Start by marking “One for Sorrow” as Want to Read:
One for Sorrow

One for Sorrow

Against the ominous backdrop of the influenza epidemic of 1918, Annie, a new girl at school, is claimed as best friend by Elsie, a classmate who is a tattletale, a liar, and a thief. Soon Annie makes other friends and finds herself joining them in teasing and tormenting Elsie. Elsie dies from influenza, but then she returns to reclaim Annie's friendship and punish all the ...more
Published July 18th 2017 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about One for Sorrow, please sign up.
Katie No, One For Sorrow did not earn any awards, but it should. It is a very interesting, entertaining book. But it is not a surprise considering the…moreNo, One For Sorrow did not earn any awards, but it should. It is a very interesting, entertaining book. But it is not a surprise considering the author writes some of the best scary stories!
(less)
Katelyn Yes, it is a coincidence this book was written by Mary Downing Hahn. P.S. You should read this book, it’s really interesting and there is a suprise at…moreYes, it is a coincidence this book was written by Mary Downing Hahn. P.S. You should read this book, it’s really interesting and there is a suprise at the end, also, the cover has a lot of pretty colores.(less)

Mischenko
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You can see this review and others @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2018/...

One For Sorrow is a middle grade, chilling ghost story. It takes place around 1918 during the deadliest influenza pandemic that killed millions of people.

Annie Browne has just moved to a new town with her mother and father. She's a bit timid and she's nervous about making friends at her new school, the Pearce Academy for Girls. The first girl she meets is Elsie, and Elsie doesn't waste any time filling her in on how ho
Starjustin
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Even though One for Sorrow is a middle-grade book I would recommend it to all readers who enjoy well written, fast paced, and excitingly real feeling ghost stories. The author takes this story from true experiences from her mothers childhood and turns it into a page-turner from beginning to end.
Taking place at the end of World War I and during the Spanish flu pandemic, the book brings to life many aspects of that time period. If you enjoy ghost stories, you will love this book as I did.
Jenny  Baker
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, horror, childrens

This was such a page-turner for me that I read it in one day. The story and characters were so captivating that I was hooked on page one. I think this is the first time I’ve ever read an entire book in one day.

This is a suspenseful story that’s a mixture of historical fiction and a children’s ghost story. I didn’t want to stop reading this because I HAD to know what happened next. I was so engrossed in this story that I didn’t watch the baseball game on TV. I watch just about every Balt
Tammie

2.5 stars. I've read a few of Mary Downing Hahn's books and liked them quite a bit. I don't read a lot of middle grade, but her books are usually fun, creepy reads. This one I did not like as much as the others I've read.
Holly
Yessss. I love that Mary Downing Hahn is releasing more ghost stories lately. She's the best <3
Wendi Lee
*I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

For a middle grade book, this is quite scary!! I know I read some of Hahn's other novels when I was in elementary school/early middle school, but that was a long time ago. I only remember thinking that her novels weren't scary, but by 7th grade I was reading Stephen King. I stand corrected! "One for Sorrow" isn't Stephen King-esque horror, but it is a well nuanced ghost story.

Eliza desperately tries to befriend the
Amina
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Annie is the new girl at school, she just moved and is a bit stressed about making friends.
But Annie isn't given a choice by Elsie, who the minute she saw the new comer, decided they were going to be best friends.
What Annie didn't know is that her new friend is mean, bossy, highly umbareble and would get her in a lot of trouble. None of the other girls liked Elsie, so, they didn't like Annie either.
It is 1918, and the an influenza epidemic is reaping people, old young, babies and Elsie was one o
L.P. Logan
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghosts, childrens, history
This is a nice hot cup of nostalgia to me. I adored Mary Downing Hahn when I was younger, and One for Sorrow did not disappoint. An excellent ghost story. Although I will not go into specifics, I can say simply that I genuinely enjoyed it and am looking forward to buying it in hard copy for my own kids.
Julie
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Wait Till Helen Comes still rules the roost.
Ms. Yingling
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Annie moves to a new town and starts school. One girl, Elsie, comes and befriends immediately. Of course, Elsie is the sort of girl that the other students don't like, but she is very possessive. She even invites herself to Annie's home, averring the entire time that they will be best friends. Elsie has a difficult home life-- her father is a German butcher, and in 1918, this leads him to be considered suspect by many people. Elsie's stepmother is cruel to
Tasya Dita
Jul 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
I don’t know whether the author intended to make her characters unlikeable, but if she did, they are too much for me. The bullying in this book was so horrifying, with all the pushing, name calling and peer pressure. Not only that, they also showed no respect for the plague and its victim. They even showed no remorse after Elsie’s death, which in my opinion, is their fault.

