Start by marking “Closer” as Want to Read:

(Chicago Billionaires #1)

Contemporary Erotic Romance - Suitable for mature readers; 18+ years - Full-length, stand-alone novel with HEA. Famous Dutch architect, Sven van der Meer, has just completed the greatest achievement of his professional life—the design and construction of The Spire, Chicago’s tallest, most controversial skyscraper. But a shameful secret threatens to destroy his prestigious ...more
Published October 13th 2015 by French Kiss Press LLC (first published October 12th 2015)

Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦

➦Do you like billionaires?

➦I've never met one. But I'm sure they're mighty nice.

➦So once in a while I indulge myself in a billionaire tale or two, so sue me.

➦It's always that "regular girl falls for a spectacular rich sex on a stick man" that gets me. And you know what, I went in blind. Meh, let's face the facts, I barely ever read the blurbs these days.

➦So the book opens with a woman going for an interview in hopes of getting a PA position to some rich dude. So she gets there and it's all s
Coco.V
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
2.5 stars.

I was excited to read this book because the blurb sounded really interesting and the unusual story had me intrigued but it turned out to be just an okay read for me. I expected more.

I liked the premise of the story involving a hotter-than-hell well-known billionaire architect loosing his eyesight and in need of a fake girlfriend for four days to hide a life-changing secret.
But this was a slow burner start for me, I had a bit of a hard time getting into the story. Mostly because I had
edge of bubble
High hopes, meeting reality...

The blurb got me believing that I would read a new twist on rich assholes alphas. Finally, one who couldn't win a marathon and make money and tango at the same time, while also doing back flips and looking sexy as fuck with a well placed sweat drop enhancing his 6packs at the background. It really tried to be different but ended up uncomfortable.

Heroine was funny at first, then got emotional and lashed out -as expected from the hormonal female population... Seriousl
Carvanz
Inez is always looking for a job because she just can’t seem to keep one. She’s outspoken, unrepentant and one tough cookie but there’s a reason she has so many walls around her. Sven is losing his eyesight and will soon be losing his livelihood. He’s in need of someone to act as his significant other while helping to lead him through the social obligations he has. Despite their rocky start they quickly become something like friends and then more.

This was an enjoyable read with characters that I
Bibi
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Hawthorne wrote the BEST heroine. THE BEST. I fell off my chair laughing during the interview scene; Inez was no pushover and was a perfect match for Sven, his "Royal Alphaness". That girl was the right amount of cray cray mixed with wit and smarts. I loved this book but the ending could have been better which brought my rating down to 4 stars; otherwise, a brilliant read.
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2017, 2015
Audible review May 2017

I did a reread through audible. This is 2 years after I read the book for the first time. The narrator did a very good job. One of my biggest complaints with narrators is when a female narrator can't do the male impressions. It's very distracting if they can't read the males part successfully and I did not have that issue with this narrator. In fact she did a good job with all the different character. I could easily tell when she was reading another character. As for the s
Vasiliki
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
4 stars!

ARC kindly provided by French Kiss Press LLC via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

This is the story of Sven and Inez, two persons who have lost faith in love!

I really liked this book! The story sounded known, billionaire falls for poor, honest and proud girl but it was nothing usual about it! The billionaire had issues that had nothing to do with abused past and the girl was indeed poor, honest and proud but not naive or shy! The best part of this story was the feelings! The
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
This was one of those trawl through Amazon to find something to read finds and even though the title screams cliché it actually wasn't and I was pleasantly surprised. What drew me to this book was the synopsis and also that the heroines name is my sisters middle name (don't laugh) and so I gave it a go.

I thoroughly enjoyed the story, I loved Inez's sass and wit and how she wouldn't take crap from anyone, especially Sven. I love a broken a man and for a man that depends on his eyesight for his w
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Let me just start off by saying, I loved this story!

This author is new to me with four other titles under her belt at this time. I loved the fact that even from the first page I was delighted with the story and the fine character development.

It takes a special story to keep me up late into the wee hours and this book was one that captured my attention completely. The unique storyline, dry wit with a touch of sarcasm and the author's overall ability to tell a story beautifully had me all in!

