Start by marking “Midnight in the Garden Centre of Good and Evil (Invaders From Beyond!)” as Want to Read:
Midnight in the Garden Centre of Good and Evil (Invaders From Beyond!)

Midnight in the Garden Centre of Good and Evil (Invaders From Beyond!)

Miller, fresh from too many pampered years at university, has managed to lose a PhD, a girlfriend, and her father’s car.

With parents now committed to a regime of find-your-own-way tough love, he’s fallen off the fast track to success, and finds himself working in a shabby garden centre on the edge of nowhere.

The staff are a collection of dropouts and oddballs, the boss is
Published September 23rd 2015 by Solaris

To ask other readers questions about Midnight in the Garden Centre of Good and Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight in the Garden Centre of Good and Evil

Michael Stewart
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read, funny, witty, SO well written with an authentic voice. Highly recommended.
J.B. Rockwell
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Creepy, funny, dark, scary, hilarious and sometimes ridiculous--this book is a twisted tale full of humor that zigs and zags into unexpected places. Every time you think you've got it figured out it rounds another corner and there's something you never even saw coming. Miller and his eclectic collection of co-workers spend their days (and nights) at a rundown garden centre with a dwindling selection of customers but a growing business black market creepy crawlies. When a big box garden centre lo ...more
Miguelito
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good Lord, what a fantastic book. I picked this thing up and couldn't put it down.

It's part comedy, part horror, and balances them perfectly. The voice is light enough so that I never had to intentionally suspend my disbelief (never thought about it, really), but it get's darker when bad things start to happen.

I'll also never look gardening implements the same way again.

Probably my favorite read so far in 2015.
Jordan
This is not how it was supposed to work. A couple months ago, Miller was knee-deep in a graduate degree studying agricultural science. Now, after a bender left him and his future father-in-law’s car upside down in a lake, he finds himself without a fiancé and cut off by his parents to find his own way in the world, working a dead-end job at a garden centre in the middle of nowhere alongside an eclectic crew of fellow misfits. Then just as Miller adjusts to his new life, starts to think the futur ...more
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
I put out a call for a good ‘clean’ novella on Twitter recently, and one of my friends liked this so well she ended up gifting me a copy of it.

Okay, so, unfortunately, Midnight in the Garden Centre of of Good and Evil wasn’t as big of a hit for me as I hoped it was going to be. It took me too long to get invested in the story. If it hadn’t been a gift, I probably would have walked away from reading it. Luckily, though, once the weirdness started, I found myself enjoying it.

This is sci-fi horror
Hisham El-far
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
With a rambling first person narrative, this novella has an enthralling charm. Inherently British - this story conjures memories of bygone weekends in rundown garden centers on the edge town.

Oh, and there's jeopardy and peril in the form of the vanguard of an apocalyptic alien invasion.

Fun stuff.
Katya Vinogradova
A digital copy of this book was provided to me by Rebellion Publishing via NetGalley.

I had trouble getting into the story. I really wanted to but I felt there were too many pieces of information missing. I had to read descriptions and reviews to understand what was happening - and that's not a good sign. Usually I prefer to know as little as possible about the book I'm reading so that I can experience the story as it unfolds. This story unfolded... strangely. The narration was all over the pla
Steven Poore
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: inkbots, novella
Good fun, with plenty of in-jokes and nods to the wonderful world of retail as well as to the classic bodysnatcher-style movies, but the build-up is overly slow for me, and the real action begins very late in the day. I swear I've been shopping in that kind of garden centre though, on a bland retail park at the daggy end of Leamington Spa.....
Adam Kalauz
Mar 15, 2017
Eoin Connolly
Oct 15, 2015
Colin Sinclair
Oct 08, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote-this