Start by marking “El viejo y el mar” as Want to Read:
El viejo y el mar

El viejo y el mar

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  837,676 ratings  ·  25,489 reviews
This short novel, already a modern classic, is the superbly told, tragic story of a Cuban fisherman in the Gulf Stream and the giant Marlin he kills and loses — specifically referred to in the citation accompanying the author's Nobel Prize for literature in 1954.
Published 2000 by Editorial Planeta S.A. (first published September 1st 1952)

To ask other readers questions about El viejo y el mar, please sign up.
Marilyn There are so many great kids' books! What is wrong with a kid reading kids' books? Save this one for later when he can understand the depth of the boo…moreThere are so many great kids' books! What is wrong with a kid reading kids' books? Save this one for later when he can understand the depth of the book.

Shiloh by Naylor
Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Lad A Dog by Terhune
Lassie
Rascal (it's about a raccoon) by North

There is a great series about a pig named Freddy who has all sorts of adventures. Walter Brooks wrote his series in the 1950's. IF you can find any of them they are wonderful. Freddy becomes a detective, he writes a newspaper, he goes to school and plays baseball. He travels to Florida and also to the North Pole.
(less)
Titia Lenzhölzer-Maas The first thought I had after finishing the book was: "It is not about whether you win or lose, it's about how you play the game." To me, that is what…moreThe first thought I had after finishing the book was: "It is not about whether you win or lose, it's about how you play the game." To me, that is what this book is all about.

Knowing who you are, trusting yourself, seeing things from different perspectives yet not in a doubtful way, and giving it all you have got. That's what I admire. That is what I found in this little book. (less)

·  837,676 ratings  ·  25,489 reviews

Start your review of El viejo y el mar
Matt
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-novels
I read this as a young man and was disappointed. It didn't work for me. I thought it was about a crazy old man gone off the reservation, picking a fight with an innocent fish while ranting about the New York Yankees ("I would like to take the great DiMaggio fishing. They say his father was a fisherman...").

I picked it up again, after the passage of some years, and found it incredibly poignant.

It's a simple story. There's an old man, Santiago, who is a fisherman fallen on hard times. He is cared
Sara
Apr 22, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anyone-fiction
Oh, my good lord in heaven. Cut your line, land your boat and go to McDonald's! Just as in the case of The Great Gatsby, I understand the book. Yes, I know it changed the way American writers write. I also understand that it celebrates the ridiculous American idea that you're only a REAL man if you've done something entirely purposeless, but really dangerous, in pursuit of making yourself look like the bull with the biggest sexual equipment. Get over it, already! Go home and clean out the refrig ...more
Matt
Nov 28, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mermaids
Worst book ever.

Just throw the fucking fish back in. Fuck.
Madeline
"There isn't any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The sharks are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is shit. What goes beyond is what you see beyond when you know."

-Ernest Hemingway
Will Byrnes
It is intimidating to offer a truly critical look at such a classic, so we will ease into it with a few images.

The GOP has offered us a ready-made item to begin this list, and yes, I know that John Stewart already snagged this one and threw it back.
description

I turned up a visual art concept that fits in, for a restaurant based on EH themes:description

Although I did not sit for this photo, the resemblance is indeed strikingdescription

And, of course
description
The Old Man and the Cee Lo.

I suppose am certain there are plenty more images on
Stephen
hemingway-1-1 v2

My very first time reading Papa and I absolutely LOVED IT. Sometimes the experience you have with a book can be effected by many things beyond the narrative itself, and I think that is certainly the case here. While I believe I would have loved this story regardless, there is no doubt that the stars aligned themselves perfectly to make this a singularly special read for me.

Let me explain...

Last year, I was in Napa with my wife and two of our best friends celebrating my (oh shit!!) 40th birt
Ahmad Sharabiani
521. The Old Man and The Sea, Ernest Hemingway

The Old Man and the Sea is a short novel written by the American author Ernest Hemingway in 1951 in Bimini, Bahamas, and published in 1952.

It was the last major work of fiction by Hemingway that was published during his lifetime. One of his most famous works, it tells the story of Santiago, an aging Cuban fisherman who struggles with a giant marlin far out in the Gulf Stream off the coast of Cuba.

In 1953, The Old Man and the Sea was awarded the Pul
Kenny
"But man is not made for defeat" he said. "A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The Old Man and the Sea ~~ Ernest Hemingway

I first encountered Hemingway in college while taking a humanities class; the professor had us read Hemingway’s The Nick Adams Stories . I fell in love with Hemingway’s short stories. I wrote an impassioned paper on the character of Nick and received an “A” for my efforts. Throughout the years, I have returned to Hemingway’s short stories, and novellas, and I ha
Riku Sayuj
The wolves will come...

I started this in high spirits as my updates show: "fifth re-read, how thrilling it is to plumb new depths in old wells of wisdom..."

