Start by marking “Winning” as Want to Read:
Winning

Winning

House of Cards meets Election in this wickedly entertaining story about an uber-ambitious high school junior.

Whoever said being nice would get you to the top?

Certainly not Alexandra Miles. She isn’t nice, but she’s more than skilled at playing the part. She floats through the halls of Spencer High, effortlessly orchestrating the actions of everyone around her, making peopl
Published June 28th 2016 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Winning, please sign up.
Kate It's not about lesbians but there is a subplot involving lesbians.

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Some girls are born to wear a baseball cap without an ounce of irony. Think of those long-legged, gamine creatures whose tans are never fake-baked, whose shoulders are broader than those of their boyfriends, and who tend to have a pair of blindingly white sneakers they save for “dress up.”

Some girls are born wanting so desperately to blend in that they spend hours trying to coax their locks into one of those messy-bun-and-elastic-headband combos that are so on-trend.

I am not like any of those
Lola
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It’s my job to size people up. To see what’s hiding beneath the surface—and then use that to my advantage.

large

2016 provides us with such surprising, diverse new contemporary stories, that I’m not entirely sure I want 2017 to come knocking at my door.

I am speechless. I’m frowning, trying to remember the last time I fell so deeply in love with a contemporary book and I just… can’t… remember. Fantasy novels are the ones to usually steal my heart, but then Winning came along and broke the unbreaka
Wendy Darling
If Regina George wanted to be Homecoming Queen, there'd be hell to pay for anyone who got in her way.

This is pretty much the premise of the WINNING, which is immensely readable and keeps you on your toes. Just when you think one girl is about to swindle another, the other girl almost always manages to see it coming and turns the tables. I liked that we saw various different POVs, and that one of them was the Queen Bee herself, Alexandra Miles. She's a ruthless, manipulative schemer without an o
Natalie Monroe
"It's my job to size people up. To see what's hiding beneath the surface—and then use that to my advantage.

You see, I'm not like any of those girls.

No, I was born to wear a crown."

All those fantasy books comparing themselves to Game of Thrones might as well throw in the towel. This is the next Game of Thrones. A no-holds-barred, claws-out fight to the death for dominance of Spencer High.

Alexandra Miles is the undisputed queen of her high school. Think overachieving Regina George with more bi
Elise (TheBookishActress)
“I can't,” she moans. “I can't— I'm not—”
“Gay?” I finish for her.
“No,” she says. “It's not that. I'm not... out.”

Yes, the blurb makes this sound like pettiness and Mean Girls. And not to shit on Mean Girls, but this book is a whole lot darker. With less humor, more character development, and more intrigue (definitely more intrigue) this barely compares. The only thing they have in common is being awesome

// CHARACTER WORK

This book is about two girls, Lexie and Erin, competing for the crown of p
Dahlia
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was fun, and I'm sorry it's not getting more attention, especially with one of the POV characters being a lesbian who actually gets some. There was definitely more I wanted out of it - the POV divisions/who gets how much airtime and for what didn't really work for me (I didn't need Ivy or Sloane, personally, and I kept waiting for Erin, which I wanted for about a billion reasons), and the lack of depth of the characters kept me from having the right read on the plot until it was over, but t ...more
Taylor Knight
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked the concept of this book but I think it could have been better executed.
I didn't hate the characters but I also wasn't super into them. They all seemed pretty much the same and I couldn't really get invested in what happened to them. I liked the writing a lot though. I'd definitely be interested in other books by Lara Deloza.
Alexa
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I'm actually surprised to say that I liked Winning more than I thought I would. It reminds me of Mean Girls and Gossip Girl and Pretty Little Liars! I think it was a interesting to read about such an unlikeable character, who would stoop to such extreme lengths to get what she wanted. Pretty typical teen shenanigans BUT there were definitely a couple of things that surprised me!
autumn
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt-ch, mean-girls
this is a lot like if mean girls (the comparisons are inevitable and remarked upon in the book itself) was a drama - a lot smarter and more nuanced (if less funny). i love dramatic, bloodthirsty high school politics, and this definitely delivered. one thing i liked stylistically was that all the different characters' pov chapters really felt like different characters with their own voices (which is not something a lot of authors do imo). on top of all this, theres a lesbian couple with a happy e ...more
Alatea
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
So I started by hating all caracters (yes, all of them), rolling my eyes every time I met another high-school cliché and blaming myself for choosing yet another YA when I know that I am too old for them. But at some point I got into the great Alexandra's scheme and forgot to roll eyes and question my poor decisions. I guess it's obvious that this book is compared to the "Mean girls", but this comparison doesn't do it justice. "Winning" is not only way meaner, but also a bit less shallow and at l ...more
Jen Ryland
Jun 07, 2016 marked it as setting-aside-for-now
Mean girls and a cutthroat competition for homecoming queen. I read about 50 pages and while this did have its entertaining moments, I also feel like I've read/watched a lot of similar stories (Mean Girls, Glee, Heathers...) and at some point I realized that I just didn't care who was homecoming queen.

