Start by marking “The Dark Stream: The Story Of Eugène N Marais” as Want to Read:
The Dark Stream: The Story Of Eugène N Marais

The Dark Stream: The Story Of Eugène N Marais

Die groot verlange bied nie net 'n fassinerende blik op een van die veelsydigste en merkwaardigste Afrikaners wat ooit geleef het nie, maar is terselfdertyd 'n panorama van 'n groot gedeelte van die Afrikaners se geskiedenis.
Teen hierdie wisselende geskiedkundige agterdoek leer ons Marais in al sy veelsydigheid ken: as strydlustige jong koerantman in die Kruger-jare; as ta
Published 1982 by Jonathan Ball (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Stream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Stream

Ilze
Jan 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was actually meant to be working on my thesis when I read this (admittedly not cover to cover, but close to it!). There was just a little anecdote I needed to support an argument in my thesis, and this book would have the answer. But by the time I'd started reading about Marais - his life was fascinating! - I couldn't stop (bugger the quote, the argument, the thesis!).

Eugène Nielen Marais lived at a time when people were discovering Virginia Woolf, so his was the South African version of a wr
Stephen Hayes
I generally enjoy reading literary biographies, sometimes even more than reading the works of the writer or poet concerned. I enjoy reading "life and times" books because of my interest in history. But Eugene Nielen Marais is an exception to this. I have loved some of his poems since I was a romantically-minded teenager.

As a teenager my favourite poets were the romantic ones, like Keats and Shelley. But now I find that their poems that moved me so much when I was 14 or 15 do not move me so much
Leendert
Dec 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the first biography i ever read ... the original afrikaner rennaissance man
Margitte
The Dark Stream not only offers a fascinating insight into one of the most complex and outstanding Afrikaners who ever lived but is at the same time a panorama of South African history.

Rousseau's account of the life of Eugene Marais begins in the early days of Pretoria(1871) and ends three years after Hitler's rise to power. Between these two dates are sandwiched many of the great events of Afrikaner and South African history: The British occupation of Pretoria, the beginning of the Afrikaner l
Nicolene Smith
Ek was begeesterd nadat ek die eerste paar hoofstukke gelees het. Dit was 'n vinnige (en uiters interessante) geskiedenis oorsig. Ek meen: die strate wat aan ons bekend is, is nie net name nie, dit is vernoemings. Mnr Mears was die eienaar van die plaas Sunnyside...

Ek moet sê die res van die boek was uiters telleurstellend. Van Leon Rousseau het ek beter verwag.

Eerstens: die gebruik van anglisismes. Daar is soveel pragtige afrikaanse woorde, maar talle anglisistiese woorde word gebruik om die s
Marize De Klerk