Start by marking “The Last Adventure of Constance Verity (Constance Verity #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Adventure of Constance Verity (Constance Verity #1)

The Last Adventure of Constance Verity

(Constance Verity #1)

Constance Verity has been saving the world since she was seven, and she’s sick of it. She sets off on one last adventure to assassinate her fairy godmother and become the one thing she’s never been: ordinary.

Ever since she was granted a wish at birth by her fairy godmother, Constance Verity has become one of the world’s great adventurers. It all began at her seventh birthd
Published June 14th 2016 by Saga Press

To ask other readers questions about The Last Adventure of Constance Verity, please sign up.
Alan Pierce At 14 I was reading pretty much everything. It's part of how I learned about the birds and bees, and trust me, literature is one of the tamest ways to…moreAt 14 I was reading pretty much everything. It's part of how I learned about the birds and bees, and trust me, literature is one of the tamest ways to go about doing that, especially these days. I see a lot of posts on adult content on this book. This is nowhere near 50 shades or anything, I'm not all the way through it, but the one sex scene I read was very tame. Like you said, it's mostly just implied, it's not graphic. However, it has to be said that this is not a YA (young adult) novel. There's adult language and sexual content. If that is something you're not ready for your son to read, or it's not something he's comfortable with then I'd steer clear. As for YA books with similar humor, I don't know. This author's 'voice' makes his writing very funny, and that's very unique as far as I can tell. If you want YA sci-fi and fantasy, that's a huge market right now. My recommendation is the Steelheart series by Brandon Sanderson. It's extremely well written and I couldn't put it down. An added bonus there is if your son likes Sanderson he can read his novels geared for adults. Sanderson is about as clean as it gets. You're not going to find bad language or adult content in any of his novels whether they're geared for adults or teens. (less)

Start your review of The Last Adventure of Constance Verity (Constance Verity #1)
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/08/21/...

It appears plenty of people are already aware of the awesomeness of A. Lee Martinez, and as usual I’m just way behind. I first heard of the author only earlier this year, when I saw the title and cover for The Last Adventure of Constance Verity. How could I not be intrigued? Is Constance the badass looking woman smiling smugly at the viewer, apparently after having taken down a bunch of cultists single-handedly? And why mi
Lindsay
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan of Martinez's work and have been for years. I enjoy his humor and I really love the way he skewers genre tropes, both by making fun of them and making them his own. He's in good form with this one, with Constance Verity being the embodiment of every pulp and adventure hero and her life story reading like a combination of Doctor Who, James Bond, Tarzan and Indiana Jones.

The story starts with Connie attempting to get a mundane office job, but that quickly goes off the rails into an adven
John
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Rated one star below the author's Monster because the wild humor that runs through that entire book gives way again and again in this one to long, repetitive discussions of free will, determination, and the purpose of life...though after each immersion in Deep Thought it snaps back to wildly funny escapades.

Unlike Monster, this novel has the advantage of two rather sympathetic characters, ones I found I could adopt as book-friends. Constance Verity, or Connie, has been performing all the good d
Cathy

Like all of his books, you can read it and just have a laugh, it's a fun adventure, somewhat silly, pretty exciting, lighthearted and fast-paced. And if you want to think about things a little bit too, there's actually a lot of meat on those bones as well. Some things about free will vs. destiny, an awful lot about friends and what we owe the people we love. The one thing all of his books have in common is a strong focus on friendships and relationships and what that means and how they function.
Blake
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book a whole lot more. I liked the concept, and it started off really well, but then it got mired in conversation after conversation about whether Constance really wanted a normal life or if she could even have one followed by more conversations about whether we really have real choices in life or if all the big things are predetermined for us. Nothing wrong at all with characters having these types of conversations. Those were some of the main themes of the book. But it se ...more
Bonnie
DNF @ 32%

“I’m Constance Danger Verity. I’ve defeated magical Nazis in four different alternate realities, and saved the King of the Moon from a literal army of ninja assassins. I can do anything. Why the hell can’t I do this?”

“This” = quitting the job of being the savior of the world.

Yes, Constance Verity was blessed as an infant by a fairy godmother who bestowed upon her the ability of mastering anything she puts her mind to. Anything. But she’s done with that life and all she wants is to g
Elaine
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is the first book I've read by Mr. Martinez and though I enjoyed parts of it, I didn't love it.

