Start by marking “Murder-on-Sea (Whitstable Pearl Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
Murder-on-Sea (Whitstable Pearl Mysteries)

Murder-on-Sea

(Whitstable Pearl Mystery #2)

Christmas in Whitstable. Lights shine bright in old Harbour Street. A Christmas tree stands in place outside St Alfred’s Church. Carol singers surround it. The party season begins. Christmas cards drop through letterboxes . . .

Published October 1st 2015 by Constable

To ask other readers questions about Murder-on-Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder-on-Sea

Start your review of Murder-on-Sea (Whitstable Pearl Mysteries)
Damaskcat
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is almost Christmas in Whitstable and Pearl Nolan has just written and posted her Christmas cards including one to McGuire - the detective she met in the Summer when they were both investigating a suspicious death. Someone else in the town has been using Christmas cards to send anonymous messages and has upset several of Pearl's friends but she really doesn't want a case to investigate just before Christmas and she refers all the recipients to the police.

Pearl invites McGuire to the church fu
Jan Edwards
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pearl, Whitstable restaurateur and private detective, is preparing for Christmas and involved in many of the local community's festivities. She is approached to investigate a spate of poison-pen Christmas cards, a job which she hands on to DCI McGuire for reasons never really explained. But when one of the recipients of a card, her friend and accountant, is poisoned at a very public event she is drawn into the investigation almost be default.

This is the second in the series. As expected in any s
Deanne
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimethriller
It's Christmas time in Whitstable, and not everyone appears to be full of the joys of the season. When some of the locals receive poison cards they ask Pearl to get to the bottom of the mystery.
The characters are an interesting ensemble, though I don't know how Pearl puts up with Dolly, keep picturing her as Rose from keeping up appearances.
Heather
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed my read of the first book in this series, The Whitstable Pearl Mystery, and I was excited to get my mitts on the next book in the series Murder on Sea!

I loved this story, first of all it is set at my favourite time of the year, Christmas time, it is also set in the seaside town of Whitstable in Kent (England - I have been there!!) and there is plenty of foodies descriptions and a nice dollop of cosy romance, oh and murder!

Pearl Nolan is getting ready for Christmas, her successfu
Maureen
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
In ‘Murder on Sea’ we are back in the town of Whitstable, it’s almost Christmas and restaurant owner and private investigator Pearl is in over her head with work. Especially since it’s almost Christmas and a lot needs to be done. Pearl really shouldn’t except new investigator jobs, but when people start receiving strange insulting Christmas cards, Pearl can’t resist to start asking some questions around town. But soon Pearl finds more than she bargained for and soon she is in the middle of a mur ...more
Samie Sands
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! All the characters were well written, rounded and realistic too. Although the plot line deals with a gruesome murder and a lot of nastiness, it manages to have a humorous edge to it too. The mystery was detailed and difficult to solve – which makes the reveal all that more exciting! Highly recommended!
Martina Lennon
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
For those who like cosy mysteries, then this a new series just right for you. Now all I have to is to find the first and wait for the third next year.. Some times that is the only drawback to libraries, but then anticipation is everything . Irishmadoc this is a series for you.
Katrina
Not quite as enjoyable as the first book in this series. Hopefully Rev Pru will be murdered in the next one!
Alan
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good ‘cosy’ mystery set in the seaside town of whitstable with an interesting set of characters.
Pearl - Private detective/restaurant owner with family around her, makes an interesting focal point of the stories.
As with the first story this novel was an easy read and really drew you into the story.
Only downsides are some of the story elements borrow from other sources such as annoying but loved mother also present, potential love interest with local police officer.
So if you read a lot of myste
Cliff
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another cosy crime with a lady detective - shades of Miss Marple to Agatha Raisin. I found Pearl more realistic than most of this ilk with her feet firmly on the ground. OK, there is what seems to be the inevitable love interest, this time of a local DCI, but this isn't overdone and Pearl doesn't go around moping. She is the owner of a relatively up market seafood restaurant in Whitstable Kent. The story takes place in the run up to Christmas. There is the also inevitable denouement with Pearl d ...more
Sarah Rayner
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second of the Whitstable Pearl Mysteries I have read and this one certainly was as good if not better than the first. Living in Kent it is nice to read a book with places in you can recognise and having been to Whitstable on a number of occasions it’s nice to be able to picture in your mind the places she is writing about. It’s one of those stories that you can put down and just want to read another few pages hence why it only took me two days from start to finish. Can wait to start ...more
Dallass
As per usual, I have picked up a book that is NOT the first book in a series. However, that didn't affect my understanding of the story as it only briefly touches on previous storylines. The characters were interesting, and there is the usual romantic angle that is touched on. I loved the little village, and the murder mystery itself was interesting and well done.

Will keep an eye out for more books in the series.

