Start by marking “Sinders and Ash (The Pennymaker Tales #1)” as Want to Read:
Sinders and Ash (The Pennymaker Tales #1)

Sinders and Ash

(The Pennymaker Tales #1)

A Pennymaker Tale

Housekeeper Mark Sintorella (Sinders) works diligently at a resort hotel while designing clothes anonymously, hoping to get into fashion school. Then his carefully planned life is upended with the arrival of Ashton Armitage, son of the fifth richest man in America—and the most beautiful guy Mark has ever seen. Ash must find a wife or he’ll lose his
Published October 14th 2015 by Dreamspinner Press (first published March 31st 2012)

Start your review of Sinders and Ash (The Pennymaker Tales #1)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
I read the newly released second edition, although I don't think this book was updated.

Let's start here:

This is a FAIRY TALE (a contemporary, loose interpretation of Cinderella).

I reminded myself of this every time I wanted to roll my eyes while reading this story.

We have Mark (aka Sinders), a talented fashion designer working as an all-purpose boy at a posh hotel. Sinders wears a disguise so as not to appear too beautiful and draw attention.

And we have Ashton (aka Ash), a closeted
Ann
Narrated by Kale Williams

Suspend belief all ye who enter here!

Not saying that’s a bad thing. But, you do need to know that this is very much a Hallmark type fairy tale so you can appreciate it for what it’s giving you. Everyone is exceptionally beautiful, the drama is dramatic as are the reactions to the drama and the ending is perfectly perfect.

Sinders, or Mark, is a beautifully sad and quirky character that cleans the fireplaces at a luxury resort along with a bunch of menial bullshit things
Macky
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-Read of Second Edition. Originally Read and Reviewed December 2012
3.5 STARS

Loosely based on the "Once Upon A Time" stories we used to have read to us when we were tucked up in bed with our favourite toys (and I don't mean the battery operated one's, LOL) The Pennymaker Tales feature the loud (bright green or plaid) suited, small in stature but BIG hearted Carstairs Pennymaker: a contemporary 'fairy godfather' style character who in each story, with a touch of well meaning meddling and a
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
*I received a free ARC of Sinders and Ash from Enchanterss of Books Blogtours in exchange of an honest and unbiased review*

Sinders and Ash is the most campy and fun re-telling of Cinderella I've had the pleasure to read! Tara Lain outdid herself with this one!

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews
Wax
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-have, mm
This book was provided for free by the author in exchange for an honest review.

I'd give this 3.5 stars, rounded up to 4. The marriage of convenience trope is one of my favorites, so it was a guaranteed I would want to read this. Mark 'Sinders' Sintorella works as a jack-of-all-trades at a posh resort. He earned his name from his job sweeping the fireplaces, and few even know his real name. Because of previous experiences, he also goes to lengths to hide his features, hiding them beneath a cap
Patricia Nelson
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this fantastic story! Tara Lain takes the same old, same old fairytale and gives it an original and totally fresh twist. I definitely recommend this to everyone.

I read an ARC of the 2nd edition of this book.
Ashley E
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, contest
Sinders and Ash is a great retelling of the classic Cinderella fairytale. And although at the heart, it is a fairytale, it stills takes a real look at modern life in New York for two gay men looking for love. It isn't all easy, but it does have a happy ending. *winks* Enjoy this one!
BWT (Belen)
Belens Audio Book Review

Mark "Sinders" Sinterello is a housekeeper who dreams of being a fashion designer. Ashton Armitage is a closeted millionaire in search of a bride in order to satisfy the terms of his grandfather's will. The will states Ash must marry prior to his twenty-fifth birthday in order to receive his $500+ million inheritance or it all goes to charity. Ash has procrastinated because he's gay and doesn't want to marry a woman and he literally only has weeks before his birthday to meet and marry someone.

Donna
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love everything about this m/m Cinderella story from the cover to the end. This like the original Cinderella is a story with a message. I absolutely adored Mark “Sinders” Sintorella. He is out and true to himself and working his ass off to get where he wants to be. Ashford “Ash” Armitage is rich as Croesus but not happy because he isn’t out and his grandfathers will says his inheritance is dependent upon his getting married. Carstairs Pennymaker plays the role of fairy godmother to perfection. ...more
Ilona
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a few Tara Lain books now and can't get enough of her writing style. In this one Tara Lain has taken a classic fairytale and put a more modern twist on it.