I kno
Lady Heather

Publication date: October 13, 2015

"A copy of this book has been provided French Kiss Press via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review"

Synopsis

Famous Dutch architect, Sven van der Meer, has just completed the greatest achievement of his professional life--the design and construction of The Spire, Chicago's tallest, most controversial skyscraper. But a shameful secret threatens to destroy his prestigious career--he's losing his eyesight. Now, he's run out of time and the only woman qualifie
Raine
NetGalley Review
****ARC was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.****

This book is about a wealthy and super-hot Dutch architect, Sven, who designed the tallest Chicago skyscraper called The Spire. But he is hiding a secret that would hurt his career...he's losing his eyesight. He ends up hiring Inez to play his pretend girlfriend and help him get through the few days to help him get through the most important week of his life. Inez needs money to support her grandmother and daughter and wh
Syndi
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I like this book ok. I foind tue writting and story building is dragging. The chemistry between Sven and Inez can be explored more deeply. I feel the author putting words upon words that is not helping with the intense of the story.

The plot is promising. I like the idea a billionaire needing a stranger help because he is going blind. Character development can be explored/ edited much better.

Overal the story is OK.

3 stars
Bookgasms Book Blog
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ratula
If there is one trope I love in romance, it is the love-hate relationship stories. I absolutely adore them. There is something about the fiery passion, the tension and the ultimate connection between the hero and heroine that is a pure weakness for me. Closer was the perfect example. I loved Sven and Inez and began to root for them right away. Their story was magical!

Closer was so much more than the typical Billionaire or "pretend girlfriend" story you find nowadays. It had heart, passion, enthr
Ashley
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ttv
Rating: 3/5
(I received a free copy from the publisher, French Kiss Press LLC, via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.)
***Minor spoilers***

Inez is in a difficult situation. She's looking for a job through an agency, and she really needs the money. She has to support her grandmother and her daughter as a single mother after the father had cheated on her. She's desperate for money, and when she's given another opportunity through the agency, she takes it. She meets Sven van der Meer, a famo
Shay J
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-r4r
*whistles* Where to begin, where to begin…

This was going to be a 4 star book around 50% and then it gradually went to 3.75, then down to a 3.5 rating, which is always disappointing when you enjoy the start of something but it loses it way for you.

It started out interesting, the premise was something I absolutely knew i’d love as long as the execution was good, it just caught my eye as I was surfing NetGalley and I knew I had to request it! Like I mentioned, the beginning was good, fast paced, h
Jos
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5-3 Stars, Ehhhhh Just ok for me

OK, I know I am in the minority here but this book just didn't do it for me:( I found it so hard to connect with these characters and I think that was the biggest problem for me while reading.
Gail Atkins
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Feisty Inez is looking for a job that can support her, her baby and grandmother.
Finally she's offered a well paid job to pretend to be attractive billionaire Sven's girlfriend for the next few days; is it easier said than done?
Sven is losing his sight and he needs Inez to support him during various high-powered social events.
Feelings and sexual tension flow between the couple. Both have baggage, both have been hurt by past lovers. Can the couple make people believe that it's a real romance?
An e
Julie

description

Closer is the first book I've read by Aria Hawthorne, so I'm completely ignorant to her other novels. In her bio it says that Closer is her NEWEST erotic romance novel. To me, that insinuates that she's written other erotic romance novels, right? Well, here's my thing ... I didn't think that this was an erotic romance novel. Sure, that could be because I've read so many romance novels lately that I've turned into a giant perv and nothing shocks me anymore. It all boils down to this one question:
Jenny Wood
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Hmm, I just don't think I care for the whole billionaire romance... Everyone is so awful and pompous and catty and gross. Sven, I had compassion for because he realized how big of an A-hole he was and he fell for Inez so quickly, they fell for each other so quickly but it was believable.
What I didn't and don't like, and I have hundreds of reviews that rant about this very thing, is when the "bad guys" get away with being horrible people. Sven's brother and the other dude and his ex, seriously, I
Donna Sweeney
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kindly provided with an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review........

4.5 Stars !!!

Lordie, this just pulled on my heart strings !!. This is Inez and Sven's story. This was my first read from Aria and I must say I was very pleased with her work, the way she engaged me with the story line and characters was spot on and from start to finish I willed everything to work out alright.......thank god Aria obviously heard my subliminal call and it did !!

