Start by marking “The Woman in Cabin 10” as Want to Read:
The Woman in Cabin 10

The Woman in Cabin 10

3.70  ·  Rating details ·  366,519 ratings  ·  28,844 reviews
This was meant to be the perfect trip.

The Northern Lights. A luxury press launch on a boutique cruise ship.

A chance for travel journalist Lo Blackwood to recover from a traumatic break-in that has left her on the verge of collapse, and to work out what she wants from her relationship.

Except things don’t go as planned.

Woken in the night by screams, Lo rushes to her window t
Published June 30th 2016 by Harvill Secker

To ask other readers questions about The Woman in Cabin 10, please sign up.
Michele Is it just me or did anyone else find the main character in this book totally unlikable? It seems to me she is rude to almost everyone in the book, in…moreIs it just me or did anyone else find the main character in this book totally unlikable? It seems to me she is rude to almost everyone in the book, including the man who loves her-who happens to be the only likable character in the whole book. I just have a hard time caring about a book when the main character is rude and uncaring about everyone but herself. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Joe G
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  366,519 ratings  ·  28,844 reviews

Start your review of The Woman in Cabin 10
Meh. I enjoyed Ruth Ware's debut a lot more than this one. I found I was expected to suspend my disbelief even more in The Woman in Cabin 10 and I wasn't having any of it. It also felt like a not as good carbon copy of The Girl on the Train. Usually even with all the similarities of thrillers these days, I can find enough originality in the story to feel the author didn't *try* to follow the same formula. That didn't exactly happen here. It felt like the author just replaced a few facts with s ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
Miranda Reads
"There’s a reason why we keep thoughts inside our heads for the most part—they’re not safe to be let out in public."
Laura "Lo" Blacklock just won the career lottery - her pregnant boss can no longer attend the Aurora cruise. Instead, her boss sends Lo as the magazine's representative to the maiden voyage.
“For a travel journalist I’m worryingly bad at geography.”
The ship is full of rich socialites, intrepid reporters and world-renowned rich folks - the perfect people to wine &
megs_bookrack
My initial reaction upon finishing The Woman in Cabin 10 can best be summed up as follows:

I read it. I'm not mad about it.

It was good, though not a new favorite; final thought:

Meh.

((all the shrugs))

Admittedly, there is something very addictive about Ware's writing. For me, the second half of this novel was much stronger than the first. I wasn't really invested in the story at all until the reveal.

The reveal itself, as well as the events leading up to the final conclusion, were more compelling
Will M.
The Woman in Cabin 10 promised an intense read, but all I felt after reading this was intense anger. Anger because I expected so much more than what the author promised. The premise is typical of a thriller novel, it depicts a rollercoaster ride. This novel unfortunately is a huge disappointment for me. So much time wasted.

I listened to this book because I had other books I was already reading, and I need to listen to a book while driving. The narrator didn't have the most pleasing voice, but sh
Diane S ☔
Deep sixing this one. Read only 14% so not rating it. Not feeling it and to be honest the dialogue just seems corny.
Elle (ellexamines)
I just realized I don't hate myself and therefore will not be completing this. if you look up the word mediocre in the dictionary it’s just a photo of this book. maybe a photo of the opening page because the cover is the only thing about this that isn’t shit

Listen, this is just about the most generic thriller ever written. Let’s talk about all the shitty ass ways this book copies The Girl on the Train, a 2015 novel that I have an immense distaste for. They have the exact same plot. Lead observes
Rachael
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I smacked my head on a low hanging light fitting earlier so am particularly grumpy, but here's what irked me about this book:

Whining protagonist, too anxious (and irritating) to function.
Plot holes bigger than the Grand Canyon.
Every character unlikable.
Glossed over sexual assault.
Took Forever to get going.
That ENDING, I hurt my eyes rolling them so hard.

Guess what Lo Blacklock? I wouldn't have believed you either.

The end.
Linda
I received a copy of The Woman in Cabin 10 from NetGalley for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Gallery Scout Press, and Ruth Ware for the opportunity. This book will be published in July, 2016.

You know the feeling.....poised for sound and vigilant for any hint of the slightest evidence of movement. You are alone. At least that is what your mind tells you.

Lo Blacklock has barely an eye open after a night of some serious throwing 'em back drinking. But there are sounds coming from the out
Norma
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that was a much better read for me than the author's first book, IN A DARK, DARK WOOD as it was slow-moving for me and just didn't maintain my interest. This one though was fast-paced and had me entertained and engaged right from the very first chapter.

THE WOMAN IN CABIN 10 by RUTH WARE was a chilling and suspenseful thriller with the perfect setting for a mystery on a small luxurious cruise liner with only 10 cabins set to sail from London to Norway. I was really intrigued with the setting
Deanna
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

This is my first book by Ruth Ware. I have always wanted to take a luxury cruise and so the plot of this book intrigued me.

