Start by marking “Blood in the Water (Destroyermen, #11)” as Want to Read:
Blood in the Water (Destroyermen, #11)

Blood in the Water

(Destroyermen #11)

Taylor Anderson’s enthralling New York Times bestselling series of alternate history continues as game-changing revelations upend the Grand Alliance in a potentially cataclysmic war.

Ever since the USS Walker came from another world war to defy the terrifying Grik and diabolical Dominion, Matt Reddy and his crew have given their all to protect the oppressed Lemurians. Bu
Published June 14th 2016 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Blood in the Water, please sign up.
James I could see the book being enjoyable without the others, but I think there would be a lot that you wouldn't get. Reading from the beginning and experi…moreI could see the book being enjoyable without the others, but I think there would be a lot that you wouldn't get. Reading from the beginning and experiencing the story, twists, and discoveries is BY FAR the best way to get into this world. (less)
Marv Taylor Anderson's "Blood in the Water" (Destroyermen #11) just came out from Roc a week ago!

Start your review of Blood in the Water (Destroyermen, #11)
Donna
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is the 11th book in this series, and I am still enjoying it. This whole series has been a solid 4 stars. That is perplexing to me because "war" and "alternate histories" are really not genres I spend a lot of time in, nor do I feel drawn to them. BUT this series has be completely hooked. The characters are strong and they make me laugh.

I also love the narrator of the audios. He does all the different voices so well. They are fun to listen to.
Daniel Shellenbarger
(what follows are some general thoughts (from my first read-through in 2016, though after a second reading, I think my points are still valid) on what I liked and what frustrated me about this book, some is mildly spoilerish, but I don't really bother with a plot synopsis; after all this is book 11 in the series, a plot synopsis would take forever!)

100ish pages in when I realized that he was really going to do it, I swore I'd give this book 3 stars out of rage, but here we are, and I gave it 4 s
Kathy Davie
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eleventh in the Destroyermen military science fiction series and revolving around a mixed bag of allies who have joined with USS Walker to battle this world’s enemies.

My Take
Anderson is still getting to the point…although to be fair, there is quite a bit of action, from cannibalistic natives, new versions of Griks and Lemurians, Griks rebelling against their status quo, Czech-Lemurians teaming up with Griks(!), kidnapping, aerial reconnaissance, and a reverse sort of, I'll call it "prejudice" ha
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
I just love the "Destroyermen" series and am amazed at how Taylor Anderson can continue to churn them out without becoming boring and repetitive. As all the others in the series, this book is gripping, tense, exciting and surprising throughout. The evil, reptilian Grik have almost evolved into more subtle and more dangerous foes, some are even to be admired! The League of Tripoli are beginning to show themselves to be nasty, devious fascists (aren't all fascists nasty and devious?). I'm not goin ...more
I.F. Adams
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
If you're still reading them at this point, you're pretty damn committed.

On the one hand, it can be easy to get frustrated at the slow pace of the story, which is incredibly complex at this point. On the other, it's relatively easy to keep track of the major players in contrast to some other epic series like Safehold.

Ultimately, its still a fun ride and this one moved at a bit brisker a pace than the prior ones, and was a hell of a lot darker too. Not that any of them were terribly bright and c
stormin
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, alt-history
I was painting my entire downstairs and i thought: what would be really fun to listen to while I paint 12 hours a day for two days in a row? And I thought: Destroyermen.

And I was right.

Ryan Rauber
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another exciting entry into this series. My biggest complaint is the same one I raised in my review of the last book. Anderson has done TOO good a job of world building. There's so much going on and so many characters to cover, he just can't fit them all into one book. This one barely touched on the Eastern Front, Shinya didn't even appear until the epilogue. Here we get a lot more on the war against the Grik. Lots of Silva and Larry, too. This book seems to be a set up for new story arc, too ba ...more
Sonny
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Still good alternate history / science fiction story but it needs a resolution. This is the 11 th book and it is starting to become predictable as far as the story line and plot are concerned. The ship is practically destroyed and then rebuilt. Some ships are destroyed but replaced with newer and better versions. As happens in each of the previous 10 novels. Time to end the war I think.
GaiusPrimus
May 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Another 600 pages, another 2 weeks of stories. *sigh* In the words of Kimberly "Sweet Brown" Wilkins, "Ain't nobody got time for that". I'm just glad we didn't discover a new group of people.

Honestly, this book and the previous one should've been properly edited and combined into a single volume.
Martha
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy this Alternate History Series with its strong character, lots of action and adventure. My Rating 4.5.

This is book 11 of this engaging alternate history series. The story follows the adventures, and continued battles, of WWII destroyer, the USS Walker, and its enemy, the Japanese battlecruiser Amagi. Both ships were pulled by a storm into a different Pacific Ocean. In this alternate Earth, the continents are populated by giant lemur-like beings known as Lemurians, and their brutal,
Kristoffer
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. These books are incredibly addictive reads, and I can't wait until the next one comes out. I kind of wish that the series would come to an end so that I quit anticipating new developments in the story and wanting another book to read. Taylor Anderson has proven to be a capable author, and I would like to see what other stories could be dreamed up by him that aren't Destroyermen stories. Even just wrapping up some of the major wars in the Destroyermen books and then having som ...more
Charles  van Buren
Entertaining and well written, June 8, 2017

Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: Blood In the Water (Destroyermen) (Kindle Edition)

