Start by marking “Dead of Night” as Want to Read:
Dead of Night

Dead of Night

(In Death #25.5 - Eternity in Death)

Nora Roberts, writing as J.D. Robb, puts futuristic lieutenant Eve Dallas in a supernatural showdown with a most seductive criminal: a vampire in "Eternity in Death."

An ancient coin whisks an American woman and a modern-day earl into the past-and into each other's arms-in a stirring tale from Mary Blayney's "Amy and the Earl's Amazing Adventure."

When a city girl visits
Mass Market Paperback, 394 pages
Published October 30th 2007 by Jove Books

To ask other readers questions about Dead of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead of Night

Start your review of Dead of Night
Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams
Dead of Night (In Death)

Four story of walking on the dark side. Eve and Roarke hunts a vampire or someone who think he is one. Good read.
Ye'Vell Hopkins
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed three out of the four stories. It was a good way to pass the time on a few rainy days.
Kara Jorges
Dec 19, 2012 rated it liked it
As with most anthologies, this one offers some good novellas sandwiched between others of lesser caliber. Naturally, the JD Robb story, “Eternity in Death,” is excellent, fast-paced, and devoid of any cloying story elements as recurring characters Eve Dallas, husband Roarke, partner Peabody, and the rest of her usual team go after a dangerous con man and killer who preys on foolish young socialites. This story had a very dark feel and would have set the stage nicely for something in a similar ve ...more
Amanda
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
I, like a lot of people it seems, only picked up this book because of the Eternity in Death story. As a JD Robb "In Death" story goes, I really liked it - it was a bit different from the average In Death story. The vampire theme was fun and added supernatural elements without going past reality into true supernatual territory, which in my opinion doesn't belong in Eve Dallas' world (unlike Haunted in Death which took the supernatural too far).

As an anthology on the whole, Dead of Night did not make much sense
Beth (moonivy)
Oct 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: J.D. Robb fans
Read 11/2/07
Publication Date : 2007
Dead of Night is an anthology of four novellas, of which the reason to read it is J.D. Robb's Eternity in Death. I readily admit that I'm an "In Death"
junkie - any book that includes Roarke is an immediate buy for me. That aside, the last few In Death books have been vaguely disappointing. I'm
rather cheered by this novella, it's snappy and the dialogue is brightly written, with Eve and Roarke *sounding* true to themselves. Despite being
about a vampire kill
Vanessa
Jun 12, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: j-d-robb, wishlist, keep
This is a book with 4 Novellas. I've already read the J.D. Robb stories but not some of the others. The one included in this book is Eternity in Death. Eve is investigating a murder in which it appears that the victim was done in by a vampire. The case does lead Eve and her team to some interesting places and people. Roarke's a little in to the woo-woo (well, you can't be too careful, can you?), and that makes for some interesting moments as well, especially since Eve can't believe him and Peabo ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
May 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
I always buy these yearly anthologies simply for the new Eve Dallas/Roarke novella by J.D. Robb. She doesn't disappoint with ETERNITY IN DEATH, which centers around an evil psychopath who truly believes himself to be a vampire.

Mary Blayney's story, AMY AND THE EARL'S AMAZING ADVENTURE, actually didn't make much sense to me, and I didn't finish it.

Ruth Ryan Langan writes a really good Scottish time travel story with TIMELESS. Although I don't really like historicals, I enj
RaChelle Holmberg
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Downloaded from my public library, this was a great collection of four novellas. I chose it for the JD Robb " In Death" story, which was my favorite, but really enjoyed two more stories (time travelling highlander, in particular) but the last one ( magic carpet) has me completely stymied. Quite convoluted and just didn't come together for me, but, that said, it's making me think. I recommend the book,
Valerie Robertson
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I only read the short story by JD Robb associated with the In Death series. It was a good short story, and like other "short stories" too short. Too quick to the conclusion, but normal for this format. I'm not a big vampire fan, so didn't really get into the story. But it was well written and a quick, short break into Eve's world.
Katie
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Only read Eternity in Death.
I liked this one. The whole vampire vibe. Short and punchy. No wonder the killer was batshit, with all the chemicals he as taking, no ones brain would function properly. The stake!! Never gonna live that one down with Baxter. Snicker. Roarke's possessiveness. Yum.
Julie
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was actually my second or third read of it. I purchased it when it first came out.
Gotta hand it to a guy who thinks he's a vampire, and is actually evil to his core. But Eve still gets the best of him.
The rest of the stories are good too.
L.
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished, own
Unfortunately I had read the first story, Eternity in Death, previously in another book. The second one, "Amy and the Earl's Amazing Adventure" was cute and funny. The third one, Timeless, was O.K. but not my cup of tea and the last one was a yawn.
Shirley
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vampires

Short story with people believing in vampires. Eve handles it. I really liked the ending. Spoiler: A cross and a stake! What an ending!
Nicole Mole
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great short story!
Irene
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
J.D. Robb story was the best. Only liked one of the others.
Maura
Cherisse
Ladysatel
4 stories by different writers make up this book.
1. Eternity in Death by J.D. Robb has Eve Dallas and Peabody chasing after a "vampire" offering eternal life to the cities rich and bored. There is something about the proprietor of the underground club, but is he really a supernatural being?

