Start by marking “The Doll People (Doll People, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Doll People (Doll People, #1)

The Doll People

(Doll People #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  14,580 ratings  ·  1,301 reviews
Annabelle Doll is 8 years old--and has been for over 100 years. Nothing much has changed in the dollhouse during that time, except for the fact that 45 years ago, Annabelle's Auntie Sarah disappeared from the dollhouse without a trace. After all this time, restless Annabelle is becoming more and more curious about her aunt's fate. And when she discovers Auntie Sarah's old ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published August 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Doll People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doll People

·  14,580 ratings  ·  1,301 reviews

Start your review of The Doll People (Doll People, #1)
Jason
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Aww, I wish my kids liked this more than they did. I mean they did like it, definitely, but they didn’t like like it, you know? And this review is going to have to reflect their reaction to it, not mine, because personally I think this book is cute. But evidently they have different tastes than I do, and who am I to judge? (Just for the record, though, those little jerks wouldn’t know a good book if it bit ’em in the ass.)

The Doll People is the story of a bunch of anthropomorphic dolls who’ve li
Tina
This is a middle grade book with a little mystery. This story is told by Annabelle Doll who is a young doll girl who is part of a 100 year old doll set. Annabelle wants to find her Auntie Sarah who disappeared from the dollhouse without a trace over 40 year ago. I love all the characters, and they where so fun and developed. I love this storyline was very fun to read, and I enjoyed reading this book. The small mystery parts was fun. This book made me think of the movie "Toy Story" a little bit.
Patrick
If you are looking for a story that you can share with your chapter reader that doesn't include first loves, cliques or mean girls than this is the story for you. This was a sweet, delightful and clever story about adventure, friendship and mystery.

Annabelle is part of a doll set that is over one hundred years old. The set has been passed down from grandmother to daughter to granddaughter. Annabelle is curious about what happened to her Auntie Sarah who disappeared from the doll set over 50 yea
Kathryn
This is the first book in the Doll People series, but I unknowingly read them out of order, starting with the third book which is the only one my library had on audiobook. I loved it so much that I asked for the first one for my birthday ;-) I loved it, too.

Here is the story of Annabelle Doll and her family. Created over 100 years ago in England, the Doll family came to live with a little girl in America and has been passed down from mother to daughter over the years. Annabelle and her family no
Katie Carson
Dec 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Although this book is a favorite on my bookshelves, many of my eighth grade girls seems reluctant to pick it up (by fourteen, you apparently should be over dolls, in the eyes of my students) and enthralled within the first few pages. The story about is about an old porcelain doll family who is bombarded with the arrival of a new plastic doll family, who do not respect their "dated" ways of life and The Doll Code of Honor.
This brought to my mind memories of my mom forcing her old Chrissy doll (I
Kacy
Dec 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
OMG BEST BOOK IN THE WORLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...more
Linda Lipko
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
If you are looking for something in depth and intellectual, this isn't the book for you, but if you are weary, tired and simply wanting something smooth, delightfully creative, imaginative and unique, then by all means, take a journey through doll land where magic occurs.

A porcelain family of dolls have inhabited an antique doll house for four generations. They come alive during the day when the house is empty and at night when the house is quiet.

There are funny adventures, both inside the doll
Cadence
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
"What surprised me was when Kate said, "Do you ever think dolls are alive?"" -Cadee, age 7
Brittney Griffith
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-commercial
This book is one of my favorites from when I was younger. I love the mystery of trying to find Auntie Sarah and all of the adventures that Annabell goes on to find her aunt and get around the house. Annabell is a doll, who has been passed down in the same family for generations. Fifty years ago, Auntie Sarah disappeared and Annabell's doll family has never found out where she disappeared to. When another doll family moves in, Annabell befriends the daughter and they decide that Annabell needs to ...more
Rebecca McNutt
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Original, creative and filled with stunning illustrations, The Doll People is a great book for children with a lot to offer, including a colorful cast of characters, vivid imagery and a large amount of vocabulary. It's nostalgic too, Martin also brought us Babysitters Club Collection #1 in the Nineties and her style is clearly visible in the text. ...more
Claire S
Mar 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel, ever-young, fiction
We really liked this, but were sort of weirded out by it. Plus, an ongoing weird thing would happen where, toys that make music would go on mysteriously in the middle of the night. Throughout my daughter's childhood... it would happen now and then. This one ball with knob-like things sticking out that was really loud, and this one horse with a purple mane.. So, given that, we were perhaps a little bit sensitive. Anyway, great book, the sequel as well. A bit dark, but still..
Rachel :)
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, loved this book when I was a bit younger. Would quickly recommend it to anyone asking. :)
Emery Black
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book five times! I love it!👍❤️
Leonard Kim
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
My 8yo daughter loves these books and insisted I read this, so I really can't rate it any lower, right?
Lisa
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read this aloud with my 9 year old and we loved it! It is full of adventure and mysteries that keep you guessing what will happen next. The characters are easy to relate to and add to the stories charm. I would recommend reading the book over doing an audio because Brian Selnick's illustrations are great!
Tara Kendall
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I remember loving this book as a child. I just finished reading it to my first graders and they were hanging on every word 💛
Lizzy Knowles
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
SPOILER ALERT
Written by Ann M. Martin & Laura Godwin
Pictures by Brian Selznick

