Start by marking “Riders of the Purple Sage” as Want to Read:
Riders of the Purple Sage

Read Book* *Different edition

Riders of the Purple Sage

(Riders of the Purple Sage #1)

No book has a better claim to have invented the myth of the American West.

It is 1871 in Cottonwoods, Utah.

This is the story of the gunman, Lassiter, and the Mormon rancher, Jane Withersteen.
Published November 15th 2000 by Forge Books (first published 1912)

To ask other readers questions about Riders of the Purple Sage, please sign up.
Glenyce England From what I understand, The Rainbow Trail was written not long after polygamy was banned, and due to that, the cruelty to Morman wives was downplayed…moreFrom what I understand, The Rainbow Trail was written not long after polygamy was banned, and due to that, the cruelty to Morman wives was downplayed by the publishers. Much later, The Desert Crucible was published, which is what Zane Grey originally wrote and intended to be published. They are basically the same book, but The Desert Crucible does not downplay the true story of how Mormon wives were mistreated by their Mormon husbands. This is Zane Grey's original intent. (less)
John Just to get a different version of it, look for the 1918 [=silent] movies Riders of the Purple Sage, and The Rainbow Trail.
As mentioned, the latter…more
As mentioned, the latter has had different names. While Grey claimed it was not a sequel, it does tell what happened to the three trapped in the canyon, so most places call it a sequel.
The first (Purple Sage) has had many remakes ('18, '25, '31, 41, '44, '96).
The other (Rainbow Trail) not so many ('18, '25, '32).
So in film, only the first three Purple Sage's have a sequel [unless with a different name]. [I know nothing about The Desert's Crucible (1922) - is it unrelated?]
As mentioned by BG, The Desert Crucible is the same book as The Rainbow Trail, though the 2003 Desert Crucible is based on the original ms, not on the published 1915 version. [The Wikipedia article The Rainbow Trail says that the original title in 1915 was The Rainbow Trail, but they include a photo of the May, 1915 cover of The Argosy, which uses the title The Desert Crucible!](less)

Christopher
I've been bamboozled! Duped! Hoodwinked! Fraudulated! Deceived! I've fallen victim to tomfoolery! Shenanigans! Monkeyshines! Nefarious antics!

(What's that? Yes, I do own a thesaurus. Why do you ask?)

This tricky man Zane Grey fooled me into reading a book of the genre I swore I never would read: the official genre of grocery stores and bargain racks everywhere, capital-R Romance.

It all began innocently enough. For one thing, this Riders of the Purple Sage is published by Modern Library. It has b
Lyn
Jul 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Zane Grey’s 1912 Riders of the Purple Sage is a little bit disconcerting.

Expecting a western, and it is, I also got an illustration of religious intolerance and prejudice. Set in Utah in the 1870s, the local political and economic powers that be are Mormon and everyone else is … not Mormon. Throwing around some big-fish-in-a-little-pond clout, the local uber Mormons make trouble for our damsel in distress and the archetypal clad in black loner gunman. Told a little differently and this i
Duane
There are hundreds of novels written in the genre of "American Westerns", most of them written in the first half of the 20th century. Riders of the Purple Sage may be the best of the group. Many people will consider it dated and sterotypical, but Zane Grey was a good writer and he captures with his words the stark beauty of the land and the essence of life in this ever changing landscape. It's worth reading from the historical aspect, and it has a romantic touch as well.

Review revised Nov. 2017.
El
Summary:

Sage sage sage sage, sage sage Mormon sage. Purple sage sage sage and Gentiles, sage sage sage sage and sage. Sage! Sage sage sage sage riders sage sage. Sage sage if sage sage thunder. Sage sage sage; sage sage sage sage. Mormons sage sage sage sage, sage sage shot, sage sage sage sage. And sage sage.

There were some other words and stuff, but really this book is about sage. Mormons, Gentiles, and some other things are mentioned, but the focus is on the sage. The color of the sage, the t
Scott Rhee
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Zane Grey's "Riders of the Purple Sage" is probably one of the most famous westerns ever written, but, despite its popularity since it was first published in 1912, the book may not hold as significant a place in the Canon of the American West for the simple reason that, until 2005, many people had never actually read the book that Grey wrote.

