Start by marking “The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3)” as Want to Read:
The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3)

The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  33,540 Ratings  ·  1,733 Reviews
In this delicious sequel to The Eyre Affair and Lost in a Good Book, Fforde's redoubtable heroine Thursday Next once again does battle with philistine bibliophobes.

The eagerly anticipated third installment in the bestselling Thursday Next series—a genre-bending blend of crime fiction, fantasy, and top-drawer literary entertainment

Thursday Next definitely needs some down t
Published August 3rd 2004 by Penguin Books (first published February 23rd 2004)

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane SetterfieldFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
Stories For Book Lovers
1,692 books — 3,436 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanMe Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Best Humorous Books
3,609 books — 6,696 voters

More lists with this book...

James
Book Review
3 of 5 stars to The Well of Lost Plots, the third thriller and mystery book in the "Thursday Next" series written in 2003 by Jasper Fforde. For those new to the series, it's a detective story where crimes occur inside books, and real-life people can jump inside the book to fix the problem or solve the crime. In book 3, things take a bit of a turn... Thursday, the main investigator, needs some down time, and goes to the "Well of Lost Plots," where unpublished books go to die. But c
Lena
Mar 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I’m sad to say I didn’t enjoy this book anywhere near as much as the first two in the series. While I think Fforde’s choice to set the action almost entirely in the Bookworld was an intriguing one, I also got the sense he was in over his head.

Like many of the partially completed books in the Well of Lost Plots, there is a great amount of creativity on display here, but also a lot of half-baked ideas and poorly developed characters. The action took place in so many different settings and with su
Stephen
5.0 to 5.5 stars. I liked this book so much that when I finished it I had to really wonder whether I should go back and re-read the first two books in the series (which I have 4 stars and 3 stars respectively). The writing was absolutely superb, the plot was engaging and very original and the literary references hysterical. I found myself more than once jumping to Wikipedia to find out from which book a particular character or reference originated.

A few fun examples (1) a rage counseling sessio
F.R.
Oct 02, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In which my irritation at this series reaches a boiling point.

I had an odd reaction to the two previous Thursday Next novels, a curious mixture of subtle enjoyment and distinct annoyance. The enjoyment came from the fact that I’m a man who loves books and they were distinctly literary reads. But there was also a huge amount of quirkiness (never a quality I particularly like) and an arch ‘oh-isn’t-this-soooo-clever!’ self-satisfaction to the proceedings. There were points in the previous books wh
Jim
This one took a bit more time to get going than the previous two. The point wasn't really clear until a third of the way through, but that's not awful. It's a lot of fun just visiting this strange world - even stranger since most of this one was in the book world, not the 'real' one.

The book world provides so many wonderful opportunities for fun & humor. Mrs. Havisham, the depressing spinster from Great Expectations, loves to drive fast so it only makes sense she has a rivalry with Mr. Toad
Carmen
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Literature lovers, people who like funny books
Recommended to Carmen by: Library
3rd BOOK IN THE "THURSDAY NEXT" SERIES. THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE PREVIOUS TWO BOOKS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. NO SPOILERS FOR THIS VOLUME (#3)

Thursday Next is a war veteran. She has traveled into books. She has worked for Special Ops. She has fought a Supreme Evil Being. Her skills and smarts are legendary.

Thursday Next is pregnant. The father, her husband Landon, is dead - eradicated by those Goliath Corporation bastards. They traveled back in time and killed him as a 2-year-old. It's
Jenny
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
*****3.5*****
This is an interesting continuation of Thursday's story. Now, she's living in the Book World, planning to stay and rest for a year until she has her baby, when she'll return to the Outland and continue trying to bring Landen back.
The beginning of the book moves verrrrry slowly. Some of the conflicts that will come to a head at the end of the book are introduced, but they are just blurbs at first. Most of the "action" consists of Thursday meeting and interacting with other Jurisfict
Honor
Jul 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Writers and other book nerds.
I seem somewhat doomed to find series via a book somewhere in the middle. I'm sure it happens to everyone, but it -feels- like it happens to me a bit more often.

So... Except for people who find it accidentally, who'd read a review of this book? Likely someone who's interested in perhaps reading it... Who, I'd guess, would be someone who's already read the first two. So, this review's probably useless. None the less....

This book (as I'm sure is true for the rest of the series) is meant as somethi
Anthony Eaton
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was surprised to see how many people didn't like this one as much as the first two. Personally, I loved it. Interestingly though, before I launched into the Thursday next books, I had already read the 1st 2 of Fforde's ' Nursery Crimes’ series, which intersects loosely with the book world setting of this 3rd novel, and for me a large part of the reading pleasure here was in the cleverness of that intersection, And so perhaps that has some impact upon the way I read the book.

