Start by marking “Bitter (Bitter Series Book #1)” as Want to Read:
Bitter (Bitter Series Book #1)

Bitter (Bitter Series Book #1)

Bitter-
(of people or their feelings or behavior) angry, hurt, or resentful because of one's bad experiences or a sense of unjust treatment.

Vivian Halliwell will be the first to admit that she’s the ultimate definition of a bitter bitch.

And rightfully so.

Surviving an explosive past, Vivian has guarded her heart with steel walls and a barbwire attitude. Only letting a
Published September 28th 2015 by S.L. Romines

To ask other readers questions about Bitter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bitter

Julia Clare
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a badass woman. Vivian is foul mouth, makes bad puns, knows what she needs even if she doesn't realize it's a sexy military man thrown at her in a blind date.

Jaxon comes in like an unwelcome storm. There is no question who he wants. Even if their time together maybe short.

If you can't handle the word fuck this isn't the book for you. Otherwise tie back your beef curtains and wash your crusty empanadas, and get ready for Bitter!
Amber Hartmann
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You will either LOVE or HATE this book. For me, I fell IN LOVE with this book and everything it represents. Vivian is a strong, out spoken and independent woman who takes shit from no one with the mouth a sailor would blush at, which is exactly why I like it. I can appreciate the crude language, harsh sense of humor and the dislike of children in this book; like Vivian says, those things should be kept on a leash!
The targeted audience for this book is not the reader who gasps at curse words and
Amber Lacie
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me smile ear to ear. I loved it!
Jamie Ellis
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow!!

Loved this book....confession I actually read Beautiful Ink first. Now just to get more from this amazing author. Got one more book to read by this author. I really hope this author is in her writing cave to bring us readers more of her hilariously written books. I know this avid reader wants more.
Thanks Jamie Nibarger Ellis
Tracie Podger
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do like a novella from time to time. A nice short read when I'm busy and can't dedicate to a full-length novel. Often though, I find the story is rushed, not thought through nor tight and compact enough. That is NOT the case at all with Bitter. What a wonderful, diverse, sassy-mouthed and totally lovable character we are given in Vivian, and the gorgeous Jax...! I fell in love with both these characters within a page. It's refreshing to see a broken woman, and although we don't get the whole s ...more
Lisa Renfrow
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First off I love a woman that can take care of herself!! Vivian is a young woman that has alot of hurt in her life from the ones that should have loved her the most. I think she shows her independence well and knows how to handle men. I love how she stands up for what she believes in and she isn't afraid to let you know what she thinks of you even if it is about your crusty empanada!!!! Jax is her blind date and boy is he in for a big surprise with viv. It takes a strong man like Jax to be able ...more
Annie B.
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny, Super Funny !! I cried too...
For the first time in SO many years, i have finally read about a Crazy B... like myself (Bad attitude )!! I connected immediately with her of course. Vivian is not only a strong head female, she is also a women, a verry broken one. And when her friend hooks her up on a blind date she is about to learn that the only reason she hasnt been able to love is that only a strong man can love a strong women. The only bad thing for me..The end! !I just cannot wait
Crystal Yawn
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is full of one bitter f'd up psycho being pushed to her limits to overcome and smile. One minute you are shaking your head wondering what is wrong with Vivian, the next you can't read fast enough to see what is going to happen next.
Vivian is a colorful character with crude language and a huge chip on her shoulder, I can't decide if I want to hug her or choke her.
Jax seems gluton for punishment as he keeps pushing through viv's walls to learn who she is. if anyone can its t
Kelly
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I swear like no one’s fucking business, and damn did this chick put me to shame.
There was some humor in it, which I appreciated. Vivian’s a badass, which is cool, but it took me a little while to warm up to her (pulling a knife—in her employer’s parking lot—on three men that were checking out her bike was a little too extreme for me). I did find her likable towards the end of the book, when we find out about her sad past.
Jax was really sweet and I liked him a lot.
There were some hot sex scene
Stephanie Hadlow
I am more than twitterpating over this book! I love Vivian!!! She is strong willed, self powerful, smart mouthed, yet there is a gentle side that I can't resist! Jaxon is the perfect match for her! A caring, even keeled, honest, knows what he wants man! The way their story comes together is fantastic! S.L. Romines put it all together with a wonderful twist of great humor! I am looking more than forward to continuing reading her work! Awesome job with this book!
Brandy Roberts
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
was givin this amazing book for my honest review i didnt want bitter to end i cant wait to read more it was funny sad and hot Vivian was a badass she was hilarious and cool i wish i could come up with the stuff that came out of her mouth i think i loved Jaxon from the beginning he was sweet funny hot as f**k didnt let vivs meanness get in the way of how he felt about her iim so excited to read more :) <3
Jodie Scott
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed on behalf of 2 girls who love books blog
Bitter by S.L Romines
This was a fantastic start to a new series. It is quite a short story at only 107 pages long but it is action packed right from the very beginning to the very end including the teaser for the next book which leaves you needing it like now.
This is down as a military book however it’s just that the guy in it is a marine it has nothing to do with the army as such. This could however change as the story progresse
Kathy
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Too often a book does not live up to its name, no worries this time. Viv, the main character is bitter. Think burnt asparagus, unripe grapefruit or lemon coated in alum bitter. She has been done wrong in the past so from now on she is determined to strike first and offend everyone before they can get close to her. Then a blind date with Jaxon, a Marine home on leave, semper fi, threatens to break through her walls.
This was an interesting read, Viv is over the top bitter but we do get glimp
Frank Atkins
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Too often a book does not live up to its name, no worries this time. Viv, the main character is bitter. Think burnt asparagus, unripe grapefruit or lemon coated in alum bitter. She has been done wrong in the past so from now on she is determined to strike first and offend everyone before they can get close to her. Then a blind date with Jaxon a marine home on leave, semper fi, threatens to break through her walls.
This was an interesting read, Viv is over the top bitter but we do get glimps
Renalda
Oct 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I don't even know where to start on this book. I appreciate the warning of the foul language but wow. This character doesn't know how to talk without using the F word. Not to mention, the main character was not at all likable. If I'd met someone like her in public I'd want to punch her in the face. The guy, well I've never known a military man to be a wuss like him. If a military man or woman gets ahold of this book, they'll not be too happy I'm sure. Since this is the first book in the ser ...more
Book Loving Fairy-Blog
Star Rating: 5 fucking amazing stars

