Start by marking “Baby Doll” as Want to Read:
Baby Doll

Baby Doll

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  9,229 ratings  ·  1,465 reviews
You've been held captive in one room, mentally and physically abused every day, since you were sixteen years old.

Then, one night, you realize your captor has left the door to your cell unlocked.

For the first time in eight years, you're free.

This is about what happens next ...

Lily knows that she must bring the man who nearly ruined her life - her good-looking high-school te
Published June 30th 2016 by Century

To ask other readers questions about Baby Doll, please sign up.
Suzanne Peterson No. It is far more similar to 'Room' than to either of the books the publisher tries to compare it to ('The Girl on the Train' and 'Gone Girl',…moreNo. It is far more similar to 'Room' than to either of the books the publisher tries to compare it to ('The Girl on the Train' and 'Gone Girl', neither of which is anything like 'Baby Doll'), but it's not nearly as realistic, suspenseful, or interesting. Way more about family drama than the psychological effects on a young woman held captive for nearly a decade, and on the child born of rape. The girl could have just come home from college to the same scenarios that are presented here, for all the impact the kidnapping has on the story.
(less)
Suzanne Peterson Mature teens. There are references to kidnapping and rape, but nothing graphic. It felt much more like a YA novel than adult fare to me.

·  9,229 ratings  ·  1,465 reviews

Sasha Alsberg
3.5 stars.
I FINALLY FINISHED A BOOK AFTER BEING IN THE WORST READING SLUMP EVER! Review on my channel coming soon!
Melissa
I don’t know why I haven’t learned my lesson about reading books that claim to be the next Gone Girl or The Girl on the Train. Why do I keep doing this to myself? I only end up disappointed.

I have to wonder if the person that wrote the blurb for this book has even read either of those books. I would have to say not, because there is no comparison. Aside from the first few chapters, there is nothing surprising about this plot. There is no shocking revelation or exceptional plot twist that makes t
Chelsea Humphrey
Find all my reviews on my blog at: https://thesuspenseisthrillingme.com

Date Read: 07/18/16
Pub Date: 07/12/16

3 STARS

“For fans of Gone Girl and Girl on the Train, Baby Doll is the most tense thriller you will read this year.

This is what happens next…

…to her twin sister, to her mother, to her da
Arah-Lynda
As the story opens Lily and her daughter Sky are being held captive in the basement of a cabin set deep in the woods.  Their captor has, for the first time in eight long years, neglected to lock the door.  Ever apprehensive that this may be just another, in a long list of tests that Rick, her captor, has set for her, Lily gathers up Sky and takes her first shaky step toward freedom.

Soaked in fear and swimming in adrenaline, once Lily is able to get her bearings she realizes that she has been clo
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Update: 10-23-16. Kindle book $2.99. Not sure for how long.

***MILD SPOILERS***

--->EXCERPT<---

A dead bolt has a very specific sound. Lily was an expert at recognizing certain sounds--the creak of the floorboards signaling his arrival, the mice scurrying across the concrete in search for food. But Lily always braced herself for the sound of the dead bolt, listening as metal scraped against the metal. The lock as beginning to rust, so it always took him several tries. But inevitably, she wo
Maureen
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
*Thank you to Netgalley and Random House UK, Cornerstone for my ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review*

Oddly enough, this book begins AFTER the main event is over and done with - that event being Lily's abduction some eight years earlier. Although we don't have in-depth details of her time in captivity, we know that she has been both physically, and mentally abused during that time, and has also given birth to her daughter Sky, who was fathered by her captor.

The opening chapter is where we
Emma
May 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Good idea, failed execution.

The book felt like one of those Lifetime dramas, all overwrought and ridiculous. The multitude of voices felt rushed and superficial, not one character behaved in a realistic fashion, everyone seemed most concerned about their love lives, the whole thing was drawn out too long.

If anything, it was rather pointless. The strapline said the escape being just the beginning. Yeah, it is. The he's arrested. Then another thing (spoiler-but not really because you can see it co
Jan
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, mystery

So this is how the book was described:
For fans of Gone Girl and Girl on the Train, BABY DOLL is the most tense thriller you will read this year.

Sounds like a winner, right?
WRONG!!

This was not a thriller, let alone tense. It doesn't have any correlation to Gone Girl or Girl on The Train in any way shape or form.

This is a the author's first book, and you can read the signs throughout.
Underdeveloped characters, sophomoric writing style, and pointless story lines just made this a mess for
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Baby Doll had so much promise and I was really excited to start reading it. The synopsis made it sounds fabulous. I quickly felt that the book was not giving me the buzz factor that a book in this genre should.

A young woman has been held captive, tortured, raped and beaten against her will by a man she should have been able to trust. Locked away for years one day she realises she can run for her freedom...and she does.