Like the previous 2
Hank
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
DNF at 70% The title is supposed to be a description of the location of most of the book. Lost plots and generic characters abound, unfortunately what it really describes is the book itself. Overly clever, steeped in literary geekdom and lame, in your face, characterizations. Not much to like about this book even Thursday was a miss. 2 stars for a few scattered funny moments and Thursday's gran.
Lisa Vegan
Mar 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: almost anyone who enjoys humor, mysteries, sci-fi, fantasy, the English language, and books
I slogged through most of the first fifth or so of this book; I preferred Thursday in her “real” world of the first two books. I was concerned that this third book wouldn’t be as enjoyable as I’d expected it would be. I ended up loving it though, and laughed as much as I did while reading the first two books, and cared as much about Thursday and certain other characters as much as well.

This book was kind of all over the place more than the first two books in the series, but there were so many wo
Oct 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
There's something in me that wants to dislike these books, but I just can't. They are both absurd and ridiculously clever, and stuffed full of jokes that only a gramma(rfan) could love. I appreciate that Fforde explodes the formulae of every genre he skewers, refusing to return his characters to the starting block for the next book. I sometimes find everything a little too clever and self-congratulatory, and the quotes that start the chapters irritate me with their look-ma-no-exposition expositi ...more
Sandi
Oct 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008, fantasy, funny-stuff
I jumped right into "The Well of Lost Plots" after finishing "Lost in a Good Book". I think I'm ready for some other reading for a while.

"The Well of Lost Plots" was a pretty interesting book, and it was fun. But, there wasn't a lot of plot to it and it jumped around a lot. Once again, Thursday's primary problem remains unresolved. I hope it gets taken care of in the next volume.

Oh, and I think I need to read "Great Expectations".
Anna
Aug 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Outlanders with humor
In this third book, Thursday Next goes for a small holiday in a poorly written and unpublished novel in the Well of Lost Plots within the Book World. While there, she ends up joining the Book World police (Jurisfiction) as an apprentice to the Dickens Great Expectations character Mrs Haversham.

As in the previous two novels, this one if full of funny dialogues and meetings with characters from some of the great classics (Dickens, Brontë and Verne are just a few).

The books really revolves around
Angela
Jul 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing. I'm convinced that Fforde is one of the most brilliant authors writing fiction today.

The Well of Lost Plots, rather than being more of the same from the world of Thursday Next and Jurisfiction, is something fresh, still original, never boring, and simply... fabulous. I adore this series for so many reasons... not the least of which being that it, much like Harry Potter or Abarat, is too often viewed as a children's book when it (and the others) are really nothing of the sort.
Dan
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thursday Next leaves her strange version of Swindon behind to take a sort-of maternity leave in the Bookworld. As part of the character exchange program she finds herself in the poorly written book Caversham Heights. But whilst she's in Bookworld she still has duties to attend to, whether that be an Alice in Wonderland trial, helping Miss Havisham run anger management groups in Wuthering Heights or try and work out what's wrong with the new book operating system UltraWorld.

It's an interesting mo
Cindy
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those looking for something different
Just got this one and had to read it right away. I was going to wait, as I still haven't read Lost in a Good Book, but I picked it up just to look through it and I couldn't put it down. I'm not even sure really why I like this series so much. Maybe just because it is so different. Or maybe it's all the Lewis Carroll stuff. But it was really good and I'm anxious to read more in this series.
Stephen Richter
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
If you have a robust knowledge of British Literature and a working knowledge of the constructs of the novel, this is the novel for you. Once again Jasper Fforde's protagonist Thursday Next is thrown into a literary adventure that includes the Cheshire Cat, a Dodo and an Out of Print Explorer who is trying to sell his adventures on the sly in the Well of Lost Plots. The audio is narrated by Emily Gray who does a fine job in voicing the vast numbers of characters . On to the next Thursday Next boo ...more
Ms. Smartarse
Oct 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: literature buffs, fans of the series
I started The Well of Lost Plots still high on my post-Lost in a Good Book excitement. Unfortunately, this time I didn't manage to immerse myself into the fictional world of Thursday Next.

The story picks up right where its prequel left off: Thursday's arrival in the unpublished, sub-par murder mystery, unlikely to ever see the light of printing. As part of the so-called "Character Exchange Program", our heroine is temporarily replacing the main character's side kick.

To be fair, certain aspects o
cloudyskye
There is not much happening here to bring the actual story forward, but a trip into the world of books and smooth, articulate writing is always a pleasure.
Elderberrywine
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This series is really becoming more and more delightful. No summary of the plot would make a lick of sense, but suffice it to say, we lost the glorious Miss Havisham this time around; lost in an automobile race with Mr. Toad (who, it must be said, was terribly cut up about it).

