Start by marking “Twilight / Life and Death (Twilight, #1, 1.75)” as Want to Read:
Twilight / Life and Death (Twilight, #1, 1.75)

Twilight / Life and Death

(Twilight #1, 1.75)

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  21,731 ratings  ·  4,587 reviews
Celebrate the tenth anniversary of Twilight! This special double-feature book includes the classic novel, Twilight, and a bold and surprising reimagining, Life and Death, by Stephenie Meyer.
Packaged as an oversize, jacketed hardcover "flip book," this edition features nearly 400 pages of new content as well as exquisite new back cover art. Readers will relish experiencing
Hardcover, Twilight Tenth Anniversary/Dual Edition, 738 pages
Published October 18th 2015 by Atom (first published October 6th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Twilight / Life and Death, please sign up.
Kay Apparently, it's a "gender-bent" version of Twilight... meaning that instead of Edward and Bella, we get Edythe and Beau. It seems like Meyer is…moreApparently, it's a "gender-bent" version of Twilight... meaning that instead of Edward and Bella, we get Edythe and Beau. It seems like Meyer is writing bad fan fiction about her own work now, but there it is.(less)

Steph Sinclair
No stars.

Disclaimer: I read to about 65%. Skim read to about 90% and read to the end. Also, this review will contain spoilers for the alternate ending that are not in spoiler tags.

Years ago, when Twilight was in its prime, someone told me that Breaking Dawn was never supposed to happen. That it was the book where Stephenie Meyer was given free reign to do whatever she wanted because the series was so popular, everyone would buy it regardless of quality, and rake in big dough-cheese for her and h
karen
Oct 06, 2015 marked it as oh-dear
e.l. james runs out of ideas and desperately rewrites Fifty Shades of Grey from christian's perspective.

stephenie meyers "celebrates" Twilight by swapping genders but maintaining heteronormative ideals.

e.l. james rewrites Fifty Shades of Grey but where they're all dalmatians this time.

stephenie meyers sets Twilight in johannesburg

e.l. james makes fifty shades of paper dolls

ladies - it's time to cut the cord on this and write some new shit.

come to my blog!
Emily May
Oct 06, 2015 marked it as lost-interest
For one beautiful moment, I thought this wasn't so bad. I mean, yeah, it's Twilight... but "gender bent retelling"?

An LGBT Twilight?! That's cool!

But no. This is not a gay Twilight between Beau and Edward, but another straight Twilight between Beau and Edythe. She just swapped the genders. Not in a transgender way either... in a "I don't have any new ideas" way.

Meyer, please:

Kat O'Keeffe
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was funny and weird and FASCINATING and I had such a good time reading it! I just loved seeing how everything unfolded from this different perspective. It made Twilight fresh and exciting again, and I really enjoyed it!
Lexie
Oct 06, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: not-my-thing
description

(Somewhere in the distance, Robert Pattinson's mouth is agape in a silent scream of terror.)

Meanwhile, the fanfiction spinoff is already in the works...

Anne
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Die-hard Twitards...like me.
*rubs hands together with glee*
Sparkle for me, bitch!

description

Annnnd that was how I felt before I read it.
Yep. I was one of those 5 people who didn't automatically 1 star this sucker.
Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Because it certainly looks like Meyer is milking the cash cow pretty hard when you look at the price tag. $13 for the Kindle edition?!
But in all fairness, you are not only getting this (admittedly weird) re-imagining of Twilight, but the real book, as well. For those of you with a
Darth J
Oct 06, 2015 marked it as not-my-cup-of-tea
Great. Just imagine the fan fiction...

Whitney Atkinson
(disclaimer: i love stephenie's writing and the twilight saga)

This is the only book that I have EVER bought and in the same day, returned it.

I jumped into this blindly because it's been so long since Stephanie Meyer has done ANYTHING (seriously) and although at first I was skeptical, I had to admit, I missed her writing, so I picked this up from target today. At home, I sat down to skim through the first few chapters, and then realized on page one my mistake of buying it without looking into it
Liz* Fashionably Late
Oct 06, 2015 marked it as not-gonna-happen

I bet E. L. James is doing the happy dance right now.
Natalie Monroe
Oct 07, 2015 marked it as morbidly-curious

The Twilight series is a vampire. It won't die unless you burn it with fire.
Christy
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
3ish stars...

photo 13AD04D7-022E-4BF1-B699-A720099B6EED_zpsj9ayg3at.jpg

Everyone has that one book or one series that really turned them into a reader. I’ve been a reader for as long as I can remember, but I was one of those readers that read maybe 2-3 books a month. Then the month after I graduated nursing school in 2008, I picked up this book called Twilight. I was OBSESSED. I bought all 4 of those books and read them in less than 4 days. I didn’t sleep, I didn’t study for my nursing boards. I was consumed. Then, a month or two later, I dragged my hu
♛Tash
Oct 06, 2015 marked it as no-thanks
When does it end?

Paige  Bookdragon
Oct 06, 2015 marked it as never
EDIT:Gonna add more Jimmy.Just because.

Some trees are going to be sacrificed for this shit.

|0.1 I just want to drink until I forget about this stars|

This has been a really bizarre experience for me and I don’t know how to feel. Just..., Stephenie.

description

I wanted to give this book or whatever, the chance I felt it deserved. See, Twilight was the catalyzer of my reading life. It was Twilight who introduced me to YA and that helped me find this community. It was because of Twilight and its movies that I found a lot of things and people I love till this day so having this book released, in honor

I love the idea of a gender-bent re-imagining of a story but this, I just don't know if I hate myself enough to read this.

