Start by marking “Yuki Chan in Brontë Country” as Want to Read:
Yuki Chan in Brontë Country

Yuki Chan in Brontë Country

"They both stop and stare for a moment. Yuki feels she's spent about half her adult life thinking about snow, but when it starts, even now, it always arresting, bewildering. Each snowflake skating along some invisible plane. Always circuitous, as if looking for the best place to land . . ."

Yukiko tragically lost her mother ten years ago. After visiting her sister in London
Published April 12th 2016 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about Yuki Chan in Brontë Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yuki Chan in Brontë Country

Penny
Jan 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction-g-m
I got suckered into trying this small book by the Brontë connection mentioned in the title.
Literally within the first few pages there were three basic errors about the Brontë family -

There were FIVE daughters, not three

They did NOT die 'when they were barely out of school'. The first two died when schoolchildren, Anne died aged 29, Emily at 30 and Charlotte at 38.

The dress that Patrick Brontë cut up belonged to his WIFE, not his daughter.

Maybe I sound pedantic, but if you are going to write a b
Sherry
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-this-year
I'm a Mick Jackson fan as well as a Bronte fan so reading this novel was doubly satisfying. This quirky novel follows Yuki Chan to Haworth, home of the Bronte sisters where she tries to solve the how and why of her mother's death ten years earlier. It's a charming story about grief, love, and friendship and the realization that no matter how close we are to another person there always remains that aura of mystery about their lives that we will never decipher. Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.
Rebecca
(DNF @ 26%) The premise for this one – young Japanese woman visits the Brontë sites in Yorkshire as a way of reconnecting with her departed mother – sounded so interesting, but the third-person narration is very flat and detached. It makes Yuki and all the other characters seem like stereotypes: the fashion-obsessed Asian girl, the horde of Japanese tourists. I also noticed that far too many sentences and paragraphs start with “She.” I couldn’t be bothered to see how it would turn out.
Kirsty
Jun 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
How can one decide to write a book of this sort, about a Japanese girl's discovery of Haworth and the magic of the Brontes, and make it so boring? Mick Jackson has definitely achieved just this. The novel had so much promise which it didn't live up to. I wasn't at all interested in Yuki as a character, as Jackson's depiction of her made her come across as somewhat of a dullard. Highly disappointing.
Tonstant Weader
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Yuki Chan in Bronte Country is a small and tender book. I think Mick Jackson, the author, took several risks to write the story of Yukiko and her strange and haunting search for her mother in England’s Brontë country. After all, the standard advice is “write what you know.” What does Jackson, a middle-aged white man from England know about being a young woman from Japan who is just out of school?

Quite a bit if you stop thinking about “what you know” as a set of characteristics, landmarks and ski
Juli Rahel
Dec 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Ever since I read Jane Eyre and then devoured Wuthering Heights and Agnes Grey I've been a Brontë (but especially an Emily) fan. The whole concept of the three sisters itself is beautiful in and of itself but the impact they have had on English literature is nothing to scoff at either. So when I saw Yuki Chan in Brontë Country I knew I'd want to read it. And I'm most certainly glad I did! Thanks for Faber & Faber and Netgalley for providing me with a copy of the book in exchange for an hones ...more
miss.mesmerized mesmerized
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
After the loss of her mother years before, Yuki finally decides to visit the famous British sights mentioned in all the Bronte novels. Her mother has been there, too, and left her pictures of which Yuki tries to find the origins to feel closer to her. Yet, already the beginning of trip announces masses of problems when her luggage goes missing and the rest of her group, a bunch of elderly ladies with whom she scarcely has something in common, are a very poor company. But after caking friends wit ...more
Ellie M
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Review to follow (Netgalley prepublication)
Sandra Danby
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was an unexpected novel. Unusual, charming, offbeat. A young Japanese tourist visits Haworth, birthplace of the Bronte sisters, though she has not read their novels. Why is she there amongst a busload of pensioners? And why, when it’s time to leave, does she do a runner and ignore phone calls from her sister?
This is a novel about grief, acceptance and friendship. There are other things going on too - the science of snow, spirit photography – but basically it is a road novel. Yukiko Chan lea
Paula Dennan
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Yuki Chan in Bronte Country is a strange book. That’s the only way I can describe it.

Yuki Chan needs to explore Haworth, West Yorkshire. It’s the last place her mother visited before her death. Yuki’s trip ends up being unexpected and, at times, bizarre much like her mother’s time there.

