Start by marking “Holy Terrors: Gargoyles on Medieval Buildings” as Want to Read:
Holy Terrors: Gargoyles on Medieval Buildings

Holy Terrors: Gargoyles on Medieval Buildings

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  70 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Multitudes of gargoyles haunt the medieval buildings of western Europe, peering down from churches and cathedrals, houses and town halls. Holy Terrors offers a fresh and irresistible history of these wildly varied characters — a society of stone creatures perched high above the workaday world.

The true gargoyle is a waterspout, an architectural necessity that medieval artis
Published April 1st 1997 by Abbeville Press

To ask other readers questions about Holy Terrors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Terrors

Glenn Russell
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing

This little art book includes over 100 photos of gargoyles taken by the author herself, Janetta Rebold Benton, specialist in medieval art, which adds a real visual flare to the book’s four chapters: the first chapter a clear, concise overview of gargoyles and then three chapters with more specifics on human gargoyles, animal gargoyles and grotesque gargoyles. What a treat for absolutely anybody interested in medieval culture or art or exploring the wonder and feats of the human imagination.

And w
HBalikov
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are plenty of gargoyles around; you just have to know where to look. There are plenty of books about gargoyles, from Stephen King to several that focus on those in the USA. This book looks at Europe and where it all began.

Benton has skillfully paired text with photographs of excellent quality. She sifts through facts and what she call “conjectures” about her subject. She divides the medieval subject into three: human, animal, and grotesque.

For a brilliant and comprehensive review, I recom
Michael Jones
I would like to suggest that Janetta Rebold Benton has done a great service in furthering thought about the gargoyles on medieval buildings.

First of all, the choice of photographs and the way she explains them is exquisite! The book is highly worthwhile on this basis alone. However, this book also has the added benefit of some excellent thoughts on the MEANING of the gargoyles. I think this gives much insight into history and church history.

She wisely premises that there may be different meaning
Sonatajessica
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: facts, read-in-2016
I wanted more from this book than it ever planned on handing out. This book is about Gargoyles on European medieval buildings, just as the title says. It is a short book with half of its pages taken up by photos of said Gargoyles and some additional descriptions by Janetta Rebold Benton who is a professor of art history. Apparently there is only limited knowledge and research about Gargoyles, of the hows and whys of their coming into eternal stone life in the weird shapes that they often are. In ...more
Roseann
Aug 11, 2015 rated it liked it
I will admit that I used to be afraid of gargoyles. I saw them as horrible creatures who might come to life at night and attack. I now see them are caretakers for the buildings they inhabit, taking care to keep out the bad and protect those within.

There are not many books out there about these wonderful 'creatures' and while I thoroughly enjoyed this, I wish the author did more in her descriptions. I highly recommend it for the wonderful photos of not only the stereotypical gargoyles, but also
Robin Thomas
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've always been an admirer of gargoyles. This was a fun little book. I actually started it yesterday. Lots of great pictures. Explains the different types of gargoyles and the various terminology. Gargoyles are waterspouts or water spitters. Grotesques or chimeras do not spout. Talks about human gargoyles,animal gargoyles, and grotesques.
Alan Davis
Jan 18, 2014 rated it liked it
An interesting historical account of gargoyles on well-known buildings.
Evleta