Start by marking “One Starry Night” as Want to Read:
One Starry Night

One Starry Night

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  21 reviews
One starry night, a cow watches over her calf, a nanny goat watches over her kid, and a pig watches over her piglet. For this one moment, every family in the animal kingdom is peaceful, just like Mary and Joseph watching over their own newborn nearby.

This simple yet profound book perfectly captures the universal nighttime vigil of parents everywhere while gently alluding
Published October 4th 2011 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published October 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about One Starry Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Starry Night

midnightfaerie
I loved this one and I'm not sure why. Another story (kind of) about the birth of Jesus, put together so that it's mainly about the animals gathering with their young. Beautifully written, somewhat like poetry, and the illustrations were beautiful as well. Touched my heart and made me long for Christmas. All my children liked it too. My 5 yr old guessed it was about Jesus and my twin 3 yr olds just liked seeing the pictures of the animals. One I'd definitely like to own.
Barbara
On one starry night, several animal mothers watch over several little ones, including sheep, cow, goats, pigs, cats, dogs, donkeys, and doves. The love parents have for their children is expressed on each of the pages in italics, also representing the love the Creator has for all children. But this night is special since it is the night of the birth of the Christ child, something the animals sense, drawing near to the birthplace. Although this story is familiar, it made new with the starkly colo ...more
The Library Lady
Concept is lovely. However, the minimalist palette (brown, dark blue, black and white) is too monotonous for kids eyes, and the final spreads of the Holy Family look a bit kid crayon drawingish.
I adore Lauren Thompson, but won't be buying extra copies of this. [Author:Nancy Tafuri]'s lovely The Donkey's Christmas Song has far more appeal for introducing young children to the Nativity story through animal friends.
Megan
Stunning illustrations and beautiful introduction to the birth of Baby Jesus for small children. I also love the emphasis on animals. However, I would like this book more without the words on the last two pages :)
Karen
Very basic Christmas story for the youngest. Animals parents with their babies, travel toward the baby Jesus, cared for by Mary and Joseph. Subtle color choices emphasize the peaceful, nighttime feel.
Mary
Animal mothers watch over their little ones on this starry night just like Mary and Joseph watch over their newborn babe. Brown, blue, white, and black prints compliment the simple, quiet, and serene text.
Kendra
Though this is a very simplified nativity story, I really liked that with a few changes it could be used for anyone (not reading the last page, for example). Very sweet and the illustrations are lovely.
Lindsay
A positively beautiful Nativity story with very simple, poetic text emphasizing a parents' love for their children more than anything. Might make a nice new baby book for the right family.
Angela
An exceptional addition to the Christmas cannon. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a soothing nativity story that stresses motherly love.
Melanie
Different mothers help their children. A prayer-like verse is included under the story text. End of book is nativity scene. Beautiful artwork.
Andrea
This book was a darling Christmas book for the younger children. It incorporated the animals and their sounds which is always a hit with babies.
Relyn
Dec 15, 2013 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents and teachers of preschoolers
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted on my library website
This is a quiet book; tender and sweet. It feels like Christmas Eve just before the parents head off to bed for a few precious hours of sleep.
Alisa
Sweet story of little ones being watched over along with Mary and Joseph watching their little one.
Kaye
A sweet story that parallels a mother's love for her child, and God's love for us.
Samantha
A quiet variation on the Biblical Christmas story.
Kate Hastings
Grades Pre-K to 2. Love the art in this manger-scene book.
Maren Prestegaard
Didn't like the flow of this book.
Karen A.
Nice simple rendition of Christmas Eve.
Susan Erhardt
not much happens, but it's very sweet.
Debrarian
Mock Caldecott 2012.
Joanna Sapp
Joanna Sapp marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Laura added it
Dec 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Little Quack The Christmas Magic Polar Bear Night The Apple Pie That Papa Baked Mouse's First Fall