Start by marking “Market Street Cinema” as Want to Read:

Market Street Cinema

Straight A’s and skilled test taking in high school did little to prepare Lita for the rigors and reality of college life. Six weeks in, and she knew she was out. Unfortunately, her parents had other ideas and offered her an ultimatum…go back to college or move out.

Forced onto a fast-track to adulthood and independence, Lita has no choice but to accept and adapt to her
Published August 7th 2016 by Mint Minx Press

To ask other readers questions about Market Street Cinema, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Market Street Cinema

Start your review of Market Street Cinema
PattyMacDotComma
3.5
This was a bit of a surprise. I was braced for a sleazy tale of a good girl gone bad and thought it might be full of cringe-worthy explicit sex, but I was wrong. I didn't realise there is historical significance to it, too.

Lita is a nice girl who’s decided to drop out of college and work in retail selling lingerie for a while, so her dad says, Fine, but you’re on your own. Find a place to live, do your own cooking and washing, and let us know when you want to go back to school.

As luck would
Please Pass the Books
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Classified as new adult, I initially mistook Market Street Cinema as erotica and very nearly passed on it. While it deals with adult situations and definitely contains highly adult content, it is not page after page of gratuitous sex. What is shown to the reader is a no-holds barred peek into the life of a young, casual sex worker (not a prostitute, but a true to life stripper). She comes in the form of 19-year old Lita, who has just been pushed from the family nest after being given an ...more
Susan
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it

Michele Machado

Review copy received from author for an honest review.

I went in to MARKET STREET CINEMA expecting lots of erotica. I mean, it is a story about a college kid who is disillusioned over school and becomes a dancer at a strip club. But this story is so much more than that and has very little sex in it at all. It's more about friendship and the lengths we go to honor our friends.

Lita has just dropped out of college and her parents are beyond angry. Her parents tell
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
This was a really unexpected enjoyable read. I read it pretty quickly and found the writing crisp, clear and easy to engage with. The book has a more in-depth plot than I'd imagined and was a surprise package.

Lita Is a young woman disillusioned with college life and finding herself at odds with her parents she finds herself thrust out into the world on her own. Needing to make ends meet she gains a job in a lingerie retail store but it hardly pays the bills.

One day, life changes forever when she
Chelsies Crazy4Books
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Although it did have some adult content it has a lot less sex than the new adult books Ive read. I personally wouldnt call this an erotica. It has a lot more depth than that and the sexually explicit scenes arent exactly what Id called erotic or arousing. Stripping is a job to her and she doesnt find it arousing so its difficult for the reader to see it that way. Im not complaining because thats exactly what I was looking for when I picked this up. I wasnt looking for an erotica.

I read this
Misfits farm
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An excellent, memorable, touching read. Lita is at college but is not a college type girl. She isn’t really interested in what she is meant to be studying and is only there as her parents expect it. When she drops out she is given the ultimatum- back to college or stay out and move out. A chance encounter develops into an unlikely friendship and the chance to make additional money over her retail job that she has had to take extra hours in to cover the bills now that she is living under her own ...more
Pam
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
J.A. Kerr
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I knew this author could write. But could she tell a story- the answer is 100% yes. This is an engaging coming of age story with some adult content. Lita, the central character drops out of college and strikes out on her own. Securing a day job, Lita's chance meeting with Liberty introduces her to The Market Street Cinema and the world of adult entertainment. Read of Lita's journey and the influence Liberty has on her decisions. The story is beautifully written and evoked real emotion in me. I ...more
Circa Girl
Who wouldn't want to kick back and read a coming of age story where a sheltered young girl turns to stripping to make ends meet?

