Start by marking “The Abbey Court Murder (Inspector Furnival, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Abbey Court Murder (Inspector Furnival, #1)

The Abbey Court Murder

(Inspector Furnival #1)

“A crime of a peculiarly mysterious nature was perpetrated some time last night in a block of flats called Abbey Court.”

Lady Judith Carew acted furtively on the night of the Denboroughs’ party. Her secret assignation at 9:30pm was a meeting to which she took a loaded revolver. The Abbey Court apartment building would play host to violent death that very night, under cover
Published October 5th 2015 by Dean Street Press (first published 1923)

Susan
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first mystery featuring Inspector Furnival, published in 1923. Author Annie Haynes was one of many Golden Age mystery writers who were very popular in her day, but died in 1929 and her books were out of print for many years. I have enjoyed discovering some of these long forgotten authors and, although this mystery might be a little melodramatic for modern tastes, I found I soon became quite caught up in the story.

Lady Carew and Sir Anthony are attending a wedding, when Lady Carew is
John
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Before her marriage to Sir Anthony Carew, Lady Judith was, when scarcely more than a girl, briefly married to a wastrel gambler . . . only he turned out to be a bigamist so the marriage was no marriage at all, and later she heard that he'd died. Imagine her horror, then, one day in London, to discover that he's still alive -- and that he wants to reclaim her as his wife! At his insistence, she sneaks off to an apartment in Abbey Court to discuss things, but after she's arrived, armed as a precau ...more
Carolien
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, english-mystery
3.5 stars. An interesting plot and a good example of the classic English mystery genre. The main female characters were however too much given to swooning and melodrama for my taste. I will probably read the next in the series as the book was well-written and overall a slow, but enjoyable read.
Kim
I just finished reading The Abbey Court Murder by Annie Haynes. Never heard of it, never heard of her. So I looked her up. She was born in Leicestershire, in England I suppose, it's the only Leicestershire I know of. Her father, Edwin Haynes was an ironmonger, which is a really neat word, that I would have thought meant you worked in an iron mine or some such place, but it doesn't. According to the dictionary, I forget which one, an ironmonger is "a person or store selling hardware such as tools ...more
Anwen
Nov 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
The introduction states that the mystery is why Annie Hayes has been forgotten when Christie and others of her ilk are still read. Before I was a quarter of the way through this book, I knew there was no mystery. I found the plot derivative, weak, far too dependent on seeming coincidence and with far too many would-be red herrings employed. I'd worked out what was going to happen even before the murder occurred. A slight book and a disappointing murder mystery. I will not be seeking out any of t ...more
Jillian
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
My first Annie Haynes book. While she is a bit of a find, as a popular contemporary of Agatha Christie, I'm hoping her other books are a lot less melodramatic and a little less romantic. There were some promising elements - the police inspector, for example, but the melodrama really did get in the way of my enjoyment. I'll try another one, though.
Leslie
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, kindle, mysteries
While I was entertained by this Golden Age mystery, I found it irritating to have the story told primarily from Judith's point of view while hiding from the reader facts about her past which obviously she knew. It would have been better from her husband Anthony's point of view if the author wanted these facts hidden.

I was also a bit disappointed by the fact that Inspector Furnival does almost all of his detecting "off stage" and barely appears until the last quarter of the book. It was more lik
Pamela
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
A chance encounter in the street shocks and terrifies Lady Carew. She is persuaded to attend a late night assignation in the Abbey Court flats, but suddenly the lights go out, a shot is heard, and a man lies dead. Inspector Furnival follows the trail to the Carew's country house, but it becomes clear that this case is not as straightforward as the evidence would suggest.

This is a Golden Age mystery but rather a disappointing one. It starts out well with hints of secrets and lies, and a tense con
Damaskcat
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
The murder takes place near the start of this book but the reader doesn't make the acquaintance of Inspector Furnival for quite some time. Instead the story follows Lady Judith Carew who was at the dead man's flat when he was shot and killed. But who committed the murder? Who has a motive to kill the rather unpleasant victim? As he was living under an assumed name the police are to say the least, confused at first.

This is a well written story with some very clever plotting though I found it a tr
Jill
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Was obvious who had committed the murder, so the majority of the book was taken up with the history of the characters and their angst. Was much more a love story than a who-dun-it, but was quite interesting. The police inspector, who I had imagined would be the main character, didn't turn up until over half way through. Hoping to see more of him and how he works in future books.
Emma
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book but found the mystery a bit weak. The reveal at the end wasn't surprising, there were no twists and nothing in much in the way of intrigue going on. Still, a nice read.
Dale
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good period-piece mystery, in the genre of Sayers, Allingham and Christie
George
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
1st is the three Scotland Yard Inspector Furnival mystery series. Lady Judith Carew acted furtively on the night of the Denboroughs’ party after being accosted by a man from her past. She takes a loaded revolver to a secret meeting at his lodgings that night. The man is killed in a darken room and clues indicate Lady Judith is responsible.

