Start by marking “For All Their Lives” as Want to Read:
For All Their Lives

For All Their Lives

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  1,195 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
A tale of love amid war, of love against all odds, as a beautiful half-French, half-American nurse and the idealistic officer she loves struggle to survive in the chaos of Vietnam . . .

From the Paperback edition.
Published September 4th 1991 by Ballantine (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about For All Their Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For All Their Lives

Tina
Kristal Taylor
Oh my gosh if I could give this book 100 I would. I gave it five for the characters, how the story flowed and most of all the ending. I couldn't put this book down. Props to Fern Michaels.
Shirlene
Mac Carlin wanted Alice and the only way that he could get her was to marry her so he did. He had been married for eight years to a woman who didn't love him. He had to give her something expensive in order to have sex with her. He wanted out of the marriage but she refused. Mac decided to enlist in order to get away from her and his father. He left his best friend, Benny, with his power of attorney papers. Alice had expected him to give them to her.
Mac's mother had left when he was young and h
carole sorenson
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book you won't forget

after reading this book, I certainly will look at a Vietnam vet with so much more respect. I'm sure that in real life they have been to help and back. This was a war love story not to be forgotten. Thank you Fern Again you have taken me into another world. As you once told me Welcome to my world. My husband has went thru a series of major health problems, while sitting in his hospital room, Fern has always taken me away. The Sisterhood series was my first introduction to
Shari Mcmillian
Loved, loved, loved the book and couldn't put it down, up until the last 150 pages or so. The book totally changed gears, and got pretty boring. I HATED the ending! I was very disappointed! It was like the author got bored with the book or something and started writing nonsense. IMO, the author could have stopped writing half-way through this book!
Suze
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FOR ALL THEIR LIVES

This is the best Fern Michaels book I have read, I don't say that lightly- I have enjoyed many of her books. She covered the Vietnam era very well, and at the same time told a wonderful, bittersweet story about Casey and Mac. This is a book I will revisit again.
Jeanne Hurley
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

Lots of turns in the story,almost too many but interesting. Not just a story where you knew the ending half way thru.
Carol
Aug 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I like romance novels but for the heroine to have every guy she is around for more than a day want to marry her and mourn the loss of her the rest of their lives turns it into a silly book.
gayle smith
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of her best

This is one of the best books by Fern Michaels. It truly grab your heart. You will definitely need a tissue.
BRENDA H. KLISS
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real look at the Viet Nan War

One of the best Fern Michaels books I've read, and I've read most of them. True to the many stories I 've heard from men who served two and three tours . A great story.
Nedra Haymon
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. I thought it would be predictable, but no! Story lines with great substance. Lots of strong characters. Truly enjoyed this one. It was long, but was needed. No character was left in the 'air' at the end. That is what I truly liked the most. You had closure.
Sharon stone
Remembering.

This book was to long and boring skipped quite a bit. To long drawn out.usually her books are really interesting
Kelley D. Patton
Excellent

I have read all of Fern Michaels books. This was probably the best yet. Emotional roller coaster and very real. Couldn't put it down.
Wendy Marie
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a terrific story!!and a ending I didn't see coming!
Louise
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good
Theresa Silver
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story animated an era in history through characters that are in my heart long after I've finished the book. I even read another book just to try to put some distance between me and the main couple (Mac and Casey.) Didn't work. Its a 5 star book. I gave it 4 because of the epilogue. No spoilers here. Go read it yourself and you will understand.
Linda Orvis
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in Viet Nam
It surprised me that I haven't discovered Fern Michaels before now. I really did enjoy this book and I recommend it, but with some reservations.
The story is multiple viewpoints, set in the time of the Viet Nam war, and I would call it mainstream fiction. Yes ... there's some romance, but it is not the main theme of the story. Casey Adams, part French and part American, has been raised in an orphanage in France, and comes to the US to live in a house her father has left her in his will. She's a
Carol  MacInnis
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captain Malcolm Carlin was primarily raised by his father, Judge Marcus Carlin, after his mother left the Judge upon discovering his indiscretions. Mac's father brought him up with an iron fist and never, ever told or showed Mac any form of affection whatsoever. So as he grew into manhood, he hated his father. Mac has been married for several years and she too, as he was to discover, was nothing more than a money hungry person who showed Mac nothing by contempt. As Mac was prepared to deploy to ...more
Becky
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very emotional, tragic, frustrating and dark book. Casey Adams, leaves France and her career as a dedicated nurse and goes to Vietnam to make a difference. What she finds is beyond her comprehension. She also finds what she thinks is the love of her life. Officer Mac Carlin is leaving for Vietnam to run away from an arrogant, self absorbed father and a wife he no longer loves and is now pregnant. Casey and Mac find themselves in the worse part of war there is and cling to each other. M ...more
Joanna
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good story with some undertones of the Vietnam war. It is quite long. The author sometmes goes into too much detail, in my opinion. At times, I could not put it down.
S.J. Tyson
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great Fern Michaels read! This is the story of Casey Adams, a French-American nurse, and Malcolm "Mac" Carlin, a career soldier, who meet during the Vietnam War. They meet in California, while Mac is in the process of being deployed to Vietnam, and Casey is in the San Francisco area to settle the estate of her late father but ultimately decides to continuing her nursing career as a Lieutenant in Vietnam. The book follows Casey and Mac's relationship as it develops in the horrific backdro ...more
Marie
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good women's book - love, remance, frustration and sorrow.

