Start by marking “Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)” as Want to Read:
Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)

Loyalty in Death

(In Death #9)

#1 New York Times bestselling author J. D. Robb's phenomenal series has captivated readers with it tantalizing blend of romance, suspense, and futuristic police procedural. Now, New York cop Eve Dallas returns to face her most ingenious foe -- a "secret admirer" who taunts her with letters...and kills without mercy.

LOYALTY IN DEATH

An unknown bomber is stalking New York Cit
Published December 1st 2004 by Piatkus Books (first published April 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Loyalty in Death, please sign up.
Monica Kelly I started in the middle of the series last year. This year I decided to start from the beginning, start with book 1 and work my way through the series…moreI started in the middle of the series last year. This year I decided to start from the beginning, start with book 1 and work my way through the series. Best decision I made, relationship and back stories make sense and I feel as if I'm part of the family. Every character matters, when someone gets hurt or falls in love I laugh and cry. This is a great series.(less)
Timelord Iain With your eyes (Hardcover / paperback / e-book) or ears (audiobook).

Start your review of Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
4 Stars

God, I love this series.

Let's count the ways...

1) Eve and Roarke (duh)

Eve and Roarke are just one of my favorite couples ever.

I love them, both independently and as a couple.

description

2) Robb/Robert's writing.

It's direct and concise, and it skips superfluous shit you don't need...

"Anne rose, moved to the the board. The next thirty minutes were technical: electronics, triggers, timers, remotes, materials. Rates of detonation, scope of impact."

But is also filled with eloquent, writer-y descri
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Another fantastic book from J.D.Robb and I highly recommend this series to you! <3

And let me tell you this (again and again), OMG I'll never, ever get tired of reading this series because I love Roarke & Eve so freaking much. :)

Ps. Oh let's not forget Peabody & McNab too! I cannot wait to read how their relationship will go grow... :D

----------------

I love everything about between Roarke & Eve but I love him more when he does this kind of things.... Ah I better just shut up, pls do me a favor a
Mo
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read. Honestly, the mystery/suspense kinda went over my head in this one. I wanted more of Eve and Roarke but I don't think that is going to happen in this series... she has her job and the criminal activities are to the fore of the books. Eve and Roarke are in there, to whet our appetites.

Out of the dark, out of the delicate mist, the lady rose up.

"What's this?"
"I think it's a very sick, mutant rose. I bought it for you."
It was so rare to see Roarke taken by surprise, she ne
Phrynne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Number nine in my reread of this series and I had seriously forgotten how good these earlier books were. I was amazed in this one at how involved Roarke was in Eve's work having thought this was something which developed later in the series. Loved the relationship between Roarke and Eve ( reach for the tissues!) and laughed out loud at all the Eve/Roarke and Eve/Peabody interactions. An easy five stars:)
Jilly
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I liked the personal story with the side characters better than the actual storyline of the bomber. I don't know why the bombing thing didn't do it for me as well as the past murderers, but I think it is because the serial killer books felt less impersonal. The bombings were just giant catastrophes that felt sad, but not personal at all. Plus, the Twin Towers were mentioned as still being there. And, it was a story about bombing monuments and such. Kind of depressing.

On a less depressing note: m
Carol
5 stars. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
So HAPPY to finally get back on track with this exciting and engaging series, this book has to be a new favorite of mine. Loved the storyline. ❤

Eve and Roarke's devotion to each other are always a thrill for me but I was really caught up here with Eve and Peabody's growing working relationship and their mutual respect for each other. 👍
The bonus for me here was getting to meet Peabody's brother Zeke and witnessing the fruition of the escalating sexual attraction and tension that has
Cyndi
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I adore these books, but this one isn't my favorite in the series. Maybe I reread it too close to 9/11 and it just made me too sad, or maybe it was just too much wanton destruction. But it was hard to connect to any of the characters except, of course,
McNab and Peabody. "If I don't have sex with you, I think I'm going to die." "If you'd die, I wouldn't have this problem." Ah, young love. *sigh*

Reread July 2018 — My feelings on this book have improved with time. Although the wanton destruction in
Irene Sim
4,5 stars!

