Start by marking “Louisa May Alcott: Illuminated by the Message” as Want to Read:
Louisa May Alcott: Illuminated by the Message

Read Book

Louisa May Alcott: Illuminated by the Message

Fifty excerpts from the works of Louisa May Alcott are paired with passages from The Message, both serving as a new way in for personal and communal prayer.
Published November 1st 2015 by ACTA Publications

To ask other readers questions about Louisa May Alcott, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Louisa May Alcott

Tarissa
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love it when someone comes along, takes the writings of one of my favorite authors of old, and freshens things up and gives new life to words penned long ago. This is the case for the Literary Portals to Prayer series, but namely this book about Louisa May Alcott.

Susan Bailey (author and blogger at Louisa May Alcott Is My Passion) knows and understand Louisa well, and was able to pick beautiful snippets from Miss Alcott's writings and pair them with meaningful verses along the same topics.

I pe
Trix Wilkins
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that enables you to go as deep or as light as you like, depending on your brain and heart capacity at the time! This lovely collection of snippets from Louisa’s writings (about half are from Little Women) alongside verses from the Bible is light and portable, suitable for reflection in a variety of places and times. As its title suggests, Literary portals to prayer: Louisa May Alcott illuminated by the Message is designed to mark the beginning of what comes next.

You can mull over
Eileen Charbonneau
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Literary Portals to Prayer series has found the perfect guide through the work of Louisa May Alcott. Susan Bailey has compiled a remarkable edition of side by side texts from the beloved author of Little Women and corresponding passages from the Bible (source: The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language by Eugene H. Peterson) in Illuminated By the Message. Through her selections, Ms. Bailey demonstrates a deep understanding of the life, world, and spirituality of Alcott (so amply also pr ...more
Kristi
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual, concord
Susan Bailey has skillfully paired inspiring selections from a fairly representative scope of Louisa May Alcott's work with Biblical passages. This coupling of short passages brings renewed insight into the spiritual nature of Alcott's writing, as well as grounding Biblical lessons within resonate literary sketches, with a combined power to encourage, uplift, and sanctify everyday experience.
Terry
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read anything by Louisa May Alcott in years, but this little devotional has inspired me to go back and re-read some of my favorites as well as to seek some of her works that I wasn't aware of...and I'll read them in a new light. Thank you, Susan Bailey!