I loved the whole concept of Cinderella with two males in the lead parts but couldn't see how it could be done without making it a farce. Tara showed me how with panache! The characters were never caricatures and the constant hint at the original fairytale ideas was excellent. I loved the way she had the Ash character grow more
Renee
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My absolute favorite of all her books that I've read, and I think I'm only missing 2. Something about these characters just clicked with me for some reason. A week after reading it while reading something else I still was thinking of them, wanting to go back and visit.
Tara has a wonderful way of creating characters that I want to meet and be friends with in real life, they stay with me long after I stop reading whatever book of hers I was reading at the time. She can't write fast enough for me.
Lena Grey
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Living an honest life is not always the easiest way to go; but it is the most fulfilling. Whether rich or poor, if you have to lie about who you and what you believe, it will eventually take its toll. One lie leads to another, as Ash Armitage of 'Sinders and Ash' by Tara Lain finds out, and soon you're not sure what's important and what isn't.

Even though Ash is rich and famous, he's poor when it comes to freedom. His life isn't his own; it's dictated by his status. Ash has a lot of potential,
Diane
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You could look at this story as one where the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side, but more importantly, you cannot live your life as a lie. Be it Ash thinking he can get married as a business arrangement and be happy, or Sinders appearing as a woman, which is even less of a disguise than the cap and glasses he wears to work everyday!

I love this take on a Cinderella type of book because the two lead characters save each other and are both heroes of their story. Ronnie and Bitsy
Jaime
This was a cute book and the start of a new series by Tara Lain that is made of novels loosely based on well-known fairytales. This book, Sinders and Ash, is based on Cinderella and Ms.Lain is very creative with how she alters a traditional hetero Fairytale to fit a male/male couple! I really enjoyed the story, which Although it was pretty much insta love between the two MC it is tolerable because it's suppose to be that way. I really think all will enjoy this book and I am eagerly awaiting the ...more
Kinny
I loved this story. Although there were very close calls, nothing traumatic happened to Sinders which I like. They indeed get their HEA. I
Over that there was another couple in the story who were also great decent people. I love Carstairs pennymaker. I actually thought he was a magical creature but apparently he is just a rich and very connected human.
Penelope Frost
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really nice and fun take on the Cinderella story. I smiled to myself a couple of times because I think the MCs were just adorable. The downside was, for me, the length of the story. I would have loooved for it to be much longer, but alas, I'm not that lucky.. Still it's a lovely story, I'll probably read again when I want to read a makes-me-feel-good book :)
S.K.
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very clever slant on Cinderella, with riches at stake, hidden lesbians, cross dressing and a leprechaun fairy godfather!! Very sweet.
Buffy Kennedy
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tara Lain has taken a classic fairytale and put a more modern twist on it. Mark was kicked out at 16 and has led a tough life full of hard work. Ash is a rich boy with no work experience. They say opposites attract and that must be right, because boy is it a fierce attraction between these two. Better than that though, is how Mark makes Ash want to be a better man, and Ash inspires Mark to fight for what he wants.

All of Tara’s books are great, I love the personal conflicts and watching the
Viv
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exactly what I was hoping it'd be! A fairytale. Everything about it was lovely. Such a sweet and magical story. I loved Mark and Ash. Especially enjoyed the little Cinderella nuggets throughout. If you're looking for a sweet, fairytale romance...look no further. A touch or two of steam helps make it sizzle. tsssssss.
Keara
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-contemporary
This is a really cute take on the fairytale.... There is a ball and everything!
The story made me feel as though I was right there with Mark cleaning out the fireplaces and getting ash all over myself. The other MC Ash is so far in the closet that he pretends to be a playboy and has to marry within 2 weeks to gain his inheritence. What a great read. This one will land in my This Is Just Fun Re-Read File. Make me smile!
Keara
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-contemporary
Oh, Oh, Oh, Someone please tell me there are other books where Mr Pennymaker plays matchmaker or that there will be more in the future!!! This book was so much fun to read. I love a book that makes me cry a little, laugh a lot!!!
Dianne Hartsock
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually don't give 5 stars, but this story is so fun! Adorable. I loved all the characters and Sinders simply ran away with my heart. If you're looking for the perfect fairy tale come true, this is it!
kathleen
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun read. This is a great retelling of the classic Cinderella. This is a light read about Mark (Sinders) and Ash. Perfect book to curl up with for an afternoon.
Sandra
I ended up enjoying this more than I thought I would. Unfortunately, book 2, Driven Snow, didn't really work for me, but I did not have the same issues here. It's a fun and light read, where the odd and seemingly magical Mr. Pennymaker fits into and compliments the story. I was put off a bit in the first few chapters due to unnecessarily vulgar language (usually I'm Cursing McFuckity Pants), it just didn't seem necessary or to fit. But I think it was intentional to differentiate from the classic ...more
Portia
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have stated publicly that I am Tara Lain’s biggest fan, and lovely reads like Sinder & Ash are why.

