Start by marking “Magic City” as Want to Read:
Magic City

Magic City

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Catcher in the Rye for the Fight Club generation in this PUSH Novel Contest winner, written by a teen whose name you're going to see a lot of in years to come.

Henry's suffering. He's suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder ever since a hurricane hit his house, with him alone in it. He's suffering from indecision in his relationships with girls. He's suffering because
Published February 1st 2007 by Push

To ask other readers questions about Magic City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic City

Guilherme
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Narrada em primeira pessoa através de Henry, um adolescente americando que morar em Miami, e que adquiriu TEPT, ou Doença Pós-Traumática, após tentar regatar um cachorrinho dentro de um bueiro em meio a uma tempestade/furacão, e ele está numa época super turbulenta de sua vida, pais ausentes, namorada indecisa, ele indeciso, etc

"É um negócio complicado, crescer.Você passa sua vida inteira acreditando que o mundo é de um jeitoe, então, do nada, tudo muda.Você percebe que talvez seus pais não saib
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Long Nguyen for TeensReadToo.com

PUSH Writing Intern alumnus Drew Lerman won his internship when he was a junior in high school. MAGIC CITY is a testament to Lerman's incredible writing talent at such a young age. Lerman's handle on the English language and ability to portray characters so real and tangible creates those rare moments of escapism all readers hopefully look for in a novel.

Henry is the protagonist. He's suffering. He's suffering from post-traumatic stress syndrome after
Bertrand Brasil
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Vencedor do PUSH Novel Contest quando estava no ensino médio, Drew Lerman apresenta o livro que comprova seu talento como um dos grandes autores da nova geração. Cidade Mágica, escrito com extrema habilidade e repleto de personagens incrivelmente reais, traz uma história cativante e ideal para quem procura um romance de qualidade.

Tendo sobrevivido a uma experiência traumática e agora sofrendo com o estresse que isso lhe causou, Henry Fuller está apático e inseguro sobre cada decisão que toma em
Andersreads
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
The main character, Henry, has to come to terms with his PTSD which was caused by, nevermind--spoiler alert. The book was at its best when Charlie and Henry were on one of Charlie's adventures. Charlie lives for the moment; his philosophy is that nothing matters, so do whatever you want to. Henry, who is walking around dazed and in a semi-trance because of the various meds he's taking for his PTSD, slowly begins to accept some of Charlie's philosophy. And their disagreements involve lots of disc ...more
Anna Scheunemann
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novels
I was really looking forward to reading this novel because it always inspires me when a young person gets published, but Magic City did not live up to my hopes. Basically, it is a story about an average guy being a teenager and trying to figure out what it all means. He has relationship problems with his friends and his girlfriend; Lerman also throws a Post-Traumatic stress disorder into the mix.

Yet, Lerman doesn't really delve into this one problem that could make the book unique. Instead he
Ayleen Hernandez
Aug 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
It has a very interesting plot. I feel like I would've enjoyed this book more when I was going through my "very atheist junior high" phase. In some ways, the characters were all psychotic but I think Lerman was trying to achieve that. I enjoyed some of the thoughts and quotes provided, but sometimes they were outdone. Overall, everything in the book seemed to be in the middle between bad and great. It's worth a read if you're simply bored.
David
Jan 15, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is quite fantastic but i think that the words in this is really so teen. The message I got was that to use more bad words for Example the "F***, D***,Etc." It just seems like alive thats it seems to me what this books is just about survival and that life is the main ingredient in this horrifying pain that being caused in the book.
P3reilly
Mar 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked the book, but will definitely not keep this on the shelf for my grade seven students. The language and subject matter are more appropriate for sixteen to eighteen-year-olds. That being said, I have to add that I was interested by the description of post traumatic stress disorder.
Jenna
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
I thought the plot was interesting, until I saw Fight Club a few years later and realized it was basically the same idea. Nevertheless, this book made me want to write because the author was a seventeen year old.
Bryan S.
May 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 8th-grade
I didn't really like this book and the chararter has a very mess up life. They didn't really mean alot what the cover look look likes.
Rosetta Rubino
Nov 03, 2012
Devin Mcdowell
Mar 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

“You think God created the world?" he asks me. "Bullshit. Any kind of benevolent and righteous being would never create a fucking world like this. It's impossible. God didn't fucking create the world."
Before he walks away completely, he turns back to me one final time, pointing his finger at me. Some people on the beach look over.
"Henry," he says, "the Devil created the world when God wasn't looking"
He kicks down the little kids' sand castle and goes somewhere with the girls.”
8 likes
“Are you okay?" Bill asks.
Oh, these questions. I could say:
"Yes," which would mean, "No."
"No," which would mean, "No, but I'm probably not going to tell you what's the matter anyway."
"Yeah," which would mean, "I've been better."
"I guess," which would mean, "If you press me, I will probably give you some information."
"I don't know," which would mean,
"I am breaking down, take what you want - it's all lying in piles of smoky, burning debris on the floor anyway, and I want you to take some pleasure in it. Rub it on your body, you bastard. Love it. Yes, I have post-traumatic stress disorder. Yes, my relationship with Becca is falling apart. Yes, I am spiraling downward. Yes, yes, yes, okay?
Everything is fucked up! Is that what you want to hear? Is it? Is it?"
"I don't know," I say.”