Casey Adams is a nurse in Vietnam and she's in love with an Army Major, also fighting there. They have plans for a future together, but he hasn't told Casey that he has a wife and daughter because he's in
the process of divorcing his wife. Casey is seriously injured in a bomb explosion and spends two
years recuperating under a false name. The Major is under the impression that she has died and goes on
with his life back in the Stat
Phildaughta
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
It took a while to collect and digest my feelings when it came to this book.......But, I fervently believe that a sequel to this book should written. The story ended in the early '80's, but hey, we're in a new millennium and a lot of time has passed. There were too many unresolved issues in this book, we, the fans need some kind of closure. The story unfortunately is very realistic, how many of us are unable to be with our soul mate. Many of us stuck with the wrong person. I believe 100% in soul ...more
Karen Cinnamond
Worth reading even if a not-your-typical romance

It kept my interest, read it straight through, but overall, I just felt annoyed with Casey and Mac. The ending I saw coming half way through the book, everything was so contrived. I really wanted things to work out all the characters. But the funny part was I still found myself rooting for Mac and Casey. Definitely not the typical happily ever after kind of story. Very much like how real life works out. The central role of Vietnam in the book reall
Kristen  Powell
While I don't typically read romance novels, I caught myself without a book while on vacation at the beach so I went to the library at the resort we were staying at and chose this book because it looked like an interesting story......an easy breezy read. I gave it 2 stars because I really liked the characters and the story line kept me interested enough to get it read in a couple of days, but UGH!!!
Gina *loves sunshine*
Well this started out great, I thought it was going to be a page turner and interesting story between the 2 main characters. About 1/4 the way in it took a turn, slowed up, added in a few more characters and a few more love interests and totally lost me and the end just took it all down the drain!! the only reason why I gave it 2 stars is because I actually liked the beginning and the foundation for the story.
Tina Wright
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was the first and last Fern Michaels novel I ever read. I read it back in the 1990s, and I have never forgotten it. When I began the book, I was immediately struck by how good I thought the writing was. I immediately loved the H and h and suffered through so much angst with them, desperate for an HEA. And then the ending was absolutely CRAPTASTIC. Infuriating. I threw the book across the room and vowed to never read Fern Michaels again, and I haven't.
Bobbi
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Loved this book! It was not a mystery or suspenseful like the last Fern Michaels book I read it is about a strong young woman who went from an orphanage in France to an Operating Room a nurse in Viet Nam - her life was turned upside down and inside out but with the help and love of friends she became a survivor. Excellent read!
Bonnie
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry - I hated this book. The story went on and on, with so many twists and turns almost all ending in dead ends. Unlikely romances felt so unnatural and forced. The time lines were all over the place, sometimes stated but often with no explanation, just huge gaps in time. The story just felt so forced - it was not an enjoyable read.
Chris
I pick up books that fall into the romantic or even light reading genres when I need a break or something that can be left behind when I'm traveling. There was a little more substance to this than I anticipated. Some of the initial "twists" in the story were broadcast a mile away; but enjoyable none the less. Set in the Vietnam era which affected a number of the main characters profoundly.
Ask Fern Michaels...: New comer.... 11 32 Nov 15, 2013 04:52PM
  • A Gift of Joy (Delanza #2.5)
  • Night Visitor
  • Once a Dreamer (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #1)
  • Voice of the Heart
  • No Such Person
  • Rainbow in the Mist
  • Courthouse Steps (Welcome to Tyler, #11)
  • Her Rodeo Cowboy (Mule Hollow Homecoming, #1)
  • First Impressions / Blithe Images
  • Special Agent's Surrender (Silhouette Romantic Suspense)
  • Oh-So-Sensible Secretary
  • Personal Protector (Colby Agency, #5)
  • Blade's Lady
  • Natural Enemies (Nancy Drew Files, #121)
  • The Frightened Bride
  • The Devil's Redhead
  • Lone Calder Star (Calder Saga #9)
  • King Edward VIII
Fern Michaels isn’t a person. I’m not sure she’s an entity either since an entity is something with separate existence. Fern Michaels® is what I DO. Me, Mary Ruth Kuczkir. Growing up in Hastings, Pennsylvania, I was called Ruth. I became Mary when I entered the business world where first names were the order of the day. To this day, family and friends call me Dink, a name my father gave me when I ...more
More about Fern Michaels...

“awoke, and then dozed again. When her new gift watch” 0 likes