What a great story! For the first time I didn't want so much of Eve and Roarke as I was starving for Peabody and McNab. Could you believe these two? Their chemistry is explosive (bad choice of adjective as the villain was a bomber and the explosions were really nusty, but still...).
I loved the addition of Zeke, Peabody's brother, to the story and how J.D. Robb implicated him in the plot. I loved Mavis soft side and how she handled the situation with Zeke after the revelations. But I h
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
I loved this book... I really did! I loved the intriguing story, the unbelievable plot twists and all that "cop work".

But I hated both Roarke and Eve in some parts of the book. They both have a problem with boundaries....as in, they have none! Eve had no business trying to run Peabody's and McNab's personal life(something she also did with Peabody and Charles). The girl needs to learn that some things she needs to get her nose out of!

And Roarke should have more respect for Eve's job and only int
♥Sharon♥
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Still disorganized with no time for a proper review.

LOVED IT. LOVED IT. LOVED IT. LOVED IT. LOVED IT. LOVED IT.

You get the point.

❤ Roarke & Eve.....everything about them.

and

❤ Peabody & McNab.....these two make me laugh.

Wendy'sThoughts
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: J.D. Robb Fans
4.5 Nothing Can Break Them Stars
* * * *1/2 Spoiler Free
This entry was a little different yet the same chemistry and addiction for Eve and Roarke. The story line had a lot of layers to follow and the added bonus of the Peabody and McNab relationship developing.