But, as I read on towards the last few pages, I couldn't shake the feeling that this is Moby Dick set in an alternate universe.

In this alternate universe:

The Giant Leviathan is a noble, unseen fish - steady and without malice.
Captain Ahab is transformed into a gentle, wise old zen master. Santiago - a humble fisherman with no legendary crew t
Lisa
My children and I were crossing a bridge in Rome. Our senses were acutely sharpened. We were aware of each minute spent in this capital of human storytelling, of the neverending drama of human culture and nature in interaction and in occasional clashes. Looking out over the river, my son and I spot the sorry remains of a boat, just the bare metal frame without any "flesh", and we instinctively say at the same time:

"Hemingway's old man!"

We look at each other, smile at our simultaneous associati
David Putnam
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. One of my favorites. I really don't understand why this book doesn't have a higher overall rating. I like Hemingway and I think this is one of his better ones. I guess it's because it doesn't get in the way of itself like some of his other works. This one is straightforward, great descriptions in a man vs nature story.
Highly recommend.
David Putnam author of The Bruno Johnson series.
Fergus
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On July 2, 1961, Heaven and the world fell silent.

When a just man dies
Lamentation and praise
Sorrow and joy
Are one.

And some suicides, as Scobie’s in The Heart of the Matter, are - no matter what dour theologians May say - Trophies of Heaven.

Such, surely, was Hemingway’s.

That sunny, windy summer morning we all got the news, even my preteen friends and I were taciturn and sullen.

Ernest Hemingway had been a Hero in our world. Life and Time magazines said so, and they were the gospel truth for our p
Brina
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ernest Hemingway is considered one of the masters of American 20th century fiction. Garnering from his life experiences, his novels reflect on his time as a newspaper reporter and correspondent in a Europe during both the inner war and war years. A member of the lost generation, Hemingway was the first of his group to have a major work published. In addition to all of the accolades bestowed upon him, Hemingway is considered along Steinbeck to be a master storyteller, especially of short stories. ...more
Lyn
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A masterpiece.

Like a fable, this has become a part of our cultural consciousness. Santiago's simple heroism is a benchmark for all who persevere and endure.

Jibran
My big fish must be somewhere.

Many years ago when I read The Old Man and the Sea I thought it was going nowhere, that it was too simple and ordinary to be of any consequence. On a second reading, however, my view changed and I ended up loving it. What I mistook for repetition was a literary device for emphasis and the boat, like the story, that I judged to be unmoving in the rolling seas was caught in a whirlpool churning the waters in its depth so that the boat and the old man at the sea were n
Vit Babenco
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe The Old Man and the Sea reflects Ernest Hemingway’s own life crisis…
Any fishing feats, even picturesquely portrayed, don’t sound like some heroic doings…
The sun was rising for the third time since he had put to sea when the fish started to circle. He could not see by the slant of the line that the fish was circling. It was too early for that. He just felt a faint slackening of the pressure of the line and he commenced to pull on it gently with his right hand. It tightened, as always, b
Peter
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is one of my favourite Hemingway books ever. The old fisherman has the catch of his lifetime and loses everything in a hard struggle to nature. Only bits and pieces of the great Marlin remain. What a book and what a powerful prose. A book to take with you on a deserted island. You seldom find so much symbolism condensed in one single and relatively short book. Very emotional and moving. One of my alltime favourites, a timeless classic! Recommended? I would say this is an absolute must read!
Greta
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Old Man and the Sea

The Old Man and the Sea is a short novel by Ernest Hemingway and tells the story of Santiago, an aging Cuban fisherman who struggles to catch a giant marlin far out in the sea. The book was awarded the Pulitzer Prize, and contributed to him winning the Nobel Prize in 1954.

Santiago and the marlin

Santiago‘s three-day struggle to catch the marlin

Santiago has a run of bad luck when he is unable to catch a fish for eighty-four days. But instead of resigning he decides to ship d
Ian "Marvin" Graye
The Old Man and the Allegory

This book might just be an allegory of Darwinist Capitalism and the survival of the most aggressive and hungry in the world of corporate enterprise and rivalry.

Hey, What's the Big Idea?

It describes what it feels like to have one big idea or to invent something for which the market is not ready.

You struggle and wrestle with your "big fish" for ages, until in your mind you have caught it and perfected the way to reel it in, nobody is watching when you start the journey
David Schaafsma
“He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff on the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without a fish.”

A masterpiece.

I know that many many young people read this book and don’t quite get what all the hoopla is about, but I think it is not written with young people primarily in mind. There is the boy that supports the old man, true, but as with other stories about old people facing hardship—King Lear comes to mind—I think other stories may connect better for kids. I know I read this
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

So, reading this book was my personal penance for reading a rather silly YA fantasy freebie, Obsidian. If I read something particularly shallow and brainless, I try to balance it out with a classic or something that makes me actually use my brain cells.

