Start by marking “Halina Filipina” as Want to Read:
Halina Filipina

Halina Filipina

"It's nice to travel, you meet new faces."

Halina Mitchell is a half-Filipino half-American New Yorker who visits the Philippines for the first time to meet her relatives. Here she also encounters Cris, a struggling film critic whose passionate loathing for bad local movies reflects his views of modern Filipino sociaty.

Coming from completely different worlds, the two eventu
Paperback, 1st Edition, 226 pages
Published October 3rd 2015 by Chamber Shell Publishing Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Halina Filipina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halina Filipina

Nicolo Yu
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philippine-komix
Halina Filipina is truly a Filipino graphic novel.

Halina Filipina is that graphic novel that one has to experience modern Filipino culture in order to understand its nuances and pop references. That is both blessing and bane to this book. A blessing, because a country with a population of 100 million is its target audience, but sadly, most of them do not see the graphic novel as an art form. It also limits the casual foreign reader and it is that type of audience who would most appreciate the de
Maria Ella
There is something intimate and simple in this comic book that made me shed a tear. Especially seeing that last page where she wore the same hat he bought in less that ten pesos. As Arnold Arre made mention in his notes, the ending gave the readers a sense of hope. In that hat lied a short story of two random people who met and find a piece of themselves, in a traffic-filled society called Manila.
K.D. Absolutely
Dec 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Jzhun
For me, this is the best graphic novel by Arnold Arre.

I've read his Martial Law Babies (2 stars) and Trip to Tagaytay (2 stars) and they sadly did not make much impression to me. I think the first book missed the whole point of being a martial law baby (me) by focusing on the lives of those people with none, or very little, of what it was to be a baby born during the time of Marcos. The second book is supposed to be futuristic but it is too far out there that I don't care about. Not to mention t
Ivy Catherine
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's like 500 days of summer (or 30 days) but more Filipino, which I am sure we can greatly relate to.
Seryoso, wala akong ideya kung tungkol saa nitong komiks na ito, pero matapos ang chapter 1 mejo alam ko na kung anong daan yung tinatahak ko sa pagbabasa nito. May mga parte na satirical ang dating at isa yun sa mga bagay na nagustuhan ko, dahil aminin natin... Totoo naman kasi.

May romantic side at meron din side na sumasalamin sa kultura at lipnuan ng isang present day Filipino. Ang dalawang b
Phoebe Andamo
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I like the no-frills love story of this graphic novel. It focuses on two main characters; no subplots, no too much complicated problem. I also like the symbolism of the straw hat. My only question is where is the iris of Cris? lol jk
Gabriel Mari Oblefias
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
May mga bagay talaga sa araw araw na buhay natin na nakakainis. Traffic, Noontime Shows, Baha, Renta, etcetera. Pero sa gitna ng kaguluhan na ito, sa araw araw na pakikipagbuno natin sa mga problema... mababalewala lahat ng ito oras na makita na natin ang espesyal na tao na nakalaan para sa atin. Siya na makukuwentuhan ng araw araw nating daing, siya na walang sawa makikinig, at siya na muling magpapangiti sayo matapos ang isang nakakapagod na araw.

Siyempre, hindi lahat ng araw masaya. Maski kay
Clare Almine
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first graphic novel that we (baba) read together. And also this is the first graphic novel that we read by Arnold Arre.

Bakit 5 stars? Kasi simple lang. Walang masyadong drama. Ang mga eksena ay natural lang na nangyayari araw-araw sa pangkaraniwang tao na nakatira sa Metro Manila. Walang "magic" ekek para lang maipasok ang nakakakilig na eksena. Ang paghahanap ng roots ni Halina, hindi rin madrama na nagiiyakan. Natural. Ang smooth lang ng pagkakakwento.

Magbabasa pa kami ng ibang gra
Teri Pardue
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this graphic novel so much! I'm new to graphic novels for adults - and this is my favorite one to date. The author does an excellent job of capturing so much of Philippine culture and daily life while weaving an interesting story.
Meniah Galanza
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Had a great deal of fun reading this especially because it's been a while since I last read a graphic novel! Once I started, I couldn't put it down! Short, sweet and cozy!
Lik Castañeda
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s one of the few graphic novels I’ve read, and I liked how it’s about a lot of things Filipino, in setting, people, culture, and story that tugged at my heartstrings. (Also, great art!) It may have also presented the chaos in the Philippines like the heavy traffic and the rains, but in the midst of the chaos, there is still goodness, with the new-found and lasting friendships among unlikely people.
Ella Quing
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute. Appealed to me at the right moment and time, otherwise I probably wouldn't pick this up
Honeypie
Feb 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I chanced upon a copy of this graphic novel when I slept over at a friend's place.

I liked Martial Law Babies more.

Anyway, the graphic novel mainly follows the story of Halina, who is a Fil-Am visitor/balikbayan in the Philippines and Cris, who is supposedly a loather of bad local movies. Yes, it says "bad", so one can only expect a lot of negative comments, and cynicism. (Gahdd, I always struggle with patience for these "kinds" of people.)

My friend's husband loved it, but my friend wasn't as ecs
Kai
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Two people-one who is set to find her roots and her inner Pilipino in the Philippines and the other a film critic who hates his own country, find themselves teaching and learning one another.