First, I enjoyed the magical, sci-fi qualities of the subplots we are never privy to; the zombie werewolves and ninja fights and overthrowing intergalactic governments Connie is always thwarting, subsuming and overcoming 10x a week.

But these varied and brief descriptions of her incredible adventures sometimes got to be...well...too much.

Secondly, Tia and Connie's friendship was underwritten, unde
Lauren
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
I've been a fan of A. Lee Martinez for quite a few years. I've read all but two of his books and I was so excited for this new one. Before I get to my reasons for the 2-star rating, I'll briefly say what I liked. I think Connie will grow to be a great character in the next books. She's likable and funny. I also liked the one-off examples of her past adventures, villain names, locales, etc.; although, it did get a little excessive, which was the point, so I'm not faulting it. Now, with the rest o ...more
Chris
I found it unreadable and only made it a few chapters in.
Rob
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, comedy
A good friend of mine said Martinez is one of his favorite authors and extremely funny, he was going to pick this book up and since I have never read anything by Martinez I decided to join him and start here.

Unfortunately, I either don't like Martinez's humor or this was not one of his strongest works. My said friend from above did say this was not one of his favorite books by him, so I may just give another one of his better books a chance to see how I feel.

The Last Adventure of Constance Veri
April
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. Quirky, snarky, trope-twisting plot with a delightfully strong and confident lead woman. Constance Verity just wants to be normal. Boring, even. Have a dull job she slightly dreads and a good dental plan, maybe. But adventures just keep getting in her way. So she decides her last adventure will be to make herself the boring life she thinks she craves.

This is a lot of fun. Think, woman Indiana Jones trying to "give up adventuring" but getting dragged into an adventure anyways. I can
Debbie
Feb 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
ho hum....started out lite, funny, but got boring. I kept putting it down and last night I went looking for a book to read because I forgot I was reading this one. I like lite and funny - those following my reviews will know that I am enjoy the various adventures of librarians and historians but this one just had no 'there' there - all cardboard. I am sorry to say that next month I probably won't even remember reading it. Not for me.
Soo
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Mini-Review:

3.5 Stars

Narration by Cynthia Farrell. I'm on the fence about the overall narration. She does a great job on the main character Connie but I feel rather blase about the other voices.

This is an absurd anti-hero story that is about a real hero. It makes light of the incredible & the incredulous. No topic is off limits and expect sardonic sarcasm on all fronts. I would love a TV series based on these characters. Done right, it would be a hilariously clever ride.
Zora
Aug 20, 2016 marked it as couldnt-get-into
Recommended to Zora by: Carly ultimately who recommended his books
I think this is better than my abandoning it suggests. I've been reading a lot of serious nonfiction lately, and I think I just couldn't bear the fluffy comedy nature of this in comparison.
Brendan
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I tend to struggle beginning Martinezs books, not out of boredom, the books just have a very visual world building style. I'm a little confused why Martinez has decided to use Constance Verity as the launching block for a series, I enjoy the one shots and this seems to be a backwards step to his style. I enjoyed the story, Connie was an interesting but deeply flawed heroine. The character of Hiro was the real fun and I found the story picked up the pace with him around. The usual Martinez out th ...more
Marc Jentzsch
Martinez has a way with light, comedic fantasy that clicks for me better than just about any other writer out there. Since Monster, I've been enthralled with everything he's written. Then I found out there is going to be a series? Sign me up.

Constance Verity is snarky, action-packed fun featuring a heroine with at least as many adventures predating our acquaintance as Raymond Reddington has accumulated. But Connie is a superhero, a superspy, a mystery...woman. She's in the mold of Remo Williams,
Cindy
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Roger
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Last Adventure of Constance Verity had me from the dedication: "...And to Doc Savage, the Man of Bronze." So of course I had to read it. I would have read it anyway-A Lee Martinez is a favorite author of mine. He knows how to mix action and comedy in satisfying proportions to craft a good story. I can still unhesitatingly give this book four stars even though the titular character's never ending whining about wanting to be "normal" preyed on my nerves. This is apparently the start of a serie ...more
D.L. Morrese
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Constance Verity is very good at saving the world. She can't really help it. It's a curse...literally, and she intends to track down the fairy godmother who cursed her. Thus begins her "final" adventure as a hero.