There are elements of this book which are charming. There are moments when it’s funny. The mystery that Yuki is trying to solve is at times engaging. Most of the time I was scratching my head and wondering what
Harriet
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A strange story, with lots to like but ultimately too limited in scope to make the reader feel as if something significant had been said or achieved. I liked the forays into Bronte country, the friendship between Yuki and Denny and the history of spiritualist photography; but was left feeling that something important was missing and that Yuki Chan's story was left in a murky swirl of snow and muddle.
Jenna
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This review also appears on my blog Reading with Jenna.
I received an electronic copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. All thought and opinions are my own.

Yuki Chan in Brontë Country was a little bit of a strange read for me. I had no idea what to expect going into this book but it surprised me and disappointed me at the same time. It was an incredibly insightful book with a lot of wonderful elements but it wasn’t as emotional as I would’ve liked it to be.

This book starts
Meghan
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
Ever start watching a movie, say on television or one of the older airplanes where they show everyone in the cabin the same thing rather than let you choose your own show on the seat back television, part way through: it's sort of engrossing but also frustrating. If so, then you're well set for Yuki Chan in Brontë Country by Mick Jackson, which starts right in the middle of a musing on revolving restaurants. Okay. Revolving restaurants. Wacky and retro. Then the Brontës. Some snow. Visiting sen ...more
Yuki Shimmyo
Feb 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE
I was searching for books by Yukio Mishima on a discount book site and was surprised to see this title pop up! I don't usually come across my name on books in English, what a hoot. I was excited to preview the sample pages available to see if it would at least make a fun gag gift. Oy..the voice of this Japanese student makes little sense -- I doubt she would even think "goddamned" as an adjective. "Bugbear"? I've never heard any of my British friends say this word. Why not "pet peeve"?

Some backg
Damaskcat
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think this book repays re-reading as I suspect it is one of those books which you get more out of on every reading. Yuki Chan is Japanese and on a trip to England. Her sister - much more practical and organised already lives in London and is always telling her off. Yuki's luggage goes astray on the flight to England which sets the tone for the book. She goes on a trip to Haworth - Bronte country - even though she has never read the books.

Gradually it becomes clear that she is on a pilgrimage t
marlin1
Nov 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ebook
This was one strange story but I kept reading till the very end where it all came together in the last 30 pages.
Yukiko travels to England to try and make sense of her mother's death. She leaves behind the tour group she was on in Haworth, the town her mother visited 10 years ago. She befriends a teenage girl Denny and between them, they try and uncover the mystery of why her mother was there.
I really didn't enjoy the narration for the most part as it kept changing tenses between the first and th
Janka H.
Offbeat and eerie little book about a young girl lost in life, who tries to solve the puzzle of her mother leaving her.

Quirky and imaginative Yuki is lost in life, haunted by the question of why has her beloved mother decided to take her own life. So, armed with the photo of her mother visiting Haworth, the birthplace of the Brontë family, she tries to find some answers. And, after all, she finds some answers and some questions.

Ths book is all about atmosphere. Not yet magical realism (too mel
Angela Young
I don't think I've ever read a novel quite like this one. Parts of it I found unlikely and lacking any form of explanation / resolution: I never really believed that one young woman would approach another - a complete stranger - and that they'd spend time together immediately, and immediately trust and confide in each other.

