Start by marking “The Doll People (Doll People, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Doll People (Doll People, #1)

The Doll People

(Doll People #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  13,529 ratings  ·  1,205 reviews
Annabelle Doll is 8 years old--and has been for over 100 years. Nothing much has changed in the dollhouse during that time, except for the fact that 45 years ago, Annabelle's Auntie Sarah disappeared from the dollhouse without a trace. After all this time, restless Annabelle is becoming more and more curious about her aunt's fate. And when she discovers Auntie Sarah's old ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Hyperion Books for Children (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Doll People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doll People

·  13,529 ratings  ·  1,205 reviews

Jason
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Aww, I wish my kids liked this more than they did. I mean they did like it, definitely, but they didn’t like like it, you know? And this review is going to have to reflect their reaction to it, not mine, because personally I think this book is cute. But evidently they have different tastes than I do, and who am I to judge? (Just for the record, though, those little jerks wouldn’t know a good book if it bit ’em in the ass.)

The Doll People is the story of a bunch of anthropomorphic dolls who’ve li
Patrick
If you are looking for a story that you can share with your chapter reader that doesn't include first loves, cliques or mean girls than this is the story for you. This was a sweet, delightful and clever story about adventure, friendship and mystery.

Annabelle is part of a doll set that is over one hundred years old. The set has been passed down from grandmother to daughter to granddaughter. Annabelle is curious about what happened to her Auntie Sarah who disappeared from the doll set over 50 yea
Kathryn
This is the first book in the Doll People series, but I unknowingly read them out of order, starting with the third book which is the only one my library had on audiobook. I loved it so much that I asked for the first one for my birthday ;-) I loved it, too.

Here is the story of Annabelle Doll and her family. Created over 100 years ago in England, the Doll family came to live with a little girl in America and has been passed down from mother to daughter over the years. Annabelle and her family no
Katie Carson
Dec 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Although this book is a favorite on my bookshelves, many of my eighth grade girls seems reluctant to pick it up (by fourteen, you apparently should be over dolls, in the eyes of my students) and enthralled within the first few pages. The story about is about an old porcelain doll family who is bombarded with the arrival of a new plastic doll family, who do not respect their "dated" ways of life and The Doll Code of Honor.
This brought to my mind memories of my mom forcing her old Chrissy doll (I
Kacy
Dec 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
OMG BEST BOOK IN THE WORLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...more
Linda Lipko
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
If you are looking for something in depth and intellectual, this isn't the book for you, but if you are weary, tired and simply wanting something smooth, delightfully creative, imaginative and unique, then by all means, take a journey through doll land where magic occurs.

A porcelain family of dolls have inhabited an antique doll house for four generations. They come alive during the day when the house is empty and at night when the house is quiet.

There are funny adventures, both inside the doll
Brittney Griffith
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-commercial
This book is one of my favorites from when I was younger. I love the mystery of trying to find Auntie Sarah and all of the adventures that Annabell goes on to find her aunt and get around the house. Annabell is a doll, who has been passed down in the same family for generations. Fifty years ago, Auntie Sarah disappeared and Annabell's doll family has never found out where she disappeared to. When another doll family moves in, Annabell befriends the daughter and they decide that Annabell needs to ...more
Claire S
Mar 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ever-young, fiction, novel
We really liked this, but were sort of weirded out by it. Plus, an ongoing weird thing would happen where, toys that make music would go on mysteriously in the middle of the night. Throughout my daughter's childhood... it would happen now and then. This one ball with knob-like things sticking out that was really loud, and this one horse with a purple mane.. So, given that, we were perhaps a little bit sensitive. Anyway, great book, the sequel as well. A bit dark, but still..
Emery Black
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book five times! I love it!👍❤ ...more
Rachel'sbookishworld
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, loved this book when I was a bit younger. Would quickly recommend it to anyone asking. :)
Maria
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a five star book! Annabelle Doll has been an eight-year-old doll for over 100 years. Mama, Papa, Nanny, and Uncle Doll currently live in the Doll's house, but Auntie Sarah has been missing for 45 years. The Dolls were once Grandma Katherine's, then her daughter Annie's, and are now
Annie's daughter Kate. When Kate's little sister Nora gets a new doll house, and the Funcrafts move into Nora's room, Tiffany becomes Annabelle's best friend. When Annabelle finds Auntie Sarah's journal, Ti
Leonard Kim
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
My 8yo daughter loves these books and insisted I read this, so I really can't rate it any lower, right?
Lizzy Knowles
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
SPOILER ALERT
Written by Ann M. Martin & Laura Godwin
Pictures by Brian Selznick

