Start by marking “Arrive at Easterwine: The Autobiography of a Ktistec Machine” as Want to Read:
Arrive at Easterwine: The Autobiography of a Ktistec Machine

Arrive at Easterwine: The Autobiography of a Ktistec Machine

Arrive at Easterwine is either fiendishly good or criminally terrible. It would take several readings to know for sure. On its surface, Arrive is about the creation of a self-aware supercomputer tasked with three problems: find true leadership, true love & the true shape of the universe. The narrative style is reminiscent of Russia's Olesha, or perhaps a William Faulkner w ...more
Unknown Binding, 216 pages
Published January 1st 1971 by Scribner Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Arrive at Easterwine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arrive at Easterwine

Start your review of Arrive at Easterwine: The Autobiography of a Ktistec Machine
Nate D
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: impure scientists
Recommended to Nate D by: patterns in badger-marrow
R.A. Lafferty writes like a science fiction outsider artist. His voice is uniquely conversational but carefully elaborated and syntactically his own, his themes seem burningly personal and earnest though perhaps obscure to anyone else, and his plotlines, even when seeded with tropes, are anything but ordinary.

Here, a powerful, barn-sized A.I. constructed along lines that sound more like an act of conjuring or summoning than proper engineering (as befits the Institute for Impure Sciences), under
Stephen
2.0 to 2.5 stars. First off, let me say that this is the second R.A. Lafferty book I have read. The first one, Fourth Mansions, I thought was brilliant and just loved.

That said, this book kind of lost me (and not in a good way). While filled with some incedible imagery and some very funny dialogue and observations about the human condition, the narrative was too disjointed and confusing to follow with any sense of enjoyment. I believe this might be a great book to read in small doses as the wri
Printable Tire
This one started out almost like a science fiction story but quickly delved deep into all-ass craziness and never looked back. Like all stylistic authors I like, I've come to realize R.A. Lafferty is good in small doses- undiluted hits of him in quick succession drive me a little wacko.

I have to take some points away from this novel because the "plot" was pretty convoluted, and that's saying something as Lafferty will never be known for his intricate plots.

It also has an incredibly weak ending,
Erik Graff
Sep 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lafferty fans
Recommended to Erik by: Rick Strong
Shelves: sf
During freshman year at Grinnell College, Rich Hyde and I roomed next to Rick Strong on the third floor of Loose Hall. Rick, an aspiring bassist a year older than us, was from the Bronx, had an engaging sense of humor, shared my interest in sf and wrote pretty well himself.

Rick dropped out of Grinnell after my sophomore year, finishing out east somewhere. Fortuitously, he was in New York City when I went on to graduate school and our friendship was renewed. Indeed, it continues.

Among the authors
Theo Logos
May 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-misc
This is a mad, fever dream of a book, full of erudite nonsense. At points it felt like a crazy cut up of the works of Aquinas and Bazooka Joe comics. It baffled me, made me laugh, and made me wish that I was clever and erudite enough myself to have more than a dim vision of just what the hell Lafferty was attempting.
Xabi1990
Dec 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1/10. Media de los 5 libros leídos del autor : 3/10

Mucha ficción, poca -nada- ciencia y mucha ida de olla los libros e este autor. No es lo mío, no.
Olivier Raoux
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Epikt est une machine pensante créée par l'Institut pour la science impure afin de répondre aux différentes questions existentielles que se posent les membres de cette glorieuse institution. Pour cela, Epikt dispose de la connaissance et de la mémoire de ses créateurs mais aussi de celles de toutes les créatures vivantes qu'elle désire.

« Puisque je sais tout de vous, qui que vous soyez, il n'est que juste que vous appreniez quelques petites choses de moi. Depuis que j'ai appris à extraire le pr
Mathieu
May 23, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Alors il paraît que ce roman est le chef-d'œuvre de R. A. Lafferty.

Et ben punaise, ça donne pas envie d'aller voir le reste !

Le roman commence plutôt bien pourtant. On nous présente une bande de scientifiques géniaux, mais un brin dérangés (mais n'est-ce pas le propre des génies d'être dérangés ?) qui finalisent le lancement d'une intelligence artificielle de haut niveau. Cette I.A. est sensé pouvoir résoudre tous les problèmes de l'Humanité et la mener au bonheur.

Point intéressant, le récit est
Will
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Will by: 166
This novel turns a closer eye on the inhabitants of The Institute, first introduced in "Through Others' Eyes". It is appealing to have Epikt as the view point for this.

The narrative is loosely organized around the prophecy (made by whom it is never clear) that the Institute for Impure Science must be launched by means of "three great failures", but is more a series of vignettes than a coherent plot. So lovers of Lafferty's novels may be disappointed. But still worth the read.
Christian Schwoerke
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Lafferty's sci-fi novels seldom entertained as well as his stories, and this is another that frustrates, too full of diverse things that don't ever coalesce. His stories are superb, and his novel Okla Hannali is one of my all-time favorites.
Jim Osmer

• Agile Project Management with Kanban
  • Three Novels
  • A Darkness In My Soul
  • The Time Axis
  • Uncle John's Great Big Bathroom Reader (Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, #11)
  • On Wheels
  • To Outrun Doomsday
  • Up the Walls of the World
  • Ghosts & UFOs: Connecting Paranormal Phenomena through Quantum Physics
  • Legionnaires Book Two
  • In the Footsteps of Little Crow
Raphael Aloysius Lafferty, published under the name R.A. Lafferty, was an American science fiction and fantasy writer known for his original use of language, metaphor, and narrative structure, as well as for his etymological wit. He also wrote a set of four autobiographical novels, a history book, and a number of novels that could be loosely called historical fiction.