The story then concentrates on how things are with her integrating back with h
Paromjit
Lily has been held captive for eight years. She has been raped, beaten and mentally abused. She has a daughter, Sky, fathered by her abductor. Then one day to her astonishment, she finds the door unlocked. Still fearful, Lily and her daughter escape the ghastly basement in which they have been imprisoned. You might think that from this point that Lily's life would get so much better. Not so, there is further turmoil awaiting her.

On returning to her family home, Lily finds things have changed qui
abby
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This is the thriller after the thriller. Most books end with the hostage escaping her torturer's clutches, but that's where this one starts. This is about what happens when a victim returns home to people who have changed in her absence and how they adjust to how she's changed. This is what happens after the prayers are answered: bring my daughter/sister/friend home. Because it's never just as simple as coming home.

Lily spent eight years trapped in a basement by a sadistic pedophile. The only th
Miriam Smith
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: twitter
I have desperately been wanting to read Baby Doll since it came out last year and was over the moon to win a copy on Twitter this week .....until I started to read the reviews! I was very disappointed to read that so many people didn't enjoy it. So the only way to find out for myself was to read it straight away. I know now where most people are coming from. I too would have liked to read more about Lily's time in captivity (being the dark and twisted person I am) especially when she refers to t ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
My review of Baby Doll is now up on Fresh Fiction!

To say that I was blown away by this book is an understatement! I was hooked from the first page and I could hardly put down the book. You can read the whole review here!
Malia
BABY DOLL is sold as something which would appeal to fans of Paula Hawkins and Gillian Flynn (a tag that seems to be stamped on all new psychological thrillers these days...). In any case, I was expected, if nothing else, to be gripped by a creepily engaging story. Unfortunately, this feeling vacillated quite a bit. The book is told in various POVs and certain ones are definitely more interesting than others, leading me to lose interest in chunks of the book, while it picked up for others. Also, ...more
sue

Hollie Overton is a really natural author, her books seem to flow and grasp me in.

This book Baby Doll was no exception.

We have a young girl who was kidnapped by this man. We later get to know how this came about and who by.
To imagine being kept in one room and being used for all purpose like a "baby Doll" by this man is unthinkable.
But this is what she had to endure.

Its an intense read at times, sometimes mellows out in its telling of it, but it allowed me to get more breath until it gathered
Carrie
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Lily has been held captive for the past eight years but now her captor has made a mistake and Lily is able to get free. While she was in captivity she had a daughter who is now six and Lily wants nothing more than to keep her daughter safe and return home to her family.

Showing up after eight years of being missing it's not easy for Lily or her family to deal with the aftermath of the kidnapping. This is the story of what happens once Lily returns home to find her twin sister is now with Lily's
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
Overall, I was disappointed.

'Held captive for eight years, Lily has grown from a teenager to an adult in a small basement prison. Her daughter Sky has been a captive her whole life. But one day their captor leaves the deadbolt unlocked.

This is what happens next...

...to her twin sister, to her mother, to her daughter...and to her captor.'

It was all there; the plot sounded great, it held so much promise. But the treatment the plot received was superficial. Not at any point did I feel connected
Zuky the BookBum
Firstly I’d like to thank Netgalley and Random House UK, Cornerstone for the opportunity to read this book.

”BABY DOLL is the most tense thriller you will read this year.” … no it isn’t.

I was looking forward to giving this a read, it sounded like an exciting thriller; woman escapes from her captor and now she’s trying to rebuild her life and future. But it doesn’t really start out that way… everything kind of falls into place for Lily in the first few pages and so you think, is this go
Frank Phillips
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going into this book I saw reviews stating anything from a 'disappointing read,' to this being 'just like gone girl,' so I did not know what to expect. The synopsis on the back of the book was enough to peak my interest so I decided to go for it. And boy am I glad that I did! I have not read the book 'Room,' but I have seen the movie, and I can only imagine that this book is inspired by that story or vice versa because they were eerily similar. With that being said I loved both stories and reall ...more
ambsreads
Baby Doll was a pretty fast read. However, it was also incredibly bland. The first few chapters instantly grabbed my attention. Then, the story fizzled out. It got predictable and, overall, not that enjoyable. I was rolling my eyes and cringing the characters dialogue.

This book felt like it was trying too hard. It could have been much better. I'm honestly not quite sure why I chose to read this as I didn't enjoy Gone Girl, a book it's compared to in the description.
Gary
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gripped me from the start and kept me hooked all along. Although it wasn't a classic and there were a few holes in the plot, I still enjoyed it.