Read more of my reviews on YA Romantics or follow me on Bloglovin

Thanks to the publisher for providing a free advance copy of this book for me to review.
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got from YA Books Central.
Diversity Rating: 2 – It’s a Start!
Racial-Ethnic:
QUILTBAG: 4 (Sam is lesbian; Erin is either lesbian or bi, but it’s never specified)
Disability: 2 (Lexi’s mom is drug-addicted)
Intersectionality: 1

About five years ago, Charlie Sheen had a meltdown and coined phrase after phrase. One of them was “winning” and it seems apt that this novel has the title it does. Why? Because Winning the novel is just as ridicul
Mikayla
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
3.5 stars.

Winning had an enticing narration style that made you root for every character, even Alexandra. It was a nice variety of characters, each with their own motives. The end of the story was a little underwhelming, but I can live with that, since everything had been resolved.
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor

I consider Wining to be a pretty unique book. It's hard to come across books with the supposed "villain" as the main character, but it's even hard to find books where that "villain" is unapologetic. It was interesting for me to see all the scheming and ruthlessness done just to achieve the results that the school's "queen" wants.

However, the thing is, I wasn't really able to enjoy this book that much. At first it was entertaining and refreshing, but as the story went on, it just became dragging.
Andreea Pop
Dec 30, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: cover-love
That cover is totes adorbs.
Allison
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Looooooooooved the alternating viewpoints in this book, because they really kept everything moving and tense, and loved all the cute lesbian makeouts. A really fun, quick read, with great characters.

Can't quite put my finger on what fell short for me (view spoiler)

Really looking forward to what Deloz
Deanna Schwartz
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
REAL REVIEW COMING SOON.

Read this book RIGHT NOW! It has a whip smart protagonist, hilarious schemes, and lesbian sexy scenes! READ IT!!!!
Myndi
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I feel as if this book is unfinished. I love the way the characters ended up banding together to show the "mean girl" what was up, but the ending left me unsatisfied...what is the retaliation? Did she learn anything? I would be interested in seeing a sequel or at least some kind of epilogue or bonus story/chapter that shows us how Alexandra fairs after the events in the book.
Yzabel Ginsberg
(I got a copy through Edelweiss, in exchange for an honest review.)

I'm usually not much into "high school drama" (it's often too over the top for me, or perhaps my high school years were just too quiet and boringly normal, who knows), but this novel was quite pleasant to read, and what could've been total cliché characters were surprisingly fleshed out and interesting, in spite of fitting tropes.

Alexandra Miles is the expected Queen Bee, the one who'll no doubt become Homecoming Queen, like she
{Tracy Thai}
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dana
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
God, I didn't think it was possible to write contemporary Game of Thrones about a high school. I haven't read something like that...well...probably ever! I don't get it,why it is not all over the booktube or goodreads. I always thought people liked such kind of books. I hope it will get more hype in the future, because it is really worth it!
Lynsie Daniels
Why the hell should I care about Alexandra Miles's opinion of me? I think it has something to do with her freakishly strong magnetism. She's like the sun. You never really stop wanting to feel that warm, buttery light on your face. Even if you've been burned by it.