2. Amy and the Earl's Amazing Adventure by Mary Blaney a tourist is given a coin by a docent at an private London museum. While examining the coin at a local pub she is approached by a man wh
Dharia Scarab
Haven't read the J.D. Robb story yet because I'm not that far in the series.

The stories by Mary Blayney and Ruth Ryan Langan were good.

Didn't care for the story by Mary Kay McComas in this book though.

1 star... This book was bad, so bad I may have given up and skipped to the end. I will avoid this author like the plague
Visnja.Max
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stephanie Tuell
Mar 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: j.d. robb fans. sci-fi romance fans.
i only got this book for the story by j.d. robb, but i read the rest.
ETERNITY IN DEATH
this was kind of a switch from the normqal j.d. robb books. in this one, she has to battle a 'vampire'. eve drags peabody, roarke, and her other cop friends deep underground to capture a murderer.

AMY AND THE EARLS AMAZING ADVENTURE
this story wasn't so bad. amy finds herself wisks away with a handsome guy to find out some secrets about his family.

TIMELESS
i wasn't c
Maria
Four stories of which the first, Eternity in Death by JD Robb and the reason I bought the book, and the last On the Fringe by Mary Kay McComas, were the best. Eternity in Death was intriguing but bloody - yuck - as many of the In Death books are. Still, a vampire motif is something new and different. The last story dealt with a "what might have been" theme with a twist that I found intriguing, especially since it dealt with a marriage where the kids are mostly grown up and the adults have reache ...more
Ruth Violet
i really loved the first 3 stories. those were really enjoyable. first one was eternity in death-J.D. robb. first story i read from her. it was awesome. the second was: amy and the earl's amazing adventure-mary blayney. awesome read. first novel i have read from her also. and third one was: timeless-ruth ryan langan. scottish highlander prince. so very yummy. i want one!!! awesome story. first story i have read from her too. but i will definitely look more up. from those writers. the last story: ...more
Nancy
Nov 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I am only rating the JD Robb novella. I actually liked this story as one of Robb's best.
I began reading the other stories but couldn't get past the first couple of pages of each. The story by Mary Blayney was written so badly I almost didn't even try the others. I thought "Timeless" by Ruth Langan had some potential until the heroine's clothes were thought to be barbaric and no one noticesd the zippers and buttons, much less the modern shoes. By page 8 of "On the Fringe" I didn't like any of th
The Listmaker
Dec 03, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: anthologies
In one word: Disappointing.

I got this book because of the In Death short story by Nora Roberts writing as JD Robb; and even that was not Ms. Roberts' best work.

From what I read of the rest of the stories they seemed to be written for and by tweens. It was if I was reading the results of an assignment in Romance Writing Lite. And perhaps most disappointing, it even seemed as if Nora was affected and wrote a sugary sweet story that, pardon the pun, had no bite.

I was so disappointed
McKenzy Martin
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book a lot. My favorite story is Timeless. I've read it over and over and over. I love the relationship between Con and Lorel!

I can't decide what my second and third favorite would be because it's a VERY close tie between On the Fringe and Amy and the Earls Amazing Adventure. Both are great stories. Very romantic.

As for my least favorite, I've heard wonderful things about J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts), but I actually wasn't all that crazy about Eternity in
Merin
Nov 03, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007
I was interested in this book because I like J. D. Robb. That must have been what they were counting on, because the other three stories were not really of a similar theme. I guess they were hoping that the vaguely supernatural aspects of the mystery would make the anthology work, but it just didn't for me. I did enjoy the story about the coin, but the other two just weren't my style. I found the story about the rug very hard to follow - I found myself rereading pages over and over again, and I neve ...more
Mandy Beyers
I loved the JD Robb story - I am such an Eve and Roarke fan that even the short stories rock. In this one, the killer makes like a vampire (view spoiler) I also enjoyed the other stories i ...more
Isis
Mar 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I was sick and out of reading material and I found this on my shelf, no doubt left by my mother after a visit. The cover suggests horror and mystery; what's within are entertaining but shallow time-travel romances, and as I am not really a romance fan (but I do love time travel) they didn't do much for me. Robb's story was the most technically proficient; the third story, about a woman who time-travels back to auld Scotland, the most enjoyable.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Aug 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008, cozies
I actually only read the first two stories in this book. I borrowed it from the library for the JD Robb story but then started reading the 2nd one and it was pretty good, so I finished it. The other two stories didn't appeal to me, but that is ok!

the JD Robb story was as expected, good but it seemed strange because it was shorter. Still a good read plus it gets me in the mindset for Strangers in Death which is released tomorrow 2/19.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #72 - Dead of Night 1 1 Mar 30, 2016 01:19PM

• Honest Illusions
  • Hot Rocks
  • Suspicious: Partners / The Art of Deception / Night Moves
  • Moon Shadows
  • Witchin' Around The Clock (Wicked Witches Of The Midwest, #15)
  • Search For Love
  • Night Shift (Night Tales, #1)
  • Cinnamon Sugar Murder (Donut Hole Mystery #60)
  • Island of Flowers
  • Genuine Lies
  • King Outta Water (Dragon Guard Book 40)
  • Cause for Alarm
  • Hurricane Bay
  • Whispers at Midnight
  • Strangers in the Night
  • Wild Orchids
  • Nightfall
  • One Summer
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th entry in ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)