Start by marking “The Midnight Watch (Sigma Force, #10.5)” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Watch (Sigma Force, #10.5)

The Midnight Watch

(Sigma Force #10.5)

From New York Times bestselling author James Rollins comes a lightning-paced short story, in which a major attack on U.S. soil can only be stopped by…The Midnight Watch

Published November 3rd 2015 by William Morrow Impulse

To ask other readers questions about The Midnight Watch, please sign up.
Nicole It's a short story to lead into Bone Labyrinth, the next novel.

Start your review of The Midnight Watch (Sigma Force, #10.5)
Rizwan
Whoa, that was a hell of a lot of fun in such short span! This is a short story that covered just an hour from the usual work day of our favorite Sigma Force, and it didn't skip any legwork to give us the full blast of energy and entertainment in so little space.

In the sudden (midnight) hour of need, director Painter Crowe had no other agents available (such as our regular heroes Grey Pierce or Monk Kokkalis), but only the one who from the first time he appeared in the pages of Sigma series to
Orient
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller fans
The midnight watch with my beloved Sigma Force
Skip
Oct 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, e-books
Basically, a few chapters teaser for his next book. Dull. Starring Joe Kowalski, Rollins failed to provide much more than an update on his failed romance, rather than more development of his character. C'mon, rebuilding a Jeep is not much insight. Don't pay for this and don't bother.
Su Ann
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading The Midnight Watch by New York Times bestselling author James Rollins. I'm calling this one number 10 1/2 in the Sigma Force series. This short story features Seaman Joe Kowalski. Joe hasn't flown solo since "Kowalski's In Love" (2012 - Thriller: Stories to Keep You Up All Night), his Brazilian vacation that turned into a hair-raising, grisly half hour struggle for survival. He may be a big, bumbling accident waiting to happen, but he gets the job done. With Kowalski, ...more
Steven
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice little mini-Sigma with some setup for the next book. ;)
itchy
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: electronic
it looks like joe's gonna kick ass real soon.

p10: kowalski accepted the huge revolver with a grin. the rubberized grip fit his meaty palm perfectly. "a .50 caliber desert eagle."
Pierre Tassé
A VERY short story. Not sure if it was worth the money. Rollins must be trying to introduce two items (it seems) with this story. I will find out as I progress to the next book in his series.
Nancy
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally Kowalski got his own story - even if it is a very short one. Granted that I am a Rollins fan and Kowalski is one of my favorites on the Sigma team, I totally enjoyed this little story. If you know the Washington DC area, especially the Smithsonian and National Zoo, this is fun because you can easily picture what is going on. Besides Kowalski is just a big lovable lug - a very manly man who gets the job done (although he often just blows up the obstacles in his path)and takes care of his ...more
Chip Daly
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Can't wait to see where this goes with Kowalski? Nice teaser to him getting his own assignment for Sigma in the future! Nice teaser at the end for The Bone Labyrinth as well. Really looking forward to that coming out!
rebecca santiago
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great thanks to James Rollins

Always a 5 star rating for sigma..this was a definite teaser...can't wait for the bone labyrinth...preordered and anticipating another great adventure!
Garth Vader
Ugh please stop writing.
David Thacker
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My only problem is that it was too short.
Chad
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice little short story featuring Kowalski, leads into Bone Labyrinth.
Lizabeth Tucker
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
When someone hacks into the Smithsonian computer system, Sigma's chief intelligence analyst Jason Carter quickly shuts it down, but not before a hefty number of files are grabbed. Jason discovers that the target was a Smithsonian research project called "Ancient DNA" and the files belong to Dr.Sara Gutierrez. While notifying Sara of the breach, Jason realizes that she is in danger. Director Crowe sends Jason and Joe Kowalski, his only immediately available agents, to her rescue.

I love Joe, so
Elizabeth
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: james-rollins
The Midnight Watch (Sigma Force #10.5) by James Rollins
In the dead of night, a faceless enemy hacks into the Smithsonian Institution’s network of servers, but it is only the first strike masking a larger attack. To rescue a biologist trapped in the National Museum of Natural History and to discover the true intent behind an assault that grows bolder and bloodier by the minute, Sigma Force must unleash its most headstrong operative—Joe Kowalski—to do what he does best: lay waste to anything between him and his goal. From a daring rescue to a
Candace Salima
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Rollins never disappoints, except the story was entirely too short ... which is, I guess, why it's called a short story. James Rollins books always end too soon, in my opinion. I read it on the plane on my way to Washington, D.C. and it seriously was not long enough. The Midnight Watch is no different.

It's the Chinese hackers ... of course. China spend all its time hacking into American interests. But this time, they hacked into a scientists ancient DNA archive. With Sigma Force's chief
Albert
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Midnight Watch is a terrific short story of the Sigma Force that sets the groundwork for the novel The Bone Labyrinth. What makes this short story so cool and worth the read is that it doesn't include most of the normal cast of Sigma Force and instead concentrates on the often lesser used member Kowalski.

As always Rollins keeps the action and story tight and rolling along at breakneck speed.

