Start by marking “The Things I Didn't Say” as Want to Read:
The Things I Didn't Say

The Things I Didn't Say

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  595 ratings  ·  142 reviews
I hate the label Selective Mutism - as if I choose not to speak, like a child who refuses to eat broccoli. I've used up every dandelion wish since I was ten wishing for the power to speak whenever I want to. I'm starting to wonder if there are enough dandelions.

After losing her best friend that night, Piper Rhodes changes schools, determined that her final year will be dif
Published May 2nd 2016 by Penguin Australia (first published May 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Things I Didn't Say, please sign up.
Mollie C hi i know that this isnt amazon but if you are uk based then you can find it on book depository here: https://www.bookdepository.com/The-Th...
Summer Skin by Kirsty EagarThe Sidekicks by Will KostakisWords in Deep Blue by Cath CrowleyFrankie by Shivaun PlozzaLady Helen and the Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman
LoveOzYA 2016
72 books — 124 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenLooking for Alibrandi by Melina MarchettaLife in Outer Space by Melissa KeilOn the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
LoveOzYA
377 books — 192 voters

More lists with this book...

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Things I Didn't Say
C.G. Drews
Well, FINALLY, I have found a book that accurately and wonderfully represents social anxiety disorders. And, bonus, features the cutest characters of ever and incredible writing aND IS AUSTRALIAN and had several feels punching moments. I mean; wow. And thankyou. THANKYOU THAT THIS BOOK EXISTS.

Okay, I shall calm.

The story is about Piper who has selective mutism. Which I (A) don't know much about, and (B) hadn't ever read a book about. Piper hasn't stopped speaking because of a traumatic event. I
Madison
4.5 stars!
I've always wanted a book or movie about someone with selective mutism and now I just finished one. Some of you may know that I have selective mutism. I was diagnosed just before I started school so I was 4. It's weird being diagnosed with a social anxiety disorder at the age of 4.

Selective mutism is a disorder where it's basically impossible to talk to people. It's possible but it just feels impossible and people who don't suffer from SM will never understand how hard talking is. Peop
K.
This arrived at work yesterday, and I immediately processed it and covered it so that I could read it as soon as possible because I've been intrigued since hearing about it at an event late last year. This is the story of a teenage girl with Selective Mutism. It's not a disability - she's physically capable of speaking, and she speaks to her family without any problems. It's essentially an extreme form of social anxiety, where she finds herself physically incapable of speaking to practically eve ...more
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence! Check it out for more reviews.

Speech is our primary way of communicating with people. But for Piper, the only way she can communicate in public is with gestures, writing, and non-verbal cues. Imagine how terrifying it would be to not have the ability to speak or to be called on by a teacher who doesn’t know any better in class?

The Things I Didn’t Say captures what it’s like for a teenager with selective mutism, a social anxiety disorder that is often misu
Terri
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This spoiler-free review and more can be found on my blog www.lebookchronicles.com

You might think that this is your typical YA contemporary novel, but it is anything but.

I've read a few YA stories about people who have Selective Mutism however usually it is due to some traumatic experience however with this book,Piper's SM is due to a form of anxiety. I found that the way this mental illness was dealt with in this book was done in such a sensitive manner, and it felt like it portrayed the condi
Irene (thefictionthief)
!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought this at the Penguin Teen Aus YASquad2016 meet up in Melbourne where I met the author and got it signed. I was a little wary because I honestly spend too much money on books and usually I won't buy a book unless I've read it before or I've heard heaps of amazing things about it or if I already know the author and have liked their other work.
None of those things were true in this case. I didn't know the author, and I hadn't heard anything about this book because advance copies
Ryan Buckby
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
actual rating: 4.5

thank you kylie for writing a story about a mental health disorder that was real and not glossed over because you don't get that in YA novels that often, so i take my hat of to you!

the story was engaging and very informative which was a pleasant experience because i don't think i have ever learned about a mental disorder in a YA book before it was refreshing, the book was also very enjoyable. I give huge props to kylie for writing a story that gives the reader information bu
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
SUMMARY
After a disastrous romantic betrayal, Piper Rhodes, suffering from Selective Mutism, changes schools and falls into a romance with the local high school hero.

