Start by marking “The Gift of Southern Cooking: Recipes and Revelations from Two Great American Cooks” as Want to Read:

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  290 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Edna Lewis--whose The Taste of Country Cooking has become an American classic--and Alabama-born chef Scott Peacock pool their unusual cooking talents to give us this unique cookbook. What makes it so special is that it represents different styles of Southern cooking--Miss Lewis's Virginia country cooking and Scott Peacock's inventive and sensitive blending of new tastes wi ...more
Published April 15th 2003 by Knopf Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Gift of Southern Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gift of Southern Cooking

Ryann Murphy
Mar 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Marcie
I know what you are thinking - a cookbook, Ryann? Really? Yes! I have an unreasonable fascination with Southern Cooking and I devoured this cookbook like it was a big ol' bowl of peach cobbler smothered in hand-churned vanilla ice cream. Written by two great chefs, each from a different generation and a different part of the South, the recipes also describe Southern heritage and friendships. A beautiful book that I might just need to add to my own personal collection. I cannot wait to try many o ...more
Sarah KKKKKKKK irnon
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
MUST MUST MUST have on your shelf, Edna Lewis ended her days living with Scott peacock, From the stories in this cookbook this man truly respects the skills of this culinary legend.
I have tried 90 % of the recipes , and everyone of them executes well, in my estimation , that makes this a damn good cookbook. Whoop whoop.
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I think if I could have one Southern cookbook, this might be it ... which is saying something, because I have about 25 Southern cookbooks. This book has the tried and true recipes that you want to make -- for example, I want the very best recipe for biscuits, and I also would like a little of the history behind it, and the "secret" tips for how to make them perfect. This book delivers, with two recipes -- one for "angel biscuits," which are buttermilk biscuits with added yeast, and then traditio ...more
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooks-books
Very good meat recipes. We liked everything, but pretty simple stuff. I'd love to eat the fried chicken and the pork roast again
Pamela Andenes
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Long before I knew who these two people were I saw an article in Food and Wine with Thanksgiving recipes. It was Lewis and Peacock. The Ultimate Mac and Cheese is to die for. And Edna's dressing (or stuffing) for the turkey was spot on. I had been making these for years before I knew there was a book. Gotta cut down on the cookbooks.

Hungry for the old time simple stick to your ribs food? Then you should try this. Simple ingredients and technique. But all about the best and freshest food you can
Kimberly Hammond
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was awesome! Not just a cookbook - fun and interesting stories about Edna Lewis. I loved stories behind recipes - some of them reminded me of childhood meals and experiences. The recipes combined with the stories made me want to try recipes for foods I have never had. This is the kind of cookbook I would like to own.
Jun 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book on southern cooking. Because many of the recipes use regional, in-season ingredients it has classic southern recipes and some long-forgotten ones. Since the growing season in the South is long this book has many of the recipes needed to make relishes or jellies from late season vegetables. Chow-chow is my absolute favorite along with tomato gravy and chess pie. The book has commentary and tips throughout and gives readers a good understanding of the chefs, techniques an ...more
John Mckinstry
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Classic southern dishes. I've been trying to remake many of the memories I have from my South Carolina grandmother's spectactular meals, some successfull re-creations and some, not-so-much.

This book by Edna and Scott, has many of the flavors and tastes I remember from those early days in the old South.
Apr 17, 2012 added it
Shelves: cookbooks
I have made the angel biscuits a few times...her iced tea is the best method around and tonight I am making Grandmaw Peacock's Chicken and Rice! This is a fantastic cookbook..I have it checked out from the library, but this is a definite future purchase!
Nat Koe
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful cookbook on southern cooking. This is a great book for those that like to garden and want to know recipes that our grandmothers and great grandmothers used for every item in the garden. This book is definitive on southern cooking.
Jenny Greenhalgh
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
seriously inspirational and one of the most underrated cook books ever. every chef and cook should own a copy. I'm lucky enough to have met and lunched with Scott and he's every bit as wonderful as his and Edna's book. if you never buy another cookbook again make sure you have this.
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you love to cook and eat great food, this is the book. The flavors are true to the South. I' ve made most of the receipes. You do have to corral your grease gene and cut some lard from the ingredients or have a standing appoint with a cardiologist!
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
This book comes across as pretentious and tedious.
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is where my sweet tea addiction began for me - awesome!
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
An amazing story of friendship over and about a perfect pie crust.
Rich Boyett
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I normally don't include cook books in my goodreads adventures but this book was a pleasure.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Edna Lewis is the acknowledged queen of Southern cuisine and her cookbooks are chock full of information in addition to recipes
Terry Gorman
Apr 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Edna Lewis is one of a few cooks with which I would have loved to spend a weekend - at her elbow with tons of questions!
Jan 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
love love love love it. everything in here is pure gold. also, not a single recipe calls for olive oil. :)
Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Continuing to embrace my Southern heritage through food. This one is exceptional!
Jan 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Southern cookbook. We use it all the time. Often, I have to make changes to make things a little healthier but I just love Edna Lewis so much!
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The Homemade Macaroni and Cheese Receipe is my favorite.
Edna is such a wonderful cook and story teller, I love her recipies
Cathy Moore
Ashley F
Aug 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Screen Doors and Sweet Tea: Recipes and Tales from a Southern Cook
  • Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
  • Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations
  • Morimoto: The New Art of Japanese Cooking
  • Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts
  • Flatbreads  Flavors
  • 1080 Recipes
  • Frank Stitt's Southern Table: Recipes and Gracious Traditions from Highlands Bar and Grill
  • The Boozy Baker: 75 Recipes for Spirited Sweets

• Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
    $15.99 $2.99
  • Twilight of the Elites: America After Meritocracy
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Art of Living: The Classical Manual on Virtue, Happiness, and Effectiveness
    $10.49 $1.99
  • The Crosswicks Journals: A Circle of Quiet, The Summer of the Great-Grandmother, The Irrational Season, and Two-Part Invention
    $29.99 $3.99