When it was first published, as a serial in Field & Stream magazine, the editors had trimmed much of the original manuscript. When it was ultimately re-
Lewis Weinstein
Set in 1871, published in 1912. This story is far more than a western adventure, although it is surely that. There are deep and tender relationships among the characters, including impressive and moving portrayals of the two women who are central to the story. There are also many matchless descriptions of the magnificent western landscape.

But what is most powerful is the scathing denunciation of the vicious Mormon practices of control exercised against anyone who stands up against the leadershi
Ted
This isn't really a review, because the only thing I remember about this book is that I read it over fifty years ago. Probably ought to read it again, I'm sure it would be fun.

Better yet (?) I now have two other books by Grey: The Desert of Wheat and Western Union. I picked them up a couple months ago when I visited The Country Bookshop in Plainfield Vermont, just to see the place where a dear friend of mine, now passed away, had worked for many years. The books were in a large bookcase outside
Henry Avila
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lassiter is a very angry man.His sister and only living relative, disappears from her home in Texas. (The only person he loves in the world) Kidnapped?Who knows,but the brother will search as long as it takes ,to find her.(Similar to The Searchers film) After years on the long weary road, the gunman discovers the sister, in an unmarked lonely grave, in southern Utah.The former cowboy seaks revenge, he has killed before, he will again .Complications occur when he meets Jane Withersteen , a rich l ...more
Judy
Reading a classic Western novel was a to-do on my book bucket list. I'm not sure why because I've never had a high opinion of TV or movie westerns. After finishing Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey I can scratch "classic Western" off my list and add another 4-star book to the "read" column.

Oh yeah, there is some cheesy, over-dramatic scenes in this book, particularly at the end. There is the courageous too-good-to-be-true heroine, several men who want her, beautiful sunsets and numerous men
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
I read a large number of Zane Grey books back in the 60s and 70s and this one is a story of almost iconic proportions. The gunman in black who seemingly rides in from nowhere, but here we fill in a lot of the usual blanks.

Warning: The book is very well written (a little dated, and florid in places. My dad always said Grey could spend 2 pages describing a bush.) and an exciting story. I think I ought to mention however that the book features a rather unflattering view of Mormons. I won't make apo
Jill
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-lit
Unbelievably, painfully sappy and over-the-top melodramatic, some of which I hope was deliberate. I've never known a male to write such slushy romance. The characters are exaggerated to perfection, as if there were a checklist to include every stereotype suitable for the Western genre. His men are all "men's men" and his women are perfectly docile, beautiful, emotional idiots. Though Grey is thorough in his scathingly hate-filled portrayal of the LDS, he apparently didn't have sufficient time or ...more
Jim
Dec 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vacationers at the beach; romance aficionados; Western enthusiasts
Recommended to Jim by: Scenery of SD; my dad
Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey

Before I opened this book, I thought it was just a fundamental cowboy story, and indeed, as I read it anonymous images coaxed from every Western movie I’ve ever seen interjected themselves into the experience. (For some reason – I don’t know why – I couldn’t help but envision Humphrey Bogart as “Lassiter”, the taciturn protagonist, ostensibly honorable, yet willing killer - of Mormons in particular). My expectation – and I’m also not sure why – was a novel a
Alison Smith
This read comes under the heading of Auld Lang Syne. Revisiting beloved books after many, many years is not always a good thing. In my childhood/early teens I devoured ALL of Zne Grey's cowboy novels, and loved them. I discovered, this time around, with the help of Wikipaedia, that ZG was a prolific writer - author of more than 90 books (!!) including two on hunting, and eight on fishing. He is credited with 'inventing' the genre of the Old West - sanitized and moralized. What I enjoyed during m ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Jul 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: The Idiot's Guide to the Ultimare Reading List
Set in the Utah of 1871, it deals with a Mormon woman, heir to a ranch, resisting pressures to become a junior wife of a Mormon elder. I tried this because it's recommended on The Ultimate Reading List in the Western section. This is Zane Grey's most famous novel, supposedly one that set the mold for the Western genre and published way back in 1912--which doesn't make this a classic. Indeed, I'm afraid the "purple" in the title is sadly apt. Here's a snippet of the the puerile writing:

