Start by marking “A Season for Fireflies” as Want to Read:
A Season for Fireflies

A Season for Fireflies

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  549 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
A year ago, Penny Berne was the star of her high school’s theater department, surrounded by a group of misfit friends and falling in love for the first time. Now her old friends won’t talk to her, her new best friend is the most popular girl in school, and her first love, Wes, ignores her. Penny is revered and hated. Then, in a flash, a near-fatal lightning strike leaves P ...more
Published June 28th 2016 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about A Season for Fireflies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Season for Fireflies

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
It takes a lot anymore to truly impress me when it comes to this genre. There are so many young adult contemporary reads and sadly, most of them are so much alike that it is hard to tell one from the other, so it's with pleasure that I tell you, this read was not only heartwarming, but it truly did stick out.

The characters were just fun and memorable and yes, swoon worthy. Wes was someone that any person who keeps a list of book boyfriends, needs to add his name to the list because yes, he is t
Gabby
What the fuck?
This plot is all over the place.
Penny's Mom is an alcoholic and she's crazy and Penny's family situation is shitty and she's in love with this boy and there's so much high school drama and then Penny gets struck by lightning and loses her memory of the last year and a half..... Again I say: What the fuck?
I guess I shouldn't have been expecting much since I didn't like Rebecca Maizel's previous book Between Us and the Moon. It was actually on my worst books of 2016 list, but I want

“You’re in Providence Memorial. You were struck by lightning two days ago.”

This was a YA contemporary story about a girl hit by lightning.

Penny was confused in this book, which was understandable considering she’d been hit by lightning and couldn’t remember nearly 17 months of her life.

“I feel like a stranger in my own life.”

The storyline in this seemed to take a wh
Katie
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
The cover for this one caught my eye and the synopsis intrigued me. I've never read anything else by Rebecca Maizel but she's been on my list of authors to check out since I heard about her first book. I'm glad I chose A Season for Fireflies to read first because I enjoyed it immensely.

Pros:

Story: The story was pretty much perfect, in my eyes. I love anything to do with memory loss so I knew this one would capture my attention pretty easily. I'm pretty sure that the whole memory loss thing is no
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Penny is obsessed with the theater and so are her best friends. They live for it and have been preparing for their next show non-stop. After dealing with her mother's alcoholism and her wicked words, Penny decides to bail on her important role in the play as she can't handle the spotlight anymore. To make matters worse, she pushes her friends away. Obviously, this is completely out of character, especially when Penny starts getting vibes that her best friend, Wes, harbors feelings for her. This ...more
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
First I want to say that I have been in a reading funk lately. It seems to me every book I read is crazier than the next. First I read love stories, then I read action, then dystopian and back to love stories. I needed a change and this is the book that was a spark in my reading.

This is a story about a girl who has it all then loses it only to regain it and so much more. This story is written with such passion and the descriptions of people and places was amazing and the fireflies OMG. After rea
Jenna
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. This review also appears on my blog, Reading with Jenna.

A Season of Fireflies is a book about redemption and second chances. It’s a short and summery read if you’re looking for a quick contemporary but if you’re after something emotional with lots of character development, I think you’ll be disappointed.

This story follows Penny, a sophomore in high school who is dealing with some problems at home. Her mother is an alcoholic and it’s tearing her family apart and ruining her friendships
Kelli Spear
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this story of second chances and redemption!

I've been in a book funk for a little over a month now. Most books have been in the miss category lately, thanks to an exquisite book that released last month. When I first picked up A Season for Fireflies I wasn't sure if it was the right time. Even upon starting last night, I almost decided to put it down temporarily. Not because of the story, but I just wasn't sure if I'd give it my full attention. I am so glad I stuck with it!

Penny is a th
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't sure about whether I wanted to read this book or not. I saw a lot of people wanted to read it, so I just requested it as well. But then I saw that the Goodreads ratings weren't so high, and I had a teeny tiny panic attack about not liking this book. However, this is the only instance when I'm glad my opinion varies from everyone else because I actually really liked this one!

I haven't been able to connect to a main character for the books
Ally
Feb 01, 2018 added it
I think this book was very good it was very well written and it was very enjoyable
Lauren R.
That was cute! I really wish there was a bit more though; it's a short book and could easily have benefitted from at least 50 more pages. I needed some more info from before her accident so I'd have more FEELS when it came to the romance or friendship(s). There were some heavier topics that never felt like they got resolved, which ultimately impacted my rating too. I liked it and it was a SUPER quick read; I'd recommend it to some readers.

//Full thoughts//

I tore through this book pretty quickly
Megan
This was a very fast read, read it in one sitting, and I found it very enjoyable. Penny goes through a very dramatic experience, getting struck by lightning and then losing some of her memories. Because we see her before and after the event, I didn't feel as sorry for her when she learns how different her life is now. That she has a completely different set of friends and interests, though it was interesting watching her try and makes sense of why she changed. The ending was a little too perfect ...more
Bianca
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
“You don’t have to be a certain way just because people tell you that’s who you are. You don’t have to listen to them.”
Chase Coe
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If I could give A Season for Fireflies more than five stars, trust me, I would. I mean… I can give it more than five stars… this is my fucking blog. So… I give this book ALL OF THE STARS AND ALL OF THE FIREFLIES. I knew I’d be in for a treat because Between Us and the Moon was incredible. I think I read it in six hours in one sitting last summer. Ugh, Rebecca Maizel, what are you doing to me?!

