Start by marking “Heaven is a Beautiful Place: A Memoir of the South Carolina Coast” as Want to Read:
Heaven is a Beautiful Place: A Memoir of the South Carolina Coast

Heaven is a Beautiful Place: A Memoir of the South Carolina Coast

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Peterkin recounts stories of her family circle -- white and black -- and her lowcountry home. She shares her insiders' knowledge of the Lowcountry plantations, gardens, and beaches.
Published April 1st 2000 by University of South Carolina Press

To ask other readers questions about Heaven is a Beautiful Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven is a Beautiful Place

Sandy
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
For anyone who has been to Murrell's Inlet, there's a lot to like about this book. The author captures completely the uniqueness and beauty of the area and the people.I would have preferred a little less personal memoir and a little more Low Country memoir, hence the 4 stars instead of 5, but this is an easy read and a charming one.
Lynn
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
This should be of special interest to those interested in the history of the Low Country. The descriptions of the setting and events in old-timey Murrell's Inlet are a delight.
Hubert Kleinpeter
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The reviews of this book are largely about life in the coastal area of South Carolina; and even one review complains that they "would have preferred a little less personal memoir." But, the motivation by the author to write this was deeply personal: i.e. the accidental death of her 20 year old son "Jimmy Peterkin. I knew "Jimmy," he was my best friend when I was sixteen. Though most who are attracted to read this book are interested in social life of those times, the real story is about the deat ...more
Carol
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed reading this book. A memoir of a lady and her family growing up in the town of Murrells Inlet On the South Carolina Coast. Having visited their I really did enjoy this book. Very well written.
Glo
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A great read. Being familiar with the area made it that much more real for me. If you want to know more about what it was like to live in Murrellls Inlet and learn about its uniqueness, you will enjoy this read.
Kristen
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
My favorite parts were about Brookgreen Gardens, Alice Flagg, the Grey Man, Murrells Inlet, Sandy Island and the Hurricanes. It was a cute read about places I knew growing up.
EDITH SEIBOLD
Sep 22, 2015
Kippasmith
Oct 13, 2016
Anne
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books. Ever.
Elisa