***ARC gifted by author in exchange for an honest review***

ok well..holy fucking shitballs batman! this girl is amazing and i need her in my life ASAP! i laughed soo much with this one and i am sad that it ended so soon...and to be honest i truly truly was not expecting the ending and the preview! i need the next book. i need more Jax Maddox and i definitely need more Viv and her filterless mouth. i loved this book from the beginning to
Vera M
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
S. L. Romines had me captivated from page one!!! Vivian is Bitter and rightfully so. Dealing with a horrible childhood has her building a wall so impenetrable no one can break through. This woman has no filter and says what's on her mind. Love is not something she is looking for and she believes she doesn't really deserve it. Enter Jaxon Maddox. This sexy as sin man fights for Viv and shows her that she is worth loving!!
A truly fantastic short read that had me laughing, yelling and crying like
Kimberly Williams
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Vivian is bitter, actually she is a bitter bitch, set up on a blind date with Jax! A blind date she is NOT looking foward to. Jax is a marine and for some reason has made it his mission to break down Vivians walls and be with her! Sometimes Vivian’s outburst are over the top and you want to smack her, read on a few minutes and you want to hug her and cry with her! Can they work it out? Can Vivian be normal? Can Jax put up with her level of crazy? This book leaves you NEEDING more!!!
Judie
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*An ARC was provided in exchange of an honest review*

Sooo freaken good! Vivian is the kind of female that I would def get along with. She's sassy, awesome & not afraid to speak her mind. And Jax... Yummy! This read is short but does not feel rushed or like pieces were missed because of its length. This is just how a short read should be! Don't miss out on reading this baby! You'll love it!
Jaime
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bitter was a good read. I didn't like how quickly she changed her mind about things but it was a good story line. I would have liked to have read more of their time together and get a little more background on him.
Denae Hegefeld
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-ebook
Hilarious, MUST READ book! See full review by clicking the link below:

Mazmum
Not for me. Completely failed to warm to female lead. Got a third through and then gave up, sorry. But hey, not everyone likes the same thing.
Megan Moran
Amazing writing!