But while the subject matter and unpredictability made it a page turner, the writing is remarkably soulless. Lita is a very chill, observant and down to earth narrator who never annoyed me, but she isn't given much experience to chew on or really be challenged by until the very end. And even the ending tragedy, while very sad, felt unearned. For 208 pages, this might
Susan Hampson
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-reads
Lita is a young woman with such determination, strength and stubbornness that costs her to leave home. A very bright straight A student it soon guaranteed her a place in college but after only 6 weeks Lita knew this wasn’t for her. Her frustrated father gives her a devastating ultimatum, either return to college or leave home and fend for herself. Like most parents her father believes he is on a winner but he couldn’t be more wrong.
Full time work in a shop selling lingerie leads to a chance
Wit & Wonder Books
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
** ARC PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR FOR AN HONEST REVIEW **

Market Street Cinema by Michele Machado is a fast paced, short read that grips you from the beginning. This is a coming of age, new adult book. I would not classify this as erotica as there is no love interest.

It is the gritty story of Lita, a college dropout whose parents issue an ultimatum, go back to college or move out. Lita knows college isn't for her, so she takes a minimum wage retail job at the mall and moves out. She finds herself
J. Saman
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book held me from the first page and I didn't end up stopping until I was finished!
We meet Lita who is a recent college drop out. Her parents are beyond angry about this and end up kicking her out of the house so that she can learn how to be an adult on her own. She works for a lingerie company and ends up securing that for a full time position with them. Lita quickly learns that her job is hardly enough to make ends meet even if she just rents a room.
In walks Liberty, an older stripper
Karen Ginther
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Underground Book Reviews
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is recommended for fans of New Adult literature who are more interested in coming of age and platonic relationships than romance. Though the book is about sex workers, it is not a sexy story and not recommended for fans of erotica.

Read more of this review and others as UndergroundBookReviews.org
Ralou by Collector Of Book Boyfriends
LINK: https://collectorofbookboyfriends.com...

Definitely a book like nothing I have ever read before. And thank god I didn’t pass it up when I saw it on NetGalley because then I would have made one very big mistake.

Market Street Cinema is a standalone book with a very special and “unusual” story to tell. Its hero is a nineteen-year-old girl named Lita, who decides to drop out of college and try to find her way elsewhere. Which leads her to catch a job in a lingerie shop and working as a dancer
Samantha
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: california
I received an e-arc of this from Netgalley in exchange for and honest review.
This story is about a 19year old lita, who decides that college isn't for her and drops out to work in a lingerie store. But lit a has to make ends me and one day is approached by Liberty, a stripper who tells lita she can make some money reselling clothes to strippers at market street cinema.
I like this story and I don't like this story. It has a good female friendship and speaks a lot about the life of a stripper but
Angie
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC through NetGalley.

This will probably sound strange, but I can't resist a book about strippers, so of course I was very excited about Market Street Cinema. Lita has just started college, but to her dismay, it's nothing like high school. After a few weeks, she's failing and drops out. Lita doesn't want her parents to know, but they do find out and give her an ultimatum: re-enroll or move out. She chooses to move out, much to their surprise. Lita knows she'd just drop out again,
Amanda
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lita isn’t college material. Unfortunately, she has figured this out after dropping out of her local community college. When her parents find out, they demand that she either return to school or move out on her own. So Lita finds an apartment and declares her independence, though she is struggling to make ends meet with her retail job. When Liberty, a dancer at Market Street Cinema comes into her store, the two women quickly connect. Liberty convinces Lita to sell lingerie to the women at the ...more
Tony Parsons
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
1998, San Francisco Bay Area. Amelia (Hispanic, boss) had now scheduled Lita (19, narrator, retail sales clerk, Mod Unmentionables) for a 40 hr. week.
Sandra (retail sales clerk, Mod Unmentionables) worked there also.