At first Hemingway's typical simple, spare prose and his testosterone-fueled values were getting on my nerves. Digression here: one of the funnier things I've read was a piece on McSweeney's titled "Toto's 'Africa' by Ernest Hemingway". If you kno
Gaurav

The whole conviction of my life now rests upon the belief that loneliness, far from being a rare and curious phenomenon, peculiar to myself and to a few other solitary men, is the central and inevitable fact of human existence.
-Tom Wolfe

Loneliness of human existence is omnipresent, perhaps that is what human existence is condemned to and that is what has haunted human beings most since the early days of civilization. Though loneliness is an unavoidable condition of our humanity, it resides
Matthew
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, library
This was my very first Hemingway and I loved it! However, I am not sure if it broke me for future Hemingway novels. This one was so perfect in its simpleness. When I got to other Hemingway novels it was almost like there was too much in them - I wanted the basics of this book again. That is not to say that I have not enjoyed his other books, but if I had read the others first and wasn't tempted to compare them to this, I would have rated them higher.

So, if you want to read lots of Hemingway, may
Nandakishore Varma
"You have control over only your karma: never on its fruits. So because of [concern over] the fruits of your karma, never shirk from it."

This is most probably the most quoted, used, misused, praised and maligned verse from the Bhagavad Gita, where Lord Krishna instructs Arjuna on the Karma-yoga. It has been praised as the epitome of virtue to do your duty regardless of the consequences: it has been severely criticised as the upper caste Hindu spiritual drug to force a person to follow his caste
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Denzel Washington from "The Equalizer" (hehe)
Shelves: classic
3.5 stars but rounding it up because it's my first review for the new year. Happy 2016, Goodreaders!

"No one should be alone in their old age. But it is unavoidable."

And so the old man went to the ocean alone on his skiff to catch some fish but ended up being caught by the big fish instead, a fish so big, it controlled the skiff and took its own course at the sea. The big question is why didn't the old man just let go of the fish? It would have made his life easier. He was wise wasn't he? Bu
Aesaan
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of The Old Man and the Wasteland, and vise-versa.
The Old Man and the Sea is a deeply personal and inspirational little tale about an old man against nature.
“Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.”
This classic is still as effective today with a simple message, whenever you feel beat down, get up and face your fears. However, if you feel your ego is driving you, step down or you will be doomed. Of coz, there is more to be taken.

Recomended: If you've read and loved The Old Man and
Fabian {Councillor}
On the first glance, The Old Man and the Sea is a very simple story about a Cuban fisherman fighting against a giant marlin. On the second glance ... it is still a very simple story. You won't find any complex characters in this story, you won't find even the smallest trace of complexity. One can try to find symbolisms in this story (and will most likely succeed), but as Ernest Hemingway said himself:

Henry Avila
Jun 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Recommended to Henry by: nobody
The tail, excuse me, The tale of an elderly fisherman and his not so good friend , a 1,500 lbs. marlin. They meet for lunch and immediately fight over the menu (he wants the fish , as the main course). This disagreement causes some friction. Boys will be boys. So eventually, the two, decide to take a long leisurely voyage , to cool off. What harm can happen? Imagine, Cain and Abel , without the brotherly love...
Luffy
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I'm being a little dim in not appreciating something this important. I'm not appreciating the importance of this book. But I can only look at it through my eyes. I can only relate my reading experience.

The book covers 4 days or so of the Old Man's life as a fisherman. Like many books from that period (namely from American authors) the major events are glossed over. It's a style that has not survived the passage of other influences.

This book could have been one of those books that are hated
Dan Schwent
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
After eighty-five fishless days, Santiago hooks more than he bargained for. Can he battle everything the sea throws at him to land his prize?

In the interest of reading a wider variety of things, I snapped this up like an eighteen-foot marlin bites a baited hook. It was definitely worth a read.

The Old Man and the Sea is the tale of an Old Man. And a Sea. It's man vs. nature at its finest. Hemingway's language is spare but very powerful. I felt every wound and heartbreak along with Santiago and wa
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Old Man and the Sea - *SPOILERS* 24 241 12 hours, 33 min ago
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Old Man and the Sea - Pre-Read 24 308 Nov 20, 2020 02:48AM
Play Book Tag: The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway - 4* 3 16 Nov 12, 2020 06:04AM
Make yourself a r...: Task 1 3 8 Oct 01, 2020 10:14PM

• Brave New World
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  • Siddhartha
  • The Grapes of Wrath
Ernest Miller Hemingway was an American author and journalist. His economical and understated style had a strong influence on 20th-century fiction, while his life of adventure and his public image influenced later generations. Hemingway produced most of his work between the mid-1920s and the mid-1950s, and won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954. He published seven novels, six short story collec ...more

Articles featuring this book

“Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.” 2589 likes
“But man is not made for defeat," he said. "A man can be destroyed but not defeated.” 1867 likes