Start by marking “Monster's New Undies” as Want to Read:

These are my undies!
A sweet work of art!
Uh-oh! My undies!
They just fell apart.

Monster is JUST FINE with his old undies, thank you very much. But when his undies fall apart, what's a monster to do? His mommy takes him shopping, of course! But finding the perfect pair of undies is not going to be easy. . .

Come on already!
Can't you just see?
There are no new undies
just right
Published June 27th 2017 by Orchard

To ask other readers questions about Monster's New Undies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monster's New Undies

Steve Holden
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of July is very special for me. Summer schedule is in full gear, traveling and summer projects are at their peak, and my wife and I have made July 1 our ultimate day of celebration. We had our first date on July 1st, became engaged a year later on the date, and then were married a year after that. So now we just call it our day. This year we enjoyed breakfast at a favorite spot and then spent the remaining time of our morning in a bookstore. Oh, teachers and booklovers in love!

As
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-books
Very cute. Nice read aloud.
Susan
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An endearing story of undies? It’s true! In this rhyming story we meet little monster who dreads shopping for new undies. When his mom takes him to Undie World, he is soon overwhelmed. He vetoes polka-dots, tiny whales and racing car undies for him! In despair he’s about to leave, when he spies the perfect pair.

Filled with all the words for undies and what they cover, it’s clean fun and a fun read-aloud for both parents and kids.
Barbara
I'd never have thought of writing a book about underwear or a parent and her child shopping for new undies, but this author did. The result is amusing, and I'm sure many youngsters will be able to relate. After all, even after they're a little too small or falling apart, it can be hard to let go of one's favorite pair of underwear. In rhyming text and with plenty of references to the little guy's bottom [tush and buns, for instance], the story takes readers into Undie World, a store that sells o ...more
The Library Lady
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I was waiting for some reviewer to complain about the word "buns," but apparently that word is okay. I would be careful about reading this with preschoolers who are old enough to find underwear funny--if you've ever read the immortal Froggy Gets Dressed to a preschool group, you will know what I mean--but if you WANT to induce guffaws and giggles, this would do the trick. Best of all, it has perfectly cadenced rhymes, and wonderful art. I like the limited palette (just primary colors and black/w ...more
Erin
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Monster loves his undies, but they have fallen apart. He doesn’t want new undies, but it’s too cold without them, so it is time for Monster to get new ones. At the store Monster doesn’t like any undies until he finds ones just like his old ones. These new undies allow Monster to be comfortable again. Although about underwear (which is just funny to students), Monster’s New Undies can compare to any beloved item a student has and the feelings that occur when that item can no longer be used. This ...more
Krystal Littrell
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-kiddos-books
Such a cute book. My kids and I read it 3-4 times. It’s an adorable rhyming book that follows a cute little monster who apparently has one pair of undies he likes. After he wears them out, his mom and him venture to Undies World, a whole store devoted to underwear.

After picking through tons of undies, he finally find a pair that are like his old ones and makes sure to buy a huge supply of them so he has backups and one to wear each day of the week!!

Reminds me of a Dr. Seuss book with the rhymi
Jana
This fun picture book uses adorable illustrations and rollicking, rhyming text to share the dread of shopping for new underwear and the joy of finding a pair that fit perfectly. ALL readers will be able to relate to hanging on to favorite undergarments until they fall apart, and the agony of shopping for new ones because of the difficulty in finding something that fits just right. This would be fun to share with young children as everyone starts their back-to-school shopping!
Lisa
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Little Monster is in need of new underwear, his current ones are too tight. However, he is very picky, and nothing suits his taste, even when his mother takes him to a store that specializes in underwear.

The illustrations are delightful, the rhyming text is cute and funny. This is cute (but a tiny bit irreverent, after all, it is about underwear!)

Cross posted to http://kissthebook.blogspot.com CHECK IT OUT!
mary dewley
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a hilarious read! Still confused as to why the monster mamma made the child go to the store without any clothes on. Children will be sure to giggle when they hear rhyming words like"bun" and "behind." Cute illustrations geared towards younger boys more so than girls because of the heavy use of black, pea green, red and blue colors that remind me of a comic strip panel found in old newspapers.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Review cross-posted from reviewer’s personal Goodreads account

Berger, Samantha Monster’s New Undies, illustrated by Tad Carpenter. PICTURE BOOK. Orchard Books (Scholastic) 2017. $16.99. Content: PG (a few references to the monster’s bottom).

