Start by marking “What Great Parents Do: 75 Proven Strategies for Raising Fantastic Kids” as Want to Read:
What Great Parents Do: 75 Proven Strategies for Raising Fantastic Kids

What Great Parents Do: 75 Proven Strategies for Raising Fantastic Kids

A golden rule book to parenting best practices, What Great Parents Do concisely presents key strategies to help parents reshape kids' challenging behaviors, create strong family bonds, and guide children toward becoming happy, kind, responsible adults.

What Great Parents Do is an everything-you-need-to-know road map for parenting that you will consult again and again. Psych
Published August 30th 2016 by TarcherPerigee (first published June 7th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about What Great Parents Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Great Parents Do

Gela
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
First-reads Win-Goodreads.

I would honestly give this book a 3.5. It's not a bad book but to me it's a lot of matter of opinion. Helpful hints yes, but I can't see anyone but a psychiatrist responding to and having a family that communicate like in this book. I don't know if it's also a culture clash for me. I didn't agree with some methods. No disrespect to the author but a bit seems phony-fake to me. Also the whole time I'm reading it, I'm picturing that tv special with Martha Stuart and Ms. Pi
Jenny
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
The format of this book is readable and easy to follow - most strategies include a tip for how to apply or practice it in real life. Her many examples made it possible to visualize what the strategy means and looks like.

It could probably have been "50 Proven Strategies" since some of them were repetitive or just an expansion of others. Overall, I felt like I learned both new parenting strategies as well as new ways of thinking about things I'm already doing or trying to do.
Ryan
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
As a parenting book, I like the format. As advertised in the title, it gives 75 quick tips for parenting. Many of them overlap as would be expected. The nice part is they are quick and to the point. Here's the tip, here's why it's important, here's a sample way to implement it. Many other books on this topic get preachy. This is a very quick read for these reasons. Many of the tips will seem like common sense. For instance, don't yell at your kids. I knew that but I yell at mine anyway. I like t ...more
Blurooferika
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy to pick up and put down, these quick chapters focus on one small aspect of parenting and how exactly to implement it. Full of a few good reminders:

Great parents:
* show empathy for the way their kids experience the world
* see the goal of discipline is learning, not punishment
* help their children improve their self-control in order to achieve a goal
* give kids previews of the bad things that might happen and give them the freedom to decide whether to proceed. (Then review later in a nonjudgm
Jadelyn Bailey
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Dr. Reishcher takes a wealth of parenting, nurturing and counseling resources and skills, simplifies them and lays them out for nurturers to skim or devour. A handy guidebook for raising children from early years through young adulthood. Her first strategy is empathy. Reischer has example scripts for parents to practice and examples of how to implement empathy and the other strategies. These strategies are useful in the workplace and in volunteer situations as well as in the home.
Kate
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pregnancy-babies
Easy to read, lots of information, and very straightforward. I would highly recommend this for new parents, parents who feel like they are having trouble connecting or communicating with their children, and parents who need help getting back on track after a major life disruption (divorce, mental heath lapse, a period of unemployment, etc) which may have affected their relationship with their kids.
Stephanie Sheaffer
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Picked this one up off the library shelves without knowing anything about (which I rarely do).

I was pleasantly surprised. The chapters are bite-sized and organized, giving specific strategies and ideas for parenting kids of all ages. Nothing revolutionary, but always helpful to be reminded of ways to improve myself.

Overall? This is a good resource and I recommend.

* I'd probably give this a 3.5, but .5's aren't possible on goodreads. ;)
Erica
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is hardly revolutionary, but I liked that it was short and too-the-point about how to be a good parent. I think it's a useful thing to pick up when you need to reboot or rethink things.

That said, perhaps it was a little too brief in some areas...and a little too Mary Poppins?
K
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basic/essential pointers, many of which focus on handling behavioral issues, covered thoroughly and concisely. I worked my way through this over the course of a year, reading one or two strategies at a time. The book's structure lends itself to reading this way, which I appreciated!
Hanna
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly helpful book. I've already used several of the strategies with the children I nanny--to great effect.
Becki
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty basic information if you’ve read parenting books in the past. But the author says that’s what this is, just all compiled into one resource.
I felt the examples given were mostly practical.
Lisanne Cozart
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
I could sum this up as DUH!! This book is filled with a whole lot of common sense, but much of our culture is seeming to lack this.
Mandy
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve been slowly reading this over a year. 75 short chapters with clear, researched parenting strategies. A good resource. But my heart still belongs to 1-2-3 Magic.
Ken
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book on parenting with actionable tips. Very easy to read and understand.
Mary Melone
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Packed with simple and concise tips that parents can start applying right away. There are relevant and helpful examples for each tip. Great book!
Derek Thue
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good layout in quick read. Using all of the tips is ideal but even if you can use four or five in combination it will be better off with your kids no matter what age they are
Nikki Gomez
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Short and with lots of strategies that you can immediately implement.
Kimberly Mccune
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting, 2017
The short, concise chapters make this a great resource for any parent. Some of the ideas became repetitive but I think that is part of the nature of how the book is structured.
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Giving this one four stars mostly because the principles are sound, not that there's anything especially new for me here. Good examples, though, and I liked the concise format.
Helen Hanna
It was really only from chapter 55 onward that I gained the most insight and practical tips that I think I can implement.
Anita Fajita Pita
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: educate-myshelf, 2018
Okay, this is a great tool to have in your parenting toolbox. I've already tried, suceeded, and failed, to implement a few of her 'try this' tactics. It's not a catch all for every family, of course. I think although she includes many caviats for younger/older children, this would be better served on a new parent who hasn't yet built up years of frustration and failed parenting tactics. ha.

