Start by marking “Queers Destroy Horror! Special Issue (Nightmare Magazine, October 2015)” as Want to Read:
Queers Destroy Horror! Special Issue (Nightmare Magazine, October 2015)

Queers Destroy Horror! Special Issue (Nightmare Magazine #37)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  476 Ratings  ·  129 Reviews
NIGHTMARE is an online horror and dark fantasy magazine. In NIGHTMARE's pages, you will find all kinds of horror fiction, from zombie stories and haunted house tales, to visceral psychological horror.

Funded as a stretch goal of our sister-magazine LIGHTSPEED's Queers Destroy Science Fiction! Kickstarter campaign, this month we're presenting a special issue of NIGHTMARE ca
Published September 30th 2015 by John Joseph Adams

To ask other readers questions about Queers Destroy Horror! Special Issue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queers Destroy Horror! Special Issue

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Dating sucks. Especially when you can hear every thought the other person is having about you.
Palm Springs commercial photography

Then you go and eat something that you probably should not have........
Palm Springs commercial photography
I feel decadent and filthy, swollen with the cruelest dreams I’ve ever tasted.

You can find this short, creepy little read right here.

Thanks to Tom for bringing this little weirdness to my life.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I said I wasn’t going to read this, but then I did anyway because I have no willpower (and I was also pretending I was really busy working even though I wasn't shhhhhhhhhhh don’t tell). Now I’m thinking I need to ask the hubs if it’s okay for me to join Tinder and find Mr. Right . . . .

Althea Ann
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yes, the vampire genre has been done to death, but every so often we still get a twist on it that is fresh & original. Here we are given a tale of love and predation among Asian women in present-day New York City. (Bret Easton Ellis meets Amy Tan? ;-) I also think this would appeal to fans of Tanith Lee).

I liked the nuanced treatment of relationships between the characters, and the idea that a vampire might be irrevocably affected by the person whose essence they consume.

Wong is definitely
Elena May
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tor-shorts
I am amazed at this author's range. So far I've read three of her stories, and they are all so different in mood, style, atmosphere, setting, and everything possible, but each is very strong in its own way.

In "Hungry Daughters of Starving Mothers," our protagonist is a mythic creature that looks human and feeds on people's dark thoughts. She spends her time on online dating websites, looking for creeps that can feed her hunger. Unfortunately, the thoughts of her victims affect her, and she is lo
 ⚔ Sh3lly - Cranky Crone of Rabid Hedgehogs and Fire Breathing Kittens ⚔
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to ⚔ Sh3lly - Cranky Crone of Rabid Hedgehogs and Fire Breathing Kittens ⚔ by: Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
So when my friend Shelby posted a review saying this was FREE and CREEPY, I knew I had to check it out. It delivered! I really enjoyed this short story. The writing was great and the story really was...creepy. I don't want to give anything away. You should go read it.

Lily
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wong is a master at blending real and surreal. This enticing short story emphasizes the ugly while also giving a voice to Asian Americans. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Zak
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting and very dark short story. Winner of Nebula Award for Best Short Fiction (2015). You can read it at the link below:

Andreas
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Copied from my blog.

Summary:  Jenny tinders around not for one-night stands but to feed off the dark emotions and thoughts of her dates. After having had her first killer she knew why her mother taught her to stay with petty criminals: Nothing tastes good after such an overwhelming experience.

Review:  I usually avoid horror stories. I can't say that this time, I accidentally stumbled over it because I turned around it already a couple of time. After finally giving in (because I absolutely need t
Trish
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. What a wonderfully twisted and creepy short story this has been. And it was free!
To think I would have missed out on such a great story if it wasn't for a friend here reading and reviewing it.
Unfortunately I can't give any specifics as that would give too much of the story away. All I can say is that everybody got what they deserved and some of the initial thoughts right at the beginning could have come out of my head (hers, not his). :D
Bradley
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This short work is easily a brilliant alt-vamp novella that focuses more on eating thoughts and getting addicted to the bad ones... and then there's the neato twist at the end. :)

LOVED this one's twist.

The fact that it's a perfect blend of characters, interesting magic, tragedy, and pathos make it a nearly perfect story, right down to the slurping noises at the end. So cool! :) Friendship is the BEST.

(Some people who have read this story might think that I'm slightly sick, but that's okay. I'll
Tom Mathews
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
The 2016 Nebula Award winning short story by Alyssa Wong, a graduate student at North Carolina State University, is a deliciously chilling tale that is guaranteed to raise the hairs on the back of your neck. You can read it right here.
Alexander Páez
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
El relato ganador del Nebula 2016 es pura fantasía oscura. ¿Os imagináis que pudierais leer los pensamientos de la gente? ¿Y si solo os pudierais alimentar de los pensamientos negativos de los demás?

La protagonista queda con hombres dudosos para aprovechar sus pensamientos lascivos y obscenos para alimentarse de ellos. Algo que ha heredado de su madre. El resto no os lo cuento porque el relato es muy corto y me ha parecido muy original y atrevido. Una historia a la que voy a dar vueltas durante
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
My goal this year is to read more speculative fiction short story or novella to prep myself for full-length novel in the future.

Hungry Daughters of Starving Mothers follows the story of Meimei, a young woman who can swallow people. It's an ability her mother genetically passed down to her. However, she only eat men. This is horrifying great. I also didn't expected it to be a wlw story!

Highly recommend to newbie speculative fiction like me.
Melissa
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So far, this has been my favorite issue in the Destroy! series published by Lightspeed and Nightmare magazines. I'm not a big consumer of non-fiction, so I was surprised to enjoy the essays just as much as the short stories and poetry. Any fan of horror would enjoy this book, queer or not. It truly is superb.
Arielle Walker
It's good - dark and twisted and totally unusual - but having just devoured (sorry for the pun) the author's stunning A Fist of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers less than five minutes after reading this, I'm having trouble clinging to the plot.