There is a house of dolls, but not just any kind of dolls they are alive. Humans don’t know this but when they are away they can talk, walk, read and do just about anything that you could think of. There is one doll who has a secret that no one else knows, and her name is Annabelle. She has 7 people in her family, one is a nanny. Her aunt and uncle live with her and her family.
Auntie Sarah has been missing for
Mariana
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rating:
I give this book 5 stars because it is a-ma-zing. It tells me that dolls are people too, st the beginnig when Mr. Judd gave me this book, I thought it was for babies! But no way, it is amazing! It is a gorgeous story.

Summary:
At Kate's room lied a 100 year old doll house which loved a very curous little girl, Annabelle. She and her family were very scared of humans because they did not want to enter Permanent Doll State, which is when a doll shows herself to a human and then the doll dies
(NS) Becca
Oct 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fict
Doll people is a fantastic book that explores the adventures of Annabelle the doll and her secret life. Annabelle keeps us in suspense as she dabbles in some dangerous business and threatens her own "permanent doll state."

I literally could not put this put down as I read it. I have always been a huge fan of Ann Martin, but this collaboratively written novel is an excellent new tale. It enlightened me to a new style of writing that I had never read from Ann Martin before (I read the whole babysi
Rebecca McNutt
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Original, creative and filled with stunning illustrations, The Doll People is a great book for children with a lot to offer, including a colorful cast of characters, vivid imagery and a large amount of vocabulary. It's nostalgic too, Martin also brought us Babysitters Club Collection #1 in the Nineties and her style is clearly visible in the text.
Abigail
This was a sweet story that I think I would have been obsessed with had I read it when I was ten or eleven. At that time in my life, The Borrowers was a big part of my reading experience, and this book gave me the same vibes as that one. (Also, let's see how many times I can say the word "doll" in this review)
We follow Annabelle Doll, a china doll who lives with her family, the Dolls, in a dollhouse in the bedroom of a girl named Kate. Annabelle has been eight for a hundred years, and recently,
B-zee
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kisah tentang keluarga boneka porselen yang diturunkan dari generasi ke generasi selama lebih dari 100 tahun. Setiap boneka melakukan perjanjian untuk menjaga rahasia bahwa mereka hidup, demi keamanan jenis mereka tersebut. Namun, ada boneka yang tak bisa hanya diam di dalam rumah, mereka haus petualangan, tetapi harus melakukannya dengan cara yang aman, sehingga manusia tidak curiga.

Dalam kisah ini, keluarga boneka porselen mendapatkan tetangga baru, yaitu keluarga boneka plastik yang lebih mod
Heidy Villalvazo
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I recommend this book to a fifth grader. This book was about a doll family that is alive and a doll Annabelle that goes on adventures to find her aunt that went missing forty-five years ago. At the end of the book she does find her and takes her to her family and there house so they live happily ever after.
Michelle Kaufman
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute children's book. Always imagined as a kid, what my dolls did when I wasn't home. Enjoyed this book, and am starting book 2 tonight!
Holli Keel
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was so delightful. I got it with the intent to read it to my boys, but we were busy reading other stuff together, so I read it myself. So cute! Kind of a Toy Story meets Little House on the Prairie meets Nancy Drew. I've always liked Ann M. Martin, and I also love Brian Selznick's illustrations. If you have young kids (or like me, LOVE toys), you and your kids will probably love this book.
Lisa Bittle
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute story. Read outloud with my children aged 3-15. WE all had fun seeing what the dolls got into and the adventures they had. Cute for friendship too.
Stella McAllister
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I loved the fact that not every book has to have people in it and this is a great example of that! The fact that all the dolls came to life was like they were mini people so I'm guessing that's why it is called "The Doll People" because it describes doll people.
Goldilocks Reads (Jenna Vahue)
This was just as tender and sweet as I remember when I read this in third grade. This book provides wonderful nostalgia and makes me so happy whenever I think about it.

