Start by marking “Running Against the Tide” as Want to Read:
Running Against the Tide

Running Against the Tide

Brimming with malice and threat, Running Against the Tide is about long-held prejudices and fractured relationships, and cements Amanda Ortlepp as one of Australia's most compelling storytellers.

Erin Travers is running away from her life and taking her two sons with her to a small town on the ruggedly beautiful Eyre Peninsula. The close-knit township is full of happy chil
Published March 1st 2016 by Simon and Schuster Au

To ask other readers questions about Running Against the Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running Against the Tide

Start your review of Running Against the Tide
Veronica ⭐️
Running against the Tide was a gripping story set in the fictitious town of Mallee bay on the Eyre Peninsula with its close knit community of oyster farmers.
Ortlepp is adept at keeping the reader in suspense, dropping small hints and a few red herrings throughout that keep you guessing on the truth right until the very end.

Right from the start I didn’t like Erin. The decisions she made and the actions she took made it hard for me to connect and empathise with her. She didn’t redeem herself throu
Jülie ☼♄ 

After fleeing a broken marriage and looking to make a new start, Erin Travers has spent almost two days and a night on the road.
With her two teenaged sons and a car loaded with their few remaining belongings, they arrive at the address given to them by the real estate agent.
When they pull into the driveway of the small weatherboard cottage, which has clearly seen better days, they sit for some moments and stare, wondering what they are doing here.
Remaining hopeful as this is the place where she
Brenda
4.5s

Erin Travers was accompanied by her two sons, nineteen year old Mike and fifteen year old Ryan, as they made their way to Mallee Bay on the beautiful Eyre Peninsula north of Adelaide. They had left Sydney and Marcus; her husband and the boys’ father – and Erin had no intention of returning. Mallee Bay was where Erin had grown up – she had many happy memories of the small town, and hoped her boys would come to like the lifestyle as well. But the sight of the rental in the late evening was de
Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
Really enjoyed this suspenseful tale set near Adelaide. Amanda Ortlepp is certainly yet another talented Australian author to look out for!

With her two teenage sons, Erin moves away from her life in Sydney, to down to her childhood home near the Eyre Peninsula not far from Adelaide. Mallee Bay is an oyster town, many of the locals making a living from hard work at the oyster farms. But did Erin really leave her past behind her? Strange things begin to happen and Erin feel she is in danger. But f
PattyMacDotComma
3.5★

Amanda Ortlepp is a good Aussie writer, and I look forward to reading more of her work. I think many readers will enjoy this, especially if they love the Eyre Peninsula of South Australia and oyster farming.

Erin is a mum with 2 teenaged boys, a 14-year-old and one just out of school. They leave Dad in Sydney and move back to the South Australian fishing village where Erin spent much of her childhood. Like a lot of people, when things go wrong in the family, they either want to go home or wan
Carolyn

Erin Travers left Sydney with her two teenage sons Mike and Ryan after the breakdown of her marriage and moved to Mallee Bay, a small seaside town on Eyre Peninsula where she had happy memories of childhood holidays. With no money due to her husband's addictive gambling habit, Erin can only afford to rent the cheapest of ramshackle houses and her youngest son Ryan is not impressed. In fact he is not pleased with the move at all, hating his new school and everything about the town. Older brother
Bianca
I went into this novel with my eyes closed, not having a clue what it was about.

Running Against the Tide is a women's fiction novel with some suspense/thriller thrown in. The last part was unexpected.

The main character of the novel is Erin Travers who's moved to Eyre Peninsula, South Australia to start a new life with her two sons: Ryan, a sulky, quiet fifteen-year-old, and Mike, a handsome and confident nineteen-year-old.

They can only afford to rent a run-down, mouldy house in an oyster farmi
Calzean
This is an easy to read semi-thriller with two storylines. Who is stealing the oysters and who is making Erin's new life in the Eyre Peninsular freaky?
Erin seems to make poor choices and did not endear herself with me; she does not share her problems with her 15 and 19 year sons, hasn't visited her dementia suffering mother for over a year, gives her new beau a real hard time and is pretty rude to her sister who has been caring for her mother. Her sons are Mike, too good to be true, and Ryan, a
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Running Against the Tides is a story of suspense in which Amana Ortlepp explores themes such as displacement, addiction, bias, obsession, and betrayal.

Needing to make a fresh start after the breakdown of her marriage, Erin Travers is drawn to Mallee Bay on the Eyre Peninsula. She has fond childhood memories of the small coastal town, and hopes it will be a place that she and her two teenage sons, Mike and Ryan, can make a home.