There is a house of dolls, but not just any kind of dolls they are alive. Humans don’t know this but when they are away they can talk, walk, read and do just about anything that you could think of. There is one doll who has a secret that no one else knows, and her name is Annabelle. She has 7 people in her family, one is a nanny. Her aunt and uncle live with her and her family.
Auntie Sarah has been missing for man
Mordy :•)
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books as a child, even my mother loved it when she read it to me. I am now in my mid-twenties and still adore this story. Its so interesting and fun. I hope to read the 3rd and 4th book in the series on day too.
Mariana
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rating:
I give this book 5 stars because it is a-ma-zing. It tells me that dolls are people too, st the beginnig when Mr. Judd gave me this book, I thought it was for babies! But no way, it is amazing! It is a gorgeous story.

Summary:
At Kate's room lied a 100 year old doll house which loved a very curous little girl, Annabelle. She and her family were very scared of humans because they did not want to enter Permanent Doll State, which is when a doll shows herself to a human and then the doll dies
(NS) Becca
Oct 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fict
Doll people is a fantastic book that explores the adventures of Annabelle the doll and her secret life. Annabelle keeps us in suspense as she dabbles in some dangerous business and threatens her own "permanent doll state."

I literally could not put this put down as I read it. I have always been a huge fan of Ann Martin, but this collaboratively written novel is an excellent new tale. It enlightened me to a new style of writing that I had never read from Ann Martin before (I read the whole babysi
Katie Fitzgerald
This is a review of the entire Doll People series, including The Doll People, The Meanest Doll in the World, The Runaway Dolls, The Doll People Set Sail, and The Doll People's Christmas.

When my mom came to visit just before Easter, she brought us paperback copies of all of the Doll People books. I have always wanted to read them, so I decided to just preview them all at once so that I will be ready to hand them to my oldest daughter whenever I think she is ready.

The main character of the series
Alicea
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
This post has taken me far longer to write than I'd like to admit and I think that's largely because I found this book pretty lukewarm. The Doll People by Ann M. Martin (with pictures by Brian Selznick) was another one of those books recommended as a great book for the kids in your life who are trying to stretch their legs as early and eager readers. I didn't realize at the outset of reading it that it was actually the first in a series which follow the lives of the members of the Doll family. T ...more
Abigail
This was a sweet story that I think I would have been obsessed with had I read it when I was ten or eleven. At that time in my life, The Borrowers was a big part of my reading experience, and this book gave me the same vibes as that one. (Also, let's see how many times I can say the word "doll" in this review)
We follow Annabelle Doll, a china doll who lives with her family, the Dolls, in a dollhouse in the bedroom of a girl named Kate. Annabelle has been eight for a hundred years, and recently,
Heidy Villalvazo
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I recommend this book to a fifth grader. This book was about a doll family that is alive and a doll Annabelle that goes on adventures to find her aunt that went missing forty-five years ago. At the end of the book she does find her and takes her to her family and there house so they live happily ever after.
Michelle Kaufman
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute children's book. Always imagined as a kid, what my dolls did when I wasn't home. Enjoyed this book, and am starting book 2 tonight!
Liv Bowie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was one of my all time favorite books when I was a kid and it still follows through! This book is an adorable adventure about dolls that come to life!
Rebecca
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I thought it was good, because I liked the doll's point of view instead of just people.
Gwen
Jun 19, 2020 rated it liked it
First chapter book read aloud that my 4 year old LOVED. She’s still talking about the Doll People. Just like my love of the Babysitters Club years ago, Ann M. Martin can pace a good friendship story.
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this as a kid and absolutely loved it!
Misslailadean
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
i loved the book and i am sad for it to end i cant i wait to read the second book

• The Tale of Despereaux: The Graphic Novel
  • The School Story
  • Philippa Fisher and the Dream-Maker's Daughter (Philippa Fisher, #2)
  • The Tale of Despereaux
  • The Tail of Emily Windsnap (Emily Windsnap, #1)
  • Snail Mail, No More (Elizabeth and Tara*Starr, #2)
  • The Doll Shop Downstairs
  • Philippa Fisher's Fairy Godsister (Philippa Fisher, #1)
  • Because of Winn-Dixie
  • The Castle Behind Thorns
  • The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • Just Grace (Just Grace, #1)
  • Junie B., First Grader: Shipwrecked (Junie B. Jones, #23)
  • The Mother-Daughter Book Club
  • Shadow Children (Boxed Set): Among the Hidden; Among the Impostors; Among the Betrayed; Among the Barons
  • The Penderwicks Collection: The Penderwicks, The Penderwicks on Gardam Street, The Penderwick at Point Mouette
  • The Village that Vanished

Doll People (4 books)
  • The Meanest Doll in the World (Doll People, #2)
  • The Runaway Dolls (Doll People, #3)
  • The Doll People Set Sail (Doll People, #4)