“They think I’m just loud, funny Penny, top ten in the class and the party girl at Kylie’s side who neve
Celeste_pewter
So, I’m going to start off this review by confessing something: I fell out of love with reading and reviewing in the spring.

Without getting into the nitty gritty of it, there was an incident involving an author that made me question everything I had ever felt, learned or experienced as a reviewer. I couldn’t read a book without struggling, and being reminded of that incident. Eventually, I put all of my books down and just walked away.

But as the weather has gotten cooler and the nights longer, I
Eve (Functioning Insanity Reviews)

I received a copy of this book for an honest review.

This book was such a quick read. I flew through it in one sitting which is a great feeling to start and finish a book so rapidly and have that sense of completion.

That said this book hits one of those areas that I’ve seen pop up a bit more as of late, memory loss. Whatever the circumstance the memory is lost to a point and how life has changed. This always intrigues me and makes me wonder if I lost my mem
Peach
Have you ever seen fireflies up close? They’re super ugly, actually. Flying spiders. #TraumatizeYouIn5Seconds

Penny Berne has it all. Well, mostly. She’s a prime-time theater geek with a lovely plethora of friends, but when one of her best friends, Wes, decides to confess his undying love to her, she’s appropriately flabbergasted. Immediately, she backs out of the play she’s set to star in, leaving her friends crushed and Wes heartbroken.

Soon after, she becomes best friends with the resident quee
Suze Lavender
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Penny's first love has always been the theater. She loves being the center of attention and has the most fun when she has a big part in a play. She has a loyal group of friends who are just like her. Her best friend, Wes, is especially important to her and there might be more between them. While her life at school is going well for Penny things at home are rapidly going downhill. Because of this she takes a rash decision which changes the course of her life entirely.

Penny does no longer spend ti
Caitlin Bauer
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Received a copy from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

A SEASON FOR FIREFLIES by Rebecca Maizel is a contemporary YA novel about Penny, a high school theatre star who loses an entire year of her memory after being struck by lightning one night at a party. Penny learns she has become someone she doesn’t even know: popular, kind of mean, top of her class… She’s no longer an actress—the life of the party, nor is she a member of her childhood group of friends. As she attem
Lucie Paris
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was in the mood for something cute and since the synopsis was intriguing, I thought: Why not?
It was not my cup of tea even if the story was well written and enjoyable.

Sure, talking about living wth alcoolic parents was a great and interesting addition but I was not touched by the characters or embarked into the author's world. Something was missing.

But since I've read a lot of good critics, maybe it was just for me.

Lucie
Charlie
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Season for Fireflies by Rebecca Maizel

I LOVED this. I expected it to be just another contemporary YA, but it was so much more than that. This story shed light on alcoholism, amnesia, being different and that's okay. There are no bad guys. Everyone makes mistakes, but that doesn't make someone a bad person. Rebecca Maizel depicted that beautifully. This new release of hers makes me want to read all of her other ones. I can't wait.
Tissy
DNF at 58%. Shame, I liked the other book but this one was just too rushed and cluttered with no real development of characters or plot. I don't understand the MC and I think both sets of friends and her parents are awful. The love interest is also pretty crappy so I just didn't feel invested in the story.
Heather
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it
A sweet, quick read about friendship, second chances and self-discovery.
Cat
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute.

Liked this story. It was cute, and I liked how Lenny was able to find a middle ground between who she was and who she became. Hate the mom.
Kristyn - Reading to Unwind
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook

This is the second audiobook that I was able to complete that I got on loan from my library. This book was narrated by one person and told through the eyes of Penny who was struck by lighting and can't remember who she was or what happened prior to the lighting strike.

Penny was an interesting character to be the lead. At the beginning of the book we get a small glimpse into her life just as it was starting to fall apart and then skip ahead to a whole new life and then she losses her memory. I f
Allison Brunskill
I had really been looking forward to this since I loved Between Us and The Moon and maybe my expectations were too high because I just didn't like this. The book is short, which I felt was a hindrance since I didn't get a feel on who Penny was in either the beginning or before the accident. The change in Penny was so quick and I would of liked to see things with her and May to have taken a little more time to work out. I didn't feel a connection to Penny. I understand that some of this is beca ...more
Grace
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5 stars.

I had some trouble getting through it at the beginning but then I read over half of the book to finish it and that made it easier for me. The story was pretty good overall. I love books where the characters do theater because I'm a theater kid, too, so that was definitely a plus for this. The story was definitely better after Penny got struck by lightning, but until then I wasn't crazy about it. Overall, though, it was a sweet and meaningful story.
Dianna
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I only gave it 3 stars because I liked it but didn't love it. I decided to check this book out because I absolutely loved her first book. I understand this book was more about finding herself but I wished it had more romance and more Wes in the book. What can I say, I'm a sucker for romance.
Sheila
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A coming of age, coming to adulthood story. Some larger bits cringingly true to life, smaller parts improbable, a sprinkle of whimsy here and there for glittery accents. Really enjoyed the shifts and twists between friendships. Probably deserves 4 1/2 stars because I finished it in one go.
Rebecca
  • Lucky Girl
  • Wild Swans
  • My Unscripted Life

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)