PLOT
Piper has lost her best friend due to a romantic blunder, so in changing schools she’s hoping for a fresh start where everyone doesn’t know her as the girl who doesn’t speak. As soon as she meets West, local high school captain, soccer star and all-around hero, they tumble into a relationship and fall in love all without Piper sp
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, arc, ya
A sweet, engaging, contemporary YA novel that explores living with anxiety and navigating first love. If you’re looking for a story that will warm your heart without too much darkness this is the book for you.

I was lucky enough to have been able to purchase this terrific Australian YA novel back in March, and finished it in a single evening. Inside my copy Kylie Fornasier wrote ‘Warning: There is kissing in this book’ and stuck a post-it-note on page 279 with a secret message. The note related d
Lily
“Our stresses and worries are like this glass of water. If we think about them for only a short time, we’re fine. If we think about them for longer, we begin to hurt. If we think about them all the time, we will feel paralysed. Remember to put the glass down”

The Things I Didn’t Say by Kylie Fornasier is a surprisingly tender and uplifting young adult contemporary that is, at its core, a story about finding your voice and the many ways in which words have power, both in their ability to destroy o
Steph Cuthbert
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loveozya, young-adult
When I stop ugly crying I will write a review. Loved it. Loved it.
UPDATE: This is one of the most interesting contemporary YA novels I've ever read. Before reading The Things I Didn't Say, I had heard of selective mutism, but had no understanding about what it was. This is the perfect example of how reading broadens your understand of the world by allowing you to step into another person's experience. Kylie sprinkled in details about SM from her (obviously) extensive research, but it never felt
Sass
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Things I Didn't Say is easily in the running for my best book of 2016, and it's only March. I loved this. LOVED. It's sweet and painful by turns, and it all feels so, so real.

If you've read Kylie's sadly out-of-print MASQUERADE, THE THINGS I DIDN'T SAY is nothing like it in tone, plot or structure, but her glorious writing, vivid characters and the way you can sink into her book like a bubble bath remain.
Catherine Pelosi
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So I'm one of those very lucky people who read this story in draft mode. To say I'm excited about its release is an understatement. I just fell in love with the characters and the story. Can't wait to read the published version!
Malka
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
4.5 STARS

I really liked this book. It was a very different read for me for several reasons. Firstly, as this book is only available in Australia it was written in a purely Australian fashion. It was disorienting for me to see words spelled in very different ways than I was used to, as well as some other differences in the way the book was written, that I never knew other countries did differently (for example, instead of writing the time such as seven thirty as 7:30, it was 7.30.) The second dif
Karina
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-books
4.5☆
Thank you for this book Kylie!
This book is the complete opposite of her first book 'Masquerade' but the one thing that does carry over is her ability to write interesting characters. I liked that all the characters had a chance to grow.

I'm not the biggest fan of contemporary books and that is mainly because I am usually being told a story that I have already experienced. I want to disappear into a book - not relive my awkward teenage years.
This book stands out because it is about such an unu
~Madison
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
[read in 2016]
As a mute girl, I really needed this book. Every mute person is different and experience life differently from other mute people so I didn't go into this expecting to relate fully but I related to the main character for most of the book.
I was diagnosed with selective mutism at age 3 but I was getting better until my dad died when I was 4. I'm 20 now and still have only spoken to 6 people in my entire life.

The reason I'm posting this now is because I'm starting a book tube channel
Danielle
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

This was such an interesting read and was extremely cute. I loved that I got to learn about such an unknown social anxiety disorder and how people, both suffers and those around them, deal with such an illness.

However, I did feel that the writing was not the best and I found myself wanting more descriptions and details while reading.

I still enjoyed the book and think it's such a good read for those who may be struggling with social anxiety, or those wanting to better un
Grace
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I CANNOT EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE HOW MANY GOOD FEELINGS I HAVE TOWARDS THIS BOOK!