EL (K-3) - ADVISABLE Lisa Librarian
Serenity
*I received a free review copy of this book from the publisher through my district library services*

As you might expect, this is a goofy book about a monster shopping for new undies. Berger manages to slip in many alternative terms for the monster's rear end, and the story rhymes, so it will have high kid appeal. Just a cute and silly read, although there is a little message that it's okay to stick with what you know works.
Adam James
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, jackson-s-books
Monster's New Undies is adorable.
I'm not quite sure how educational it is (it isn't), but it sure is cute!

My 1 year-old son's review was a whopping 2 whole minutes of his attention.
That's a win right there!

Or maybe it's just the bright colors and goofy words...

Meh, I liked it, though.
Kelly
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Monster needs new undies but does not want to go underwear shopping. The story tells the raucous shopping trip to outfit his bumpitous buns with the perfect pair. Cute rhyming story perfect for read aloud.

First group of children noticed the monster wears underwear, but no pants.

Second group of children noticed mommy monster takes him to the store with nothing on.

Kids pay attention!!
Kat Harrison
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun read (especially when done aloud and in a silly voice), "Monster's New Undies" puts a sing-song spin on the daunting/exhilarating task of underwear shopping. Carpenter's neon illustrations succeed in elevating the already energetic text. I'd love to see more books like this one that appropriately celebrate the small, but meaningful moments that make up the collage of life.
Great Books
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ages-5-8
Entirely relaetable, Monster's New Undies delves into the world of underwear shopping when nothing quite fits, nothing looks right, and everything is not good enough to cover monster's buns. Told in rhyme, this hysterical story is perfect for readalouds and beginning readers.
Reviewer #9
Vicki
Yes! Another underwear picture book sure to elicit giggles from the crowd. Who likes shopping for underwear?? The monster in this book most certainly does not.

This cute book has perfect illustrations with a touch of darkness (monsterly) to them.
Heydi Smith
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-storytime
This undies book is adorable. The monster’s expressions are hilarious. The lyrical stanzas are a pleasure to read.

This is exactly how I feel about underwear!!!!

I would recommend pairing this with New Socks by Bob Shea and I Ain’t Gonna Paint No More by Karen Beaumont.
Kelsey
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Age: Toddler-Preschool
Familiar Experience: Underwear shopping

Cute bum-related rhymes and a picky monster make this a delight for kids. This book may serve as a glorification of undies, helping toddlers transition from diapers.
Pam
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Little monster's underwear have completely worn out. He does not want to shop for new. The story takes us through the shopping trip with his mom. He rejects every style until he spots the exact same ones he had. Then he takes us through the joy of dancing and moving in comfortable undies.
Becky
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Some of the capitalized emphasis isn't the word I would emphasize, but it's not too distracting. A good choice for underwear storytime. Could also be paired with Raschka's New Shoes for a 'buying new clothes' storytime.
Diane
"Of all day I dread not one can compare
to the day that we shop for NEW underwear."

Okay, so they're a bit small ... and a bit torn ... and the elastic is worn out. So? Do I really need a new pair? Okay, so my undies fell apart, that doesn't mean I'm just going to settle for any old pair of underwear. "... I guess there is nothing just right for my rump." Until Eureka! Way in the back. "The moment I saw them, my tush fell in love."

With all the references to rumps, buns, and tush, this is sure to b
AMY
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: K-2
Rhyming story with good illustrations. It is a silly story but kids will like it. A monster needs new underwear and it takes a while to find just the right pair. It was ok and I would probably buy it for my library. Recommended for K-2.
Hannah
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommend
Lots of giggling ensued.
Rebecca Ann
This is adorable and so true to the toddler/preschool mindset. It would make a hilarious read for the right storytime group.
Mary
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Funny and cute. Great read-aloud for 3-6 y/o. Pair with Creepy Pair of Underwear by Reynolds and Brown for an undies storytime!
Kelly
Holy crap, this was cute! The monster is adorable and the story light-heartedly talks about his new undies! I sat and smiled throughout the book.
Lara Samuels
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Laugh out loud read aloud.
Michal Hope
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finn-books
Perfect for boys!
Sandra
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun and silly, perfect for storytime. (Pair with aliens love underpants for a probably really out of control crowd?!)