It’s not the most auspicious of starts, their rental home is poky and
marlin1
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Erin Travers has uprooted her two sons from Sydney to move to a small oyster farming town on the Eyre Peninsular in South Australia, where she had happy holiday memories from childhood.
Older son Mike 19 yrs, understands the reasons and tries to help his Mum as much as possible. Ryan, her youngest at 15 yrs old, has been sheltered from the real reason and he is extremely resentful that he can't live with his Dad in Sydney and he doesn't make things easy for Erin or himself.

I really loved this boo
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
Erin Travers is trying to start a new life with her two teenage sons in the tiny fictional town of Mallee Bay, situated in a rugged and isolated coastal region of the Eyre Peninsula, Australia’s “seafood frontier” - but things don’t seem to get off to a good start.

To begin with, the house she’s rented (sight unseen) turns out to be a dilapidated weatherboard cottage that needs more than a bit of TLC and Ryan, her fifteen year old son, is not saying much.

When Erin enters a painting competition an
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘… you don’t realise the effect you have on people. You don’t understand that your actions have consequences.’

Erin Travers and her sons Mike and Ryan have left Sydney, hoping to start a new life in the small town of Mallee Bay on South Australia’s Eyre Peninsula. Erin spent some happy times in Mallee Bay as a child, and hopes to find refuge and start a new life away from her gambling addict husband Marcus.

Mallee Bay is a small, close-knit community, where everyone knows almost everything about e
Josie
Sep 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this back to back with the author's debut novel, and I have to say this wasn't as good. Fair enough the subject matter of the first novel packed one hell of an original punch, but this follow up was just never going to cut the mustard and that was a shame.
Although I could appreciate the writing skill and the storyline was good, it just wasn't as unique and "Claiming Noah" so I guess it suffered somewhat from a case of sibling overshadow!
This one did make me cry though, so extra points the
Jill
'Running Against the Tide' by Amanda Ortlepp was disappointing. The plot sounded promising: a mother flees a disastrous marriage, taking her two teenage sons to settle in an isolated community on the Eyre Peninsula in South Australia where she had grown up. There are quite a few sub-plots. One of the sons finds it hard to settle into his new school, an old boyfriend of Erin's turns up, a new one starts to court her, someone is stealing the oysters in the local oyster farms, mysterious and danger ...more
Meegz Reads
Jun 01, 2019 marked it as dnf
Shelves: kindle
Copy kindly received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I got this ages ago on NG, and hadn't had a chance to get to it until now. Given that its been along time, this is not the sort of book I am currently interested in reading. It sounds good, and the writing style seems good, for the part that I did start to read. Just not for me right now.
Kathy
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, lots of little twists and turns to keep me guessing. I really didn’t like Erin though, she made some poor choices in her lifel
Michelle
Amanda Ortlepp returns after the success of her debut, Claiming Noah, which we read for book club and I loved.

Running Against The Tide sees Erin pack up her sons and leave Sydney for the small town of Mallee Bay on the Eyre Peninsula, she remembered holidaying nearby as a child and the place holds happy memories – and it’s far from the mess that is her marriage.

The house is a little rundown, the town is a little small and Erin begins to wonder what she has gotten herself in for. Her teenaged son
Deborah
I've read a lot of novels recently about people on the run, so was relieved when it turned out that Erin wasn't really in hiding... just moving on from her past. And again (happily) that past is shared pretty quickly so there's no big reveal on that front. It meant the book was more about Erin and her boys (Mike and Ryan) and their family dynamic.

In fact, Running Against the Tide touches on many important issues such as family violence, relationships, and addiction; all set amidst the Eyre Penin
Kerrie
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm in heaven. Another crime fiction title set in authentically in South Australia.
For most of this story you might think this book is on the very outer edge of the crime fiction genre, but its place is firmly established by the end.

Erin Travers takes her two sons away from Sydney and her abusive gambling addict husband to the fictitious town on Mallee Bay on South Australia's Eyre Peninsula. Her older son needs to find a job and teenaged Ryan will go to school. Ryan in particular finds the move
Helen
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another nice Aussie yarn, set in an oyster farming village in South Australia. I really enjoyed this aspect of the story as well as the local characters. I found it a little hard to accept that Ryan had gone from a loving son who followed his mum everywhere, to the sullen rude teenager he became. Also that she never put the weird ex-boyfriend in her list of suspects. However it was an enjoyable read, in a fascinating setting.
Jess
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Amanda Ortlepp. The story had me turning the page quicker then I could read it. I was left with wanting more, but having questions answered and the closure needed. I only wanted to read more because I could have kept reading and reading about this story and the many characters involved. This is an intense drama filled story which had me trying to guess what was going on, yet when finding out been in surprise.
Junipa
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very slow to get started and I felt the loose ends which hanging around through the book were tied up too quickly, as if the author didn’t quite know what to do with them and wanted the story over.

