Start by marking “Brooklyn Antediluvian: Poems” as Want to Read:
Brooklyn Antediluvian: Poems

Brooklyn Antediluvian: Poems

Rosal finds trouble he isn’t asking for in his unforgettable new poems, whether in New York City, Austin, Texas, or the colonized Philippines of his ancestors. But trouble is everywhere, and Rosal, acclaimed author of My American Kundiman, responds in kind, pulling no punches in his most visceral, physical collection to date. “My hand’s quick trip from my hip to your chin, ...more
Published May 3rd 2016 by Persea (first published May 2nd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Brooklyn Antediluvian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brooklyn Antediluvian

John Taylor
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This book turned me inside out. It's masterful. It's fun. It's heartbreaking and careful and tender and unapologetic. I recently saw Rosal read. I'll remember it as one of the most captivating readings I've ever been to. Highly recommend this book.
julieta
Patrick Rosal is a American Philippine, and I am pretty surprised fe is not to be found in GR. There are many elements to his poetry, but I think my favorite parts have to do with the complexity of being a minority, and also the wonderful richness of your own culture. I love Ode to the Machete, that poem is how I got to know about him (thanks to the wonderful ModPo), and Lone Star Kundiman is pretty great. He is fierce, bus also speaks of empathy, the mystery of life, of rituals. Love this book.
Juan
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've always enjoyed poetry but I've also always been intimidated by it. As a result of that fear, I don't venture into reading much of it. Rosal's collection of verse here, however, might soon change that. Saving the best for last, Rosal's titular poem, Brooklyn Antediluvian, is a treat for the senses. Tugging at my intellectual and emotional heartstrings, as a fellow Filipino-American writer, Brooklyn Antediluvian (the poem) resonated with me with regards to finding an identity as a 'third cult ...more
Alane
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Remarkable. I was disappointed that he was only on a panel at The National Book Festival. I am disappointed that there are only 48 ratings of this great book. I am disappointed that I had only read one of his poems before this weekend.

So far I have recommended a poem to my father, my husband, my son, and I have a few ready for my grief groups. All different poems from this book.
Anna
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, its rhythms, its passion, its pain, its beauty. What a great poetry collection to end 2016 with. This also marks the second New Year's Eve I spent reading a book by a Filipino/Filipino-American writer. Guess this should become a tradition!

Yaddyra Peralta
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best book of poetry I’ve read in a while. The title poem is a tour de force that leaps across time and space, from Brooklyn, to the Philippines, from the act of imagination to an exploration of colonialism and manhood. Rosal is a Master Poet.
Michalina
Amazing.
Randy
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Rosal continues to be one of my favorite living poets.
Tricia
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this collection. i'm going to have to buy myself a copy eventually.
Courtney Tala