The worst thing for me is how the bullying is swept under the rug. Like, none the adults care that the girls were bullying E
Jen
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2017
I have ADORED Mary Downing Hahn's books since I stumbled upon Wait Til Helen Comes in my elementary school's library. My friends and I checked it out over and over, shivering with fear every time the main character ended up haunted. I continued reading the rest of Hahn's oeuvre that was available in the library, and fell in love with her historical fiction and coming of age stories like Stepping on the Cracks and Tallahassee Higgins. Hahn has always been a treasured writer of mine and I am thril ...more
R.A.
This was a little hard for me to get into. I didn't sympathize with any of the girls because none of them were ever very nice. Ultimately I read it to see how much damage the ghost could do.
~☆~Autumn♥♥
This book was just about perfect. At first I got frustrated as the heroine was such a wimp but it just got better and better and is based on a true story. I recommend it for everyone. It is slightly scary but not gross or gory. I don't want to tell much as it would be too easy to give away things.

READ IT. I couldn't put it down.
Jayden
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry I haven't updated for a while :/)
Sandy
I will admit that this is my first Mary Downing Hahn novel that I have ever read. I had been thinking that her novels were too light for my taste but after reading this one, I believe that I might have been wrong. I started this novel right before going to sleep but I ended up staying up way past my bedtime and then I got up way too early so I could finish it. The real obsession I had with this novel is that I dreamt about it. I didn’t dream about the ghostly presence that is inside the novel, I ...more
Katherine
I expected a creepy horror story that gave me chills up my spine. What I got was a shallow read that tried to be way too deep. *sigh* Calm yourself Katherine. Stay calm. I know that this was a middle grade read, and obviously won't have as much depth as young adult or adult, but it was as flat as the salt flats in Utah.
The characters were annoying AF. I didn't like any books except the old lady that I already forgot the name of, and even she wasn't really the best character, and I didn't care mu
Julia
I read this book to my lowest 8th grade class as an experiment.

I'd been doing some research on instilling and encouraging literature in lower performing students when I came across a decent chunk of research in support of reading to your students - and not reading a novel as a class, but picking a novel to read to them.

At first I was skeptical, but the research was solid: when students were read to, their reading and listening comprehension both increased. I decided to give it a try and was on
Alexa
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is awesome. I really love Mary Downing Hahn’s books!
Melinda
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Awww man...so much potential for creepiness, ruined by the total absence of likeable characters.
Shelley
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, historical, youth
Annie moves to a new school and is quickly befriended by Elsie, a lonely, mean spirited girl; when she finally disengages from that toxic "friendship," she ends up in the popular clique, tormenting Elsie and leading to a terrible haunting. This is one of my absolute least favorite ever plots, where no one believes the protagonist and there's nowhere to turn and nothing to do and they are entirely powerless. Most of the characters are also quite unlikeable--Annie and Jane don't like going along w ...more
Kelly Hager
Annie is the new girl at school, and it's awful. Elsie is the only girl who will talk to her, and she's the class freak. Not surprisingly, Annie is now the other class freak. (And it's deserved, honestly; Elsie is awful.) When Elsie gets sick, Annie has a chance to make the popular girls like her...and it works! Except Elsie then gets the Spanish flu and dies...although (like Helen in the scariest kids book ever, Wait til Helen Comes), it doesn't seem to matter. She's still very much around.