Jacqueline
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
10/15/15
FINALLY HERE IS MY BOOK REVIEW!! I filmed this right after I finished Life and Death (it's non-spolier btw) :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p47Z1...
__________________________________________________
10/12/15
As I mentioned before in this review I adore the Twilight Saga and I own so much to that series. When reading this book there were moments when I just got so overwhelmed. I would just randomly start crying because it felt like I was thrown back in time to when I was in the fifth grade
Julio Genao
Oct 08, 2015 marked it as no
dude, that shit don't work on me no more.

description

this is what happens when the fanfic ethos of gleeful theme-spelunking meets the cold, hard, sixth avenue reality of having to come up with the odd original idea now and again.

call me crazy, but if this thing were free, queer, and set in AU england with steampunk accoutrement i would srrsly read the absolute shit out of it.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I can see that I wasn't the only one hoping that this "gender-bending twist" was a gay version of Twilight.

Yonaily
I put my head down, pretending to stare at my book, as soon as her eyes released me. It bothered me—the rush of emotion pulsing through me, just because she’d happened to look at me for the first time in six weeks. It wasn’t normal. It was actually pretty pathetic, and probably more than that. Unhealthy.

And yet here we are....

DNF at 30% because life's too short for shitty books.

I made the huge mistake of thinking this could actually be something good. I thought Stephenie Meyer wanted to fix h
Tatiana
Oct 06, 2015 marked it as lost-interest
This must be a joke, right?
Vanessa J.
Oct 06, 2015 marked it as would-not-even-touch
Shelves: lolz-ridiculous
From the synopsis of this edition:

I'm seriously worried about the future of the human race. "The classic novel Twilight" and its "bold and surprising reimagining"... Excuse me while I weep for the future generations.
Kai
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, finished-series
“Try not to get caught up in antiquated gender roles.”

I freely admit that I'm a Twilight fan. I mean, the movies were bad (which didn't keep me from going to the cinema on the day of the release) but there is so much hate for the books. And Stephenie Meyer really doesn't deserve this.

Anyway, I was amazed when I heard of this 10th anniversary edition. And if you liked Twilight , you will like Life and Death because it is pretty much the same, just more confusing.
The genderswap changes everyone
Manny
Oct 07, 2015 marked it as not-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Q: What's little and brown, stinks, and might be found down a toilet?

Give up?

A: Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined.

[Well, it's published by Little and Brown and it stinks. But you should restrain your natural impulses if you don't want to spend the rest of the evening fishing things out from the U-bend. I'm afraid 752 pages just won't flush away like you're hoping it will]
Sh3llraiser (grumpybookgrrrl)
No no no no no.

Okay, I admit I had my doubts at first, but then because I love Twilight so much, I decided I had no choice but to read this and ended up looking forward to this "reimagined" version. Only, aside from the alternate ending and a couple other scenes, there wasn't much reimagining going on. The alternate ending, I admit, was kind of cool, but then most of it ended up being a recapping of the rest of the series and a huge unnecessary info dump.

I guess I can't help it. I can't picture
Rosa, really
Oct 06, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: ya

Why the hell can't Meyer write something else? Edythe? Beau? Ew.

I'm totally reading the fuck out it.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
WELL THAT ENDING WAS UNEXPECTED! I have so much to say about this! Here's my video review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo0XP...
  • Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, Volume 1
  • Peta (The Elemental Series, #3.5)
  • Suicide Ride: The Platinum Man (Suicide Ride, #1)
  • Princeless, Vol. 4: Be Yourself
  • iZombie, Vol. 4: Repossession
  • Sun Damage (Sunshine, #3)
  • The Wizard King (Heart's Desire, #3)
  • Revealing Eden (Save the Pearls, #1)
  • Some Act of Vision
  • The Gleaning (The Spellspinners of Melas County, #2)
  • Marrying Ameera
  • How to Discipline Your Vampire (DommeNation, #1)
  • The First Principle (Emancipation Warriors, #1)
  • Ashes in the Sky (Fire in the Woods, #2)
  • A Vampire's Salvation (Beyond Human Novellas, #1)
  • Naga's Concubine (Chronicles of the Shifter Directive #4)
  • Children of the Flower Power
  • Kasumi, Volume 2 (Kasumi, #2)
I was born in Connecticut in 1973, during a brief blip in my family's otherwise western U.S. existence. We were settled in Phoenix by the time I was four, and I think of myself as a native. The unusual spelling of my name was a gift from my father, Stephen (+ ie = me). Though I have had my name spelled wrong on pretty much everything my entire life long, I must admit that it makes it easier to Goo ...more

Twilight (4 books)
  • Twilight (Twilight, #1)
  • New Moon (Twilight, #2)
  • Eclipse (Twilight, #3)
  • Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4)
“Try not to get caught up in antiquated gender roles.” 26 likes
“I thought about falling to my knees on purpose. This was the kind of beauty you worshiped. The kind you built temples for and offered sacrifices to. I wished I had something in my empty hands to give her, but what would a goddess want from a mediocre mortal like me?” 12 likes