A terrific short read!
Aaron Cochrill
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these half books, I just wished they weren't so hard to track down! This is a quick-paced action short story that really opens up the character of Kowalski. If gives us a much deeper insight to who he is and his background with Sigma. This short story like the rest, doesn't disappoint.
Kasey
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Man, do I love Kowalski. He has so much depth that we haven't even gotten to explore yet. I'm hoping this little show of his quick wits (and Painter's newfound appreciation for him) means he won't be treated as much like a joke anymore.
Louisa
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Man, awesome short story, and I can't wait to see how the questions will be answered about human intelligence, as well as who wanted the information!
Julie Carter
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much fun to have an adventure with Kowalski. I always enjoy his involvement in the missions. My only complaint is that I want Bone Labyrinth now!
Maria Rose
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sigma Force in action

This story shows us how quickly Sigma Force reacts to a threat. A cyberhacker just invaded the computer networks of the Smithsonian of which Sigma is a hidden part,and they just repulsed and blocked access. While evaluating the hack, they find that one specific individual 's computer files where targeted. They get immediately in touch with her, finding out she is nearby, but she admits to being contacted by someone else and also wants to meet with her. WhIle in conversation
Dan Smith
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
n the dead of night, a faceless enemy hacks into the Smithsonian Institution’s network of servers, but it is only the first strike masking a larger attack. To rescue a biologist trapped in the National Museum of Natural History and to discover the true intent behind an assault that grows bolder and bloodier by the minute, Sigma Force must unleash its most headstrong operative—Joe Kowalski—to do what he does best: lay waste to anything between him and his goal. From a daring rescue to a ...more
David
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Book number 10.5 in James Rollins Sigma Force series, this is really only a short story to whet the appetite (as it were) for the next book in the main series: that is,The Bone Labyrinth . And, for some reason, was reproduced (in the novel I read) at the end of that novel, rather than before it i.e. a bit back-to-front!

As such, this helps develop (somewhat) the character of Kowalski, who is one of - if not the - key character in that later novel.
Lisbet
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
I normally enjoy this series, but I also enjoy reading a story with a beginning middle and end, which this didn't have. I rated it a 2, but seriously debated giving it a 1, since if felt like the author had published this as a way to get people to pay for looking at the advertisement for his next book..

This is clearly just a precursor to the next story. We won't find out who the bad guys are or what their motive is until the next book. That makes this the first few chapters in a novel, not a
Jim
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, ebooks, fiction
This one's a short story that's 99% action of various degrees of silliness and perhaps 1% plot advancement in terms of the SIGMA series as a whole. It's a quick read, but there's nothing here that's compelling enough to make it required reading for anyone other than the complete-ists out there like myself. My main takeaway was that SIGMA's resident computer expert really needs to make locking down a computer a weeeeeeee bit more of a priority than he did in this one. On multiple occasions.
Kim
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, 2018
This was a short but really fun book! I really like Kowalski even though he doesn't always get a lot of credit. He was really good in this short book and got to play lead role for a change! A mysterious break in occurs in the Smithsonian and Kowalski has to go play hero and save a scientist from exactly where his ex-girl friend worked. This was a good ending to their romance, even if she didn't make an actual appearance in the book.
Dave Van Es
It was going so well, but then it stopped so suddenly without finishing the story (told in the next novel in the series). It was not self contained which I found disappointing.

On the bright side Kawasaki, was really really funny and did not have to revert back to his foul, and blasphemous,language tirades to get his point across.

I liked it, but it really needed 10-15 more pages to finish off the story.
3 stars
Wanda
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short story featuring one of the less prominent members of the Sigma Force team, Kowolski. The story centers on one of the computer experts at Sigma finding someone hacking into the computers. He calls the boss and they figure out what the hackers are after then realize the person who created the information the hackers want is in trouble so they send in Kowolski. Lots of action while trying to save the scientist.
The book ends with a set up for a future book.
Cecelia Donovan
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
That’s it?

So this begins and ends and that’s it. It’s not even a chapter long. It could be a great start to a book or even a short story. But it’s not a short story as there is no story. What the heck?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Around the Year i...: The Midnight Watch, by James Rollins 1 11 Sep 18, 2016 06:07PM
Play Book Tag: The Midnight Watch - James Rollins, 4 Stars 7 13 Apr 01, 2016 10:25AM

• The Devils' Due (Cotton Malone, #12.5)
  • Gone Fishing (Thriller: Stories to Keep You Up All Night)
  • The Tudor Plot (Cotton Malone, #7.5)
  • The Devil's Gold (Cotton Malone, #6.5)
  • The Admiral's Mark (Cotton Malone, #0.5)
  • The Devil's Bones: Cotton Malone vs. Gray Pierce
  • No Time Left
  • The Dig (Pike Logan #1.5)
  • The Malta Exchange (Cotton Malone, #14)
  • The Assassin (Isaac Bell, #8)
  • The Oracle (Fargo Adventure, #11)
  • Verses for the Dead (Pendergast, #18)
  • Exit Fee (Pike Logan #13.5)
  • The Bootlegger (Isaac Bell, #7)
  • Old Bones (Nora Kelly #1)
  • The Malta Escape (Payne & Jones #9)
  • The Fossil
  • The Survivors
James Rollins is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of international thrillers, translated into more than forty languages, with more than 20 million copies sold. The New York Times says, “Rollins is what you might wind up with if you tossed Michael Crichton and Dan Brown into a particle accelerator together,” and NPR calls his work “Adventurous and enormously engrossing.” Rollins unveils ...more

Sigma Force (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Sandstorm (Sigma Force, #1)
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
  • Black Order (Sigma Force, #3)
  • The Judas Strain (Sigma Force, #4)
  • The Last Oracle (Sigma Force, #5)
  • The Doomsday Key (Sigma Force, #6)
  • The Devil Colony (Sigma Force, #7)
  • Bloodline (Sigma Force, #8)
  • The Eye of God (Sigma Force, #9)
  • The 6th Extinction (Sigma Force, #10)
“trickle of superstitious dread” 0 likes