UPDATE:
If you are wanting a Spoiler-Free review and to hear my thoughts and opinions on this book, here is a link to my review on my Booktube channel :

If you have read this book and you are wanting a spoilery discussion, here's a link to a collaborative blog I did with Julia at Picnic Reads! :
Jess
Things I Didn't Say was another book I picked up early because of Penguin Teen Australia's #YASquad2016. I've actually been waiting for this book to come out for a while because I love everything Kylie Fornasier writes and this book is no exception.

I wonder how long it will be until everyone at school realises I don't say anything, until I become that girl with Selective Mutism. I hate the label Selective Mutism – as if I choose not to speak, like a kid who refuses to eat broccoli. I've used u
Annalie
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have absolutely loved reading this book!! It was so well written and I felt really connected with the characters. Plus it was so nice to read a book set in Australia (being Australian myself).

This book has left me feeling so light and happy. It’s exactly what I wanted after the last book I read (which left me in a sobbing mess) and I’m so glad that I finally read it.

It’s also taught me more about Selective Mutism than I knew before and I think it handled it quite well.

Such a lovely heartwarmin
Hélène Louise
I'm not enthusiastic about the story itself, even if it's thoroughly thought and written, but I loved the exposition of the anxious disorder which is selective mutism: this part is flawless.
It was also quite refreshing to encounter some enlightened teenagers' sexuality: sweet and safe.
Paloma Villasenor
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
*2.5 STARS*
Honestly this was kind of boring. The story was to cliché. The main girl was annoying, the story was plain, idk.
Tamara
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
The Things I Didn't Say is not the first book I have read by Kylie Fornasier. In fact, the first book I read by her, Masquerade was very good. I adored it.

I had unintentionally high expectations going into this book and I'm sad to say I was a little disappointed.

Before I get to the nit picky things that annoyed me about this book I will tell you the things I liked:
- Fornasier's take on selective mutism. I have only read one other book on mutism; Until Friday Night, and I found that I
Kaysia (bookskay)
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i love love loved this book. the main character was so interesting, real and unique. the storyline was engaging and educational, but also just enjoyable. the setting in australia was very relatable. and the story gave me heaps and heaps of feels- the last section had me so worried that things weren't going to be okay! i applaud kylie fornasier for dealing with the topic of selective mutism so well, and creating such an amazing story.
Tash
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Warning : This not a book that you should read on a bus , well any public place. A heartwarming/heartbreaking YA story that features a cute couple

Full review to come
Milly Jane
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was so cute! And Australian!
Jenna
3.5 stars.
Cass -  Words on Paper
4.5/5

Somehow, I knew all along that I would fall in love with this book. An Aussie YA novel about a teen female protagonist with Selective Mutism (SM) and social anxiety struggles to find her ability to speak up? Yes, please! This is the book that I didn't even know that I needed. It was so powerful and raw and inspiring and eye-opening; Fornasier has written an important YA novel that will touch readers and improve their ability to empathise. Social anxiety, and SM, is not something that you ca
Abbey
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Bibliophile Babes...: June Bookish Discussion 20 16 Jul 07, 2016 08:37PM

• The Yearbook Committee
  • Timide
  • My Dilemma is You (My Dilemma is You, #1)
  • Ashes falling for the Sky
  • A Quiet Kind of Thunder
  • Parole d'un bad boy
  • A Straight Line to My Heart
  • Remind Me How This Ends
  • Blood & Bone (Blood & Bone, #1)
  • Never Too Close (Never, #1)
  • Year Two (Bloodshed Academy Book 2)
  • Year One: Bloodshed Academy
  • Breathing Under Water
  • Initiation with my Enemy (teaser)
  • Dating Disasters of Emma Nash
  • Within These Lines
  • Twisted (Dark Protectors, #5.5)
  • Hunted (Dark Protectors, #3)
As a teacher librarian, Kylie Foransier is in touch with what kids like to read, as well as being passionate about helping them enjoy that reading experience as much as she can. Kylie has won a number of writing awards, and already has a published chapter book and a soon-to-be published picture book with other major publishers. She is a strong believer in practicing what she preaches when it comes ...more

News & Interviews