Start by marking “Lockruf des Goldes” as Want to Read:
Lockruf des Goldes

Read Book* *Different edition

Lockruf des Goldes

Der Hüne mit dem sprechenden Namen Burning Daylight ist unter den Goldsuchern Alaskas vor allem wegen seiner körperlichen Ausdauer und Stärke, aber auch für seine Großzügigkeit und Kameradschaftlichkeit bekannt. Als er jedoch fündig und über Nacht steinreich wird, wendet sich das Blatt: Burning Daylight scheint dem Fluch des Goldes zu erliegen ..

Dieser Band enthält einen e

Published July 24th 2015 by Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag (first published 1902)

To ask other readers questions about Lockruf des Goldes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lockruf des Goldes

Jeffrey Bumiller
Aug 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There are just too many things wrong with this book. The characters are so ridiculous and unbelievable. The main character, who goes by the cringe inducing nickname that gives the book its title, is an overwrought, hyper-masculine caricature of the early 20th century American male. The way that women are portrayed in the story is borderline offensive (there is a female character who is only referred to as, "the virgin"). The dialogue is embarrassing and poorly executed. Basically this is a love ...more
Neil
Jun 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is essentialy a story about a man's journey to find out what is important in life. Along the way he develops strength and vitality, loses it in his quest for fortune and power, then eventually gives up his worldly trappings for a return to his vitality and to gain the woman he loves.

Jack London occasionally spends a little too much time generalizing and describing for my tastes, but the story is good and the narration well done.
LauraT
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surprise: after the first part in Alaska, the novels gets to California, and look at the financial world, at the importance of money in a life, and of books and trees. How I'd like to believe in the existance of a man - and a woman - able of turning their back to millions of dollars. I don't know if I could do it....
vetathebooksurfer
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These books are my earliest memorymemory in adventure genre . this paticular novel i started multipal times and found it rather boring.... But for nows it was an imporant read, since in myself fed up with the city life
Jeannie
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Jack London's way of writing, He knows how to slowly weave a story. This book started out as a rough and tumble story of the "gold rush" in Alaska, and ended with a very soft and sweet love story. I listened to it on Librivox .
Tobin Tullis
Mar 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is the narrative of the Klondike that I thought i would find in call of the wild! excellent read!
it got a little wordy in part two, and I sincerely wondered at times when it would end, but I did enjoy it immensely
Kalvin Moschkau
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Best London so far. Everyone who works a sit down job/has a career needs to read.
Shelley Alongi
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
London would it take criticism from teachers I'm writing to say that you should include more action in your story. I think he is at his best when describing events in Alaska. I also think you can see the development of character although it is subtle. The difference between the way he starts out and the way he ends up is in the home maturity he exhibits. There is however the continuing desire for adventure that we see especially when he discovers that gold vein on his land toward the end of the ...more
Robert
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2016-17-season
A good Jack London Yukon adventure tale gets mucked up with a truly sappy, unbelievable love story and some horrendously naive anti-capitalist politics. Best to read the first part (107 pages) and then stop.
Marty Edwards
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alaskan goldrush success adventure

So well written. Story of amazing man who masters Alaskan gold rush then finds himself years later. Too long on description of his driven entrepreneurism, but the story and values win out.
Abe Shocket
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic stuff - Alaska, Sonoma, and more!
Bill Jr.
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not his best, but good.
Oskar Garibaldi
A few nuggets of wisdom and good imagery here and there, but overall a predictable and bland block of cheese.
Mckinley
Didn't get past the 6th chapter.
Julia
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thom Swennes
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No other country builds their folk heroes up as much as the United States. From patriots to generals to outlaws, Americans make them bigger than life. This phenomenon doesn't occur by mere chance but with the help of the many tall stories; first told around campfires and later put in print for a far larger public. Jack London did his share in this verity. Burning Daylight is the story of Elam Harnish, an Oregonian migrate in the Yukon Territory of frozen Alaska. As a gold prospector he was moder ...more
Richard Thompson
When Jack London is at his best, he is a great writer, but he cranked out a lot words over the course of his career and his quality was not consistent. Burning Daylight is a good book where London's simple style is put to good use in portraying the simple, high energy, charismatic hero. There is a lot to like here - particularly the Alaska story in the beginning of the book and the description of life on the hero's ranch in London's beloved Glen Ellen at the end. But there is also a lot of clich ...more
Amy Nielsen
I read about 2/3 of this book and enjoyed most of it. Halfway through, it got pretty political and then BD got sort of unlikeable which turned me off. I didn't read enough to find out if he overcame his faults and turned back into a likable character; seems like that's where it was headed but I had too many other more interesting reads at hand that I couldn't stay interested to find out what happened. However I read too much to give it completely up so maybe someday I'll come back 'round and fin ...more
marylee
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to read a Jack London book for my book club this month. I wasn't looking forward to it but had "

I had to read a Jack London book for my book club this month. I wasn't really looking forward to it. I searched for a short book that looked interesting. I loved this book and couldn't put it down. I am sorry I finished it and will be looking for another Jack London book to read.
JennanneJ
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: california, alaska
I've not read much Jack London before, thinking I wouldn't really care for him, but I was pleasantly surprised by this ebook from Project Gutenberg.

