Start by marking “K-9 (Knightley & Son #2)” as Want to Read:
K-9 (Knightley & Son #2)

K-9

(Knightley & Son #2)

Darkus Knightley – tweed-wearing, mega-brained, thoroughly logical 13-year-old investigator of the weird – was just getting used to having his dad back in his life. Then Alan Knightley went off-radar, again, leaving Darkus with a traumatised ex-bomb-disposal dog as his only partner in crime-solving.

Now things are getting even stranger. Family pets are being savaged by a be
Published November 5th 2015 by Bloomsbury Children's Books (first published August 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about K-9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about K-9

Kalilah
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have just spent a healthy hour or so on the Knightley & Son website, going through all of the hilarity and trying to satiate the yearning to read this book... there are actually four chapters available to read online but I can't bring myself to do that, despite my curiosity. I want all the surprises to unfold in my very hands... August seems so far away... *lingers in the shadows, waiting like a restless soul for K-9 to be published*.

Edit:
Now that I have actually read the book, thanks to
Stephanie Mohler
I liked Tilly and the ending (not because it was over, but I can't say anything without spoiling the book). I didn't really like the story, but the ending may make me want to read the 3rd book.
Anita McDivitt Barrios
We picked up this paranormal detective series at the library, after a recent re-release with the new cover art. My son and daughter devoured them.

The context: Darkus' father, a private-detective in London who veers toward the paranormal for explanations of weird events, has been in a coma for four years. Darkus reads his father's case files to feel closer to him, while he's sleeping, and learns the family business. Then his father wakes, and they're on the hunt for a shadowy, paranormal group ca
Marlana
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017, series
It's rare I enjoy the second installation in a series more than the first, but K-9 is far more thrilling, suspenseful, and engaging than its predecessor.

I am looking forward to reading the third book and hope there are further iterations in the series.
Heather
Pop Bop
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
An Ambitious "Baskerville Hound of Hampstead Heath" That Embraces the Paranormal

This is the second of the Knightley & Son books and follows directly after the first book's conclusion. You don't have to have read the first book in order to get into and enjoy this one, although it would be best to read them in order. The first few chapters of this book have enough little throwaway bits, (Dad was in a coma; teen son Darkus wants to be Dad's detective partner; Dad is distant and the father/son d
Ellen
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was good. But I didn't like it when Wilbur (the dog) died.
Sharon Tyler
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
K-9 by Rohan Gavin is the second book in the Knightley and Son series. This is a series that is important to read in order. There are major plot points and character traits that are explained by the first book, and only glossed over briefly in this installment to remind readers. I really enjoyed the first book, so if this one sounds interesting I would recommend starting at the beginning with Knightly and Son.

Darkus Knightley, the thoroughly logical 13-year-old investigator of the weird, was jus
Ms. Yingling
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now that Darkus' father Alan is back and conscious most of the time (after their adventures in book one), they are ready to take on another case. Bill and other members of Scotland Yard's department of the unusual have been attacked around London, seemingly by werewolves! Alan is convinced that they are out in force on Hampstead Heath, but when Darkus investigates, he finds something even more gruesome and disturbing. Tilly is also onto something, infiltrating Barabas King's group of young hoodl ...more
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a print copy of this title from the publisher for review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Darkus is thrown back into the fray against the Combination (possibly) with a case involving some very intelligent and violent dogs. Luckily he has his father to help him out (sometimes) as well as Wilbur, Darkus' returned service-dog and friend.

Out of all three books, I enjoyed this one the most. The story was just complicated enough to be interesting, without having twists that were too complex or unbelieva
zapkode
{My Thoughts} – Darkus and Tilly are back and are both on another case that involves them attempting to get to the bottom of an odd occurrence. It appears that they have yet another situation that may or may not have to do with the likes of “the mysterious combination” that has seemingly become the solution to many of the problems taking place. There is also a new character added to the story a dog named Wilbur – he is a retired service dog that was a gift to Darkus from his father Alan.

This boo
Madeleine
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Thank you to Bloomsbury USA Children's Publishing and NetGalley for providing me with a digital ARC copy of this book for review!*

This would have been a 3/3.5 star review were it not for those last two-ish chapters. I think I enjoyed this book even more than the first one -- and I had so much fun with "Knightley and Son", which I continually pitched as basically the BBC 'Sherlock' but with a father-and-son dynamic. Really great stuff.

