Start by marking “Dead Loudmouth (Loon Lake Mystery, #16)” as Want to Read:
Dead Loudmouth (Loon Lake Mystery, #16)

Dead Loudmouth

(A Loon Lake Mystery #16)

It's a bright summer morning in Loon Lake when Police Chief Lewellyn Ferris is called to the scene of a horrific accident that occurred in the dead of night at a local gentleman's club. The club is owned by one of the victims, a member of the private Deer Creek Fishing and Hunting Preserve and the scion of a wealthy Wisconsin family. When the county coroner is unavailable ...more
Published June 1st 2016 by Gallery Books

Start your review of Dead Loudmouth (Loon Lake Mystery, #16)
LORI CASWELL
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Dollycas’s Thoughts

I have enjoyed this series from the beginning.

This time Police Chief Lewellyn Ferris is called to a gentleman’s club for two dead bodies. With the regular coroner is involved in a car accident on the way to the scene, Lew calls in “Doc” Osborne to look over the situation to determine if it was a freak accident or murder that left two people dead. She also calls in expert tracker, Ray Pradt, to advise on the case. Ray only has about an hour to scan the s
T.R. Horne
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Houston writes a pretty solid murder mystery with a twinge of police tactics and fishing references abound. She definitely sets herself apart from other murder mysteries due to her keen interest in fishing and the general down home appeal of her characters.

The synopsis of the 16th book in the series follows Chief Ferris on a hunt for a murderer that has crushed two people to death on a piano. Ferris finds through her investigation that there are many suspects with a motive to kill the two. With
Eileen Lynx
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hmmmm maybe I should try Muskie fishing.
Jamie Canaves
Great Procedural
Let’s start with: don’t be scared about the #16. You can 100% jump in here and not feel lost at all, it reads as a standalone. Police Chief Lewellyn Ferris is called when two people are found dead in a strip club. The question is whether this was an accident that lead to a pretty embarrassing way to die, or murder. At just over 200 pages this is a quick, satisfying procedural that not only takes you into the process of solving the case but also follows the community. I rank
Gloria Feit
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
From the publisher: It’s a bright summer morning in Loon Lake when Police Chief Lewellyn (“Lew”) Ferris is called to the scene of a horrific accident that occurred in the dead of night at a local “gentlemen’s club.” The club is owned by one of the victims, a member of the private Deer Creek Fishing and Hunting Club and the scion of a wealthy Wisconsin family. When the country coroner is unavailable due to a car accident, Chief Ferris deputizes her close friend and fellow fly-fisherman, retired d ...more
Nancy
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a relief to spend a day reading about my favorite small town police chief! I just finished a 600+ page non-fiction book and a VERY silly 300+ page book for my book club. It was such fun to spend the day in Loon Lake with Lew, Doc and Ray!
Joan
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
The club owner and a stripper are found crushed against the ceiling of a "gentleman's club" by a piano that is raised and lowered for performances.

In the meantime, Doc's 11 year old granddaughter, Mason, is hired for $10 a day to help Ray lead a team of college boys in a fishing tournament. While attempting to catch the mother of all muskies, her borrowed kayak is dragged off the lake and up a stream. Seeking a telephone and shelter, she stumbles on a remote hunting cabin where she f
Ellen
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always love a great Loon Lake story! They're great who-done-its and Doc and Lew are heart warmers for sure. This one had some elements that made me uneasy and squirmy. I always look forward to the next story from Victoria.
Diane Burnett
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
The mystery of who, why and how along with a storyline that seems innocent from the tragedy wraps everything up. I enjoyed this trip through the Wisconsin wilderness.
Cyndy Warnier
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fun ride

The Loon Lake series is fun. This Book brings Doc's granddaughter into the plot which makes it very interesting. Enjoyable read.
Annie
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most excellent 5 star read!
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
Kathleen
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
An unusual look at what makes people respond to others' actions, all with the usual poetic prose of Houston's excellent series set in the Wisconsin Northwoods where more than just hunting and fishing prevail. As always, Chief of Police Lew Ferris and her deputized fishing buddies, Dr. Osborne and Ray Pradt, put aside their fishing poles to look into the nefarious actions of humans, who are more dangerous than the wildlife that surrounds their town of Loon Lake.

"He could hear the rust
Pmalcpoet Pat Malcolm
I love the characters and setting, and have read the entire series. The plots are intriguing, and as the series has matured there are fewer repetitive characters (moon-faced, with straight black hair like a cap), and regionalisms in speech (some are good, too many seem hokey). More attentive editing would avoid having Doc Osborne's daughter Erin's pretty Victorian house located in Loon Lake and simultaneously "right across town" (p 89) from character Irene Niedermeier, who lives on the "west sid ...more
Grey853
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
John
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
You can't go wrong with a Loon Lake Mystery!

