Start by marking “The Prince's Consort (Chronicles of Tournai, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Prince's Consort (Chronicles of Tournai, #1)

The Prince's Consort

(Chronicles of Tournai #1)

Legends tell of large cats defending the principality of Tournai, but such creatures have been lost to time.

Or have they?

Prince Philip inherited the throne at a young age, and since then, his life has centered around ruling his country and resisting those pressuring him to take a wife and conceive an heirforcing him to hide his attraction to men. When kind-hearted Amory
Published October 16th 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Prince's Consort, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prince's Consort

Start your review of The Prince's Consort (Chronicles of Tournai, #1)
Sara
So, I am still new to this whole world of things that are fantasy and such. I saw this book and of course, a ginger on the cover caught my eye, but the blurb intrigued me. When I saw the additional tags on the site I pre-ordered it from I was worried because pregnant boys were WAY outta my comfort zone but that is my jam this year, so I went for it.

This was different. When I finally wrapped my muddled brain around the fact that this read as a historical but it was fantasy and the people having
Kazza
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Do not go in to The Princes Consort thinking high fantasy and lots of world building because youll be disappointed. Go in looking for a character driven alt-historical fantasy romance with lots of kissing (lots of it) and hand holding, with a little bit of steam only a little bit and youll be much happier. I downloaded a sample before I bought this book and based on the sample, and my mood, I liked it enough to purchase it and I can obtain DSP e-books as review copies, but I wanted to add ...more
M'rella
The first chapter, maybe part of the second too, was great. I thought the book was promising, but as soon as the prince (why was he a prince and not a king? @.o) took Amory into his chambers for a talk, that was it. Insta-love with myriads of kisses from there and on.

Nothing's happening in the first part of the book, while the second is full of drama: "don't do it, you'll die!!!" and "no I have to do it or you will die!!!" and "I can't stand to see you die!!!" and "I have to do it, even if I
Wax
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-have, kindle, mm
A low-angst romance set in a fantasy/historical world. I loved how the main couple, Phillip and Amory, were so sure of their love despite the obstacles thrown in their way. The mystery was fairly easy to solve but still entertaining nonetheless.
Amy
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-them
Good start for this author. I'm looking forward to reading the next book.
Teresa
An enjoyable book. I liked the main characters. I liked that the took things slow. There is much going on, and it felt a little drawn out.

But I loved the detailed kissing :)
Paula
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gillian
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up

I've had this on my Kindle for quite some time, but cracked it open the other day and found myself enjoying this very sweet, romantic story. It was the just the low-angst, low-drama book I needed to read right now.

Recommend if you need something a little sappy. Wait for a sale, though, because the publisher has set the ebook prices quite high.

Leaundra
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. I wasn't sure because it was fantasy and a new author to me. But it sounded good to me and I'm glad I took a chance. I loved Phillip and Amory from the beginning. They were so sweet together. I love when a new author and new book works out for me...
Nikyta
Reviewed on The Blogger Girls.

Phillip inherited the throne at a young age and lived his life around the country. When Amorys father offers Amory up as a pardon for a late commission both of them are mortified but that doesnt stop Phillip from actually considering it. After all, if Amory wont be his lover, he could always use a friend. When Amory says yes, their whole lives change for better and worse and as time goes on, their feelings for each other get deeper and deeper. Unfortunately, some
Sophia
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I was in the mood for a fantasy romance so I decided to try a new to me author while I was at it. Loved the writing style, the world, and the characters. The plot is both the romance and palace intrigue stuff which was great. The two main characters & their relationship was sweet and slow burn stuff which was perfect and believable. The book got slow at times, but was overall an engaging read. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
E.A.B. E.A.B.
Dec 03, 2015 rated it liked it
So, let me first by saying that this book is closer to a 3.5 than a 3, but I did not like it enough to give it a 4 star rating. While I did enjoy this book enough to read and finish, there were certain issues I had, actually several issues I had that warranted the 3 star rating.

1. The instalove. And not just "maybe I love him, maybe I don't" instalove. It was like Phillip met Amory and then decided he needed to be with him. Willing to anger his family, and possibly dishonor his name for a
Achim
The start was overly sweet but promising when Amory's father tries to whore out his son to gain favors from crown prince Philip but the story is using this cold infamy only to introduce Amory to Philip and give them a reason to move together.

This scene is stetting the mood for the complete story that shows only simple causality. There is nothing complex and unfortunately there is next to no world building. The prince has the ability to shift into a big black cat - so what, it only means that
Serena Yates
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There are various reasons for taking and ways to obtain a royal consort, should one be desired. In Tournai, a small country in a richly developed fantasy world, it used to be more common than it is in the period of this story but it is by no means unheard of. What horrifies Prince Philip when the opportunity is offered to him is the way it happens. Amory, the young man who is to become a bribe so his merchant father has more time to finish a chandelier the prince commissioned, is shocked when he ...more
Riina Y.T.
Slow start and sadly quite slow all over. Or perhaps it felt that way because it's very character-driven, heavily focused on the romance, very sweet and all, but without much of a "story" if you know what I mean.

