Start by marking “Barnacle Is Bored” as Want to Read:
Barnacle Is Bored

Barnacle Is Bored

Barnacle is stuck on the underside of a pier, wishing he had something to do. Every day is exactly the same. The tide comes in and Barnacle gets wet. The tide goes out and Barnacle dries off. Boring! Barnacle wants something EXCITING to happen. Then a colorful fish swims by. Barnacle bets the fish doesn't have a boring life. In the end, it turns out exciting isn't always ...more
Published May 10th 2016 by Scholastic Inc. (first published April 26th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Barnacle Is Bored, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barnacle Is Bored

Start your review of Barnacle Is Bored
Michele Knott
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really need to add a sarcastic books shelf because I love that moment when you laugh out loud and realize what just happened. This is one of those books.
Kayla Edwards
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was adorable and fun. Nothing too serious, just kind of lighthearted with a funny ending. Would be great for a quick read aloud!
Maria
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book 5 times and busted up laughing every time. Sadistic barnacle. I am still laughing.
Stephanie Tournas
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
The life of a barnacle, reduced to picture book length: the highs, the lows, etc. Quite funny. Might be the only picture book about a barnacle that I have ever read.
Tasha
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Hanging off of the bottom of a dock is not the most exciting life. Barnacle has times of day when he is cold and wet and other times when he is dry and hot. The tide comes in and out, the waves roll in, the sun goes up and goes down. Barnacle is particularly jealous of the merry life of a polka-dotted little fish nearby. He knows that the fish has to have a lot more fun than Barnacle does. He must go diving with dolphins and frolic with other fish. Just as Barnacle is completing his fantasies ...more
Mary
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Barnacle is bored with being stuck to the bottom of a pier and envies a colorful fish's active life. A playful story about perspective and will be appreciated by readers who enjoy a splash of dark humor in their picture books.
Jon Nakapalau
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hanging around all day...tide rolls in and out...stuck in the same place - Barnacle may find that boring is not all that bad.
Carrie Gelson
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. The perfect PB read aloud for older students (although little ones will love it too)
Sunah Chung
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is a Barnacle who is stuck on the underneath of a pier, complaining why he is so bored. The illustrations maximize his boredom by representing his facial expressions as well as his gestures. For instance, when the tide comes in, his body moves involuntarily, letting him feel wet and cold. And he experiences the tides—low tide and high tide—every day. Thus, he is jealous of a little polka-dotted fish underneath the sea because he can have fun by diving with dolphins and playing with ...more
Margie
It's not done very often. When it is done, it's a rip-roaring success. If it's been memorable, you would think it would become standard practice. Call it intuition of a lifelong reader but reading a book aloud to a group of students for the first time without reading it first yourself, can be and has been pure magic.

There are those books when you first gaze at the dust jacket and book case, it's as if they are speaking to you. If you are like me, you've learned to listen. One look at Barnacle
Katie
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime, childrens
Cute story about Barnacle who is bored. Every day is the same (he describes them). Then along comes a polka-dotted fish. Barnacle imagines all the fun thing that fish gets to do with all the other fish in the ocean. Until another, bigger fish swims along looking hungry. We do acutally see what happens to the other fish (the barnacle covers his eyes), but on the back inside cover the is an illustration of the bigger fish, with the polka dotted guy in his stomach. Suddenly the barnacle is not ...more
Samantha
Barnacle is tired of being stuck to the under side of a pier and imagines all the fun a polka-dotted fish must have until a surprise ending reveals that the cute little fish isn't always having fun.

Put this on the shelf right next to I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean by Kevin Sherry. Good humorous read aloud for PreK-2.
Ryan
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adult humor for a little kid. The perfect story of a barnacle who is stuck in the same place all the time, and is board. He wants to live like the fish that swims by, until he realizes some of the fishes downsides. Great humor put forth by the illustrations, in a simple story, that will be a quick bedtime read.
Samantha
LOL! There is nothing better than a sadistically bored barnacle with not enough appreciation to go around. This book just keeps getting funnier the more you read it, and for storytimes, the parents always end up giggling with me! XD
Christine Grant
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simple book about the life of a barnacle. You have to really connect with the barnacle before attempting this book at Story Time or you will lose your audience. Attractive illustrations--suitable for toddlers and preschool children.
Viviane Elbee
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a quick read, great for short story times.

It also has an unexpected, dark humor ending. This book is both funny and strange at the same time.

It can be used to spark discussion about boredom and whether or not excitement is better.
Justin Langlois
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The life of a barnacle couldn't be anything other than boring. But then again...perhaps it's a safer existence than some of the other sea creatures. Quick and funny. Enjoy!
Allison
This book just appeared on my desk a while ago... And it was hilarious.
Julie
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes being bored isn't so bad - a good choice for kids who always say, "Im bored!"
Jill
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute book, but I read "Plankton is Pushy" first so the ending seemed kind of like a repeat to me and I didn't actually take it to any of my camps to read, but you could do either or for storytime.
Maija
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ah, the grass is always greener on the other side...
Mandy Robek
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
One may not think or complain about being bored again - change can be drastic.
Jeimy
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Sometimes you need a little perspective.
Rian *fire and books*
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hehe. The ending. Hehe. Apparently I'm a fan of these dark endings.
Michelle
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Although short and ending a little limp, the book was cute and gets to the point of getting over being bored.
Amanda Coppedge
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Funny, plus contains lots of opposites and alliteration which would make for a little educational side discussion while reading aloud.
Alyssa Tabor
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
C.D. Gill
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is about perspective. Sometimes we think others' lives are so great, but we don't know about everything they go through. Comparing our situations to others leaves us short on happiness and perspective.
Melissa
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hilarious. I stumbled upon this on one of our frequent trips to the library. It was an instant hit.
Sharon Tyler
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Barnacle is Bored is a picturebook by Jonathan Fenske. Barnacle is stuck on the underside of a pier, wishing he had something to do. Every day is exactly the same. The tide comes in and Barnacle gets cold and wet. The tide goes out and Barnacle dries off. Boring! Barnacle wants something EXCITING to happen. Then a colorful fish swims by. Barnacle bets the fish doesn't have a boring life. In the end, it turns out exciting isn't always better.

Barnacle is Bored is a fun picture book with simple
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Misunderstood Shark
  • Crunch, the Shy Dinosaur
  • Dude!
  • Carrot and Pea: An Unlikely Friendship
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • Grumpy Monkey
  • Llama Destroys the World
  • I Need A Hug
  • Grumpy Pants
  • A Place for Pluto
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • Sam, the Most Scaredy-cat Kid in the Whole World
  • The New LiBEARian
  • The Itchy Book! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #5)
  • How to Read a Story: (Illustrated Children's Book, Picture Book for Kids, Read Aloud Kindergarten Books)
  • Shake the Tree!
  • Some Bugs
  • Go Sleep in Your Own Bed!
Jonathan Fenske is the author and illustrator of the leveled readers Woodward and McTwee, Love Is in the Air, Guppy Up!, and A Pig, a Fox, and a Box, which was a 2016 Geisel Honor book. He is also the author of two picture books, Barnacle Is Bored and its follow-up, Plankton Is Pushy. Jonathan lives in South Carolina with his family.