Start by marking “Eve of the Emperor Penguin (Magic Tree House, #40)” as Want to Read:
Eve of the Emperor Penguin (Magic Tree House, #40)

Eve of the Emperor Penguin

(Magic Tree House #40)

JACK AND ANNIE continue their quest for the secrets of happiness--secrets they need to save Merlin. This time, the Magic Tree House takes them to the one continent they haven't visited before: Antarctica! What can they hope to learn about happiness in such a barren place? Only the penguins know for sure . . . Jack and Annie are about to find out!
Published September 23rd 2008 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2008)

Start your review of Eve of the Emperor Penguin (Magic Tree House, #40)
Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
I love this! Penguins are so cute~ Especially Emperor Penguins! Jack and Annie traveled to Antarctica and brought a baby penguin named Penny to give to Merlin as one of the secrets of happiness.
Marco De La Rosa
Oct 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-quater
This story is about when Jack and Annie go on another mission to help Merlin fell happy again because he won't eat, sleep, drink,or even talk. So Morgan Le Fay sends them on this mission to the antartic to go find something really special just for him.So as the magic tree house transported them to the cold lands, they wondered were are the animals or people? It was a quiet, windy,chilly,cold,frosty,snowy, icey and deep freezing. They really wondered what are they going to find all the way in the ...more
midnightfaerie
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
My 6 yr old is becoming a voracious reader and his teacher recommended this series so I picked up a few from the library. My son loves it. Magic and fun and adventure rolled into a chapter book that's easy to read, yet challenging enough that he's not bored. Many of these are educational as well, focusing on a particular point in history such as a president's reign, or a location, like Ireland in this one, which goes really well with his geography and history lessons. He's loving it, and already ...more
Lisa
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Here's our swan song to Winter (sniff, sniff). This one was particularly funny. The kids were cracking up over this one. And I learned a lot about Antarctica while I was reading this to the kids. I love that about this series. After we finish one of these and the kids go to bed, I always end up googling stuff I learned from the book :) This one brought on a long google search :) and p.s., I love penguins :)
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
Cute read. Learned a bit about both Antarctica and emperor penguins while going on a fun adventure!
Ashley Li
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Eve Of The Emperor Penguin Review

PERSONAL RESPONSE

This book taught me a lot of knowledge about Antarctica. For example, Mount Erebus is the most active volcano in Antarctica, with daily eruptions; only emperor penguins could survive winter in Antarctica, because only they could handle the cold and so on. And this book also taught me to take loving care of another can make one very happy, and also sometimes I can make other people happy by letting them take care of me.

THE PLOT

Jack and Annie went
Heidi
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-son
My five-year-old loves this series, but he didn't like this book. It was too tense for him when Jack and Annie were caught by the tour guide, and he made me skip over a few chapters. I usually like how this series teaches nature facts as well as amuses children with the stories, but this book seemed short on facts and cast the scientists as the bad guys, opposing Jack and Annie's mission. Taking a baby penguin out of Antarctica illegally and disobeying rules right and left also seemed like poor ...more
Dree
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Same old same old. Mediocre plot and now (being that this is #40) very predictable. But my 6 yo enjoyed it, of course.
Lauren Ellington
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
Grade: 4th Grade
Genre: Adventure

Eve of the Emperor Penguin is the fortieth book in the series of the Magic Tree House written by the accredited author, Mary Pope Osborne. This book follows Annie and Jack to a land most will never visit... Antarctica! Along the journey, these two pals are trying to find the art of happiness and four secrets that are hidden in Antarctica. Will the Penguins be their allies or their enemies? Do these furry two webbed feet creatures contain the secrets? Definitely
Hannah (Corduroy&Coffee)
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read this as the "polaroid" challenge in the vsco girl readathon (read something nostalgic)! I loved the magic tree house series when I was in elementary school, and although I still had vague memories of Teddy, Merlin, Jack & Annie before rereading this, I forgot just how DELIGHTFUL and CUTE this book is! Not gonna lie, I did learn new things while reading this lol. It's always a nice trip to go on Jack and Annie, and the message at the end is all about the secrets of happiness that I ...more
Cheryl (I Heart Fictional People)
My 7-year-old was given a chapter book challenge for Thanksgiving break by her teacher. She went to her school library and chose this book. So we spent the week reading it together.