I'd also like to point out that much of parenting, and the author says so in many more words and spread ou
Summer
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, parenting
Some solid tips in here and I really appreciated the brevity, but I struggled with the format. It required a fair amount of flipping back and forth to read related strategies. Also, why is it that none of these books address what to do when your kid doesn't respond to any of the supposedly fool-proof strategies? (I know the answer to that one, but still..... one can dream).
Heather
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
This book had some good tips. Most of it was review at this point for me, but they were good reminders. This would be a good book for a parent of younger kids. The format was a little redundant.
Whitney
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it
As a first time parent, I found this book instructive and affirming. I appreciate the author's focus on modeling empathy for our kids and the notion that parenting is a skill that can be honed with practice. That being said, the content is not presented in a particularly user friendly manner. The book is laid out as a series of 75 strategies that great parents employ. The concept behind each strategy is succinctly explained, followed by examples of how to implement the strategy.

I found that man
Philip Harris
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Pretty decent read with some good things to say, though a bit exhausting mentally to read point after point of things you could supposedly be doing better. Definitely part of the parenting lit trend that preaches psycho-analyzing every damn thing you or your kids ever do or say. Ok for some, but others have these things called "jobs" and can't spend 45 minutes every morning practicing empathy, staging rehearsals, and trying to truly understand the depths of why my child is so screaming that i op ...more
Georges Saab
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found this book really useful. It is the kind of book you read and then reflect, and try out bits of almost immediately. The way that it is organized is very helpful, each tip is short and stands alone, though often referring to other tips in a way that holds together nicely. I really recommend this not only for parents, but for anyone who wants to think about how they relate to and communicate with others -- many of the points made are universal.
Lisa
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I found this book to be helpful and give me some food for thought regarding parenting my children and being a better parent. I however thought there should have been more examples. The author also kept referring back to other numbers in the book which I found distracting.
Anne
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
This title was a challenge to listen to as there are many numbered cross references between the strategies requiring some visualization on my part. But the strategies themselves are an interesting mix of evidenced based practical ideas to use every day.
RC
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love that this book summarizes parenting best practices in a really concise way and also gives specific examples of how to use them in your family. I recommend this book to anyone with kids in their lives. It's a game changer.
Cynthia Turner
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good information and ideas on raising kids. Wish I had this insight when my children were small. I will pass this on to my grown children in hope that this can help and benefit their children.

• Age of Opportunity: Lessons from the New Science of Adolescence
  • The Gentle Discipline Book: How to raise co-operative, polite and helpful children
  • Growing Up Mindful: Essential Practices to Help Children, Teens, and Families Find Balance, Calm, and Resilience
  • The Soul of Discipline: The Simplicity Parenting Approach to Warm, Firm, and Calm Guidance- From Toddlers to Teens
  • Different Learners: Identifying, Preventing, and Treating Your Child's Learning Problems
  • The Mommy Group: Freaking Out, Finding Friends, and Surviving the Happiest Time of Our Lives
  • Her Next Chapter: How Mother-Daughter Book Clubs Can Help Girls Navigate Malicious Media, Risky Relationships, Girl Gossip, and So Much More
  • Brave Girls: Raising Young Women with Passion and Purpose to Become Powerful Leaders
  • The Garden Classroom: Hands-On Activities in Math, Science, Literacy, and Art
  • Discipline that Connects with Your Child's Heart
  • Make Your Kid A Money Genius (Even If You're Not): A Parents' Guide for Kids 3 to 23
  • Slow Family Living: 75 Simple Ways to Slow Down, Connect, and Create More Joy
  • Ain't Misbehavin': Tactics for Tantrums, Meltdowns, Bedtime Blues and Other Perfectly Normal Kid Behaviors
  • Do Parents Matter?: Why Japanese Babies Sleep Soundly, Mexican Siblings Don’t Fight, and American Families Should Just Relax
  • You'd Be So Pretty If . . .: Teaching Our Daughters to Love Their Bodies--Even When We Don't Love Our Own
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • The Myth of the Perfect Girl: Helping Our Daughters Find Authentic Success and Happiness in School and Life
  • The Happy Kid Handbook: How to Raise Joyful Children in a Stressful World