Start by marking “On Christmas Eve” as Want to Read:
On Christmas Eve

On Christmas Eve

A heartfelt gift for every family, sure to be shared over and over each year.

Eight-year-old Tess is convinced this is the year she will finally meet Santa, and experience "the Christmas magic." She also wishes with all her heart that her best friend's ill father will recover. Tess' faith in the season results in a Christmas Eve so wondrous, so sparkling, readers won't be a
Published September 22nd 2006 by Scholastic Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about On Christmas Eve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Christmas Eve

Casey
Nov 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a girl who is determined to see santa clause. While her best friends dad is sick.Will her friends dad die and will she see Santa Clause? Read this book to find out.

This is an amazing novel that I have enjoyed reading many time. This is one I will read again and again. I also read this book to my little brother. And he loved it.

I recommend this book to everyone who believes.
cedar
Dec 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really think I believe in Santa now!
Emma
Not so great.
Carson hall
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: average
It's hard for me to think who is book was written for. Definitely not for hard core religious people who think Santa is an evil being taking Christ out of Christmas. I don't know if it is good for kids who have recently lost a parent or friend. I have a hard time recommending it, but I will say that it did make me cry.
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Babysitter Club lovers
On Christmas Eve 1958, Tess met Santa Claus. She had a very special question to ask him...if he could heal her best friend's dad of cancer. This is a very sweet story for middle grade about the power of hope.
Kat Myers
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Touching tale about the magic of Christmas, perfect for reading aloud before bed. Good for kids who are just on the verge of becoming (or have already become) "non-believers". Definitely not for little ones who haven't started questioning Santa's existence.
Jessie
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
So fun! I fell in love with Ann M. Martin as a kid, and it was fun to read a new book (new to me, anyway) from her as an adult. I always love stories that center around Christmas viewed through children's eyes, and this one was no different. Full of magic and joy, it was a good read!
Sarah Evans
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting idea, like an update on Moore’s Night Before Christmas, but the plotting was a bit wonky.
Kathy
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enchanting story of a young girl and her belief in Santa and the Magic of Christmas! Loved the story and the message within!
Frances
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas-books
Well written and heart warming.
Mitzi
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely little story. I think the message that Christmas is, ultimately, about Hope, is spot on.
Bev(baglady)
Roxanna
Sweet enough little story. Very simple.
Sarah Piper
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Cute, quick read about life, death, hope and Christmas Magic.

A must read every year.
Kerry
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
It was kind of cute, but also kind of all over the place. Good for Ages 8-12 I would say.
Sophie Glickman
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this every year on Christmas Eve, it is a sweet story about hope and has me thinking about the true meaning of Christmas at the end!
Pam
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Eight year old is intent to meet Santa to ask him to save her friend's father who is dying of cancer. She learns of the magic of hope. Nice little story.
Julianna
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book.
Jen
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Heavier than I was expecting, but filled with Christmas magic. A sweet Holiday story.
Sue
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun story about a girl, Tess who believes in Santa Claus and makes plans to meet him this Christmas to ask a favor for her friend whose father is ill with cancer.
Kristen
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a cute story and short audiobook about the magic of Christmas. I love Martin and this is a book I'd highly recommend to get you into that Christmas spirit.
Courtney Alexander
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
On Christmas Eve by Ann M. Martin is a holiday novel revealing the true effects of what Christmas magic can do for someone. The novel starts out with eight-year-old Tess who has decided that this year she is actually going to meet Santa this year. Tess is determined to meet Santa for two reasons; one being that Santa has brought her all these amazing gifts over the past eight years that now it is her turn to thank him and return the favor, the other reason being that Tess' best friend Sarah's fa ...more
Rafael Herrera
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I always wanted to know how Christmas magic works. So in this book it tells you how christmas magic works but you have to find out yourself by reading this book. I think this is one of the best Christmas book you have to read during December.here are a few resons why. easy to read, the story is so good that it makes read more, and makes you feel the Christmas spirit.
The setting takes place at 1998.I don"t know which state it is because the book dosent tell you.tess wanted to see santa but cant s
Rui Wen
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
On Christmas Eve, is a very inspirational and miraculous book. It is about a eight year old girl, Tess. And Tess gets convinced that at this age, she will meet Santa Claus and experience his magic. Tess is a very sweet girl, she has many christmas wishes, but the one she wants the most to come true is for her best friend's father to get out of hospital. Tess is very unselfish, and she is really looking forward to meeting Santa. Will Tess be able to finally meet Santa, and will her wish come true ...more
Linda Lipko
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely book, filled with images of a simple time, when baking cookies and decorating trees created wonderful memories. The author paints a portrait of an old-fashioned Christmas, filled with hand made ornaments, snow that sparkles, Christmas Eve church service, and a town where all stores sparkle with displays.

As a child of the 1950's this captured many memories for me. Christmas was exciting, filled with expectation. Making hand-made presents for my parents -- an ash tray, and a cand
Madoka Sakuta
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SCHOLASTIC level?
I bought this book in Kentucky!
Jan 23 30 min
Jan 25 30 min
Jan 27 10 min
7words
Chiristmas night present friend magic Santa Claus hope
Question
1 What do you want to get as a Chiristmas present?

Well...There are many things which I want to get.
Especially, I want to get flight tickets to go to Kentucky.
Recently, I want to go back to Kentucky because I miss my friends.
Also I want to study English but I do not have time.
To pass exams for becoming teachers, I have to study another subjec
Kayla
Jan 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
I grabbed this audiobook to make my commute cozy and Christmas-y. Overall, it was enjoyable, but it wasn't exactly what I expected. I was anticipating a magical tale of a young girl waiting up on Christmas Eve, hoping to meet Santa Claus. This book is one Christmas magic, and one part Christmas tragedy. Without spoiling the story for anyone, our young believer is hoping for a Christmas miracle. Disappointingly, she doesn't pray for this miracle--she asks Santa. So, obviously this is not a religi ...more
Jessie
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it

I bought this on my book order a couple of years ago. I've been on a Christmas book kick lately and read a bunch of children's Christmas books. This one stands out from the others. Ann Martin is a great young adult author. I loved her Corner of the Universe book as well. This story is a sweet story of believing in Santa Clause and the magic of Christmas. ** stop her for spoilers** A young person believes she will see Santa on Christmas Eve. She believes and it happens. She also learns that her
Salsabrarian
Read by Alison Fraser. 1950s. Tess believes that this year she is going to meet the real Santa Claus. She's been feeling a special magic growing all around her as Christmas approaches. And when she actually does meet Santa in her living room on Christmas Eve she asks him to help her best friend Sara's father get better from cancer. Santa can't promise this but says he'll do his best. Tess believes that Sara's father will be healthy again. But a few months later, he dies. Tess' faith is shaken so ...more
  • Lucy Rose: Here's the Thing About Me
  • When Santa Fell to Earth
  • Froggy's Best Christmas
  • Santa Paws On Christmas Island (Santa Paws)
  • A Pussycat's Christmas
  • The Toddler's Busy Book: 365 Creative Games and Activities to Keep Your 1 1/2- to 3-Year-Old Busy
  • Who Is Stealing the 12 Days of Christmas?
  • Molly's Pilgrim
  • Miss Smith and the Haunted Library
  • The Dog Who Thought He Was Santa
  • Rubber Houses
  • If You Sailed On The Mayflower
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Outside the Box: A Book of Poems
  • Village Christmas (Fairacre, #6)
  • American Revolution (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #11)
  • Fall Mixed Up