Start by marking “The Authorities™” as Want to Read:
The Authorities™

The Authorities™

Sinclair Rutherford is a young Seattle cop with a taste for the finer things. Doing menial tasks and getting hassled by superiors he doesn't respect are definitely not “finer things.” Good police work and bad luck lead him to crack a case that changes quickly from a career-making break into a high-profile humiliation when footage of his pursuit of the suspect—wildly inappr ...more
Published October 1st 2015 by Rocket Hat Industries (first published September 28th 2015)

Rob
Executive Summary: I didn't enjoy this one as much as the Magic 2.0 books, but by the end I ended up liking it about as much as Master of Formalities

Audiobook: Luke Daniels is awesome. As always. Reviewing his narration feels redundant. I'm always more likely to do a book if the audio is done by Mr. Daniels.

Full Review
I really enjoy Mr. Meyer's Magic 2.0 books. I'm still hoping he does another one soon. In the meantime, I've been doing his other books, especially since they all seem to get Luk
Jesse Armstrong
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Laughing. Laughing. Laughing. You bastard. Laughing.
Wing Kee
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Fun for what it is, yummy junk food.

I liked the premise of the book, it's not an original idea at all but sometimes if the writing is fun, the characters and plot catchy enough it can be it's own thing. So, how does this book fare in the grand scheme of misfit crime solving humour books? Not bad, but not great either.

World: I like the Seattle setting, I live in the Pacific North West so this locale made the story a bit more for me than normal. I also liked Meyer's world building skill which is r
Eric
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Scott Meyer's characters. This one had a very similar feel to Magic 2.0, and I really hope he publishes a sequel.
Tditada
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
After finishing magic 2.0 I missed light funny interesting books (and Scott Meyer's humor) so I decided to give The Authorities a chance. It's definitely a compelling story about a murder investigation with mystery characters and funny jokes and situations. I will listen to it again just to laugh a little more with it.
Kenny Bellew
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fun quick read. It's about a hard luck detective who is hired by a wealthy patron who wants to put together the perfect crime fighting team and provide them with James Bond like toys. The book is often very funny. In the middle, it becomes a bit formulaic, but it redeems itself, I felt, and bubbles into satisfactory read with pretty good ending. It's written to be the first of a series.
Michael Feeney
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first non-SF book from Scott Meyer solidifies by belief that he's an author to watch. While my favorite genre always has been and likely always will be science fiction, it's nice to see him step outside of that comfort zone and try on a story in the "real" world. (Of course, his long running comic series Basic Instructions lives in this same space.)

The Authorities follows protagonist Sinclair Rutherford, a meticulous and sturdy police officer who succeeds at cracking a case despite the subtl
Dan
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Check out my blog, One Man Book Club

The Value of a Star: Ratings Explained

If you hate books that make you laugh, Scott Meyer is certainly not for you. Go read The Road. That'll cheer you down.

I was in the middle of The Authorities when I realized I was smiling. I didn't recall when the smile started...it was just there. It stayed, and was even accompanied by spontaneous outbursts of laughter.

The Authorities is another terrifically fun read by Scott Meyer, author of Off to be the Wizard and Maste
Koen Crolla
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Subtitle: ``Let me tell you about this city I used to live in.''

This is another new genre for Meyer: The Authorities is a reasonably straightforward detective story set in Nearly The Real World (the only difference is that Elon Musk is called Vince Capp, that he's in steam/electric hybrid cars instead of pure electrics, and that he's assembling a team of investigative superheroes instead of trying to shoot rich people into the sun).

I got the feeling the point of this book was specifically to wr
David Harriss
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Flat and awkward

The Authorities tries to be sharp, witty, and funny.
The dialogue is flat, without the pacing or timing required to make it humorous; I see how the jokes would work in a comic strip or tv show, but they fail in this novel.
The rest of the humor is of the 'point and laugh, painfully awkward' kind, which I despise.
The backer is in need of a butt kicking. The rest of the cast is odd but okay, though it takes forever to meet them.
The central plot is ... uninteresting.

Overall, avoid. T
Christopher
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable mystery, though I think I would have preferred a less abrasive boss. Since I'm in the PNW the local references were fun, especially the description of Seattle and Portland traffic. Also particularly liked the fact that the "strongest" character isn't any one person but several and the leader(s) are women. Can't wait for a part two, whenever that ends up happening.

Also bravo on the cover design. It wasn't until I was almost 3/4 of the way through that I saw the bees on the badge.

EDI
Fee
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
the word that came to mind after the first few chapters was juvenile. That's not a judgement, just a description.
Now that I have finished the book I think I will describe it as 'fluff'. It's much ado about nothing. Is fluff a good word for that?
I have read other books by Scott Meyer and I thought those were light, yet amusing. This book is amusing at times but a bit too light. I do think the characters and mean idea have potential.
Janet
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-on
I chose this audiobook because I thought it was a mystery/police procedural and because it is narrated by Luke Daniels. Luke Daniels is excellent as always, but I was wrong about the genre. Turns out it's labeled as humor and is closer to sci fi than to mystery. There's very little crime solving going on, and the humor escaped me. I gave up on this one about half-way through when it became apparent it wasn't going to get much better.
Nicola
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Meyer's Magic 2.0 series is one of my faves so I thought I'd try this - it was disappointing: I didn't like the main character and the plot was very predictable. The only things that saved it for me were the side characters and some funny moments at the start of the book - but otherwise it was mediocre.
Elizabeth
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Laughing". Very entertaining characters. I think they were stronger than the story but I had fun all the same. I’ll be looking at other books from this author. Hopefully there are more stories in this series.
Meghan
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
March 15, 2016 (2nd Read):

When sick, Scott Meyers is my go-to audiobook. He needs to write more. I can only re-listen so many times.