I love the story. Very straight to the point and true and worth reading after he last published his work. I suggest you take your time and read this one.
Leo
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
I really enjoyed this graphic novel. The art and the story were so good. I can't wait to read more of Arre's work.
Sheryl
Anne
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was the fastest Arnold Arre read I’ve had, and it’s awesome. Arre creates arresting characters that you can’t help but relate to and root for, as well as tackle issues in the subtlest of ways. The fact that the social commentary + romance worked well for this graphic novel is indeed notable. As a Filipino born and raised in the Philippines, I greatly empathize with Cris. But also having traveled to a few countries (albeit Asian destinations, never in the West...yet), I’ve had my share of me ...more
kb
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story nails it with the nuances, intricacies, idiosyncrasies (wuw) of how it is to be Filipino. The love story bit also got me hooked, of course, so if that's your thing, halina! Here's a thread of some of my favorite parts, please enjoy the art!
Odracir Nebriaga
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some might ask why I gave this graphic novel a 5-star rating. Well, the answer is simple: IT MADE ME CRY.
That's it. No more long review needed.
If what you are reading suddenly made you cry (like what this graphic novel did to me), then it is definitely one heck of a good story!
Lynne
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Halina Filipina = Come on, Filipina?

This graphic novel calls out to Filipinos from all possible walks of life; from "locally produced, home grown export quality" to "imported, from greener pastures". Haha quite the sheepish wordplay there. Sorry bout that.

Im sure anyone who's connected to being Pinoy can relate to this story. Philippines is more than just a geographic location or country. It is an identity.

It seems to be that this graphic novel calls out to the Filipino in us. This is not the
Tays
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-best-so-far
See there was something magnificent within the simplicity of this book. Everything about Halina Filipina is simple. The plot is simple. The characters are simple. The illustrations are simple. But as I've said, no matter how plain it is. It's not pretentious. And that's where it draws the beauty in it.

Arnold Arre wrote a story about two people who comes from two different worlds and chance allows them to interact and affect each other's lives. It's quite an intimate story of love and friendship
Ardi
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: filipiniana
I bought this graphic novel on a whim! I've always been interested in graphic novels, but god knows, I can't afford it. I saw this on a stand at Fully Booked and was surprised by the price, that I just grabbed it and went.

One of the subjects in this book is about criticising Filipino movies. One of the irony of this book is the story revolves around the same story line of Filipino rom-com. It's cliche, dramatic, and disgustingly funny. Poor, ugly, boy meets rich, beautiful girl.

The comedic tou
Odracir
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Alright, people. I just found my favorite graphic novel... For real! :)

When I was reading it, I felt like Cris and Halina were my friends and I'm the third wheel (kidding!). Seeing their love story unfold before me was definitely a rollercoaster of emotions. There were times when I'm like "You go, Cris!" and "Awww, you're such an a-hole, man!"
I'm also not ashamed to admit that I cried maybe three times before finishing the comic book. The moment I read the ending was embarassing, tho. I HAD TO
Jay-r Trinidad
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
hindi ko alam kung ano ang pumasok sa aking emosyon nang biglang tinablan na lang ako ng matinding iyak habang binabasa ang bagong graphic novel ni arre. hindi lang siya isang beses nangyari, tatloong beses akong naapektuhan sa katauhan ng lalaking bida. kasama na rin siguro doon sa isang prim and proper na sumisingit sa buhay ni bidang babae.

dalubhasa talaga si arre sa kanyang paglahad ng kwento kahit na mukha siyang simple. mas pasok siguro sa balat ang tema, kasama na rin na mas naiintindihan
Nana Lee
Jan 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
I like it, but didn't love it as I was expecting. You can't blame me, I love Mythology Class! I immediately bought a copy of this when I learned that Arnold Arre just released a new graphic novel which is also a love story. I'm just not sure if I was a bit disappointed because I've already read an unhealthy amount of romance novels, making this one a bit flat, or because it is a graphic novel, hence making the story telling more compressed as compared to a novel.
Iphios
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have been following Arnold Arre's work since I was a teenager many years ago. Halina Filipina, while not about fantastical picture carries questions about our Culture and how we view it. It holds in it questions of identity, love and connection. It is fascinating to see how deep connections challenge our sense of self and allows us to grow.
Meiji
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Solid read!
Zim
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kahali-halina.
Kristel
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Halina Filipina is a simple story that tugs at the heartstrings, brought to life by well-drawn and well-thought-out frames. I enjoyed reading this.
Rossan Joson
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
good story but it was bitin. :)
Kirby Rey
Dec 27, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Arnold Arre (born September 2, 1971 in Metro Manila, Philippines) is a Filipino comic book writer, artist and self-taught animator best known for his graphic novels The Mythology Class (1999) and Ang Mundo ni Andong Agimat (2006).

Arnold Arre has won National Book Awards from the Manila Critics Circle for his graphic novels The Mythology Class (1999), a four-part action-adventure miniseries and Tri
“Can a Filipina be depicted as smart without having to shout all the time? Or down-to-earth and honest without having to start every sentence with a snarky 'Hay nako' or 'Alam mo bah'?” 0 likes