I always enjoy Matinez's books. They tend to have likeable characters, and they're funny without being overly absurd. Fairly absurd, perhaps, but not completely silly (e.g. the Xanth stories by Piers Anthony). And sometimes there is just a little bit more than you might expect. This st
Rpaul Tho
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I waited a while to read this one as it is the last A Lee Martinez that I haven't read yet. It did not disappoint. Love the quick wit humour and the ease at which his characters come to life. Can't wait for him to continuing writing!
Regan
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Liked Connie. Loved Tia and "ninja vanish!" Hiro. Fun, spoofy, cinematic caper.
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Entertaining. Kind of Buffy meets...I don't know? Hitchhiker's Guide? I'll probably read the sequel.
Lindsay Miltier
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun

This book is a fun romp through many cliches. It pokes fun at the action genre constantly without feeling boring.
Laura Jean
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Truly enjoyable book. It felt like Buffy the Vampire Slayer but with a larger scope of world saving....aliens and alternate universes in addition to monsters. Just a real fun read.
Alissa Roy
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a romp
Natascha
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this author. His books are always fun read with interesting characters and great stories. I was not disappointed with this book. Highly recommended.
quinnster
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was super fun!

A funny, light read with lots of action, some romance and a few tense moments. It was exactly the kind of book I needed!
Ben Mariner
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love A Lee Martinez so much. His books are always highly entertaining to me. This one was just missing a little something. I'm not sure what it was, maybe it was just the mood I was in while reading. I don't know. It's classic Martinez humor and everything, I was just wanting more of something the whole time.
The Irregular Reader
4.5 out of 5 Stars

Constance Danger Verity is destined for adventure. Literally. Just after she is born, she is blessed (or cursed) by a fairy godmother to a life of adventure, and a glorious death. It sounds extraordinary, but after two decades of nonstop adventure, Constance is bored with the constant adrenaline rush and just wants to try out something more normal. Sure, she's fought space pirates and ninjas and mummies, and saved the world-and the universe-a time or two, but she's never held d
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Holier Than Thou (The Tome of Bill, #4)
  • Shakespeare for Squirrels
  • Johannes Cabal and the Blustery Day (Johannes Cabal, #0.5)
  • Clovenhoof (Clovenhoof #1)
  • Dial D for Deadman (Dan Deadman Space Detective, #1)
  • Mechanical Failure (Epic Failure, #1)
  • The Rules of Supervillainy (The Supervillainy Saga, #1)
  • Waking the Moon
  • Sleeping Late on Judgement Day (Bobby Dollar, #3)
  • The Architect of Sleep
  • They Promised Me the Gun Wasn't Loaded
  • The Brothers Cabal (Johannes Cabal, #4)
  • The Mourning Woods (The Tome of Bill, #3)
  • Katya's World (Russalka Chronicles, #1)
  • Happy Hour in Hell (Bobby Dollar #2)
  • Pears and Perils
  • Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2)
  • The Fear Institute (Johannes Cabal, #3)
A. Lee Martinez was born in El Paso, Texas. At the age of eighteen, for no apparent reason, he started writing novels. Thirteen short years (and a little over a dozen manuscripts) later, his first novel, Gil's All Fright Diner, was published. His hobbies include juggling, games of all sorts, and astral projecting. Also, he likes to sing along with the radio when he's in the car by himself.

Constance Verity (2 books)
  • Constance Verity Saves the World (Constance Verity, #2)

News & Interviews

“You know I was never very good with violence.” “But you’re a ninja,” said Tia. “Ninja-slash-thief,” he replied. “Not ninja-slash-assassin. Similar basic training, but entirely different specializations. I don’t fight my way out of trouble. I disappear.” “That’s probably why they sent a ninja-slash-assassin to keep you from doing that,” 0 likes
“Jone-athan, I just want something to drink that isn’t coffee. I know that this offends your sensibilities, and I’m sure that any one of your coffees is this glorious wonderland of flavor experiences that will delight my senses now and forever. But I’m a Philistine, an uncultured fool who has been despoiled by a culture that loads me up with sugary beverages and processed foodstuffs. I could no more appreciate your unparalleled coffee nectar than I could understand the genius of whatever art-house auteur director you currently love or whatever obscure musical group you and exactly four of your friends listen to. I will never be cool like you. I will never understand the secret beauty of this world the way you do. So, give me a cider and your pity and/or contempt, and we can both get on with our lives.” 0 likes