I didn’t warm to Erin who was so self absorbed she couldn’t see what was going on in her own family.

That said, I enjoyed the book. The setting was interesting and I’d read more books by this author.
Ann Bates
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this second novel by Ortlepp. It starts out slow, but that is really allowing the reader to get to know the characters on a deeper level. Ortlepp does a great job creating deep characters and intertwining them throughout the story. The ending is fabulous for almost all of the characters.
Monique Mulligan
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Expect to suspect everyone in Running Against the Tide, the latest novel from Amanda Ortlepp (Claiming Noah). An undercurrent of malice swims through the novel, luring readers into its depths, and tossing up red herrings that promote suspicion and tension.

When Erin Travers moves to the rugged Eyre Peninsula in South Australia, she’s leaving a life of uncertainty and mis-trust and hoping for a fresh start with her two teenage sons. Her oldest son, Mike, seems to settle in quickly, but her younger
Janis Hill
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Simon & Schuster (Australia) for providing me with a free ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an open and honest review.

This book was a little different for me. It was general fiction that almost had the feeling of literary fiction to me as well as having that taste of intrigue and mystery I do so enjoy. Add to that the, for me, almost local feel and imagery that brought to life memories of my own and… wow, what a great read.

And I really must thank Simon & Schust
Rowena Holloway
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Not quite brimming with malice and threat but still an entertaining read.

As a story of a woman trying to make a new start in a country town she used to know well but which is alien to her two sons, one of whom seems to slide into the community easily while the other struggles to overcome resentment of the move and find his place, this is an intriguing read. Sense of place was muted but realistic and I enjoyed reading about a part of the world I know reasonably well. The characters of Jono and Ry
Jeannette
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book blurb...

Running Against the Tide is a novel about long-held grudges, prejudices and love triangles in a small town where lives are tangled too closely together.
Erin Travers is running away from her life and taking her two sons with her to a small town on the Eyre Peninsula. This small, beautiful township is interwoven with happy childhood memories for Erin. But the past never stays the same and she is bringing a whole lot of baggage with her. When the peaceful community is disrupted by ars
Dayna
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was a delight to read. Ortlepp has written a book with many layers and developed the characters of this book well. It would also appear that Ortlepp researched the art of Oyster farming as well, I found her descriptions throughout the book very informative and for the uneducated (such as myself), very realistic, adding an interesting backdrop to this novel.

There were twists and turns in this novel that really kept me wanting to read to the end to establish who was causing Erin grief. E
Lisa
In Running Against The Tide, we meet Erin Travers, newly arrived to a small, oyster-farming town on the Eyre Peninsula. Aiming to flee the troubles that sent her away from Sydney, she attempts to make a new life for herself and her two sons, but this may not be the ideal escape she hoped for...

I find Running Against The Tide hard to define into a genre. I don't think that the mystery or thriller elements are particularly strong, despite author Amanda Ortlepp's best efforts. I quickly figured out
Sharon J
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Erin Travers and her two sons, Mike and Ryan arrive in the small town of Mallee Bay on the Eyre Peninsula having left Sydney with an attempt to escape from troubles, to a place where Erin has fond childhood memories. Not all is smooth sailing and while the story starts off with issues of moving to a small town and coping with living in a small town where everyone knows or wants to know everyone’s business, the story follows several different and intriguing threads which kept me on the edge wonde ...more

• The Rosie Result (Don Tillman, #3)
  • The Things We Cannot Say
  • Secrets of a Happy Marriage
  • Holding
  • Arkie's Pilgrimage to the Next Big Thing
  • Seven Letters
  • Live and Let Fry (Cass Tuplin, #3)
  • You're The One That I Don't Want
  • The Image of You
  • Gabriel's Bay
  • One Last Thing Before I Go
  • Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia
  • City of Crows
Amanda Ortlepp's debut novel, Claiming Noah, was published in Australia and New Zealand in 2015. Its ethical dilemmas and emotionally-charged themes struck a chord with mothers and book clubs in particular and it became a bestseller. Claiming Noah was published in the US and Canada in 2016. Amanda's second novel, Running Against the Tide, is set on the remote Eyre Peninsula in South Australia wher ...more