Start by marking “One Starry Night” as Want to Read:

One Starry Night
Published October 4th 2011 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published October 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about One Starry Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Starry Night

Jessica
Dec 07, 2016 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: with-levi, christmas
Kind of boring.
Karen
Jan 11, 2017 Karen rated it liked it
The text and the artwork for this book are simple, lovely and soothing. A bit too soothing for my taste, but lovely, nonetheless.
Barbara
Oct 25, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, animals
On one starry night, several animal mothers watch over several little ones, including sheep, cow, goats, pigs, cats, dogs, donkeys, and doves. The love parents have for their children is expressed on each of the pages in italics, also representing the love the Creator has for all children. But this night is special since it is the night of the birth of the Christ child, something the animals sense, drawing near to the birthplace. Although this story is familiar, it made new with the starkly colo ...more
The Library Lady
Concept is lovely. However, the minimalist palette (brown, dark blue, black and white) is too monotonous for kids eyes, and the final spreads of the Holy Family look a bit kid crayon drawingish.
I adore Lauren Thompson, but won't be buying extra copies of this. [Author:Nancy Tafuri]'s lovely The Donkey's Christmas Song has far more appeal for introducing young children to the Nativity story through animal friends.
midnightfaerie
Oct 10, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I loved this one and I'm not sure why. Another story (kind of) about the birth of Jesus, put together so that it's mainly about the animals gathering with their young. Beautifully written, somewhat like poetry, and the illustrations were beautiful as well. Touched my heart and made me long for Christmas. All my children liked it too. My 5 yr old guessed it was about Jesus and my twin 3 yr olds just liked seeing the pictures of the animals. One I'd definitely like to own.
Kendra
Nov 26, 2013 Kendra rated it liked it
Though this is a very simplified nativity story, I really liked that with a few changes it could be used for anyone (not reading the last page, for example). Very sweet and the illustrations are lovely.
Megan
Nov 21, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Stunning illustrations and beautiful introduction to the birth of Baby Jesus for small children. I also love the emphasis on animals. However, I would like this book more without the words on the last two pages :)
Karen
Very basic Christmas story for the youngest. Animals parents with their babies, travel toward the baby Jesus, cared for by Mary and Joseph. Subtle color choices emphasize the peaceful, nighttime feel.
Mary
Jan 13, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
Animal mothers watch over their little ones on this starry night just like Mary and Joseph watch over their newborn babe. Brown, blue, white, and black prints compliment the simple, quiet, and serene text.
Lindsay
A positively beautiful Nativity story with very simple, poetic text emphasizing a parents' love for their children more than anything. Might make a nice new baby book for the right family.
Angela
May 16, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An exceptional addition to the Christmas cannon. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a soothing nativity story that stresses motherly love.
Melanie
Different mothers help their children. A prayer-like verse is included under the story text. End of book is nativity scene. Beautiful artwork.
Rosa Cline
Dec 28, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, christmas
This was a beautifully put together poem to a storybook, a few lines per page. Leading up to the birth of Jesus. Lighting up the world with his love.
Alisa
Dec 20, 2011 Alisa rated it really liked it
Sweet story of little ones being watched over along with Mary and Joseph watching their little one.
Andrea
Jan 03, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it
This book was a darling Christmas book for the younger children. It incorporated the animals and their sounds which is always a hit with babies.
Relyn
Dec 15, 2013 Relyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents and teachers of preschoolers
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted on my library website
This is a quiet book; tender and sweet. It feels like Christmas Eve just before the parents head off to bed for a few precious hours of sleep.
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2013
Ruth
Ruth rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2014
Susan Erhardt
Nov 19, 2011 Susan Erhardt rated it really liked it
not much happens, but it's very sweet.
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2011
Kaye
A sweet story that parallels a mother's love for her child, and God's love for us.
Laurie Chester
Laurie Chester rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2011
Melissa Lee
Melissa Lee rated it it was ok
Dec 21, 2016
Anija
Anija rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
Deborah
Deborah rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Kayla
Kayla rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Jj
Jj rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2011
Sarah rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2011