This is the first time I have read a Magic Tree House book, and for me, it was good, but my daughter loved it. It had enough suspense, humor, and enjoyable characters to keep her wanting to read. And that made this mom very happy.

I think we will definitely be reading more of this series!
Austin Gullett
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The only MTH book to explicitly take place in the present; and the only to really create an original fantasy creature. Antarctica was just begging for a MTH visit, and to have it take place at a research station was the best possible way to handle it. Also, spoiler, the secret to happiness: get a pet baby penguin.
Rachel Herrington
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fun book about the Magic Tree House kids that go all the way to Antarctica to find the fourth secret of happiness. They run into some problems, like having to pretend to be adults on an exhibition to a volcano. Will they ever find the 4th secret to happiness?
Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken
Eleanor does not want to review the books at this time, but her favorite thing about this magic treehouse adventure was when I got to see the penguins. They’re furry and soft. I think the Magic treehouse books are my favorite books so far in my life. I just love these books.
Elly Schultz
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Genre: Modern Fantasy Grade: K-4
Within this book it was about two children named Jack and Annie who go on a adventure in the magic tree house. The place that they had traveled to was Antarctica, to find the fourth secret of happiness.
Katie
It would have helped to read some of the proceeding books in the series as Jack and Annie were on a specific mission, but it is still doable on its own. Plus, there is always such a great wealth of information in these titles. Great as a read-aloud.
Grace Stromquist
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
it was rilly fun and exiting!!
Kat Ice
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute one but not the best of the series. I liked how plot filled it was.
Andrew
Ummm....so apparently the kids have to save a magician...the saving grace...a penguin...?
Marissa
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I swear I've already read this one, but Goodreads said not, so here we are. So cute.
Olivia
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG! So amazing! Once again, a mixture of it all! Tours, getting caught, ice, volcanoes, crowns, penguins!
moon
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book since i love penguins! They're so cute.
Loren Dillon
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Taking care of others does sometimes make one happy as well as letting others take care of us.
Eden Poon
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
it was amazing and awesome mary pope osborne
Cait
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Read this with my favorite 5 year old. He loved every minute and I was so confused.
Kelli Smith
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book. However, it didn't have the jaw dropping adventure like other books in this series.
Daphne Kim
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm reading through this series with my daughter. The books are rather formulaic at this point, but there are still some new places about which to learn and some nice lessons.
Mary Thomas
Listened to the audio version on a car trip. I like this series. This one was as good as any of them.
Kate Taelman
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jake
My son liked it
Emma
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would love to go there!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The White Wolf (A to Z Mysteries, #23)
  • The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3)
  • Mummies and Pyramids (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #3)
  • Cat and Mouse in a Haunted House (Geronimo Stilton, #3)
  • The New Year Dragon Dilemma (A to Z Mysteries: Super Edition, #5)
  • The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries, #2)
  • Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentime (Junie B. Jones, #14)
  • The Jaguar's Jewel (A to Z Mysteries, #10)
  • Mr. Tony Is Full of Baloney! (My Weird School Daze, #11)
  • In a Blink
  • The Talking T. Rex (A to Z Mysteries, #20)
  • The Bad Guys: Episode 7: Do-You-Think-He-Saurus?!
  • Detective Camp (A to Z Mysteries: Super Edition, #1)
  • The Runaway Racehorse (A to Z Mysteries, #18)
  • Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under Her Bed (Junie B. Jones, #8)
  • Ivy and Bean Break the Fossil Record
  • Dog Man: Fetch-22 (Dog Man, #8)
  • The Kidnapped King (A to Z Mysteries, #11)

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 57 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Afternoon on the Amazon (Magic Tree House, #6)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight on the Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)
“That burning lava is miles deep,” said Nancy. “Its temperature is over seventeen hundred degrees Fahrenheit.” 1 likes
“the final secret, you must go To a burning mountain of ice and snow On wheels, by air, then all fall down, Till you come to the Cave of the Ancient Crown. Then speed to Camelot by close of day, Lest grief take Merlin forever away.” 0 likes