I have read all sixteen books in the Loon Lake Fishing Mystery series. If you like mysteries that are a little light hearted, if you like fishing in the great white north, then you will enjoy these books. I wait for every new book in this series with the Doc, Ray Pratt "the loveable fishing guide who's a bit of a scoundrel", and Chief Lewellyn Ferris. Give this series a try!
Susan
Jun 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Loon Lake sheriff Lew Ferris enlists her significant other, retired dentist Doc Osborne, to help when two people are found dead in a "gentlemen's club" near a private hunting lodge. There's a lot of fishing lore involved, along with Doc's spunky eleven-year-old granddaughter. I've read one of Houston's before, and they're acceptable, but a bit underwritten for my tastes.
Linda Spyhalski
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2016
Another book in The Loon Lake Mystery Series set in my hometown area of Rhinelander, Wis. The Author Victoria Houston was raised in Rhinelander and was a classmate of mine. I have a hard time waiting for the next book about Chief Lewellyn Ferris, the Police Chief, Doc Osborne her side kick and Ray Pradt, a fishing guide and expert tracker and the next mystery that occurs in Loon Lake!
Dianne
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed visiting with "old friends" (I've read all in the series, but truthfully, I didn't think this was a strong a story as the others in the series. I still am a fan, though, and look forward to another one.
Teri Crane
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another outstanding entry in a series that is just perfect. Highly recommended to cozy readers, especially those with Midwestern roots. The Wisconsin setting is spot-on. The characters are people you wish you knew. and there's always a mystery to puzzle over.
Kathleen Esche
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! The characters are great, the mysteries are interesting and it takes place near where I live in Boulder Junction WI. The author, Victoria Houston, gave a talk at the local library and I enjoyed it very much. These are nice easy reads without too much blood, gore or creepiness.
Jodi
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the 16th book of the series. They are quick and easy reads. I feel like Doc, Lew and Ray are old friends and enjoy keeping up with them and their lives in Loon Lake. While the book was no great thriller, they keep me interested the entire time.
Darlene
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: David Ginger
I have enjoyed all of her books and this one is no exception. These are good stories about a small town in Northern Wisconsin, a little fishing, a little mystery, and I feel like I am visiting old friends. This one was extremely good.
Calvin Daniels
Jul 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fishing-mystery
A quick read that was a bit too obvious. There was really only one logical suspect.

And short as it was, the book was slower to get off the mark than most in the series.

Still I enjoy a 'fishing mystery' and Victoria Houston's series fits that sub-genre to a 'T'.
Ann
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
another fun, "cosy mystery" set in northern Wisconsin.
Robin Halvorson
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I usually love this series but this book, while enjoyable, didn't seem quite up to par.
Mary
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
One of the guilty pleasure quick-read Loon Lake mysteries set in northern Wisconsin....fishing, familiar settings, some funny characters.
Anjel
Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Good.
Nancy Hansen
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great as usual. Read this one in one day.
Jack Goodstein
Goes a bit off the deep end with one of the oddest murders a reader is likely to come across.

• The Pawful Truth (Cat in the Stacks #11)
  • The Alpine Kindred (Emma Lord, #11)
  • Long Time Gone (J.P. Beaumont, #17)
  • Seams Like Murder (Crochet Mystery, #10)
  • Hooking for Trouble (Crochet Mystery, #11)
  • The Shaming Eyes (A Nick Drake Novel Book 3)
  • But Not Foreboding (Clint Wolf Mystery #12)
  • Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3)
  • The Center Cannot Hold: A Ray Elkins Thriller (Ray Elkins Thrillers Book 10)
  • Mountain Angel (Northstar Angels, #1)
  • Summer Angel (Northstar Angels, #2)
  • Twice Shy (Hammond Brothers, #2)
  • Once Burned (Hammond Brothers, #3)
  • Three Bedrooms, One Corpse  (Aurora Teagarden, #3)
  • Desolation Bluff
  • Smoky Mountain Tracks (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #1)
  • Wild Angel (Northstar Angels, #3)
  • Dead On The Docks: (A Dangerous Waters Thriller Series: Book Three)
She is the author of the Loon Lake Mystery Series -- DEAD ANGLER, DEAD CREEK, DEAD WATER, DEAD FRENZY, DEAD HOT MAMA, DEAD JITTERBUG, DEAD BOOGIE, DEAD MADONNA, DEAD HOT SHOT, DEAD RENEGADE. DEAD DECEIVER, DEAD TEASE and DEAD INSIDER, DEAD LIL’ HUSTLER, DEAD RAPUNZEL, DEAD LOUDMOUTH, DEAD SPIDER, DEAD FIREFLY the 18th in the series, will be published in JUNE 2018 in hardcover, trade paperback and ...more

A Loon Lake Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Dead Angler (A Loon Lake Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Creek (A Loon Lake Mystery #2)
  • Dead Water (A Loon Lake Mystery, #3)
  • Dead Frenzy (A Loon Lake Mystery, #4)
  • Dead Hot Mama (A Loon Lake Mystery,#5)
  • Dead Jitterbug (A Loon Lake Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Boogie (A Loon Lake Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Madonna (A Loon Lake Mystery, #8)
  • Dead Hot Shot (A Loon Lake Mystery, #9)
  • Dead Renegade (A Loon Lake Mystery, #10)