I was actually going to read Dark Dark Wood prior to reading this novel. However, since I won a copy of this book from a Goodreads Giveaway, so I figured I could always go back and read Dark Dark Wood some other time.

Journalist, Laura (Lo) Blacklock is a writer for a travel magazine. Lo suffers
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I just knew I was going to love this book because I love the cover. I know, that almost never happens =) Then I thought this was just going to be a lets all get drunk at all times and then say stupid things and yell at boyfriend and get drunk some more and see a body on a ship, the end, goodbye. Well, it was kinda like that. What is it with everyone having to be drunk all of the time in these books?

When I first started the book last night, I couldn't put it down. I wanted to get to the ship and
Lala BooksandLala
This started out so strong, it was well paced and suspenseful... then it took a turn and got seriously weird and ridiculous.
Melissa
If I’m being totally honest, I didn’t go into this book with the highest of expectations. In fact, I’m not even sure what made me request an advanced copy. It’s no secret, I wasn’t a huge fan of In a Dark, Dark Wood. Unlike a lot of other readers, I found it to be kind of slow and predictable. This one on the other hand - it totally worked for me.

A cruise ship in the middle of the ocean turned out to be the perfect setting for a chilling tale. I could feel the ebb and flow of the nausea inducing
Susanne  Strong
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
4 Stars.
Very Suspenseful!

Lo Blacklock is a travel journalist who is invited to go aboard the Aurora Borealis to do a story on the new ship for her magazine. Lo thinks a week away on a luxury cruise liner sounds like a dream come true. After all, her apartment was just burgled and since she’s been anxious about it, she’s had trouble sleeping ever since.

As she’s getting ready for her first formal dinner, Lo realizes that she forgot mascara, thus she knocks on the door of Cabin 10 next door to bo
Matthew
As soon as I started reading this and posting statuses, I got several replies about how much people did not like this book. I cannot remember getting that much negative feedback about a book on my progress statuses. So, I figured I would either be joining the world in slamming this book, or I would be trying to make my case about how everyone was wrong.

Well, I am kinda in the middle.

I didn’t hate the book, but it didn’t blow me away. It feels like it was intentionally written to fit in with the
Emma Giordano
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't decide between 3.5 stars and 4 stars, but I enjoyed this read! I struggled with it a bit, but I enjoyed the ending overall.

TW: home invasion, anxiety (panic attacks), substance abuse, lowkey sexual assault

I feel as if this is one of those books that I don't have much to say on. I wasn't the biggest fan of the writing and the beginning was slightly boring, but the ending of the story was thrilling and very clever in my opinion.

I was surprised to find a very positive portray of medication
Sandra
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lo Blacklock, a journalist who works for a travel magazine, is given an assignment to go aboard the small but stunning luxury cruise ship "The Aurora" for a week. But one night Lo is woken by a noise and she thinks the woman in the next cabin (Cabin 10) was thrown overboard. When she tells the fellow passengers and crew they don't really believe her. According to their records no one was staying in the cabin next to Lo's. What really happened to the woman who was in the next cabin? Lo does some ...more
Sam Quixote
Laura Blacklock is a travel journalist given a career-boosting opportunity to cover the maiden voyage of a luxury cruise liner headed to see the Northern Lights. On her first night there she meets a mysterious woman in the cabin next to hers, cabin 10, and then later hears a scream and the sounds of a body being dumped into the sea, seeing what she thinks is blood on the neighbouring railing. Except the cabin is empty and no-one on the ship matches the woman’s description. A heavy drinker and us ...more
RedemptionDenied
I started this - weeks ago, and finally got back to it - in the early hours of Sunday morning. I like Blacklock (main character) - she's funny. Or am I reading it wrong? Whatever. I never did guess as to what was going on. I flirted with theories all-over-the-place and I wasn't even close. I thought I had it sussed, at one point - but nope. Not even close, as much as I hate to admit it.

A travel writer gets the opportunity to join other journalists, photographers and influential people on the ma
Carol
3.5 Stars

Light, fast and fun, this crime-mystery is like reading a cross between Agatha Christie and Janet Evanovich.

The trouble begins at home with a whack in the face, and quickly moves to a small luxurious cruise liner. When disaster happens to THE WOMAN IN CABIN 10, journalist Laura (Lo) Blacklock witnesses it, but unfortunately does not stay silent, (no spoiler here) and her life aboard the Aurora evolves into a complicated series of mishaps.

Between panic attacks from not taking her meds an

KAS
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My reading resolution for 2019 was to add psychological thrillers/mysteries into the mix of what is typically romance, as well as audibles. So I ‘killed two birds with one stone’ and listened to this suspense. It was also my first read by this author.

A quarter of the way through, I was not impressed. It started off quite slow and was bored with the main character, Lauren, aka “Lo,” who continuously bemoaned how tired and hungover she was while downing yet another drink.

