Start by marking “El traje del muerto” as Want to Read:
El traje del muerto

El traje del muerto

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  83,165 Ratings  ·  7,087 Reviews
Jude es una estrella de rock retirada que se divierte coleccionando objetos relacionados con lo sobrenatural. Decide comprar en Internet el fantasma de un hombre muerto y cuando recibe una extraña caja, que contiene el traje del muerto, empieza la pesadilla: el espectro, Craddock McDermott, está en todas partes. Y sólo quiere venganza.

---

«El traje del muerto es, sencillame
Published 2007 by Suma de Letras

To ask other readers questions about El traje del muerto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El traje del muerto

La Petite Américaine
Jun 30, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Book Burners :)
Shelves: sucked, rants
The cover of this book promises that you will be "haunted" and "startled," and that the book will even "visit you in your dreams."

Funny, as I read this "scary" novel, I couldn't help but think back to the time I read The Shining ... it was storming outside, it was 3AM and I was too afraid to put the book down, and I didn't care if I would end up wetting the bed because there was no way in hell I was going to get up and go to the bathroom. "Heart Shaped Box" also made me think back to other King
Will Byrnes
Oct 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
When aging, retired rocker Judas Coyne buys a ghost on-line, he gets more than he bargained for, as the ghost, which arrives by way of a used suit in a heart-shaped box, is no benign spirit. I was most reminded of Freddie Krueger, as the hostile ghost sets out to destroy Coyne and all those he holds dear. I was not ecstatic early on about the premise, as I believed it was insufficient to sustain a book of this length. Although I have read better horror books, this one turned out well enough. Wha ...more
Delee
3.5

This is the first book written by Joe Hill that I have read, and the fact that it was his debut is pretty impressive to me. I picked it up for a song awhile ago- never being sure if I was going to read it or not- I was worried that I wasn't going to connect with Jude and Georgia. I don't always have to like the people I am reading about, but in a ghost story- I find I really have to warm up to the main characters in order to root for their survival- As it turns out they were pretty easy to li
Dan Schwent
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2013
When aging rocker Judas Coyne buys a ghost on the internet, he doesn't take it seriously. That is, until a musty old suit shows up in a heart-shaped box. Soon, Judas begins to see the horrifying spectre of a man wearing the suit. Things take a sinister turn and people start dying so Judas and his girlfriend Georgia go looking for the woman who sold him the suit, the sister of his deceased ex-girlfriend. Can Judas stop the man in the suit from destroying his life?

After NOS4A2, I thought it best t
Sr3yas
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a ghost!

Not just any ghost, imagine a ghost with a unique set of skills like advanced interrogation skills and deep hypnotic abilities, which he acquired during his long and diverse career.

That's right, kids. The ghost in this story is Liam Neeson of Ghosts. Well, at least he started out to be Liam Neeson of ghosts, and he will find you.... and he will kill you.

But who is going to be his victim?

Meet our hero, Judas Coyne, a 54-year-old rockstar with a very rockstar-y lifestyle. Unfor
Hannah
The scariest thing about Joe Hill's debut book, Heart Shaped Box, isn't the actual story, but what lies between the front cover and the inside title page of the Harper paperback version. In it, over 18 reputable newspapers and acclaimed writers attempt to prop up little Stevie King, Jr's Joe Hill's novel with some seriously excellent reviews. Scary because all these awesome reviews lead you, the reader, to expect that Heart Shaped Box is the next BIG thing in horror.

Only it's not.

Not by a long
Buddy-read with some of my faves from the Non-Crunchy Bunch coming February 2016.

This should be a sweet little gem of a story for right around Valentine's day, no?!

3.5 Stars

I’ve never been a very good ghost story reader. I think a fundamental element of being spooked out by ghost stories begins in either a belief or a lack of DISbelief in ghosts.

I have never believed in ghosts, not even as a child around a campfire. I am missing that thundering fear of not knowing how and what could or could no
Sammy
May 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-the-good
I don't think I quite knew what I was getting into when I picked up this book. I don't know what I thought I was going to read, but it wasn't this. So a warning to you: this book, or at least the beginning of it, is pretty freaky. I'm not a wimp. I grew up on Goosebumps and Scary Stories by Alvan Schwartz, graduating on to Christopher Pike and various R.L. Stine young adult novels. I also love scary movies of all sort, so I'm not one easily freaked out. But this novel was pretty creepy, or at le ...more
Maciek
I had pretty big expectations for this novel, since it was somewhat of a happening in the horror genre and was praised by writers such as Harlan Coben and Neil Gaiman. I was pretty disappointed.
There is not a cliche that has not been used in this book, and not a single plot twist that I was not able to predict. It's a mish mash of things from various horror novels and movies - the protective dogs, the ouija board, the evil spiritualist, dead in mirrors, talking radios...
The characters are unlika
Crystal
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jude is a member of a broken up metal band,; now living on farm land with his girlfriend, manager and two dogs. He sees the perfect opportunity to bring some excitement into his life when his manager shows him an online posting for a ghost for sale.