Mark is ambitious. He knows he wants to work in high fashion, and his job at the resort gives him the opportunity to save most of his salary and a quiet space to work on his designs.

Love is not on his agenda.

For that matter, it’s not on Ash’s either. He just needs a nice woman to marry him, so he can inherit his grandfather’s money. Money that he plans on putting to very good use…as soon as
Eli Easton
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A fun read that I devoured in one sitting. The author did a nice job with the characters and the plot line. I actually loved mark in the dresses, unusual and very rags-to-riches. Good stuff.
Kim
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, prior-to-2017
Amanda
Five kajillionzillion STARS!!! A wonderful modern retelling of Cinderella. Pulled me in from page one, and took me on a beautiful ride. A must read, and read again, and again.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*
Cute read, Mark 'Sinder' was kicked out by his family so to earn money for design school he works at a Hotel and does all the dirty work no one else wants to do.
He is very determined and hardworking and deserves all the help the enigmatic Mr Pennymaker gives him.
Ash gives the impression of a playboy but does have a deeper side that he shows to Sinder.
I liked the side plot with Bitsy!
The Cinderfella fairy tale was sweet, but I had to say, Mark getting constant hard-ons just from a voice or
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-male-male
3.5 Stars

This was a cute modern day Cinderella story. Sinder (aka Mark) has been working at a hotel/resort. He does all the jobs nobody else wants to do. He works hard and tries to go unnoticed. Sinder dreams of becoming a fashion designer, and works at the hotel to save for college. He was thrown out of the house when he was 16 for being gay.

Ashton Armitage is the son of the 5th wealthiest man in America. In order to obtain his inheritance left by his grandfather, he must marry. Only one
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Crooked Tree Ranch (Montana, #1)
  • One Giant Leap
  • Bonfires (Bonfires #1)
  • Five Minutes Longer (Enhanced, #1)
  • Loving Jay (Loving You, #1)
  • The Heart of Texas (Texas, #1)
  • Mate of the Tyger Prince (Mate of the Tyger Prince #1)
  • Frat Boy and Toppy (Theta Alpha Gamma, #1)
  • Warm Heart (Search and Rescue, #1)
  • Truth in the Dark
  • The Weight of It All
  • Johnnie (Siphon Collection, #1)
  • Score (Men of Hidden Creek - Season 1, #6)
  • Behind the Curtain
  • First Light (Heartsville, #2)
  • Damned If You Do
  • The Christmas Dragon's Mate (Lonely Dragons Club #1)
  • Collide (Blackcreek, #1)
Tara Lain never met a beautiful boy she didn’t love – at least on paper. A writer of erotic romance, mostly ménage and male/male, Tara loves all her characters, but especially her handsome heroes. A lifelong writer of serious non-fiction, Tara had the first novel she ever wrote accepted for publication in 2011. She’s now on book 45 and counting. After an exotic life of travel all over the world ...more

The Pennymaker Tales (4 books)
  • Driven Snow (The Pennymaker Tales, #2)
  • Beauty, Inc. (The Pennymaker Tales #3)
  • Never (The Pennymaker Tales #4)
“ 'Give me a break. You're smart; you're capable. You even have a disturbing streak of honesty, which you occasionally acknowledge. And I suppose some people wouldn't mind looking at you.' ” 1 likes