Thankfully the crux of th
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
4 stars! What an intense, suspenseful book - I really enjoyed this! The author, Ruth Ware, does a fantastic job of creating an extremely vivid atmosphere - I felt like I was a passenger on the cruise ship observing the story unfold. I had a hard time putting this book down as the suspense starting building from chapter one and didn't stop until the very last page of the book. And I just loved that ending!

At first I wasn't sure how I felt about the main character, Lo, as she seemed secretive and
Diana • Book of Secrets
Whoa! This book was a wild ride. It's going to take a while for me to calm down, lol. THE WOMAN IN CABIN 10 is Ruth Ware's second thriller, and I enjoyed this one even more than her debut, IN A DARK, DARK WOOD.

Travel reporter Lo Blacklock is given an amazing assignment, a week-long cruise aboard an exclusive luxury ship. Only ten cabins, so you know the small group of guests will be pampered as they sail from England to Norway. The excursion is lovely at first, but Lo's fun comes to an end when
Kaceey
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my third book by Ruth Ware and so far, it’s my favorite!

Lo Blacklock has a work assignment on board a luxury liner in the fjords. A beautifully appointed small ship christened the Aurora, designed specifically for catering to the whims of the rich and famous.
You ask...why is Lo tagging along for this cozy cruise? Glad you asked! She happens to write about travel for a magazine, and when her boss couldn’t make the trip Lo generously and rather quickly volunteers!

But right now things are
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Woman in Cabin 10, Ruth Ware

In this tightly wound, enthralling story reminiscent of Agatha Christie’s works, Lo Blacklock, a journalist who writes for a travel magazine, has just been given the assignment of a lifetime: a week on a luxury cruise with only a handful of cabins. The sky is clear, the waters calm, and the veneered, select guests jovial as the exclusive cruise ship, the Aurora, begins her voyage in the picturesque North Sea.

تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز بیست و چهارم ماه آگوست سال 2018
Trina (Between Chapters)
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Trina (Between Chapters) by: Rebecca (whymermaids)
The bad
It's a real pity that the author used so many awful descriptions of weight and illness. It's not exactly shaming, but the language serves to dehumanize people who are fat, very thin, or ill.

-One character is described as "wearing jewelry weighing more than she did," (p. 58) and we're constantly reminded of all her jutting, sharp features.
-Describing fat characters as being "the size of a walrus" (p. 58, 178) happens more than once. We're frequently reminded at how easily one overweigh
♡ Kim ♡
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, i-own, giveaway-wins
So... I was really looking forward to this one, as I loved In a Dark, Dark Wood. I devoured that one in a single sitting. I have to say, lately, it seems like the books that I really look forward to have been letting me down, but luckily, not this one - I loved it! I had to force myself to take breaks, so I could also enjoy my family over the holiday weekend. Meanwhile, even without the book in hand, it remained in my head - kept me guessing - even had me trying to play a game of guess whodunit ...more
Carrie
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware is a thriller set aboard a luxury cruise ship. Being one that loves cruising this has been on my list to read since I first heard about the book for two reasons, one I've heard great things about the writer and two I can't help but be drawn to a story set at sea.

The main character in the story, Lo Blacklock, is at home alone when someone breaks into her apartment leaving her in fear that it could happen again or that they will return. Lo is offered the chance
Phrynne
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The big question is how do you rate a book like this? To be absolutely honest I ploughed through the first half thinking how poor the dialogue was, how irritating the MC was and pretty much why am I bothering with this book. And then suddenly it became tense and exciting and the MC got her act together (more or less) and then the ending was brilliant!!! The last bit (view spoiler) loved it:)
So how do you rate a book which is basically only adequate but which ha
Play Book Tag: The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware 4 stars 4 21 Jun 10, 2020 11:18AM
question about burglary 6 171 May 25, 2020 09:53PM
Bibliophile's Bunker: The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware - Read Along - May 2020 2 8 Apr 27, 2020 08:33AM

• The Couple Next Door
  • The Zombie Room
  • You (You, #1)
  • The Elephant Tree
  • The Guest List
Ruth Ware grew up in Sussex, on the south coast of England. After graduating from Manchester University she moved to Paris, before settling in North London. She has worked as a waitress, a bookseller, a teacher of English as a foreign language and a press officer. She is married with two small children, and In a Dark, Dark Wood is her début thriller.

Find her on twitter at www.twitter.com/ruthwarew

Articles featuring this book

“My friend Erin says we all have demons inside us, voices that whisper we're no good, that if we don't make this promotion or ace that exam we'll reveal to the world exactly what kind of worthless sacks of skin and sinew we really are Maybe that's true. Maybe mine just have louder voices.” 51 likes
“Maybe that was closer to the truth--we weren't captor and captive, but two animals in different compartments of the same cage. Hers was just slightly larger.” 17 likes