Sven, oh sweetie what a crushing thing
Beverly
This author is new to me and I must say the story was pretty good. It has a few clichés here and there, but they are not annoying. Must important I really felt in love with the characters.

photo tumblr_inline_nvakv5alwk1tbzls7_500_zps0lzxuvkc.gif

It's a sweet and romantic read for a lazy sunday.

magic photo 3117412_zpsa3c00262.gif
Beyond the Pages
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow! That was one thrilling ride. Sven and Inez sizzled together. I could detect the special chemistry that they shared at their initial meeting. The slow build, burn, and reconciliation were totally worth the wait.

Rating: 4/5
Recommend: Yes
Chemistry/Intensity: Yes
Conflict/Drama:Yes
Audience: Adult
Status: Contemporary Romance
Source: NetGalley review in exchange for an honest critique
Kimberly
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well that was unexpectedly awesome.
CeCe
Sep 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
HNRY - Goes downhill after half point.
Debbie Hanson
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-review
Aria Hawthorne
Netgalley review
4 stars

I dislike that feeling when a story does not grab me from those 1st few chapters , but I’m not one to give up and Closer turned out to be that one book that I can honestly say I’m glad I continued. It is not your normal billionaire romance, but a look into 2 lives vastly different that will require each other to survive. Famous architect Sven Van der Meer , has just created the Spire, a new sky scraper in Chicago. He should be living life on a high, b
Clorie
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unlimited, steamy
3 Insta Love stars

I don’t have a deep like of Insta love stories, and this fell into that for me. I prefer a slow burn or friends to lovers. So when they’re in love after 4 days it’s a meh for me. Cause it doesn’t have any base in reality for me.

I did enjoy that he loved her kid and we didn’t see or hear any more from the sperm donor. Grandma was funny and the ex girlfriend was perfectly skanky.

I would read more from this author as I liked the writing style but I don’t need billionaires. Just
Carol
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
ARC review to follow .
Wit & Wonder Books
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
** ARC PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR FOR AN HONEST REVIEW **

Loved this book....OK so I'm a sucker for a good romance novel, but the author did an amazing job. It kept me on my toes from beginning to end. It's funny, sassy and full of romance. Who doesn't love a hot moody man with an accent and a woman with lots of attitude who's not afraid to speak her mind or get bullied.

Mary Strunk
This is the first book I have read by the author and I wasn't disappointed. The author knows how to draw you into the story and have you hooked until the very end. I loved feeling the connection between the two characters and loved that you were kept on your toes. The way the characters come together to help each other will touch a place in your heart. Overall, the author did an amazing job.

Inez hasn't been able to keep a job because she is very blunt and when she needs money, she has no choice
P.e. lolo
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Sven Van Der Meer is wanting to hire someone who will be his date for a week at each function he has that week. He does not tell these women when they come for the interview what the job entails just that he needs an assistant. Inez Sanchez is the last person to show up for the interview needing money, but you do not know the reason why at first. She ends up getting the job and with it $ 5,000 dollars a day. She takes her responsibilities towards him serious and he is totally taken in by her. Bu ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Beneath Layers (Layers #3)
  • Avowed (Manipulation Trilogy, Corrupted, #3)
  • The Lover Beneath Me (The Devil Trilogy, #3)
  • Teaching Willow: Session Three  (Teaching Willow, #3)
  • Devil in Her Bed
  • Complete Me
  • Obsessed
  • Being a Jett Girl (Bourbon, #2)
  • Blue Ice (Ice #1)
  • Georgia On My Mind
  • Hindrance (The Excess, #3)
  • April Fools (April, #2)
  • Bound to You: Volume 3 (Millionaire's Row, #3)
  • Determined: To Love (Determined Trilogy, #2)

Sign up for news on Aria's latest releases and giveaways via her author newsletter .

Also, she loves to receive comments about her books from her readers on her official Facebook author page.

Bestselling author Aria Hawthorne loves writing about billionaire men who lavish their women with expensive jewelry and ravish them like queens in bed. She was named by Amazon US and UK as a Top 100 "Most Re

Chicago Billionaires (4 books)
  • Exes - A Second Chance Billionaire Romance Novel
  • Priceless
  • Devotion
“Talent can be bought and sold.  Reputations can be fabricated.  But true ingenuity cannot be stolen. And my cooperation is something you will never receive.” 0 likes
“Right now, you’re on your best behavior because this is an interview.  But in your real life, how much do you curse?” “Never.” He shifted his unpatched eye onto her.  They both knew it was a lie. “Okay, a whole fuck load.”  It was the first honest thing she had said all interview.” 0 likes