There's a good possibility that I'm being overly generous with my rating of this book for two main reasons: 1) My self-proclaimed guilty pleasure is trashy teen high school drama books - I absolutely DIED over reading PLL, and I bing
faith ✨
It took me FOREVER to find this book and the fact that only a Reddit post did so...wow
Lauren
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
I'm not actually sure I know where to start with this book. It was good in a I'm - scared - of - overachieving - girls kinda way. I felt like I was reading Mean Girls, but about Homecoming.... Anyone who lives in America, can you please enlighten me as to whether your schools are really like they are portrayed? If they are, I'm so glad I grew up in England!!

Alexandra Miles is our Grade A Psycho Girl who uses and abuses people to stay at the top. She tries to hide her horrible ways behind a sick

“I am – and always will be – Queen Alexandra Miles.”

This was a YA story about a girl desperate to be Homecoming Queen.

Alexandra was really quite a calculating character who planned for things really well, it was just a shame that she used her skills to take other people down! I did feel strangely sorry for her though, especially given her father’s death and the fact that
Madeleine
On one hand, this is delightful.

I love Lexi. She is so wickedly devious.

On the other hand, this is a book where a bunch of jealous bitches, including adults who should know better, treat an ambitious, determined teenage girl like shit because she has an alcoholic mother.

Lexi is too likable for that ending to feel triumphant. Instead, all of these side characters don't hold a candle to how charismatic she is, and it is a chore to wade through their bullshit. So what we got is a book that punis
Lauren R.
Settled on 4.5 stars. Seriously read this book if you enjoy and/or are fascinated by unlikable, terrible characters. Just wow. I'm really torn about a rating because it was so ridiculously addicting, like a trainwreck, but also so frustrating at the same time. The author did a really great job of making these awful people SO interesting; it's literally Mean Girls to the millionth degree. I loved the build-up and the edge-of-my-seat, pit in my stomach feeling the entire time. I'm also trying to f ...more
Cassie-la
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
ORIGINALLY POSTED: https://bibliomantics.com/2016/09/02/...

Mean Girls meets Election with a side of House of Cards in this story of one high school girl’s quest to win the crown: the homecoming crown that is. From fourth wall breaking to teen movie makeovers and epic betrayals, Winning is the guilty pleasure read to end all guilty pleasure reads — get ready to set aside all your plans when you pick up this one!
Florian Ques
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I've read this book three weeks ago I think, and to be straight-to-the-point, I quite enjoyed it. It was a fun, mindless read. Although the ending felt rushed to me, I liked the characters enough to keep a good memory of this piece. I love myself a good mean girl, but Alexandra felt a bit bland to me, especially at the end of the story. Perhaps a mean girl is efficient when you aren't in her head so that you don't know what drives her to be like this, I don't know.
Elizabeth
I'm really surprised this book isn't getting more attention! It was so much fun and made me have feels, even for the worst characters. It was like Mean Girls and She's All That, with a touch of Clueless, but it was all a tiny bit darker.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Crazy for Young A...: Winning by Lara Deloza → Start Date: July 2nd, 2016 5 12 Jul 02, 2016 08:27PM

• Inevitable and Only
  • A Season for Fireflies
  • The Mistaken Masterpiece (The Red Blazer Girls, #3)
  • The Truth
  • Transitions of the Heart: Stories of Love, Struggle and Acceptance by Mothers of Transgender and Gender Variant Children
  • Sorry For Your Loss
  • That Game We Played During the War
  • The Revenge Playbook
  • Love Match (The Academy, #2)
  • Canines, Crosshairs And Corpses (Brandywine Investigations, #1)
  • The Pursuit of Miss Heartbreak Hotel