Lily has been held captive for eight years and now she seizes an opportunity to escape with her daughter Sky. Lily was kidnapped by Rick, a local teacher who for the last eight years has abused Lily both sexually and mentally while keeping her locked up. On escaping she manages to get back home where she finds her family has carried on without
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Riveting from the first line. The story goes with a breakneck speed, making you read it in one breath. I loved the different personalities of people and how the story was put together in the chapters. Wonderful book!
Kath Middleton
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book begins when a young woman, held captive for eight years, and her daughter, fathered by her captor and abuser, manage to escape. It is bound to invite comparison with Room. I much preferred this. Lily and her daughter, Sky, escape when their captor makes a mistake and doesn't bolt the door. Happily ever after? Not likely! Lily's twin, Abby and her mother, Eve, have been so deeply affected by her disappearance that their own lives have been changed almost as much as hers.

I enjoyed the f
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
This book could have been been a lot better in my opinion. It wasn't bad and I didn't throw it across the room, it was just ok.
I know it's received different kinds of reviews, so don't be discouraged about reading it if it sounds like you would enjoy it.
The story line is good, just not realistic in places. I don't believe someone could go through what the main character did, and then take up life like she did.
It just didn't work for me.
Liz Barnsley
Had to DNF this one at 60% hence no rating- the writing is great by the way but the story did not grab me personally. I liked the original premise but for ME it was heavy on melodrama. I think this will be a stand out read for a lot of lovers of pyschological thrillers who like something a bit different. Sadly for whatever odd reason did not resonate with my reading head.
Tori (InToriLex)
Find this and other Reviews at In Tori Lex

I was concerned when I started this book because there was ALOT of exposition within the first few chapters. But the changing of perspectives in the novel and suspense sucked me in. The novel rotates between the perspective of Lily the protagonist, her twin sister Abby, Eve her mom and Rick her captor. The multiple perspectives worked well because they were mostly between the two sisters. The author did a great job of making me care and root for Lily and
*TANYA*
Entertaining enough! I wasn’t “blown away” by the story, I did like the 3 different POV’s, however. Is it a must read? Probably not. But it’s a good book if you’re having a reading slump.
Elaine
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit wary about this book when I started to read it. I didn’t read any other reviews on Goodreads, but had noticed a string of 2 stars so was a bit worried about it. I have to say though that, with some reservations, I did enjoy this fast paced story about Lily and her six year old daughter Sky. At the very start of the read Lily manages to escape from the “dungeon” in which she has been kept captive for the past 8 years and we follow her return to daily life. Whilst her family have alway ...more
Louise Wilson
3.5 stars. Lily has held captive for eight years in a small basement prison. Her daughter Sky has been held captive all her life. One day Lily & Sky get the lucky break Lily has waited for - her captor has forgot to lock the door when they left. What happens next to her twin sister, to her mother, to her daughter and to her captor......

In some instances this book is predictable. The story does get a bit flat in the middle but apart from that it is a decent read.

I would like to thank NetGalle
Rheama
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After holding a young girl captive in his cabin for eight years, The Bad Guy finally makes a mistake. He forgets to lock the door. This is the story of what happens afterward.

An unintentional comparison, the last book I read, The Visitors, is a beautifully written, gritty, and meaningful interpretation of this same subject. Baby Doll is its complete opposite, filtered through a melodramatic, soap opera style lens.

We cycle through narrators without focus or consistency. Characters faint and
YA Buddy Readers'...: Baby Doll by Hollie Overton - starting August 15th 7 27 Aug 27, 2016 01:51PM
Play Book Tag: Baby Doll by Hollie Overton - 5 stars 7 22 Jul 18, 2016 06:02AM
  • The Bridge (Brody Law, #1)
  • Hush (Lakeview, #1)
  • 365 Daily Meditations for On and Off the Mat: A Year in Hot Yoga
  • Stop, Thief!
  • Animal Planet Wild Animals (Animal Bites Series)
  • My Zombie Hamster
  • Game of Clones (The Clone Chronicles, #3)
  • Crime Rave
  • Doodle Adventures: The Search for the Slimy Space Slugs!
  • Finding Steele (North Bay Pursuits, #1)
  • Throw Away Girls
  • Claude at the Beach
  • Don't Believe a Word
  • Coco: My Delicious Life (Lotus Lane, #2)
  • Missing Monkey! (Good Crooks, #1)
  • Web of Darkness
  • Mail-Order Brides of Oak Grove: Surprise Bride for the Cowboy\Taming the Runaway Bride (Oak Grove #1-2)
  • Mother from Hell: Two Brothers, a Sadistic Mother, a Childhood Destroyed
Hollie Overton is a TV writer and producer. She has written for Shadowhunters, Cold Case, and The Client List, Hollie's debut thriller, BABY DOLL is an international bestseller and was published in eleven countries. Her 2nd novel, THE WALLS will be released Aug. 2017. An identical twin, Hollie grew up in Kingsville, Texas but now resides in LA with her husband and rescue dog Stevie.