Once his purchase arrives, Jude quickly realizes he is in for much more than he bargained for as sightings of the old man begin, as well as demons from the past being brought to life for all members of the household.

In the style I've grown to adore fr
Alissa Patrick
This book is creeeeeeeeeeeeeepy and I loved it! It's not Joe Hill's best, in my opinion (my favorite is NOS4A2, by a mile), but this one was fantastic. A good old fashioned ghost story.

For some reason, I pictured the ghost to look like this: aka the creepy guys from Buffy in the 'Hush' episode. And maybe that's why it creeped me out even more. If I saw this guy staring at me from in a car or from across the room I'd prob shit myself.

Overall, a great read and highly recommended.
joyce g
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked it! Crazy, scary fun!
Robert
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-deals
From this point forward, I shall refrain from the HEART-SHAPED BOX, heart-shaped candies, and anything else in the shape of a heart that is sent through the mail or easily consumable. As my wife can attest, this will put a significant strain on the candy industry, to the point that they may be forced to shut down operations, if only temporarily. But how could I not when this novel totally freaked me out. I have three suits, and I’m not sure I want to wear any of them ever again. Even the gray pi ...more
Richard Derus
Rating: 3.25* of five

The Publisher Says: Aging death-metal rock legend Judas Coyne is a collector of the macabre: a cookbook for cannibals...a used hangman's noose...a snuff film. But nothing he possesses is as unique or as dreadful as his latest purchase off the Internet: a one-of-a-kind curiosity that arrives at his door in a black heart-shaped box...a musty dead man's suit still inhabited by the spirit of its late owner. And now everywhere Judas Coyne goes, the old man is there—watching, wait
Christopher
This type of horror may just not be for me.

Heart-Shaped Box is about a ghost who, apparently, can't decide if it wants to kill the person it wants to kill. Our tale starts off decently enough. Aging rock star buys a ghost off the internet and that ghost decides to kill him. Almost succeeds fairly early on, too. And then... doesn't kill him. Why, you ask? Hell if I know.*

Instead, our ghost will sit in his ghost truck... not killing people. Perhaps he's just trying to drive our MC insane by drawi
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Dave's Quick Judgement -

THE DEFENSE
- The prose is very gripping.
- Many genuinely creepy moments.
- Frequent musical references add a little extra spice to the story.

THE PROSECUTION
- The main characters are rather bland.
- Dialogue is often dry and tedious.
- Some attempts to be scary teeter over to the "laughably-bad" side (the ghost rising out of a candy box and even reaching back in for his hat comes to mind).

THE VERDICT
I found this to be a good ghost story, just not a great one. But
Casey
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Casey by: Emma♔☯ (Bookishfix)
Have I mentioned how much I'm loving horror at the moment?! Gah so good, this book was perfect for my tastes and I really enjoyed it.

Rock Star Jude Coyne is living with his newest 20 year younger girl who is dubbed Georgia because that's where she's from. Jude stars off as a strange, aging, and rude rock star. Jude see's a ghost for sale and immediately buys it because why not? It works with his image he's created around himself.

The suit arrives and shit starts going down right away, the rooms
Phrynne
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scary - full of ghosts and gore and really gross stuff. Definitely a horror story and one which never lets up from start to finish. Jude, the main character, is strangely attractive despite everything and I really wanted him and Mary Beth to stay alive. I also wanted Angus and Bon to stay alive. I don't think it is a spoiler to say that some did and some didn't make it to the end. Joe Hill has the same warped imagination as his father and the final scene in Jude's father's bedroom is a great exa ...more
Nikoleta
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghostly
3,5/5 αστεράκια
Ellen Gail
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, horror

What better way to spend my Valentines Day then reading Heart-Shaped Box? For surely, this shall be a sweet and romantic tale?

Nah. GHOST STORIES! Fucking love em. Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill is a grade-A egg. (Upon googling, it appears that the hightest grade of egg is AA, which makes no fucking sense. You can't just starting throwing in extra letters. If Ralphie wasn't allowed to get a A++++++++++, then pre-birds can deal with a single A.)

Whatever. Important thing is, Heart-Spaped Box is good
Stefan Yates
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a great debut!

Now that I have that out of the way, let me start out my review by saying that Heart-Shaped Box is the creepiest, scariest new book that I have read in quite some time. Mr. Hill tells an excellent story; well thought out with wonderful character development. The thing that I really loved about his introducing us to the characters is that he just threw us into the ride with them without too much background and then built them up into very complex and likable personalities
Apatt
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, favorites
Joe Hill, definitely “a chip off the old block”, the old block being mega-author Stephen King of course. From what I have read Hill tried his best to keep his relationship with Stephen King a secret and forge his own career as an author. Happily he became a successful author before the identity of his Dad was publicly disclosed by Variety magazine. Heart-Shaped Box is his first novel, as of now I think he has four to his name, excluding comics and anthologies.

