Start by marking “Natural Born Keller” as Want to Read:
Natural Born Keller

Natural Born Keller

One of Australia's favourite and most multi-talented entertainers lifts the lid on life on-screen and off with not so longing looks back at growing up in the burbs in the decade taste forgot.

By turns hilarious and moving, Amanda Keller takes us on a nostalgia filled journey through her life. From her childhood in sunny Brisbane to her daggy teen years in suburban Sydney.
Published October 21st 2015 by Allen & Unwin AU

To ask other readers questions about Natural Born Keller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Natural Born Keller

Start your review of Natural Born Keller
Veronica ⭐️
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’m a huge fan of Amanda’s and she didn’t disappoint in this tell all memoir.

Natural Born Keller is a must read for all baby boomers. I read it with a perpetual smile nodding along as I remembered funny little anecdotes from my own teenage years. It’s a trip down nostalgia lane as Amanda talks of being a teen in the 70’s and what we thought was cool back then and comparing the pop scene of the 70’s to today’s role models.

Her memoir is written in a light, easy to read manner coming across as
Robin
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as part of the Aussie Author Challenge 2016 and the Australian Women Writers Challenge 2016.

Amanda Keller, popular Australian radio and TV personality, takes us on a nostalgia filled journey through her life, from her childhood and ‘daggy’ teenage years to her varied career in TV and radio, from her first job as a reporter for Simon Townsend’s Wonderworld, to travelling the world as a reporter for Beyond 2000, being a resident panellist on Talkin’ Bout Your Generation and her
Jenny
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
I loved this. It was a light quick read.. a few tears, lots of laughs. Highly entertaining!
Francene Carroll
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The only thing I miss about living in Sydney is listening to Jonesy and Amanda on my morning commute, so it was great to catch up with Amanda again through her memoir.

The title is entirely appropriate as this book slayed me. I just love Amanda's style of humor and her total lack of pretension. She's traveled all over the world and met many famous people, but she remains so down to earth that it's impossible to hate her. I belly-laughed several times while reading this and also shed a few tears.

Rebecca
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stumbled upon this autobiography while on holidays and was interested in her ivf experience having been through my own journey. I found Keller’s memoir very readable, in parts moving and other parts laugh out loud funny.
Lorelle
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
If you are an Amanda fan, you will love this book.
I didn't read it, Amanda read it too me! It is light hearted, witty, it is just Amanda!

You will laugh, cringe and even cry.

5 stars
Sara
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, australian
I love Amanda she is amazing and this book was amazing and had some really funny stories :)
Sarah Jones
3(ish)/5? Some very funny bits
Rania T
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amanda Keller is a quirky media personality, and her autobiography was a hoot. Still have a memory of her on Beyond 2000 with her huge shoulder pads and dulcet tones; interesting times...
Kim B
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, hilarious, comical, physically laughed out loud, personal, honest, heart warming.
Annie Booker
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hysterically funny. Don't eat or drink while reading this.
Kristie
Jan 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
Such a bore. Would have gained more of a profile with a ghost write. Did not get a laugh out of it at all
Kylie Purdie
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
I heard Amanda Keller being interviewed by Richard Fidler on his ABC radio program The Conversation Hour. You can listen to it or download it here.
As often happens when I listen to Conversation Hour, I find myself walking into work and putting the book on request! So I did and a couple of weeks later, there is was, waiting for me.
I read this in a day. It's not a hard read, but it is entertaining. Keller's ability to laugh at herself translates easily to the page and it's obvious she doesn't
Mia
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own
I feel bad giving this such a low rating, because I actually think it's a decent book. It's just not my thing. I was sent a copy of Natural Born Keller from Allen & Unwin from review, and I quite enjoyed the first half of it. I'm generally not a fan of celebrity memoirs (the exceptions being those by comedians or artists), so what was most interesting for me as an Australian was reading about the Australian television industry back in the day. By the time it got into more contemporary ...more
Sam
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Written in an easy to read conversational style this book took me back through the years of Australian pop culture. A great insight into the world of popular entertainment by one of the best in the industry. As a bonus, Amanda doesn't shy away from sharing painful details of her personal life and her observations on how the media treat women and the personal lives of anyone deemed "of interest" coupled with the snippets of how our fledgling TV & breakfast radio industry became what they are ...more
Monica
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was hilarious and I loved it! I'm a big fan of Amanda and Jonesy in the Morning and a big part of that is Amanda's sense of humour and witty remarks.