Darcy (customer, aka Liberty, exotic dancer, Market Street Cinema) wanted Lita to show her some real sexy outfits.
Lita decided she was going to work as an exotic dancer at Market Street Cinema on Friday & Saturday. Lolita will be her stage name.
Mr. Hunter (HS science teacher)
H. El-Tahwagi
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
1998: Lita is a college drop out. She is forced to leave her parents' home and to cope with the problems every independet person, living on their own, faces. Like everybody else, she has to realize that you need money and guts in order to survive in this world. People around you can influence your decisions and also your life! So, when Lita meets a stripper, she decides to follow in her track. While she works at Market Street Cinema (San Francisco), she gets to see the dark sides of a stripper's ...more
Monica Mac
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was a complete surprise packet! I originally thought it was erotica but that is far from the case. Yes, the book is about a girl who becomes a stripper but there is much, much more to the story than that.

I feel that this book is about female friendships, hopes and dreams, and it is also a study of human nature. Michele Machado has a really good grasp of what makes people tick and it comes across in this book very well.

Lita is a college drop-out with no money and needs to make some
J.A. Kalis
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Market Street Cinema is a compelling read that gives a real insight into the experiences of strippers. The narrator in this story is Lita, a college dropout. Lured by the promise of big gains, she starts working in a strip club. However, very soon she discovers the hard truth behind the, at first sight, so glamorous façade.
Apart from Lita’s experiences, the story tells about how some other women get into the sex industry and stay there because they feel as if there is really nowhere else to go.
Keith
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in return for promising to do an honest review of it. I delayed starting to read it, because I didn't think it would suit me. It initially seemed to tightly targeted to a female audience.

But once I got going I found it difficult to put down. So it wasn't actually that tightly targeted, men will appreciate it too.

It has quite a bit of emotional content in it, in particular between Lita, a young woman trying to find her way in the world, and Liberty, the older woman
John DeSain
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An interesting bittersweet novelette about the coming of age of a recent high school graduate. Set in the age before cell phones and when San Francisco was merely not affordable as opposed to fiscally unobtainable for nearly anyone as it is today. It's not the standard coming of age affair about romantic awakening so much as a realization of inner confidence. Lita is a recent college drop out who feels disappointed in herself and senses being a great disappointment to her parents. She decides to ...more
Chasia Lloyd
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting NA read - no romance and very little sex considering this is about a girl who becomes a stripper. Also kind of no plot? The book reads like a series of loosely-connected events, almost memoir-ish.

I absolutely loved the mentor/student type of relationship between our college drop-out MC Lita and a stripper in her mid-40s, Liberty. Liberty was such a great character! Very enthusiastic about her plans to open a tea shop of her own.

Now I wasn't too fond of how the book painted
Atlas Publishing
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
DISCLOSURE: I received a free review copy of this book on NetGalley.

MARKET STREET CINEMA is a nice coming-of-age story. Machado does an admirable job of describing the scenes, and at times comes through with a rawness that is surprising but welcome. The first-person narrative helped to engage me with the main protagonist. The author also did a decent job building the various characters, and a wonderful job of developing Lita.
K.R. Reese
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing to read! Lita has to experience what it's really like to live in the real world when her parents tell her she has to live on her own after dropping out of Chabot. This book gives you a look into the life of a stripper; there's perks (aka the money) but not everything is good. The story gives you a view of the wrong side of the job. I'm glad I read this book and I'd highly recommend it to anyone!
Natasha Ellis
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting short story or novella about a young girl who gets caught up in the sex industry. Very readable though more for a young adult than me.
Many thanks to NetGalley for giving me a chance to read it.
poppy
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
A nice read just loved this book kept me interested right from the start recommended
Lesia Orders
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Im not going to lie.... WHEN IS BOOK 2 COMING OUT???? I really enjoyed this book and I really hope that this becomes a series! This was a great easy read!!!
Michele Machado is a San Francisco born literary pundit with a significant ramen addiction. When not writing review articles or shoveling Japanese noodles down her throat, she enjoys penning fiction with a higher heat factor. In order to balance the serious nature of her "real job" with the more salacious stories she writes, and to avoid uncomfortable conversations with her grandparents, the pen ...more