But then the chapter was called The Final Bow, and so I have hopes that perhaps it wasn't quite as final?

"There's an east wind coming, Watson."

"I think not, Holmes. It is very warm."

"Good old Watson! You are the one fix
Martine
In the third instalment of the series, real life becomes a bit too dangerous for Thursday, so she goes into hiding in the book world. And not just any part of the book world, but the Well of Lost Plots, where unpublished novels languish. Here, while the pernicious Aornis Hades tries to erase her memories, Thursday continues her training to become a Jurisfiction agent. Which is not as easy as it might sound, for characters are failing to show up for their Rage Control Meetings, murderous Minotaur ...more
Skylar Burris
Dec 23, 2007 rated it it was ok
In this third installment of the Thursday Next literary mystery series, our agent finds herself working for Jurisfiction in the Book World, residing in one of the unpublished novels to be found in the Well of Lost Plots. Fforde creates a clever fantasy world and uses numerous literary puns, which make The Well of Lost Plots worth reading. The story itself, however, is not really gripping, and Thursday's character has never seemed well developed or "real" to me. I keep reading this series because ...more
Stewie's Mom
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved, love, loved this book. I mean, really loved this book. I didn't remember the first or the second books in this series being quite so witty and funny. I really enjoyed the way Mr. Fforde writes and I think Thursday may well be my new favorite character. I wanted to go back and re-read the first two books in the series to see if I missed something. This book was so funny and I loved the way the chapters began with an absurd news article or an insight of Thursday's thoughts via her journal ...more
Niki Vervaeke
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mijn derde Jasper Fforde en ik moet toegeven dat ik verslaafd geworden ben aan de boekenwereld van Thursday. Het is boekengerelateerd op zoveel manieren dat je het amper kunt volgen, origineel, met de nodige laagjes (er zit ook een hoop politiek in, totaal onverwacht) creatieve taalspelletjes (je moet wel van Engels houden, ik heb geen idee hoe dit vertaald zou kunnen worden) en spanning!
Ideale vakantielectuur

Gwen
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fforde-dipendenza

Un autore semplicemente geniale... a cui chiederei in prestito uno "stanaripetizioni" e team annesso ogni volta che mi trovo a scrivere ;-)
Qui la mia recensione:
Victoria
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-favs
Brilliant! Possibly the best yet! Love this series and it's getting better and better!
Amanda Milburn
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Books are magic". You said it best, Mr Fforde. Another masterpiece for lovers of literature
Bella
Sep 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Bookworms
Tis awesome so far. A truly marvelous plotline, with amazing contraptions thrown in. Ingenious.
2015 Reading Chal...: The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde 4 37 Mar 31, 2015 01:21PM
List of Characters 2 17 Sep 08, 2014 02:48PM
safe to read this one first, first one later? 12 63 Jun 20, 2014 03:00PM
  • Nostradamus Ate My Hamster
  • Letters from LA
  • The Unbearable Lightness Of Being In Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #3)
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • Witches Abroad (Discworld, #12; Witches #3)
  • To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel, #2)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant, #3)
  • The Better Mousetrap (J. W. Wells & Co., #5)
  • Johannes Cabal the Detective (Johannes Cabal, #2)
  • The Bookman's Promise (Cliff Janeway, #3)
  • Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures (Zamonia, #3)
  • The Game (Mary Russell, #7)
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists
Fforde began his career in the film industry, and for nineteen years held a variety of posts on such movies as Goldeneye, The Mask of Zorro and Entrapment. Secretly harbouring a desire to tell his own stories rather than help other people tell their's, Jasper started writing in 1988, and spent eleven years secretly writing novel after novel as he strove to find a style of his own that was a no-man ...more
More about Jasper Fforde

Thursday Next (8 books)
  • The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1)
  • Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2)
  • Something Rotten (Thursday Next, #4)
  • First Among Sequels (Thursday Next, #5)
  • One of Our Thursdays Is Missing (Thursday Next, #6)
  • The Woman Who Died a Lot (Thursday Next, #7)
  • Dark Reading Matter (Thursday Next, #8)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“After all, reading is arguably a far more creative and imaginative process than writing; when the reader creates emotion in their head, or the colors of the sky during the setting sun, or the smell of a warm summer's breeze on their face, they should reserve as much praise for themselves as they do for the writer - perhaps more.” 1897 likes
“Books may look like nothing more than words on a page, but they are actually an infinitely complex imaginotransference technology that translates odd, inky squiggles into pictures inside your head.” 292 likes