Simply a case of an author raising the bar on her already excellent writing.
Definitely one to watch out for.
Erika
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Her hands smell like home, like rice flour and bad memories.
How could I ever forget her? How could I forget her taste, her scent, something as awful and beautiful as home?

oh my god????? watch out for this writer
Ctgt
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
7/10

What if you could see what someone was thinking...

What if you could feed on those manifestations.....
Laura Hughes
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Awesomely creepy and sad... went a little bit over my head, but I suspect a re-read will clear that up! :)
Paul
All of the stories, poems, and essays are written by queer authors. Rating the individual stories:

"Golden Hair, Red Lips" by Matthew Bright: 3/5 Interesting take on Dorian Gray and the ramifications of a Dorian Gray-like character in gay circles during the AIDS epidemic near San Francisco during the 1980s.

"Alien Jane" by Kelley Eskridge: 4/5 A heartbreaking tale about a psychiatric ward and a patient without pain receptors.

"The Lord of Corrosion" by Lee Thomas: 4/5 A truly atmospheric and scar
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {quester in a cashier's body}
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {quester in a cashier's body} by: Kelly (and the Book Boar)
They're never as strong as they think they are.

I just adore peer pressure.

This little gem fell into my lap and me having no idea what it was, who it was by, what it was about, or anything else one normally knows about a book (I'll explain at the bottom of the review) one wants to read.
Can I even call it a book? It's a sixteen-page ebook and I read the entire thing long-form style online.
Meh.
I'm not a technical person.

Let me begin by admitting that I have a love/hate relationship with short stori
Anastasia
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
UPDATE: For some reason they changed the name of a short story for a magazine issue, so I've read Hungry Daughters of Starving Mothers by Alyssa Wong, not the whole issue.

It was weird, but interstingly so. Although, unfortunately, didn't grab my attention in the way I wanted it too. It wasn't anything mindblowing or too special, although kind of creepy, which I enjoyed.
Vera Maharani
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
What in the loving name of God did I just read.

It was started with what seems like an innocent first date. Then the girl, who turned out to be a mind reader, found out that the guy is a killer. A normal girl would run away, fast, but this girl is not exactly normal...

As it went on, it became more strange, twisted, creepy, in all the way I did not expect before. Not my usual read but I am glad I read it.

Um. Actually, not sure if "glad" is the right word to say but ANYWAY you can read it free here
~~Poulomi Sylphrena Tonk$~~
Creepy and weird, this short piece is very deftly written. I'm guessing the protagonist was a shapeshifter, but I'm not very sure.

The title is what caught my attention. Sounds strange, but I thought it would be somewhat metaphorical with a much deeply laid story underneath. What I found was too much literal.
I'd restrict myself here or I'd land up spoiling it on the whole.

Nice work with the psychological aspect of the story. Its akin to something that sinks in slow and deep and stays there, lur
Mitticus
Dark and disturbing. Where 'we are what we eat' take a new meaning.

Fantasía oscura, atrapante. Una mujer se alimenta de los pensamientos más oscuros de la gente, hasta que un día una cita resulta tal vez demasiado , perturbando un modo de vida ya precariamente balanceado.

Relato corto ganador del nebula 2015 que pueden encontrar aqui.
Acqua
I’m barely home any more, spending most of my time in Seo-yun’s Chelsea apartment, learning to cook with the array of salts and spices infused with ugly dreams, drinking wine distilled from deathbed confessions.

There is a (kind of?) love triangle between three Asian women, and two of them are vampire-like people who eat bad thoughts.

Yes, I loved it.
CW (Read Think Ponder)
Dark, perverse, the right amount of creepy, but also undeniably compelling and deftly written.
I can't wait to read more of Alyssa Wong's works. <3
Justine
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bloody hell, someone get me a spew bucket
Jeraviz
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Si un relato te causa sensaciones como grima, inquietud o asco quiere decir que ha conseguido su objetivo. (Si el relato es de horror claro está, no de romance...que...bueno, tal vez también).
Original y atrevido. Estaría bien ver una serie sobre esto.
Anthony
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A really solid issue of fiction and essays. My thoughts on the eight short stories in the issue:

GOLDEN HAIR, RED LIPS by Matthew Bright. It's not really a spoiler to say that the main character is an immortal Dorian Grey, living in modern San Francisco at the start and height of the AIDS epidemic. His loves sicken and die, and a strange blond man stalks him with intimations that one of them is the cause of the plague. Bright's first person narration is very intimate and yet Dorian still seems re
Lisa
I contributed a poem (reprint) to this issue, and several other contributors are friends of mine. As a bisexual Latina whose first genre love was horror and who has friends and family all over the QUILTBAG spectrum, I fully support the mission of Queers Destroy Horror. That said, I find myself disappointed with the final product.

All the stories are well written. They are also all set in contemporary America. Matthew Bright's mesmerizing"Golden Hair, Red Lips" is set in 1980s San Francisco, and t
Wendy N. Wagner grew up in a town so tiny it didn’t even have a post office. With no television reception, she became a rabid reader, waiting impatiently for the bookmobile’s fortnightly visit to her tiny hometown. Today, her family struggles to find room for her expanding book collection in their Portland, Oregon, home. She buys books about history, weird animals, martial arts, gardening, and zom ...more
More about Wendy N. Wagner

Nightmare Magazine (1 - 10 of 64 books)
  • Nightmare Magazine, October 2012
  • Nightmare Magazine, May 2013
  • Nightmare Magazine, June 2013
  • Nightmare Magazine, July 2013

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)