But this book had Wilbur. Wilbur and his continual helpfulnes
Barbara
BreAnn
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on Londiniumgirlbooks
*This book was provided free on Netgalley in return for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this novel. It was very well written, the characters were very fleshed out, and the story was well thought-out and engaging for kids, teens, and adults to enjoy. Plus, it reminded me( a little) of Starlight Barking by Dodie Smith (who is one of my all-time favorites). I can see reluctant readers and avid readers alike being drawn into this story.

This is the second ins
Beth
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, j-fiction
While K-9 is the second in the series Knightley and Son, you certainly will not have needed to read the first to enjoy this middle-grade mystery. Delightfully quirky characters and a fun mischievous plot make this an easy title to hand over to readers grades 4-7. The plot may seem obvious to seasoned readers, but from the eyes of a new mystery reader the ending will be a surprise. Darcus Knightley is a teen sleuth investigating disappearing pets, murdered police officers, and hounds sta
Paula
Received as free ebook from NetGalley.

K-9 is the second book in the Knightley and Son series. Book two picks up from where book one ends, but it is not necessary to read them in order as the story is different. Details carried over from book one are easily explained and understand in book 2 and will not confuse the reader. It is marketed towards middle grade readers, but I enjoyed it and I'm way past middle school.

The characters are interesting and the storyline moves along rather quickly. Some
Cara
May 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nkyclear
Abigail H. Leskey
Clive is so horrible, but he's not a villain. He just seems like he goes with stuff like toe jam, morning breath, and chewing noises.

As for the plot, a good mystery. A villain who MAJOR SPOILER! (view spoiler) is interesting.

The end was (view spoiler).

Content: Some violence, some language, (view spoiler)
Kim
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first book was so much better! Darkus's character is richly developed but the adults around him are so ridiculous that it makes the plot seem silly at some points. There will be another book but this one ended on such a sad note that some younger readers may be disturbed. (This older reader was!)
Karen Barber
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 if I could.
Another Knightley & Son adventure, though they seem to be working rather more independently in this one. Plenty of humour, and some great action scenes. I just didn't particularly buy into the Barabas King alter-ego story, and the characters didn't seem to gel as well this time round.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A marvelously fun plot involving missing dogs and werewolf sightings.
There are references to: "The Shaggy Dog," and "Werewolf of London," within the story.
The tribute to military service dogs is moving and well done.
Darkus is very similar to Artemis Fowl and is a character with more books in his future.
Chelsea Couillard-Smith
Gavin's second mystery featuring Darkus, boy sleuth, continues the engaging tone set by the first. A solid mystery, fun characters, and a world that will appeal to young fans of Sherlock Holmes and similar classic detectives make this series a first purchase.
Deya
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meri-Lyn
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the background information on war dogs. The story itself was a little too gruesome at times but lots of good parts too.
Jaden
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic book. looking forward to the next one in the series.
Clare Doornbos
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these characters, especially Tilly and now I have a dog to love too! Very English, clever and funny and a page turner extraordinaire!
Stargazer
i'll recommend this to age-appropriate kids it's aimed at, but won't read the others.
Becky
Really dark and bizarre. Not sure how this mystery came together in the end. Hope the next book pulls in more of the missing pieces of this dysfunctional family.

• Unaccompanied Minor (April Mae Manning #1)
  • Shadows of the Silver Screen (Twelve Minutes To Midnight, #2)
  • The Orphan of Awkward Falls
  • No Way Out (Shadow House #3)
  • Who Is Mackie Spence?
  • Perdita
  • Crossing Into Brooklyn
  • Screaming Divas
  • Louder Than Words
  • Binny for Short (Binny, #1)
  • Jex Malone
  • Local Girl Swept Away
  • Finding Ruby Starling
  • The Island of Thieves (Tom Trelawney #1)
  • Lottery Boy
  • The Yearbook
  • Wanted - Dead or In Love
  • Madame Tussaud's Apprentice: An Untold Story of Love in the French Revolution

Knightley & Son (3 books)
  • Knightley & Son (Knightley & Son #1)
  • 3 of a Kind (Knightley & Son #3)