Thi
Janie Johnson
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I got this book from a book fair at my grandson's school. And for a middle grade 'scary' story it was not too bad. However, I am pretty sure that it would not scare my 8 year old grandson. The writing itself was ok, and I enjoyed the plot, but the characters were a bit to be desired.

I found the 'ghost' in the story very annoying, when she was alive and dead. I am sure that is how the author intended her to be. She is one of those kids who uses being bullied to her advantage, and that part I did
Rachel Rooney
A 2019-2020 Missouri Mark Twain Readers Award preliminary nominee (grades 4-6).

On her first day at her new school Annie is befriended by Elsie, the least popular girl, and is ostracized because of it, but Elsie is not very nice to her. Annie feels trapped. When Elsie is absent from school for a few days, Annie is able to befriend the other girls and joins them in teasing Elsie when she returns. Later Elsie dies from influenza and returns to haunt Annie and punish her.

This is not like many books
Lori
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore Mary Downing Hahn. She has a great talent for writing Ghost stories.
Wait until Helen comes was my fave but now I think I'll make this one my fave of all times.
You know, karma comes in all shapes,sizes, and forms. Even after death it seems.
I am disappointed in Annie Browne.
I never thought she would've did what she did.
Even if I had wanted to have friends that is not what I how I would've gotten them.
I can relate to Elsie in so many ways.I hated being made fun of. As the old s
Sandy
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr
Annie goes to a new school and is claimed as a friend by a friendless young girl. This girl is friendless because she is a liar, cheat and very possessive. Annie finally makes friends with others and turns to teasing Elsie also. Elsie dies and comes back to haunt Annie and ensure that Annie help her get back at the people who have wronged her.

This is a haunting tale and I found myself unsure if the author wanted us to feel sorry for Elsie or not? She went into her broken home life and which did
Marina
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
There is this girl named Annie and she is the new girl in this school. But there is this girl named Elsie and she making Annie's life miserable by claiming that she is her friend her only friend and Annie can't make new friend's. But Elsie is being bulled by everyone and when Annie is with Elsie then people bully Annie too. And
Shauna Yusko
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Good historical elements and a good ghost story for 4-7th grades. Listening to the audio made me wonder if the writing was really this stilted or just the narration. Sentence structure didn't seem varied at all.
Christine
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First bit of the book is possibly the creepiest most... "shuddery" thing I've ever read. Got downright scary when the influenza part kicked in. Became a bit less scary as it went on, but I still could not stop reading. Very satisfactory. Will read more by this author.
Jpaulson
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don’t really like ghost stories much, but the story was so good, you forget it’s about ghosts. It’s mostly about friendship, perseverance, and guilt and how life choices can come back to haunt you— literally. Great lessons about life in this tale!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Irene Hunt? 1 5 May 02, 2017 06:38AM

• The Courage Test
  • The Many Reflections of Miss Jane Deming
  • The Doll's Eye
  • The Enemy: Detroit, 1954
  • Armstrong & Charlie
  • Once Upon a Summer Night (Mists of Fate, #3)
  • Lucy & Andy Neanderthal (Lucy & Andy Neanderthal, #1)
  • The Parker Inheritance
  • The Girl with the Ghost Machine
  • The Boy from Tomorrow
  • The Haunting
  • This Is Just a Test
  • Spirit Hunters
  • Black Tuesday (Area 51: Time Patrol #1)
  • Chasing Secrets
  • The Conquering Dark (Crown & Key, #3)
  • The Girl Behind the Glass
  • The Real McCoys: Two's a Crowd
I grew up in a small shingled house down at the end of Guilford Road in College Park, Maryland. Our block was loaded with kids my age. We spent hours outdoors playing "Kick the Can" and "Mother, May I" as well as cowboy and outlaw games that usually ended in quarrels about who shot whom. In the summer, we went on day long expeditions into forbidden territory -- the woods on the other side of the t ...more