"If you d
Jen Hirt
Eeeeek... Why am I reading a western from 1912? Because my adventures keep intersecting with Zane Grey's life -- I drive through Zanesville, Ohio (his birthplace) all the time, and in a few weeks I'm renting a cabin near his Pennsylvania farm (now a museum) and burial site. My cabin-comrades and I all agreed to each read a Zane Grey novel, then discuss it (possibly in the style of Drunk History), then head to the Zane Grey museum and gravesite the next day. So I've taken down his bestseller, whi ...more
Dragana
As a teen I loved to read western novels written by Karl May, so when I needed a book with word 'purple' in a title, Riders of the Purple Sage seemed like a great choice. Plus it was free for Kindle.

Sadly, the writing style was so hard for me to read that I gave up after reading 2 chapters. Why?

- This didn't seem like historical western novel, more like a Christian historical romance set in a western period. Big focus is on religion (heroine is a Mormon) and on forbidden love story.

- All that sa
Emily
Jul 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book! ...Oh!...This book! How miserable...how wretched! May God have pity on those...who read this book! Oh! The drama! Oh...the horses! Oh!...the sage! So much sage! Purple...purple sage! I will hide this book in Surprise Valley! I will hide it! And I will...I will roll the great Balancing Rock! I will roll the great Balancing Rock and close forever the outlet to Deception Pass!
Rosemarie
This was an enjoyable read which reminded me of old-fashioned western movies. The rating is actually three and a half stars.
Ron
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can’t believe I read the whole thing. Actually, I didn’t; I started skimming halfway through. The plot is obvious and the writing repetitive. Sentimental, though many of the sentiments are foreign today. Fortunately, it ends strong.

Hard to believe this is Grey’s best-selling book. Lassiter is, of course, a cliché but Grey deserves credit for making his type so iconic, diminished not enhanced by his broken verbiage. Jane was a stereotype which modern writers (and readers) eschew, though she fin
Mac
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riders of the Purple Sage has so much going for it--a dangerous gunslinger, a mysterious "Masked Rider" who later presents a big surprise, polygamy and multiple romances, religious conflict, stunning landscapes, cattle rustlers, chase scenes with good guy-bad guy confrontations, callow youths maturing right before our eyes, truth telling and lies, all woven into a clever, complex plot that ties everything together (too) neatly in the end. Of course, with all this, the novel is over-the-top, but ...more
Emilie Richards
I read this for the Better World Books 2017 Reading Challenge. I chose it as my "book over 100 years old" but will use it instead as my "book with a color in the title." Having never read Zane Grey and as someone whose favorite class in college was an American Studies class on pop fiction, I thought it would be fun to see why he reached such heights in his day.

What I found was a novel with prose as romancey or more than any romance novel I've read--or written. He loved description and never met
kent
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic western, originally published in 1912 a mere 40 years after the story took place. It's squeaky clean by todays standards, a few mentions of her "heaving breast" and a kiss or two.
The story uses a third person narrator to tell the story from the point of view of two main characters Bern Venter and Jane Withersteen and a few minor characters.
Withersteen is the heir of her fathers huge estate and is courted by the Mormon preacher who wants to add her to his family and the her fortune to h
Robert
Mar 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
There's a long introduction to this edition which discusses gender and sexuality in the novel and how they relate to its enduring popularity. At one point the essayist wonders why the initial audience included such a high proportion of women. This seems obvious to me; the story consists of two romances! There's been a female audience for novels of romance ever since they were invented.