If you need to laugh and want to fall in love with some amazing characters this is the read for you!
Marie  Brown (Marie's Tempting Reads)
Marie's Tempting Reads ARC Review:

A marvelous, steamy, fun, sizzling romance with humor, heart, loving characters and fabulous banter! S.L. Romines had me fanning myself through this one! Nothing gets my panties in a bind like a sexy Marine, and Jax...mmmmm, he was all sorts of swoon worthy! And Vivian, she is AWESOME! I loved her wild personality and her disposition. Jax and Vivian together though...sparks fly in the BEST possible way! As a Marine Jax knows how to knock down ANY typ
Jessica Mooneyham
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Again...

I don’t think I have ever read books that were so hilarious. I mean river of tears flowing hilarious! She reminds me so much of myself and some friends. Can’t wait for book 2!
Perfectly imperfect. This girl, omg she is awesome. From the start I was in love with her. But the moment she met Jax, her fate was sealed. He takes a foul mouthed, bitter, angry at the world girl to.....DISNEY! I loved the hea. Can't wait to read book two, the sneak peek was hysterical!!
Wanda
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh Jax!!!

Love, love, love.
Quick and fun read.
There is two things I've learned reading this short story. S. L. Romines know how to write a hot romance and keep you laughing while doing it.
Great summer read.
Kaylee Ridgeway
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilariously fun and romantic

Being New to S.L. Dominoes book you just never know what to expect. Well I have to tell you this is one of my most pleasurable reads ever! No pun intended! The characters are funny, witty and loveable. Vivian is an angry, loud mouthed, motorcycle riding bad babe! Hot and sexy Jax Maddox walked into her life and she's thrown for a loop.
Corporal Jax Maddox is sexy personified. Being in the military has taught him patience and his family has taught him how to love
Chelle  Myers
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever read a book that makes you proud to be a woman? Have you ever needed a reminder that women rock? THIS is THAT book! Vivian is a strong, foul mouthed, bad ass, independent chick who knows how to take care of herself! She's been hurt and has built up Fort Knox style walls around her heart! She does not want or need a man in her life! Then she reluctantly goes on a blind date & meets Jax. Their connection is immediate and she starts to wonder if maybe it's time to trust again. Jax ...more
Judy Miracle
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So i read this book in 2015... how i never wrote a review I will never know because I loved this short novella!!!

Vivian oh theres so many things to say about her.. Shes a foul mouthed, independant, doesnt take no ones crap kind of chick and i freaking loved her. I love when the heroine is tough and sticks up for herself. The rants she would go on and the things that came out of her mouth had me doubled over in laughter. (Word to the wise do not try to read this book when you are some
Bitter is FREE! 1 1 Nov 23, 2015 12:40PM
Want to win some signed swag? 1 2 Oct 05, 2015 08:26AM
S.L. Romines lives in a small town in Central California, and if you blink you just might miss it. She resides on a ranch with her family which she lovingly refers to as the funny farm. Between getting dish pan hands, listening to three bickering teenagers, pretending that she’s a gourmet chef (her family would like to disagree), and trying to tune out the sound of twenty-seven deranged Guinea fow ...more
“Vivian, if I had a dollar for every time you confused the hell out of me today, I would be a rich man,” he says, interlocking his fingers behind his head. “Now, can we please get in the hotel so we can shower and get some sleep? Or are we just going to stand here and talk about neck biting cocks all night.” ~Jax” 1 likes
“What?” I ask, throwing my hands up, and then pointing at the woman. “Don’t even look at me like that, lady. You know after having that baby, your vagina probably looks like wrinkled roast beef curtains. So don’t kid yourself...because your vagina hates you.” ~Vivian” 0 likes