The life of Burning Daylight was quite a saga, from his 30th birthday, when he was already an "old-timer" in the Alaskan goldrush, to a life of high-finance in San Fransisco and even Wall Street. A varied, many faceted adventure and love story. Recommended!
Deane Louise
I was reading this for a local book club and got through the first of 3 sections - the Klondike. The book hasn't really held my interest but I was trying to finish it for the book club meeting - I didn't finish the book in time. I can't put my finger on what it is about this book that is giving me so much trouble, but it just isn't holding my interest. I'm not going to waste my time reading a book that I have no interest in finishing.
Deborah F. Morales
Great story

I did enjoy the storyline.. The descriptive passages were rather tedious, but I had to constantly remind myself that the book was published in the early 1900's
I do love Jack London's books and stories.....White Fang and The Call Of The Wild. I've reread them over and over. So I'll probably reread Burning Daylight.
Highly recommended.
Brom Kim
Oct 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was next in line in working my way through the complete works of Jack London.

It's a worthwhile read, and interesting from a historical perspective.The story moves from the Yukon down to the SF Bay Area.

The character study is also pretty interesting - something about how we go stale, and become unkind in business, but can redeem ourselves. Hmmm.
Dave Maddock
Oct 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
A pretty good novel with a not-so-subtle naive socialist theme. I recall it reading almost like two novellas: Part 1--prospector gets rich, becomes capitalist; Part 2--capitalism saps prospector's vitality, prospector goes back to wilderness.
Judee
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. A wonderful story of the life of a man from the Yukon going from rags to riches and back to rags again, but discovering who he really is along the way. Great characters and a completely enthralling story.
Joel Robbins
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. I was used to his short stories, and I didn't realize the trove of wonderful novels he wrote. It's a man's equivalent to Pride and Prejudice for a woman. I've read P&P twice, so some women may like the book too. That's not great logic, but take it for what it's worth.
Patrick Macke
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
this kind of book is off the beaten track for me, but i was given it as a gift ... i enjoyed the writing style and its obvious life lessons
C.M. Brophy
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful adventure story, not as famous as his other Klondike stories but also deals with the S.F. Bay area, This story inspired me to go to Alaska myself and mine for gold and write a book.
Sandy Meier
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It is one of my favorites! Such a great story and told so well by London. By far my favorite Jack London novel.
Stephen
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always my motto - a great tale of human endurance

• The Heritage of the Desert
  • Stories by O. Henry (Walmart)
  • The Butterfly
  • Short Stories: Five Decades
  • Public Confessions of a Middle-Aged Woman
  • The Temple
  • The Legend of the Glorious Adventures of Tyl Ulenspiegel in the Land of Flanders & Elsewhere
  • The Offshore Pirate
  • The Summing Up
  • A vida aventurosa de Jack London
  • Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead (Indiana Jones: Prequels, #13)
  • Письма незнакомке
  • Indiana Jones and the Interior World (Indiana Jones: Prequels, #6)
  • Christmas Stories (from All the Year Around and Household Words)
  • Sonnets from the Portuguese and Other Poems
  • Cross Channel
  • Sinuhe the Egyptian: A Novel by Mika Waltari Summary & Study Guide
  • The Arrow of Gold: A Story Between Two Notes
Jack London was an American novelist, journalist, social-activist and short-story writer whose works deal romantically with elemental struggles for survival. At his peak, he was the highest paid and the most popular of all living writers. Because of early financial difficulties, he was largely self educated past grammar school.

London drew heavily on his life experiences in his writing. He spent ti
“Сядай на онзи стол, пор мръсен! Скачай, дявол да те вземе, или ще изкарам толкова течност от тебе, че хората ще помислят баща ти за пожарен кран, а майка ти — за градинарска лейка! Премести стола си до неговия, Гугънхемър! А, ти, Даусет, стой на мястото си, докато ви обясня предимствата на този пистолет! Зареден е с куршуми за едър дивеч и може да стреля осем пъти. И тръгне ли веднъж, не можеш го спря...
Първо, всички ме познавате! Аз съм Бърнинг Дейлайт — знаете го, нали? Не ме е страх нито от бога, нито от дявола, нито от смъртта!”
0 likes
“Това беше то - любов. От нея идваха неприятностите. Тя бе по-ужасна от глада и студа... Любовта караше мъжете и жените да вършат такива ужасни и неразумни неща. Приличаше на „делириум тременс”, само че беше по-лошо... Това беше лудост, чиста лудост и при това заразителна... Това беше любовта. Тя разстройваше живота на мъжете и жените, водеше ги към разруха и смърт, обръщаше с главата надолу всичко разумно, караше почтени жени да изневеряват или да се самоубиват, а мъже, които винаги са били честни и надеждни, превръщаше в негодяи и убийци.” 0 likes