So I was not really expecting romance, more a written version of the film High Plains Drifter or some such. Well
Elinor
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this iconic Western novel because it is on so many Best Westerns list, and has been made into a movie FIVE times. I anticipated the usual good guys in white hats versus bad guys in black hats conflict, but I was surprised to find that the bad guys are all Mormons! There is a whole religious context in which the poor beleaguered heroine is being pressured by the evil Mormons into marrying a church elder who wants to get his hands on her ranch. The gunslinger who arrives in town ...more
Linda Rowland
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three for the enjoyment of the book and an extra star for the dogs. I read many reviews and no one else mentioned them. As you must know by now I have a pet peeve about dogs that seem to come and go in stories. The two in this book were good companions and always cared for, even in a time when it might not seem important. The horses were as well, but you would expect so in a time when a man without a horse was in serious peril.
Abigail Hartman
Not being a great reader of Westerns, I did not expect much from this novel: I had a general idea in my head of Zane Grey being the Nicholas Sparks of his genre, churning out a lot of bestsellers all with essentially the same plot. Since I haven't read any other Grey novels, I can't comment on the plot aspect. With "Riders," however, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the writing; while I didn't find it amazing, necessarily, it has a depth and sensitivity I was not expecting to find. T ...more
Tamara Evans
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
Shame of Zane Grey for creating a well written engaged novel that makes me revaluate how I feel about western novels!

Riders of the Purple Sage tells the story of Jane Withersteen, a rich Morman woman who is at odds with Elder Tull due to her helping non Mormans aka Gentile Ben Venters. When the books begins, Venters is about to be severely whipped by Tull due to him befriending Jane. Just before Venters is taken by Tull and his men, a man rides up on his horse and saves the day by intervening.
Jay
Oct 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I've decided to read some westerns to see why my Dad liked them when he was younger. This was a good choice, it was quite a story, unexpected in parts. Grey is a crafty writer, excellent with action and scenery. You can feel places, though, where he's adding words as if he's paid by the word. Lassiter keeps saying "Jane" in front of every paragraph of speech to Jane, for instance. And "I reckon" gets annoying after a dozen times. And there are a few plot twists that are just too much, like in th ...more
Eric
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vivid descriptions of prairie storms and what was then the Mormon storm. Perhaps it is me or the style of writing, but Mr. Grey's tales seem to take awhile to develop. I will read the sequel to this and then decide whether or not I'm done with Zane Grey. Not a usual genre for me, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

3.5 stars.
Book Concierge
Digital audiobook read by John Bolen.

From the book jacket: Cottonwoods, Utah, 1871. A woman stands accused. A man, sentenced to whipping. In … rides … Lassiter, a notorious gunman who’s come to avenge his sister’s death. It deoesn’t take Lassiter long to see that this once-peaceful Mormon community is controlled by the corrupt Deacon Tull – a powerful elder who’s trying to take the woman’s land by forcing her to marry him, branding her foreman a dangerous “outsider.” Lassiter vows to help them.
Play Book Tag: Riders of the Purple Sage / Zane Grey - 3*** 3 11 Jul 07, 2019 07:40PM
Who Doesn't Love ...: Riders of the Purple Sage / Zane Grey - 3*** 1 3 Jul 07, 2019 01:36PM
The Free Readers: Thoughts and reviews 2 9 Nov 04, 2015 10:40AM
Literary Fiction ...: Gene Autry's Cowboy Code 116 20 Dec 17, 2014 04:00PM

• The Time It Never Rained
  • Heller with a Gun
  • The Virginian: A Horseman of the Plains
  • Shane
  • Way of the Lawless
Pearl Zane Grey was an American author best known for his popular adventure novels and stories that presented an idealized image of the rugged Old West. As of June 2007, the Internet Movie Database credits Grey with 110 films, one TV episode, and a series, Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater based loosely on his novels and short stories.

Riders of the Purple Sage (2 books)
  • The Rainbow Trail ( Riders of the Purple Sage#2)
“Where I was raised a woman's word was law. I ain't quite outgrowed that yet.” 9 likes
“So that's troublin' you? I reckon it needn't. You see it was this way. I come round the house an' seen that fat party an' heard him talkin' loud. Then he seen me, an' very impolite goes straight for his gun. He oughtn't have tried to throw a gun on me - whatever his reason was. For that's meetin' me on my own grounds. I've seen runnin' molasses that was quicker'n him. Now I didn't know who he was, visitor or friend or relation of yours, though I seen he was a Mormon all over, an' I couldn't get serious about shootin'. So I winged him - put a bullet through his arm as he was pullin' at his gun. An' he droppped the gun there, an' a little blood. I told him he'd introduced himself sufficient, an' to please move out of my vicinity. An' went" - Lassiter” 6 likes