The Doll People features the delicate china doll family that have been passed down through generations over one hundred years. The real secret is that the dolls come alive when their owners leave the room. The Doll family is comprised of Mama, Papa, Uncle, Auntie Sarah (who went missing in 1955), Nanny, Bobby, Baby Betsy (who came
Nancy
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it
When I found this on the children's shelves while working at the library, I knew I had to read it, hoping to recapture the magic of a book from my childhood (in the 50's). My sister and I have tried to find at least some reference to that book over the years, but not remembering the exact title has kept us from doing so. It featured a doll house family similar to this one, made of china, but without movable joints, so that the illustrations showed them leaning against their chairs. We both remem ...more
Beth Anne
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud, 2012, 2014, 2019
2/19
So fun to read this aloud yet again. Loved introducing Gwen and Alec to this story and characters. Gwen enjoyed it and Alec kept asking for me to read "the baby dolls" to him! And he sat on my lap and listened to much of it with us.

11/14
Listened to the audio book with Emma and Will. They didn't want to stop, finished it in two days! Then we listened to it a second time, in two days again. Fun story!

9/12:
Emma and I really enjoyed this one, especially the mystery part of the plot. She kept be
Amie
Oct 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I enjoyed listening to this low fantasy story about personified toys. Annabelle Doll and her family of china dolls have lived a happy, yet somewhat boring, life for over one hundred years in their doll house. Annabelle, the most curious of the all wants to find out what happened to her Aunt Sarah, who vanished almost fifty years ago, and is determined to find her even if it means leaving their home and risking the chance of being seen out of place by the humans who own them. Adding to the excite ...more
Linda Johnson
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who has ever wondered if dolls can be real.
Recommended to Linda by: Students in the library
Ever since I was a little girl and had a dollhouse that my father built, I used to imagine that the dolls were real.

This book brought me back to my childhood and the wonderful memories of that dollhouse.

The story tells of an daring doll and her adventures to find her aunt (also adventuresome) who had gone missing. Of course, all of the doll's activities have to happen when the people are gone or asleep.

Read about Annabelle and the other dolls in the family as they travel through the house looki
Susan
Ann M. Martin's The Doll People is a great book. Annabelle Doll is eight-years old - has been since she was made, over 100 years ago. Part of a family of eight, Annabelle spends her days being played with, avoiding "The Captain" (her owner's cat), and most of all, avoiding being seen as alive by any human beings.

When Annabelle discovers the journal of Auntie Sarah, who has been missing for the last 45 years, she decides to find out what happened to her. The fantastic adventures of Annabelle and
Cindi
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a very cute and imaginative book and the reader was excellent (the same one who read Inkheart). I think every little girl (and maybe boys too!) wonder about their dolls coming alive when they aren't looking. I remember watching Raggedy Ann and Andy and then thinking about my dolls. This book has a nice mixture of old-fashioned and modern and several generations of family living in the same house. Don't tell him I mentioned this, but even my almost 15 year old boy thought that this was p ...more
  • The Best-Loved Doll
  • Toys Go Out: Being the Adventures of a Knowledgeable Stingray, a Toughy Little Buffalo, and Someone Called Plastic (Toys #1)
  • Twig
  • Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1-3)
  • Young Fredle (Davis Farm, #2)
  • Who Ran My Underwear up the Flagpole?
  • Trial by Journal
  • The End of the Beginning: Being the Adventures of a Small Snail (and an Even Smaller Ant)
  • The Elevator Family
  • Ratpunzel (Hamster Princess, #3)
  • The Castle Corona
  • Princess of the Damned
  • The Magic Half
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen, Will Travel
  • Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat (Emmy, #1)
  • Alice in Blunderland (Alice Prequels, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)

Doll People (4 books)
  • The Meanest Doll in the World (Doll People, #2)
  • The Runaway Dolls (Doll People, #3)
  • The Doll People Set Sail (Doll People, #4)