I adore historical-fantasy romances and despite loving the characters I was bored for the most part of the book. Except for the magic and Philip's "cat-shifting" ability, there was nothing much else that added to the fun of the story. It was all very low-key and adventure-less :(

The
Daesy
Not a fan of the plot in the 3rd book...but gonna give this series a try.
Cail
Probably not going to finish reading this. At the 40% complete mark, and a real conflict has yet to emerge, only hints that some people don't approve of what is otherwise a drama-free relationship. The romance moves extremely quickly, just barely avoiding being love at first sight by trying to take the physical elements of the relationship slow. But there's an emotional bond between the two main characters which does not feel earned (because it happens so immediately upon their first meeting, ...more
Kara
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just a little warning before you read this book. This is a MPEG book and I know some are okay with that and some are not so I just wanted to put a little warning in this review. With shifters book this usually does not bug me at all and I have say the way the author wrote this into the book was perfect.
Now I will be honest and say it took me 3 or 4 times starting this book before it actually grabbed me and I think it was because while I do like sweet books sometimes they can be to sweet and I
Michelle Joyce Bond
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
A beautiful love story in an imaginative kingdom! This is the most romantic romance (if that makes sense!) I've read in quite some time--candles, castles, gorgeous rides through the countryside--all the good stuff! Phillip and Amory fight to overcome the social obstacles presented by those around them while their love deepens. This couple is absolutely dedicated to one other and have the kind of relationship most of us can only dream of. :)
Ada
meh meh meh. fictional world in which two men can get married but a male heir is still needed because woman can't inherited titles and land (what about the princess though)?

I had a whole rant written but that only made me sad. so yeah lots of points lost for these kinds of plotholes and douchefuckery (why is he still a prince? he rules the country. ..)
Anna
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm looking forward to the next book. I have to admit, I didn't see the bad guy coming...I was in the right ballpark, but the wrong seat!
Happy reading!
Veronica of V's Reads
4.5 Stars

Amory is the second son of a prominent glassmaker, and a consummate failure in his father's eyes. He prefers men, and is caught having a liaison with his oldest friend, Tristan, by his older and abusive brother at the opening of the story. Amory is sure he'll be cast out of his family and is bewildered why he is not. It turns out, that his conniving father has deeper plans, offering Amory's virginity to the crown prince of Tournai, Philip.

Philip detests the glassmaker, and is frustrated
Serena Yates
Beth doesn't write  enough reviews
Could have been so much better.

I dislike books that tell me the story rather than show me the story. There are many places where I felt an almost juvenile "See Spot Run" vibe. Seriously, we are told the two main characters prefer to ride to the estate and one entertains the other by pointing out landmarks and some historical points of interest. Several times they engage in light conversation. WTH?

I would have preferred the actual conversations. It's hard to get to know characters, get involved
Amy
This was too long for what it was. It needed a good, hard edit by someone who isn't afraid to question the purpose of certain scenes and who can suggest what to slash.

If you're expecting high fantasy, you won't get it here. It's insta-love ramped up to about a million, and I'm pretty sure every kiss in existence can be found in this book.

This book also had an overabundance of tell, instead of show. Pages and pages of narrative where we're told that they did this and then that, with no dialogue
Michael
3.5 Stars rounded up. Probably the best of the four books in the series so far and I did enjoy the characters. One thing I found bothersome and it seemed to get worse as the series went on was the repetition and over explanation of everything. In the fourth book there was one spot where there was one line of dialogue, then three pages of what the character was thinking, then another line of dialogue and two more pages of what the character was thinking.

However, I did enjoy the books. The fact
Joscelyn Smith
I've actually read this book before and absolutely loved it, this is a revamped version and I really enjoyed the changes made to the characters and storyline. Well-written an peopled with very engaging characters, I am so looking forward to reading more in the wonderful world.

*I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book provided by NetGalley*
Annarella
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a fun and entertaining fantasy with a sweet romance.
I liked the cast of characters, the world building and the plot that flows.
I want to read the other books in this series.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Alexis Woods
Well written and decidedly a whole new world. Slightly longer than I thought it should be, still I was enthralled. The shifter aspect isn't the main theme, it's romance with a mystery thrown in. The (view spoiler) was a surprise, and handles well with the magic aspects of the world.
Courtney
I received a review copy of this book via NetGalley.

A sweet and charming story with a lovely cast and interactions, and a promising set up for the next in the series.

• Azaran (The Brotherhood of Ormarr, #1)
  • What He Really Needs
  • The Prince and His Bedeviled Bodyguard (Paranormal Princes #1)
  • Warrior Mine (Destination Lost #3)
  • Dragon Lost (Dark Kings #16.5)
  • Mack's Perfectly Ghastly Homecoming (Mack's Marvelous Manifestations, #2)
  • Forever Home (Destination Lost, #2)
  • Falling for the Omega (Hobson Hills Omegas #1)
  • Salt Magic, Skin Magic
  • Ramen Assassin (Ramen Assassin #1)
  • Throwaway Mate
  • Healing Touch (Destination Lost #1)
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
  • The Prince and His Captivating Carpenter (Paranormal Princes, #2)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • Love at First Bite (Omega Destiny, International #2)
  • Zale (The Brotherhood of Ormarr, #2)
Antonia Aquilante has been making up stories for as long as she can remember, and at the age of twelve, decided she would be a writer when she grew up. After many years and a few career detours, she has returned to that original plan. Her stories have changed over the years, but one thing has remained consistent - they all end in happily ever after.

She has a fondness for travel (and a long list of

Chronicles of Tournai (7 books)
  • The Artist's Masquerade (Chronicles of Tournai, #2)
  • The Scholar's Heart (Chronicles of Tournai, #3)
  • The Sorcerer's Guardian (Chronicles of Tournai, #4)
  • The Dragon’s Devotion (Chronicles of Tournai, #5)
  • The Merchant's Love (Chronicles of Tournai, #6)
  • The Spymaster's Secret (Chronicles of Tournai, #7)

News & Interviews

Mary Pauline Lowry knows a thing or two about being stuck at home when you don't want to be. After all, the premise of her newest novel, The Rox...