In the West, Blood in the Water clearly defines The League of Tripoli as a duplicitous enemy of the Alliance. In the East, representatives of the Alliance finally reach the New Americans. Some of the action and plot details are a little predictable to those of us who have read the entire series to date. This is common when reading a series. After all, D
Steven Bragg
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have consistently given the author three-star reviews in the past, which balances out his deep knowledge of naval warfare and weaponry against a not especially good writing style (and really weak dialog). In this book, however, the massive range of the activities and (dare I say it) character development are starting to nudge this series into the four-star category. I am finding fewer cringe-grade sentences. This is not meant to be a backhanded slap at the author - he really is improving over ...more
T.M.
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable installment

This was another enjoyable installment that I read just after the previous book in the series. The only trouble with doing so is that you tend to forget which scenes happened in which book. I enjoyed this one, even though it had more of an 'Empire Strikes Back' feel. Plenty of new enemies that you want to hate, and plenty of new friends that you want to know more about. Looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Warren
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Setting the stage

A well written and crafted installment. This resets the scene, develops a new antagonist and reaffirms that even though dimensional travel some cultures do not fall far from the tree. Always watch you back dealing with the French. So the stage has been set in both theatres and now the author has to keep it all straight and save the alliance.
Sarah Shields
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
Another great addition to the series. I love that the characters I've come to know can still continue to surprise me. I'm hoping for more information about the war against the Dominion in the next book, but loved the focus on Silva and his escapades in this book. The League is now possibly my least favorite group of people. I'm interested to see how it all plays out in the next book!
Fredrick Danysh
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
The crew of the USS Walker who have been transported to an alternative Earth continue their alliance with the Lemurians against the Grik and the Dominions. Off the tip of Africa, the fight becomes personal for Matt Ready when his wife is captured by the enemy. The alliance also acquires a new enemy.
Van
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great series, but as I mentioned in a previous post i stopped reading it 10 books in to it. Now I'm trying fo finish the last 5 books. You can't go wrong with this one. However there are a lot of characters to follow and events occurring all over the world the author created so at times it may be hard to follow. But if you keep at it you're be richly rewarded.
Michael Rutkowski
This is the eleventh book in this series and it is still immensely entertaining ! This series could go on and on as it continually keeps introducing new characters and new plot lines ! There is no end in sight so I will just continue to enjoy each new book in the series !
Lee Yun
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While Blood in the Water was still enjoyable, much of the book was concerned with setting up the plot lines for the next few books, although we do get to see quite abit of one of my favourite characters, Silva!
Dabbling Madman
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Woo! This book took a good while to finish. Nothing to do with the quality of the story, just hit a slump all of a sudden. But I enjoyed this story a lot. More development and after writing to the author and receiving a reply, I’m excited to see what happens in the next books!
Fernando
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Taylor Anderson does it again! Now the stakes are higher than ever, with some unthinkable events going on, cant wait for the next episode in one of my favorite alternate history sagas!
Michael
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This whole series is gripping, exciting and entertaining. I like every one and can't wait for the next. Same comment for each book in the series.
Brad Brushman
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really good book, can't wait for the next one!
Jaydan Levesque
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was decent but it was hard for me to follow and was not really my cup of tea when it comes to being interested in a book.
Mayank GO
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Finished this one quickly (weekend + interesting story).

Another twist added, possibly a third front of the war. Let's see what happens in the next one.
Joe
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Getting more interesting, if such a thing is possible! Between the Grik, the Doms, Kurokawa and now the League plotting against the Union, the intrigue is deep and devious...
Michael Laflamme
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
A gripping story. A huge colorful canvas. A host of memorable characters and their continuing adventures of discovery against enormous odds. What's not to like?
brian andrews
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
The series I hope is reaching a climax, at least in one sphere of the war against the Grik.
This book illustrates the choices in war, the finite amount of resources available to the allinace and that at a breaking point, choices are not always the best.
Battles occur and losses to persons and equipment on both sides, the Grik havent gone away and still have claws to attack. The alliance must constantly adapt, but so have the Grik, the Japanese and the League. This book focus in the eastern war zo
Wess Rodgers
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Blood in the Water,” is the latest volume in Taylor Anderson’s staggering work of alternative history, “The Destroyermen.” It continues to build, climax upon climax, toward some unknown and unimaginable ultimate climax, which, hopefully, will be a long way down the road.
The premise of Anderson’s alternate time line is that none of the extinction events that altered the variety of life on our own line ever happened, and Homo Sapiens is NOT the apex predator! Anderson has created a vast menageri
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Missing blurb and page count 2 194 Feb 26, 2020 07:29AM

• Freefall (Mavericks, #2)
  • The Artful Apprentice (Schooled in Magic, #19)
  • Mountain of Mars (Starship's Mage, #8)
  • Rally Cry (Lost Regiment #1)
  • Fata Morgana
  • Relics of Eternity (Shadow of Terra, #1)
  • Critical Mass (Expeditionary Force, #10)
  • The Service of Mars (Starship's Mage,  #9)
  • Ruined Terra (Empire of Bones Saga, Book 11)
  • What Color Is Night?
  • Joy
  • The Boy and the Gorilla
  • Under My Tree
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • In the Woods
  • Cast Away: Poems for Our Time
  • This Poem Is a Nest
  • Becoming Muhammad Ali

Destroyermen (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Into the Storm (Destroyermen, #1)
  • Crusade (Destroyermen, #2)
  • Maelstrom (Destroyermen, #3)
  • Distant Thunders (Destroyermen, #4)
  • Rising Tides (Destroyermen, #5)
  • Firestorm (Destroyermen, #6)
  • Iron Gray Sea (Destroyermen, #7)
  • Storm Surge (Destroyermen, #8)
  • Deadly Shores (Destroyermen, #9)
  • Straits of Hell (Destroyermen, #10)

News & Interviews