I didn't do five full stars, although there were wonderful moments, because I figured out very early on the who/what/where and how of the tale. I still enjoyed it and my affection for these two main characters just grows and grows.

~~~~~ Be
Catherine
First off, I have to thank the author for finally bringing all that sexual tension in between Peabody and McNab to a boil. And in such a dramatic way! The fact that Feeney witnessed it (and was disturbed by it) was simply icing on the cake for me. Such a hilarious scene. I simply loved them in this book. :D

We get introduced to a new character here. Zeke, Peabody's brother comes to town. I loved that we got a deeper look at Peabody and her family, but he was a little too childlike for me. I didn'
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that part way through this book I was deciding if this was a series I would give up. Facing the crisis that she did in the last book, I thought Eve would grow as a person, but nope, she was back to her old bullying ways. She continues her rudeness and everyone in her life just accepts it. Why? I just wasn't sure that I could read 30 +more books with a lead character that I dislike so much.
Well a funny thing happened about halfway through. Eve actually went too far and Roarke actu
Jaya
Reading this series mostly feels am watching my fave crime/mystery tv series. Each instalment is like an episode. Some are good, some aren't so, while the going-ons in the lives of the MCs and SCs keep it engaging and interesting.
This instalment, felt a little weak as far as the ongoing mystery was concerned (view spoiler). For me, the story only picked up pac
Carolyn
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: futuristic, crime
Another excellent instalment in this great series. Eve and Roarke have been married 6 months now are their relationship has really started to cement however Eve still suffers from some insecurities that cause her to give Roarke a hard time and she also dislikes him getting too involved in her work. Despite all that they make a great team and Roarke's help is invaluable when time is of the essence and the obtaining of sensitive data or new fangled equipment is involved.

In this volume of the serie
Shawna
3.5-4 stars - Romantic Suspense/Sci-Fi/Futuristic/Thriller

Although I continue to love this series and can never possibly get enough of Roarke, this was my least favorite so far. Eve's not always an easy character to like, but she seemed particularly bitchy this time around. Normally I understand her gruff, moody personality and respect her tough, no-nonsense attitude, but she grated on me in this one. The suspense plot was a bit confusing and felt too abruptly resolved. Still, this series is bri
Chan
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AUDIOBOOK

Hands down this one is my favorite so far. This book. My gosh. I almost listened to this all in one go, but I needed to do things like work, eat, shower...you know, the necessities.
On to the next!
Kathy Davie
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous
Lisa Kay
“I ♥ Roarke” tee-shirt from www.jdrobb.com
description

★★★★★ Okay, I can’t believe I read the paperback instead of listening to the fabulous Ms. Ericksen on audiobook, but I did. I had to have my Roarke fix, LOL! Some of you may know, I did the stupidest thing and, after listening to the first few chapters, erased my library copy of the downloadable audiobook of this one from my iPod/Touch, putting me back on the waitlist at #5. I checked the stacks – and even the hardcopies were checked out! Eep! So, I
Somia
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 STARS

In Loyalty in Death, Eve faces a terrorist organisation known as Cassandra that is targeting public and highly populated areas with bombs and creating an ever increasing body count. The organisation claims to be a revolutionary group that aims to improve society and vanquish the corruption of the rich. It's a race against time to stop them and save those she knows.

Peabody & McNab in this were ace, looking forward to more from the two.

I enjoyed meeting Peabody's brother Zeke. It was int
Christa
The one where Peabody and McNab finally get together.

“What the hell was McNab doing around last night, anyway? I didn’t take time to find out.”
“I’d say that was obvious.”
When Eve only stared at him blankly, Roarke laughed. “And you call yourself a detective. He’d been with Peabody.”

Oh and there’s a bombing plot. It wasn’t the strongest plot and there’s a surreal moment because there’s a terrorist group and the twin towers are mentioned still standing (this one was before 9/11). But there’s st
Lena
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

An old terrorist organization has come back from the dead to terrorize New York. They might have bombs, anonymity, funding, and time but New York has Eve fucking Dallas.

No contest.
MelaDWolf
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
In review of last book I said I can't give this series less than 5 stars, and here I am giving it four.
Rachael*Caribbean*girl*bibliophile
Spoilers ahead, 2.5*

A seemingly simple murder case where a woman confesses to murdering her husband unexpectedly ties in to a group demanding money and bombing popular buildings in New York. Peabody's brother presents an unexpected complications when he supposedly kills a man but Eve's on the case and is able to connect the dots to find her murderers but unfortunately not before hundreds of people are killed
This author is great at the suspense but the emotions need some help, Eve comes across as
Lana *Lifeinwordsandlyricscom*
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I could always count on Eve, Roarke and Peabody to lift my book spirit after a couple of hickups down the road. There's just something about them. They feel comfy and good and right, like a balm to sooth a frazzled mind. That's why I'm hoping to spread this series through my entire run on this blue bubble and with a book count nearing 50 so far - it's pretty doable.

Over and out
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reading
One of the more "explosive" books in the series! Liked meeting Zeke Peabody - added yet another dimension to the ID world.

1999 was the year that this book was published, so referral to the Twin Towers stands out now and what a coincidence that the "Arlington" explosion took place in September 25, 2023 - wow.

I liked this book because of the story line for starters, the angst among the characters, meeting a Free-Ager, and of course the Eve and Roarke story! And I can overlook Boston being in the S
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
*Reread in October, 2016. Another good one in the In Death series! I found this case to be intense & complicated. As always, I find Eve's mind fascinating as she works through cases. I enjoyed meeting some of Peabody's family with her brother's visit as she is easily my favorite of the "side" characters. The character relationship development is ever evolving and my favorite part of this series. Roarke is . . . simply Roarke - Perfect! A Must Read! ...more
Kjen
Always awesome...no matter how many times I read it! This is early in the series, and Eve and Roarke are still 'feeling out the boundaries'...so to speak. This makes for a perfect mix of tension and passion. Omg...the ending on top of the Statue of Liberty never gets old...epic awesomeness abounds, indeed!
Al *the semi serial series skipper*

I liked this one but the villains left much to be desired, their motive did not quite gel as the other books in the series. Still an enjoyable ride.

Peabody and McNab <3
J.D. Robb : Loyalty In Death Buddy Read - Oct. 2016 68 49 Jul 15, 2017 04:05AM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Loyalty In Death (Jan. 2014) SPOILER ZONE 126 75 Jul 15, 2014 09:45AM
Readers of Kindle...: Loyalty in Death #9 3 11 Feb 10, 2012 03:22AM

• Hot Rocks
  • Hideaway
  • Unofficial Series List - J.D. Robb - In Order: In Death novels, novellas, and short stories
  • The Last Honest Woman (The O'Hurleys, #1)
  • Night Smoke (Night Tales, #4)
  • Festive in Death: by JD Robb | Summary & Analysis
  • Storm of Shadows (The Chosen Ones, #2)
  • Apple of My Eye (Tiger's Eye Mystery #7)
  • Concealed in Death: by J. D. Robb -- Review
  • Storm of Visions (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • Under Currents
  • Silenced by the Grave (City of Bones Book 2)
  • The Quinns' Christmas (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #3.5)
  • Return to Virgin River (Virgin River, #19)
  • High Noon
  • Dance of the Gods (Circle Trilogy, #2)
  • Death's Avatar (Descent, #0.5)
  • Sanctuary
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Shadows in Death(St. Martin's Press, September 2020) is ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 52 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)