PS. I love these covers! ;-D
Hazel Lewis
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Lockdown Reading

I started this story after you spoke at the book group I belong to chaired by Gill Lato.
I always think of Whitstable as a ‘Marmite’ town........talk to people some like it, some don’t. I love walking along the shoreline, round the harbour, some fine restaurants, fish and chips and of course oysters.
The story covers three murders, are they connected or not, well read the book to find out but if you are local you will easily recognise everywhere and if not, come and visit, when we
Elizabeth Grieve
Lovely! This one ticks all the boxes - romance, murder, mystery, great setting, mouthwatering food, family! I found it charming, beautifully written, with interesting, realistic and sympathetic characters, and the mystery kept me guessing (with a few red herrings to go along with all the other seafood). I would love to read more by this author.
Many thanks to the publisher for a review copy.
Chloe Friend
I really enjoy this series. It's an easy read and is coincidentally based in my home town! A very small town in the south east of England! I would really recommend if your looking for an easy read romance mystery with some serious sexual tension! ...more
Petula Darling
May 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
If you like mysteries where everything is revealed once all the suspects have been invited into the drawing room, then this is the book for you.
Jane
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a better writer for people, places and relationships than for mysteries I think.
Dee Martin
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this, set at Christmas. Again well plotted and enjoyable.
Carolyn
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too much historical background and not enough nitty-gritty detection for my liking, but a pleasant enough read.
Heather
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read. Enjoyed the touch of romance, the crime story and the writing of this book. Great!
Suzy Dominey
Comfort reading perfect for a cold winter's day ...more
Claire
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming, engaging and riveting read. I highly enjoyed it - even reading ‘out of season’ didn’t make a difference.
Alison
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cosy mystery, an easy read. Thoroughly enjoyable
Nayuleska
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was super eager to dive back into Pearl's world since I enjoyed book 1, The Whitstable Pearl so much (see suggested read below for the link to my review). It's a fairly good 2nd in a series book filled with humour, chaos and murder. I liked feeling that I knew most of the characters, especially Pearl's mother who always makes me smile with her antics. I was a little sad that her son Charlie didn't have more page time, since he had such a prominent role in book 1, but the mysterious note sand ...more
GONZA
Sep 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
This is the second book I read by Julie Wassmer and I think that she is getting better at describing people and places, but this time the plot was not so gripping like the first one.
We have the old Characters and some new one that are all involved in Christmas preparations and also McGuire is back for the joy of Pearl and mine also. There as spiteful messages coming to some of the most prominent people of the village but Pearl has too much to do to get a case before the festivities, also Charlie
Alba
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on: http://www.albainbookland.com/2015/09...

Earlier this year, I had the pleasure of reading Julie Wassmer's debut, and the first book of this series, The Whitstable Pearl Mystery. So I was quite excited to read the second one and catch up with the lovely Pearl. After solving her first case as a private investigator on summer, she has been slowly building her business while still managing her restaurant.

But now it's almost Christmas time, so Pearl has decided not to take any mo
Ian
Oct 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
ARC review for Little, Brown Book Group Ltd via Netgalley.

Pearl is busy with the festive season, planning a great family occasion with Dolly and son Charlie - but she’s overstretched herself by agreeing to cater a charity fundraising event at St Alfred’s. As if she didn’t
Clare Hudson
Jul 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
:( Very weak - so disappointing. Didn't feel there was any depth to the characters and plot line simplistic .... too much so. Despite being based in Whitstable and it being really nice to read about places where I live and know - I confess I don't think I shall be reading any more in this series. There's 'holiday reading' and then there's 'holiday reading'! Shame.

Amazon synopsis:
The festive month is kicking off in style and Pearl is rushed off her feet with her restaurant, The Whitstable Pearl.
Priscilla
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone has been sending out anonymous cards jam-packed with hurtful remarks. “You have no style.” “Greedy pig.”

Amateur sleuth Pearl didn’t take them seriously until her accountant ends up dead. What’s even more terrifying is the card that she had received. It says: “Lose your temper — and you lose everything.” Because the victim’s nephew doesn’t trust the police, he hires Pearl to take on the case.

“Pearl possessed both a breadth of local knowledge and a natural instinct for people that was inv
Louise Culmer
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
the second book about Pearl, who has a restaurant in Whitstable, which doesn't keep her busy enough, so she is a private detective on the side. pearl is worried because some of her acquaintances have received Christmas cards with spiteful anoynymous messages inside. This gives her an excuse to get in touch with Mike, the handsome detective from Canterbury whom she is pining for, not having seen him for months (as canterbury and whistable are only six miles apart this is a bit strange). of course ...more

• The Postscript Murders (Harbinder Kaur #2)
  • Dishing the Dirt (Agatha Raisin, #26)
  • A Village Murder (The Ham-Hill Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Something Borrowed, Someone Dead (Agatha Raisin, #24)
  • The Perfect Paragon (Agatha Raisin, #16)
  • The Unexpected Return of Josephine Fox
  • The Lost Diaries of Adrian Mole, 1999-2001 (Adrian Mole, #7)
  • The Electricity of Every Living Thing
  • The Afterlife of Alice Watkins #2
  • The Lark Ascending: The Music of the British Landscape
  • Death Beside the Seaside (Lady Hardcastle Mystery #6)
  • Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Adrian Mole, #5)
  • The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club, #1)
  • Feral Youth
  • The Afterlife of Alice Watkins (The Afterlife of Alice Watkins #1)
  • Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years (Adrian Mole, #4)
  • Fatal Lies (Lies #2)
  • The Nidderdale Murders (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries, #5)
Julie Wassmer is a television drama writer who contributed for almost twenty years to the popular BBC series EastEnders.

She published her autobiography More Than Just Coincidence in 2010, in which she describes finding her long-lost daughter after an astonishing twist of fate. It was voted Mumsnet book of the year.

The Whitstable Pearl Mystery is the first in her series of crime novels, involving

Whitstable Pearl Mystery (6 books)
  • The Whitstable Pearl Mystery
  • May Day Murder (Whitstable Pearl Mysteries Book 3)
  • Murder on the Pilgrims Way (Whitstable Pearl Mysteries Book 4)
  • Disappearance at Oare
  • Murder on the Downs (Whitstable Pearl Mysteries)