February 5, 2016 (Original Review):

Not as good as his others but still fun and served the function as being entertaining.
Christopher
Still entertaining, but I much prefer Scott Meyer's nerdy Off to Be the Wizard series. I've never been a huge fan of mysteries.
Onionboy
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic audiobook. This narrator reads all this author’s books, and does an amazing job. He does great voices for so many characters, male and female. I am partial to this author, I really like all his books. This one is just about as good as his other best books.
The plot is just your basic murder mystery, but the book is so much more than that. The book is really about the team, and all the personalities in it. He created such a great cast that he really has to do more books to tak
Jim
Add one part Christopher Moore, one part Carl Hiaasen with a dash of Tim Dorsey, shake (don't stir), and pour into a Looney Tunes Daffy Duck jelly glass, and you have Scott Meyer's hysterical novel, The Authorities. It is loaded with snarky dialogue, outrageous situations, a protagonist that makes the reader want to cheer for him or clock him in the head with a 2x4, and a cast of bizarre supporting characters.

Side note: Luke Daniels performance of the audiobook is one of the best I've heard in s
Chris Esposo
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Eccentric rich techie guy in Seattle decides to start a private detective agency just because, and hires a recently infamous junior detective in Seattle PD to his team as a kind of mascot (said junior detective subdued a criminal on love TV by beating him with a large metallic set toy). Then some hilarity ensues, some warm moments, no real mystery. Not the best of Scott Meyer, it is no Magic 2.0, but it's good. Significantly better than "Masters of Formality". Get it on sale
Synia
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great showing from Scott Meyer. I was hooked from the first page. The humor is often crude but in such a circuitous way that even a total prude like me can really enjoy it. You can tell a lot of work went into getting the details of the investigation right even with such a far fetched premise and a team member that uses bees for everything. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone that likes ideas of reality TV or comedic cop adventures.
Olof
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a way I did not want to like this book. Scott Meyers Magic 2.0-series has not been getting better, and this book had some weird characters with a very simple detective story. But I did enjoy the book, the banter, and the dialogue. I loved the narrator and how he gave the characters Character! And in the end - when the story had proved itself still a bit too simple - I just felt I wanted to stay a little longer with these characters. I was just feeling good :D
Brig
I can see why people enjoy this book but I just couldn't get myself to bite. I did finish it, and I can safely say, I have no doubt this book is the first of a series with at least three installments. So, if you liked it, I doubt you will be left without more quirky police work.
Dorian De La Mater
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Full of as many little bits of insights his other books have. Worth the time and a lot of fun! I wish it was a little longer but as I can assume is a series start it's a great one .
Scott Wozniak
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Charming, witty cop story (new guy stumbles into an embarrassing situation and ends up on a strange new crime consultant team). It's not an epic series, so the story isn't as aggressive or creative as I usually prefer. But it was a pleasure to read.
Gideon Sassoon
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Was better than I expected,

I was expecting a dullish cop story. But I got something a lot different defiantly in the comedic category. I hope to see more interesting and complex stories/mysteries and hopefully some more character development of the other members of the team.
Mapscat
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very fun read!

Great dialogue, quirky characters, and rich vibrant descriptions. Combine all that with fast pacing and a good solid story and you are looking at a great read! I just hope there will be a series!!
Kari Morandi
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this. Probably because it was quirky without being too insane.

I liked Rutherford. I could identify with him about not really knowing what's going on, but doing his b best. I think he did a great job.
Heather
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Funny book that is a tongue in cheek nod to a police procedural. Although it was funny and I enjoyed the atypical, quirky characters, it felt like a set up for a series with a lot more introduction to characters and their backstories over plot.
Marianmar
May 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own-audible
Meh, it was okay. It was entertaining, I'll give the author that. What saved it for me was narrator Luke Daniels...love his narrations. Don't know if I'll read anything else by this author, the story was good, but the writing, bleh.
  • Shadow Bound (Wraith, #2)
  • Killer Intent (Killer Intent, #1)
  • Vacant (Mindspace Investigations, #4)
  • Apocrypha Now
  • The Fangs of Freelance (Fred, the Vampire Accountant, #4)
  • Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)
  • The Puppet Spell
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • A Murder for the Books (Blue Ridge Library Mysteries #1)
  • The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • Critical Failures II: Fail Harder
  • Stinker Lets Loose!
  • A Reason To Believe
  • マスカレード・ホテル [Masukarēdo hoteru]
  • We Could Be Villains
  • My Fairly Dangerous Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #3)
  • Scam School Book 1
  • Murder on Nob Hill (Sarah Woolson Mystery, #1)
Scott Meyer has been a radio DJ, a stand-up comic, a writer for video games, an office manager, and a pretend ghost bellhop.

He is the creator of the comic strip Basic Instructions, and has now written a novel.

He and his wife live in Florida, to be close to their cats.
“People talk about New York and Los Angeles when they discuss terrible traffic, but those people are dilettantes. Any true connoisseur of terrible traffic knows that Seattle is something special. In fact, Rutherford suspected that a big part of the reason there were so many environmentalists in Seattle was that the city itself was designed to make you hate your car.” 2 likes
“all men tend to assume that they’re pretty good fighters until it is demonstrated to them that they are not.” 1 likes