I enjoyed reading all about Amanda's life, especially the weird adventures she's had on TV and in radio. I laughed out loud at a number of points in the book. It's written in a conversational style and you get the feeling Amanda's telling you her story in person.

I'd definitely recommend the book to anyone who enjoys a good laugh.
Louise
Jul 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Not a bad holiday read - lighthearted and fluffy which perhaps matches my assessment of her tv/radio persona. A few insights into her personal life but mainly focuses on her career and what has thankfully been a pretty good life (albeit with some pretty difficult times in trying to have a child). Started reading Magda Szubanski's memoir straight afterwards and Magda's has so much more personal insights and provides a fascinating portrait into her life. The two don't really compare.
Elise McCune
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amanda’s memoir is an easy read and the perfect book to read if you want something that is uplifting and honest. Amanda’s life in television and radio, as a teenager in the seventies, and her ability to relate to people are highlighted.I have never met Amanda in person but feel I know her through reading her memoir. Her memoir is full of love and laughter. It’s a five star book.
Miranda Douglas
Bit of fun

I really enjoy Amanda on television and feel she's witty, smart and sassy. While her stories are interesting and heartfelt the actual writing falls a little short with this book. I wonder if it was written quite quickly? Anyway it's another one I feel is in need of a few more trips to the editor's desk.
Amanda Meggs
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographical
I loved Amanda Keller's autobiography. It was exactly like listening to Amanda speak herself, so many of her childhood memories awoke a chime in me from my own childhood. I laughed aloud, spluttered and almost spat out my coffee at one point, I also shed a tear or two in sympathy for her traumatic moments. Highly recommended, even if you're not a fan like me.
Sharon
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-this-one
Hilarious and brilliant read, I totally recommend this book for a really great laugh and entertaining read.
This book just confirms that the person I have seen on tv and on the radio is completely genuine and as brilliant as I thought she was. Love this book!!!
Bec74
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
A few laugh out loud moments, but also a lot about the various tv/radio shows she's worked on and various 'famous' people she's known or met. Seems to assume you're a fan, whereas I just picked it up in hopes of a funny read. Ok.
Janetmanley
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it
It's just nice spending time listening to amanda chatter
Peter Langston
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: autobiography
I was disappointed with the book after hearing Keller interviewed.
Jacqui Burrell
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
A nice easy read, funny in places but a little rushed at the end.
Frances Nielsen
Very enjoyable! I especially liked her closing chapter on "Happiness".
Erin Williams
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Funny and delightful like Amanda. Not many surprises as many of the stories had been told in interviews.
Mel O'brien
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. It had me laughing out loud on the train with every page. Loved it and love Amanda Keller.
Inez
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australian
Very entertaining read - some parts you can't help but laugh out very loud!
It reminded me of reading Bridget Jones.
Justine Puls-welsh
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very easy read. Entertaining and interesting.

• The Happiest Refugee
  • The Weekend
  • All That Happened At Number 26
  • If You Don't Laugh You'll Cry: Life and love from either side of the TV screen
  • North Korea Journal
  • Challenge Accepted!
  • Any Ordinary Day: Blindsides, Resilience and What Happens After the Worst Day of Your Life
  • Bridge Burning and Other Hobbies
  • The Mystery of a Hansom Cab
  • Ellen A Woman Of Spirit
  • Macquarie
  • Casper the Commuting Cat: The True Story of the Cat who Rode the Bus and Stole our Hearts
  • Last Woman Hanged
  • Lachlan Macquarie
  • Good Wives
  • The Arsonist: A Mind on Fire
  • Light As A Feather
  • 21 Years Gone: The Autobiography
Amanda Keller is a much loved Australian personality who has been on our screens and air-waves for over 30 years. She spent her early years in Queensland and Western Australia before moving to suburban Sydney with her family. She studied communications at Mitchell College, where she became friends with Andrew Denton. She got a job straight out of university at Simon Townsend's Wonder World! before ...more