Inspector Furnival investigates the case filled with many clues, many red herrings and the case takes numerous Christie like ploy twists before the murderer c
Gail
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Almost a Victorian Sensational Novel

Plenty of twists and turns make this an acceptable mystery story. Fans of romance will enjoy the love story aspect. But...mistaken identity, hideous hidden secrets, the beleaguered heroine; these all make for a sensational plot that’s overwhelming to the modern reader. There’s a legitimate reason that author Annie Haynes has been as acclaimed as her contemporary mystery writers.
Carolyn DeGroot
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Good plot but...didn't like the characters.

Too much fainting and sickness.Too many characters in the story. People are constantly coming and going too many teases about the characters
Sandy
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Judith's past comes back to haunt her and her future looks even gloomier after the events at Abbey court. This is a fun murder mystery with a sweet romance mixed in. It is rather predictable but a very entertaining read.
FR
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good and easy read. Lots of secrets and high emotions.
Jessica Powell
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
The writing style is rather florid and flowery, but the murder mystery is enjoyable enough.
E.L.
Nov 20, 2015 rated it liked it
An enjoyable look at more typical 1920s/30s detective fiction - some of what Christie, Sayers, and Marsh skewered ever-so-gently in their own works, in fact. (At more than one point I was reminded of Harriet Vane in Gaudy Night, as she attempted to make Wilfrid &co more than goops. Haynes did not even try.)

Was it drivel? Well, to be frank, yes. However, so are many cozy mysteries nowadays, just with a different slant due to being written in a different era. In any case, there was no harm in
John
Apr 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Quite a decent murder mystery but fairly easy to figure out who did what and why. Good snapshot of life at the time though. I quite liked Inspector Furnival who seems like a nice humane sort of fellow and I might well try some of Haynes's other books in this series. Good value from Kindle with very few typos.
Melissainau
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime
This is hard to rate - I enjoyed it enough that I bought other books by Annie Haynes, but the characters in this (particularly Judith) gave me the screaming irrits, because they were so spineless and dull.
Marla Knaack
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
A blanket on the couch book

A really twisty turns kind of mystery. Just the kind that are best. Not just one, but two surprises at the end! Thank you! Anyone who enjoys Agatha Christie will like it.
Kate
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
For my full review click on the link below:
GRAHAM
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Top notch

I found the story rather interesting to read enjoyable to read
and I recommend it to anyone who likes murder mysteries
Katherine Spivey
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Agatha Christie contemporary - well worth investigating!
Candy
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Decent read

I think this writer dropped the ball regarding wrapping the story up. We are left hanging with several primary characters. Which is quite disappointing.
Maria Paris
May 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Too sensational in character, and read more like a romance novel than a mystery. It was however very gripping, and sometimes alluring.
Victoria
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just want everyone to know what a marvellous author Annie Haynes is!
Sandy Voegtlen
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was like reading peanut butter. I kept waiting for it to get better, but it didn't. I didn't really like any of the characters. They all seemed flat and rather stupid.
Betty
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Have just discovered this author from the Golden Age of Mysteries. Her mysteries keep you on edge of your seat until the very end.

• Deadly Dram  (Whisky Business Mystery #3)
  • A Vow of Silence (Sister Joan Mystery, #1)
  • The Inspector's Daughter (Rose McQuinn, #1)
  • A Most Contagious Game
  • Bunburry - A Murderous Ride: A Cosy Mystery Series. Episode 2 (Countryside Mysteries: A Cosy Shorts Series)
  • A Killer Keepsake (Collectible Mystery #6)
  • A Literal Mess (Allie Cobb Mystery #1)
  • I Know What You Bid Last Summer (Sarah Winston Garage Sale Mystery #5)
  • Holy Bible: 1599 Geneva Bible
  • Empty Nest (Birds of a Feather Mystery, #2)
  • The Case of the Screaming Beauty (Inspector David Graham #1)
  • Novena for Murder (Sister Mary Helen, #1)
  • The Daffodil Mystery
  • Some Must Watch
  • Choked Off (The Falconer Files, #2)
  • Fixing to Die (Southern Ladies Mystery, #4)
  • Weeping on Wednesday
  • A Dark and Twisting Path (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #3)

Inspector Furnival (3 books)
  • The House in Charlton Crescent (Inspector Furnival, #2)
  • The Crow's Inn Tragedy (Inspector Furnival, #3)