Basically Heart-Shaped Box is a stor
Kasia
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember looking at this book at my local Barnes & Nobles years ago, I was strangely drawn to the title and it's meaning which always puzzled me but the cover was intriguing, not sure what took me so long to read it but I’m so glad that I finally dived in. Sometimes it's hard to pick a new book to read but it's still a delicious torment even if you don't know what is good enough to wrap your mind around, this was a good pick and it was recommended by a friend so I read it with pretty high ...more
Becky
Oct 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephen King fans, horror fans
I've been a Stephen King fan for more than half my life. I remember reading his books at a time when other kids my age were reading "Babysitter's Club" books or "Sweet Valley" books.

I've always loved Stephen King. I wasn't sure that I would love his son, so I put off reading this book for a while after obtaining it. It may be a little neurotic, but I thought that if I didn't like Joe Hill's writing, that it would lessen my love for Stephen King's writing.

Luckily, that wasn't the case. I thorou
Snotchocheez
I kinda felt like revisiting Joe Hill (by checking out his debut novel, Heart-Shaped Box) while many of my Friends-listers have been gushing over (or excoriating: Hi Glenn!) Hill's latest, The Fireman.

I was impressed by my first encounter with his work, Horns; somewhat underwhelmed (as in: this is really a DaddyKing rip-off) by NOS4A2; but this first novel really bugged me no end. While the potential was there for a somewhat believable creep-out payoff, the story starts falling apart at about th
Bill Khaemba

Image result for black sabbath gif

I was contemplating on whether or not do a review but fuck it! Hill got my screwed up again and this time a took a trip down to his debut... After a religious experience with Horns, Otherworldy fucked up dimensions through Locke & Key and being burned by The Fireman... I was curious as to how his first book was and luckily I snubbed a copy at a used store and immediately dove in...

“Horror was roo
Steven
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
This book was VERY CREEPY. Way creepier than I anticipated from the synopsis. I stayed up late reading last night as my partner was out of town, and by the time I put the book down, it was LATE and I did NOT want to turn the lights out. I watch horror movies ALL the time, and they rarely get to me... but the ghost in this story definitely creeped his way into my mind.

*shudders*

Excellent book!
Peter Monn
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a dark journey. Check out my full review on my booktube channel at http://Youtube.com/peterlikesbooks
Stepheny
I could sit here all day and compare Joe Hill to his father Stephen King, but I find that highly unfair to do to him. What I will say is that he writes with a similar voice and also that I think one day he will be as good as his father, if not better. I feel like with every book I see a more developed writer and that is why I only gave Heart Shaped Box a 3 star rating. Actually a 3.5, but GR doesn’t give me that option…Anyway, I digress.

I really enjoyed this read and found it to be quite fun…in
Brandon
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, fiction, horror
Jude Coyne, a middle aged former front man of an immensely popular metal band, is obsessed with the occult. His assistant finds a post online advertising a ghost-for-sale and being the collector he is, Jude decides that he must have it. When a heart-shaped package shows up, it contains nothing but an old raggedy suit. However, it isn't long before the suit brings about unexplained events and spooky behaviour throughout Coyne’s mansion. With his sanity hanging by a thread, can Jude exorcise the d ...more
Vampires, Weres a...: Heart-Shaped Box 19 19 Sep 12, 2017 09:31PM
Horror Aficionados : July group listen- Heart Shaped Box 22 84 Jul 25, 2017 10:02PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill - Restarting May 1st 2017 39 54 May 14, 2017 11:23AM
Stephen King Fans: Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill 67 203 Apr 07, 2017 07:47PM
  • The Loveliest Dead
  • Mr. Shivers
  • The Summer I Died (The Roger Huntington Saga, #1)
  • Ghost Road Blues (Pine Deep, #1)
  • The Missing (Keeper, #2)
  • Naomi's Room
  • Ghoul
  • Dweller
  • Full Dark, No Stars
  • Seed
  • Low Red Moon (Chance Matthews #2)
  • Kin
  • The Best of Joe R. Lansdale
  • The Pilo Family Circus
Joe Hill's debut, Heart-Shaped Box, won the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel. His second, Horns, was made into a film freakfest starring Daniel Radcliffe. His other novels include NOS4A2, and his #1 New York Times Best-Seller, The Fireman... which was also the winner of a 2016 Goodreads Choice Award for Best Horror Novel.

He writes short stories too. Some of them were gathered together in
More about Joe Hill

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $15.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)
  • Palm Trees in the Snow
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Horror was rooted in sympathy . . . in understanding what it would be like to suffer the worst.” 76 likes
“All the world is made of music. We are all strings on a lyre. We resonate. We sing together.” 52 likes