But parts of the novel were so atmospherically haunting, beautiful and strange that I kept reading. Yuki's imagined weirdly wonderful inventions were both funny and not-entir
Mila
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mick Jackson does not disappoint, even with a title as off-putting as this. The name is misleading and does not correlate with its contents in a way that would bring readers to this that would enjoy it. Especially given the marginal role of the Brontës. But as always it is an in-depth story that has a slow pace and no real climax but manages to capture and keep interest and fascination as Jackson's other books do. He has a very consisted and special way of writing and I find myself admiring it m ...more
Jasper
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I think you'd call this novel 'quirky'. I've read several novels which could be labelled thus. They're generally unusual enough to keep you engaged, but ultimately not wholly successful. So it was with this one. I would have liked the character of Yuki to be fleshed out more. I would also have found it interesting if more could have been made of the Bronte theme.
mm
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw this book in a bookstore in London and the topic intrigued me – a Japanese girl in Brontë land.
It was a simple read of a girl in search of her mother, not many Brontë references except for the start of the novel and the title.
The author does capture the young lady's angst well though.
Just a quick easy read that I took too long to finish.
Lizzie
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot quietly happening in this one. A little literary obsession. A little balm for grief. Some wolves. Muddle through the first 50 pages and you’ll be rewarded.
Zoe Anne Crow
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book thinking it would be a quirky, light-hearted read after a long and intense book. It was quirky, in a good way, but was also beautifully sad.
Sean Harding
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Next book in the J challenge and to be honest I found this one difficult to get into and in the end quite dull.
Heather
Mar 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This started really well but quickly became very boring
Korie Brown
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I tried to get into this one, but after three days I’m done fighting. DNF.
Chris
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
East meets west and past collides with present in Mick Jackson’s new novel, in which a young Japanese women tries to find out what changed her mother’s life ten years before. Yukiko is visiting Britain for the first time. The young Japanese woman is possessed by the impossible dreams many young people have before they’re eroded by debt and disenchantment. She wants to open a Museum of Interesting Things and envisages a “Beautiful Decrepit Future”; something like a J.G. Ballard short story in whi ...more
Girl with her Head in a Book
Review originally published here: http://girlwithherheadinabook.co.uk/2...

What an odd book. I liked it, I did but … odd. Very odd. This one wandered on to my Brooding about the Brontës because it had the word ‘Brontë’ in the title and I was really keen to have some modern fiction in the mix after being forced to give up on both The Brontë Plot and The Madwoman Upstairs because I found them both unutterably tedious (a project for this year is stop forcing myself through boring books). In the end,
Lisa
Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books. I first read it in my twenties, and I’ve read it several times since then. I felt a connection with Jane, and even with Rochester. I empathized with both the longing for a relationship with someone and the barrier that keeps you from realizing that desire. I went through a period of being obsessed with all things Bronte. I haven’t read ALL of their books, but I have read a few books by the Bronte sisters and about the Bronte sisters.

I have to admit, I HATE
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a digital copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Yuki Chan ventures forth to the UK in search of the last vestiges of her mother, who died there ten years previously. Her journey ends up being as bizarre and unexpected as her mother's actions all those years ago.

This is a chick-lit, road trip, finding one’s self novel with a difference. “Charming and haunting” certainly sums up the atmosphere of this book, written in a strangely compelling present tens

• The Krampus and the Old, Dark Christmas: Roots and Rebirth of the Folkloric Devil
  • A Christmas Story: Behind the Scenes of a Holiday Classic
  • Of Sorrow and Such
  • Liar's Bench
  • The Christmas Promise
  • A Taste for Nightshade
  • Martha's Vineyard, Isle of Dreams (#2)
Mick Jackson (born 1960) is a British writer from England, best known for his novel The Underground Man (1997). The book, based on the life of William Cavendish-Scott-Bentinck, 5th Duke of Portland, was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize and for the 1997 Whitbread Award for best first novel.

Mick Jackson was born in 1960, in Great Harwood, Lancashire, and educated at Queen Elizabeth's Grammar Sch
“She pops her head into a bare-looking kitchen and has a little wander round it. Here, she reads, Emily would sometimes make bread with her right hand while holding a book of German verse in her left. Well, OK, Yuki thinks, now you're talking. Because she applauds any woman who is unashamed of her intelligence. Also, what a great little trick. Over dinner last night the Elders were discussing Branwell, the dissolute Bronte brother, and someone mentioned a little party-piece he was said to have performed at the local pub in which he'd write a line of Latin with his right hand while writing the same thing in Greek with his left. So now Yuki's wondering if the Bronte kids weren't, in fact, exceptionally gifted linguists - or whether having your hands do different things simultaneously wasn't just about as wild an evening as you were likely to have back then.
She heads up the stairs, where it's a little cooler - and more dismal, if that's possible - and stands on the landing, consulting her leaflet, where she learns that there were, in fact, another two Bronte girls, who died when they were still children. Two invisible, extra Brontes no one's ever heard of, since neither lived long enough to lift a pen. The first bedroom she enters, it seems, is where the mother passed away, knowing that all her children would have to go on, motherless. With just their crazy father to look after them. And this really is just about too much for poor Yukiko. She's tempted to throw herself onto the old bed and have a good long cry about it, and might have done so if she didn't suspect that the bed, bedroom floor and the entire Bronte house would likely to collapse around her, which would only mean her being dragged off to the local jailhouse, to be beaten about the body with copies of 'Wuthering Heights'.”
0 likes